• Published 29th Nov 2011
  • 38,351 Views, 1,450 Comments

Keeping It Simple - Ivory Piano



Big Mac suddenly finds himself on the business end of friendship.

  • ...
42
 1,450
 38,351

20. Splitting the Difference

Splitting the Difference

Octavia didn’t look her usual confident self as she stood beside Macintosh with the castle’s huge double doors looming over them. After straightening her tie for the fiftieth time, she went to Macintosh and made sure his vest was on right. Macintosh placed a hoof on her shoulder to catch her gaze.

“I’m sorry it had to go like this, Octavia,” Mac said with a somber frown, “but I’m turnin’ ya in.”

Octavia pushed his hoof away with a scoff. “Damn it, Macintosh, I’m nervous enough without your idiotic attempts at humor. Aren’t you the least bit tense at the thought of meeting Princess Celestia?”

Mac shrugged. “I met her before and she seems real nice. Applejack says she’s a real pushover unless you get on her bad side, and why would you ever get on her bad side? Ain’t like you go on and on about taking over Equestria or anythin’.”

Octavia glared daggers at him. “I swear, Macintosh, one more and I will knock you to the ground.”

Macintosh chuckled. She was smaller than him, sure, but she was scrappier too. “Fair enough, but truth is I’m more worried about leaving everypony snoozing in my guestrooms while I’m out here.”

“Some things can’t be helped,” Octavia said. “Especially clingy guests. I’m sure Rarity won’t allow them to wreak too much havoc.”

A guard in golden armor approached the two and bowed. He beckoned for them to follow him, and he led them through the doors and into the castle. The interior of the castle was just as glittery as the ballroom at the bachelor auction. Great draping curtains of silk and velour hung from the marble pillars, and paintings from classical eras long passed, paintings that should by all rights be in an art museum, hung from the walls.

The guard took them through another door that led into a long hallway decorated with stained glass. The guard bowed again and took his leave, closing the door behind him and leaving Octavia and Mac on their own. At the other side of the hall stood a throne, and on that throne, well, Mac didn’t have to take a guess.

Octavia pushed Mac forward and, after a few stumbling steps, he led the way toward Princess Celestia.

It was strange to see the stained glass that decorated the walls. They colored the light that shone through, and thus tinted the ground in shades of pink, yellow, blue, and red. The glass windows themselves depicted the numerous heroic deeds of his sister and her friends...their friends, he reminded himself. He sometimes forgot about their accomplishments and, in truth, often pushed the thought out of his mind.

He tore his eyes away from the windows as they reached Celestia at her throne. How was it possible for a pony to shine like the sun? Mac guessed it made some sort of sense considering that she raised the sun every morning. Her ethereal mane waved as if carried by a breeze. She smiled down at them as they both gave her a bow.

Celestia stood from her throne and stepped down to greet them. “Big Macintosh Apple, it is good to see you again, and is this the friend you told me about? The one who wishes to overthrow me and take my position of power?”

Octavia pushed Mac aside before he could speak. “Oh no, Princess Celestia, Macintosh was simply joking.” She forced out a nervous laugh and bowed so low her nose hovered an inch above the ground. “I am your loyal subject and would never, ever think to...”

As Octavia continued to talk, Celestia leaned down close to whisper in her ear. “I find your dishonesty very disrespectful.”

Octavia froze, and a visible shiver crawled down her back. “I-I...please don’t send me to the moon.”

“Look at me when you speak,” Celestia said, her voice now so low and stern that Macintosh gulped down a twinge of fear. But a single wink from the princess dissipated any panic he felt, and Mac knew everything would be fine.

Octavia inched her head up to look at Celestia. “I’m sorry.”

“Apology accepted,” Princess Celestia said with a smile. Octavia’s shivering stopped, she froze still. Celestia patted her head. “As a symbol of my forgiveness, how would you like to sit upon my throne?”

Octavia’s eyes widened, and she leaned over to look behind Celestia at the gleaming, plush seat of authority. “Do you really mean it?”

“Of course.” Celestia stepped aside and invited Octavia to take a seat with a wave of her hoof.

Octavia galloped, as if worried Celestia might change her mind. She wriggled into Celestia’s seat, snuggling in so tight it seemed as if the throne would consume her completely. She rested her hooves on the armrests and wore a grin wider than her mouth.

“I could get used to this,” Octavia said. She raised a hoof in the air and spoke in as booming a voice as she could muster. “Bring me the most beautiful ponies in Equestria so that I may assemble my harem. Macintosh, you will be my prized concubine, as well as my advisor of agriculture.”

Celestia chuckled. “I’m afraid I disbanded the royal harem at the start of my rule.”

Octavia’s face fell into despair. “What do you do for fun then?”

“Oh the usual,” Celestia said, “keeping an eye out for any threats to Equestria, its people, and all the goodness of this world.” Celestia turned her smile to Macintosh. “Might I interest you in some tea and cookies, Macintosh?”

“That’s a nice offer Miss, uh, Princess Celestia, but I ain’t much for tea,” Mac said. “Matter of fact, if I could be a bit blunt, I’m sure you invited me here for more than just my pleasant company. Don’t get me wrong, I’m honored you asked me to come here, but I’d be lying if I said I knew why.”

“You certainly have changed,” Celestia said. “So much more confident. As for why I have brought you here, you said so yourself in your letter that I should contact you if I had any land for you.”

Mac’s heart jumped into his throat. “You...You’re giving me land?”

“She’s not giving you anything,” Octavia said. “All land in Canterlot is the property of the princess. When you buy land here, you’re really just buying a lease to use the land in exchange for paying a tax on it.”

“Octavia is correct,” Celestia said. “However, this plot of land is twenty acres in a valley at the very edge of Canterlot’s boundary, a good hour-long hike from the border of the city proper. It is a place where nothing grows, for the earth is hard and malnourished in the summer and turns into a thick mud in snow and rain. I have long ago thought it nothing but a lost cause, but seeing you and reading your friendship report has made me curious to see what your hooves, and your earth pony magic, could do for that land. What do you say, Macintosh?”

“I, well...” Mac stuttered to say something, anything, but the prospect of being given twenty acres of land suddenly brought back a tidal wave of self-doubt. Mac took a deep breath and thought about his words. “I’m really honored you got so much faith in me, Princess Celestia, but I think it might be a bit too much faith. Sure, I talked a pretty big game, but when you start going on about a plot of land so barren that even you gave up on it, well, I can’t help but feel a mite worried. Besides, I ain’t even sure...”

Celestia gave him a warm smile. “My faith is well placed. Would you feel better if you had a look at it first? I could teleport us there.”

“I’d like that,” Macintosh said. “I could really get a feel for how much work needs to be done.” He turned to Octavia, still half sunk into the throne. “You comin’, Octi?”

“Go on without me,” Octavia said, sinking deeper into the cushion. “I have much to do here, such as sitting on this throne and ordering guards about.” She looked down at Mac with a small frown and waved her hoof. “Come forward, Macintosh. I have something to say to you.”

Macintosh quirked an eyebrow and walked to the foot of the stairs that led up to the royal seat.

“I will now dispense wisdom from this golden throne,” Octavia said with a regal tone. She sat up straight and glared down at him. “I can see it in your eyes, that worthless self-doubt you always have. I don’t know why it’s there. I have never seen you more at peace than when you were on your family’s land. You belong on a farm, Macintosh, just as I belong behind a cello. Some ponies have told you otherwise, and for some inane reason you believed them. Well, I can assure you they’re quite mistaken. I know this, you know this, so do not doubt yourself. Do you understand?”

“Eeyup,” Mac said with a smile.

Octavia smiled back. “Now go, and hurry back. I want to go home as soon as possible. You’ve kept me waiting for quite some time, after all.”

“I’ll be sure to keep it short,” Mac said.

“Are you ready?” Celestia asked, her horn glowing.

Macintosh nodded, and a flash of light blinded him for a split moment.

He felt the freezing wind first, a breeze from the heart of winter piercing both his coat and the autumn day like a needle. His vision came back slowly, and when the world came back into focus Mac found himself within the shadow of a mountain. He stood on a barren field without trees or plants. It stretched to the horizon. Mac looked at the ground, flat and even and hard as rock. He stomped on it, and a spider web of cracks stretched from beneath his hoof. He picked up a chunk of the dirt. Hard clay. He brought the clay to the tip of his tongue and grimaced. Lots of salt in the soil, no doubt about that.

“Is this it?” Mac asked.

“It is,” Celestia said. “Do you think you can help it?”

“You sure know how to pick ‘em,” Mac said. “Nothing but salt and clay here, not to mention all the shade from the mountain.” He ran a hoof through his mane and stared off into the distance for a long time until a hint of a smile pulled at the corner of his mouth. “I think...I might be able to do something, but it’ll take a long time, a really long time. It might take me months just to get the soil where it needs to be to grow anything.”

“Believe me, I have nothing but time. As for you, well, it seems that you are actually relishing the amount of time it will take.”

“Not the time, the work.”

The two said nothing else for a long while and only looked at the horizon. Steel-gray clouds floated over them and blocked out the sun, and moments later small snowflakes fell. Mac raised his hoof and stared at the snow that fell there. Snowfall this early in the year? Mac supposed it made sense, being so high up in the mountains. Early frost. Another obstacle for his new farm to overcome.

“Not everyday a pony gets to see the start of their life’s work,” Mac said, more to himself than to the princess beside him. “Now I just gotta figure out how to break the news to Applejack.”

“Do you think it will upset her?”

“Don’t rightly know,” Mac said with a sigh. “I made such a big deal about getting off of Sweet Apple Acres...she might think I’m just going around in circles. Heck, maybe I am, but it feels right.” Macintosh looked at the hard earth and shrugged. “But there’ll be plenty of time to worry about that. For now, I think we should talk business, Mis–uh–Princess Celestia. I’m sure there’s a lot of stipulations and such to be worked out.”

Celestia chuckled. “Yes, there are. My sister will be discussing the finer details with you. She thinks me too lenient when negotiating with my subjects. She’s taken all such matters of mediation upon herself.” Her horn glowed again. “We should go back. She’s waiting for us, and I would hate to keep her waiting for much longer.” Another flash of light blinded Mac for a moment. He didn’t mind so much this time.

A line of servants holding silver, fruit-burdened platters waited by the throne as Octavia called them up one by one to feed her. The flash of light caught her off guard, and she quickly shooed away the servants, scattering them out of the hall. Octavia crossed her legs, taking a nonchalant pose. “Back already? How did it look?” She asked.

Mac watched the platter-carrying ponies run off to the exit. It gave him enough time to pause and think of the right word. “Interesting,” he finally said. “Celestia is takin’ me to write up the contract with Princess Luna. Wanna come?”

“Princess Luna?” Octavia said with a strange smirk. She hopped off the throne, but she gave the cushion a loving stroke before descending the stairs. “In that case I should come along indeed. If she had her way, you would be working the land for nothing but a slice of bread dressed with mustard. Just let me do all the talking, and you’ll be fine.”

“You got experience at this sort of thing?” Big Mac asked.

Octavia laughed. “Macintosh, please, I’ve been negotiating my own contracts since I could hold a cello, and I’ve dealt with Princess Luna before. Lead the way, Princess Celestia.”

Celestia smiled. She said nothing as she led the two out of the throne room and up a flight of stairs. Macintosh kept close behind the princess until Octavia placed a foreleg across his chest and slowed him down until they were a considerable distance behind her.

“As much as I enjoy the view from back here,” Octavia said. “We should discuss our strategy. Tell me about the land, every fault and every virtue.”

Mac nodded. “The lands almost all clay, lots of compaction and lots of salt, with almost no pitch far as I can tell by the naked eye. It’s gonna take me almost a year, maybe more, just to make it hospitable for cover crops, let alone apple trees. Not to mention workin’ out a drainage system, a waterin’ system during the short summer up there, and figurin’ out a way to protect the plants during the early frost. But I think there’s some good soil there. Clay holds nutrients and water awfully well. Once I take care of all the big things, the only problem I’m gonna have is keeping too many plants from growin’ all at once.”

“Wonderful to know,” Octavia said. “What do you want most out of this deal? Money, status, primae noctis? All good things to ask for.”

“I want to own the land,” Macintosh said with no hesitation. “But...that sounds pretty impossible, doesn’t it? I doubt the princesses are gonna let me own it when everypony else technically only leases land.”

Octavia smiled, pressed her side against his, and brought her lips to his ear and whispered. “If you want to own the land, then you will own it. Just leave it to me.” She nipped his ear and made Mac’s cheeks burn.

Celestia opened a door that led into a sun room where rays of light filtered in through the plum-colored curtains. A small circular table laden with steaming cups of tea was in the center of the room. Princess Luna sat at one side with her eyes closed, an air of mystique as thick as her mane flowing about her.

“Good day, sister,” Luna said, she took a sip of tea and slowly opened her eyes. “Did you bring–” Her eyes widened, and her cheeks puffed out as Luna struggled to keep her tea inside her mouth. She swallowed. “You!” Luna shot to her hooves, her mug falling to the ground only to be caught by Celestia’s magic. “What are you doing here?”

Octavia smirked. “I have a vested interest, Lulu. I’m sleeping with the signatory.”

Mac nudged Octavia’s side.

“Ah, well, sleeping in the literal sense, not the fun sense. Although once we get home I assure you we’ll be h–”

“We should get started,” Mac interrupted. He took a step forward and gave Luna a respectful bow. “It’s a pleasure to meet ya, Princess Luna. My name’s Big Macintosh Apple, and I’m–”

“Yes, I’m well aware of who you are,” Luna said, taking back her seat. “Please, sit down and have some tea. Octavia...I suppose you may sit as well, but do not test my patience.”

“When have I ever?” Octavia said.

Octavia and Mac sat across from Luna while Celestia sat halfway between each like a referee. They each sipped at their tea for several quiet seconds, and Macintosh wondered at the whole decorum of these sorts of meetings. He looked over at Octavia. Their eyes met and she brought her cup to her lips. Keep drinking. Macintosh did so and quietly marveled at the status of his company. If only his mom could see him now.

Once everyone had finished their tea, a servant came to clear out the table. Luna wasted no time in replacing the tea set with a sheet of parchment with writing so small an ant could carry away a sentence. Luna brought out a quill and a small vial of ink and levitated it by Macintosh.

“This is our standard agreement for commissioned workers. You will be paid an annual salary along with a yearly budget for improvement of the land, both of which are outlined in further detail in clause two of article three, subsection A, section five: Finances. Also laid out are procedures and rubrics for yearly inspections to make sure your progress is meeting our expectations. As well...” Luna went on about the particulars of the agreement, and Octavia took the contract and combed through it with the eyes of a hawk. Macintosh peered over her shoulder. He understood the words, but somehow, probably through magic, familiar words were strung together to comprise strange ciphers of text.

“No, no, this won’t do,” Octavia interrupted with a scoff. “You’re paying him less in a year than what I make in a slow month.”

Luna pressed her lips together in a scowl. “Your wages have no relevance.”

Octavia ignored her. “And this budget is absolutely miniscule. And what’s this? The kingdom keeps the land, the produced grown, and all the equipment and supplies used? No, no, no.” Octavia grabbed the quill and crossed out various parts of the contract and replaced them. Once finished, she slid the parchment to Luna. “This is our counter.”

Luna read Octavia’s edits, and some color drained from her face. “This wage is outrageous. Truly, truly, truly outrageous! Much more than I would ever pay for a common laborer.”

“A laborer?” Octavia jumped to her hind legs, slammed down her hooves on the table, and bared her teeth. “A laborer! You insult me! The very notion that he is of the same caliber as any random muscle-headed stallion off the street speaks of the immense vacuousness of your skull. He is a specialist with unrivaled tenacity, kindness, and patience. The wage reflects that. If the wage is too much then we will gladly forego it altogether but for nothing less than outright ownership of the land, its crops, its dirt, and everything on, in, beneath, and above it!”

“Absolutely not!” Luna said, copying Octavia’s motions.

Macintosh looked at Celestia. She still had the same serene smile on her face. Well, if Celestia wasn’t worried, then there certainly wasn’t any reason for him to be.

Luna continued. “That land belongs to the Kingdom of Equestria and thus the royal family. It always has and it always will. For all I know, Macintosh Apple will fail to grow a single blade of grass on that land. There have been hundreds of ponies that have promised golden apples from that barren wasteland over the years, and they all have failed. Why should this one be any different?”

“Because he is Big Macintosh Apple, but if that is not enough proof then ask your sister. She certainly holds more faith in him than you. Doesn’t that count for anything?”

“Faith does not grow fruit.”

“Neither do hoarded bits.”

Macintosh cleared his throat, and the three mares around the table looked at him. “Princess Luna,” he began, “I understand why you believe your contract is the best. Heck, if some pony came in and promised me the stars, I’d be mighty suspicious too. After all, the only thing you got to go on is your sister’s word and mine. But I can promise ya that I will have something to show on that farm sooner rather than later. In fact, I’m so sure that I can grow something there that I’m willing to propose a friendly bet.”

“A bet?” Luna tilted her head. “And what sort of bet do you propose.”

“It’s simple,” Macintosh said. “We’ll go by your contract, the wage, the budget, the ownership, everything, for an entire year. If, at the end of that year, I’ve managed to grow something, anything, we switch to Octavia’s draft of the contract. But if I haven’t grown a single leaf before the year is up, then you can go ahead and fire me. I’ll even pay back the wage.”

Luna stared at Macintosh, her eyes going up and down as she sized him up. “Not a very prosperous wager on my part. If you lose, I and my sister are back to where we started.”

“Then I’ll sweeten the pot,” Octavia said. “If we lose, then I’ll play at all kingdom-sponsored events for free. How does that sound, Lulu? No more need to negotiate my pay before every event. Although I’ll dearly miss the hours and hours spent sucking every bit from the crown’s tender teat.”

“I will admit, the prospect of never haggling with you again is tempting,” Luna said.

“I’ll throw in something as well,” Celestia added. “I’ll allow you to move the sun.”

“You would allow me to move the sun?” Her mouth agape, Luna pinned her ears and sank into her seat as if held down by the very weight of her sister’s offer. She looked at Macintosh and gave him a glare that seemed to pierce his very heart. “Octavia was right,” Luna said, “you do have much faith in him, sister. Very well, Big Macintosh Apple, you have a wager, but I will be sure to keep a close eye upon your progress.” She took out a fresh sheet of parchment and laid it on the table. A quill hovered and whirled around the page as it drafted a new contract in the same tiny writing. It took longer for the ink to dry than it did to write the actual words.

“Have a look, it states all the details of our little wager, including copies of my and Octavia’s contracts,” Luna said.

Octavia read over the contract with narrowed eyes. She met Mac’s gaze and nodded, and Macintosh nodded back. He took the quill and signed his name in bold, blocked letters as thick as a furrow. Not the fanciest signature around, but it was straight and neat. Luna signed her own name, a signature thin, curved, and sweeping like a wisp of cloud blown by a strong, summer breeze.

Luna engulfed the contract in her magic, and a second copy appeared. Octavia took the copy, made sure it was exactly the same, and then rolled it up and placed it in Mac’s vest pocket.

“It’s official,” Celestia said with a smile. “So what is your first act as our farming specialist?”

“Well, since it’s autumn, I take it that a lot of flowers and trees in your garden are wilting and shedding their leaves. If you could gather up all of that, plus your extra clippings and such, I could use all that as mulch and get a good start on fixing up that soil.”

“Consider it done,” Celestia said.

“All right, now that everything is all settled, we should really be going.” Octavia pulled Macintosh to his feet and pulled him toward the door. Macintosh rolled his eyes but allowed himself to be dragged away.

“Oh, so soon?” Celestia asked. “Are you sure you wouldn’t like to stay for another cup of tea?”

“We would love to, but we have a lot of business waiting for us back home. Come now, Macintosh, we don’t want to waste any sunlight or moonlight.”

“It was a pleasure meetin’ ya, Mis–Princess Luna,” Mac said as Octavia pushed him out the door. Octavia closed the door behind them, and together they made their way out of the castle.

The sun had started to set, and a weather team from Cloudsdale was arranging clouds for another night of heavy rain. Or would it be snow today? He hadn’t been keeping up with the forecast, and the snow over his new farm made it a very real possibility.

The entire walk home Octavia pressed her side against Mac’s. She nipped at his neck several times along the way, causing him to blush. He did his best to keep his sight straight down the road they walked, and he tried to pretend not to notice the looks Octavia’s displays of affection incurred from passing ponies.

“It ain’t like I enjoy the attention,” Mac said, “but could ya maybe wait until we’re alone in the apartment before you start chewin' on me?”

“I’ll only bite harder once we’re alone,” Octavia said with a smirk.

“I’ll take my chances.” Mac supposed he had brought this upon himself. He had promised Octavia, after all. A gentle mist of snow fell on them. Without hesitating, Mac took off his vest and draped it over Octavia. She smiled and pushed her front hooves through. She patted the contract.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t get you the land outright,” Octavia said.

“Don’t even worry about it, sugarcube,” Mac said. “I’m the one that butted in with that bet. Between you and me, though, I ain’t worried one bit about it. I’ll have radishes growing by spring, saplings planted by summer, apples by autumn.”

Octavia chuckled and leaned her head against Mac’s shoulder. “I’ll be eager to see the pathetic look on Lulu’s face, but, for now, why don’t we quicken our pace, get home, have a little drink, and unwind?”

“You know, there’s a chance that everypony’s still at my apartment. In fact there’s a good chance they wouldn’t leave until they got a goodbye,” Mac said. They had arrived at their building, and Mac entered the code for them to get in.

“If that happens, then I will personally kick them all out,” Octavia said. She smashed the button for the topmost floor on the elevator. “Now, technically, we are in private. I doubt any other ponies will need to use the elevator or that there will be ponies in that hallway between the elevator and your door. So might we...” Octavia trailed off, her heavy-lidded gaze telling Mac everything he needed to know, and a few things he didn’t.

Mac smiled and brought his lips close to Octavia’s ear. The elevator dinged as it reached the top floor. The hallway was indeed empty. With a small smile, Mac lowered his head to give Octavia a small nip at the tip of her ear, a little payback for all the nips she gave him on the way here. Mac made his way through the hall without a word, and he could feel Octavia’s intense stare on him the whole way, but he didn’t look back.

He entered his apartment, Octavia close behind. Mac scanned the room to see if anyone remained, but the apartment was empty with nothing but the dull light of cloud-filtered sun filling the room. Mac breathed a sigh of relief. They had cleaned up before going, he was glad for that, but...a part of him wished he could’ve stayed long enough to say goodbye and thank you.

Octavia tackled him before he could worry about it too much. It wasn’t a very forceful attack, but Macintosh played along and fell over on his back. He was rewarded with Octavia’s sly grin as she loomed over him.

“Can I help ya with something?” Mac asked.

Octavia chuckled. “Oh, don’t play coy with me. You have kept me waiting for a very long time, and rest assured I’m going to make you regret that wait.” She shrugged off Mac’s vest and threw it on the floor beside the couch. Her bowtie followed after it.

“You’re all talk, ain’t ya?”

Octavia brought her nose to touch against his. She looked into his eyes for a few moments, and Mac could see all her edges melt away. Her smile became sincere, and her eyes lost their sharpness and gazed at him with genuine happiness. It was a good look on her. She eased down, putting her entire weight on him, and wrapped him up in a hug. She took a deep breath and let it out slow. She brought her mouth to his ear.

“I–”

The intercom’s harsh buzz interrupted her.

At first, Octavia tried to ignore the sound and focused back on Macintosh with a forced smile, but the intercom buzzed again and again and again, until it was clear that the pony on the other side was growing impatient. So was Octavia. She climbed off him and crushed the intercom button beneath her hoof.

“What?” she snarled.

“Howdy, Octavia,” Applejack said without missing a beat. “Just came over to check up on my big brother. Ah didn’t get much of a chance to talk to ‘im yesterday.”

“He’s busy.”

“With what?”

“With me. Come back in...” Octavia tilted her head as she did some quick math, “never.”

“Octavia!”

Octavia released the button and switched the intercom to silent. She took a deep breath and slowly turned back to Macintosh. She sauntered to him and regained her position of him. “Now where were we?” she asked with a hungry grin.

Macintosh looked over at the door. “Octavia, maybe we should–”

Octavia pressed her lips against his, and Mac’s heart leapt into his throat. He didn’t resist. Maybe, just this once, Applejack could wait. Octavia lifted her head away from him and gave him a sly smirk. But he could see past her bravado. She was out of breath.

“Were you saying something?” She said between gulps of air.

Mac returned her smile, but one of the bedroom doors creaked open before he could offer a quip. They froze, and Rainbow Dash stumbled out of Mac’s room with a yawn. She walked past them and into the kitchen as she rubbed the sleep from her eyes. She poured a glass of milk and downed it in one gulp. She tossed the glass into the sink and headed back to Mac’s room.

That’s when she finally noticed them. Her eyes widened, and she took a step back. “Woah, hey,” she said. “What are you two doing here?”

Octavia shot to her hooves, hackles raised. Her eyes sharpened to their usual piercing glare, and her teeth clenched into a scowl. She sat back forcefully on Mac’s stomach, winding him.“What are we doing here? Rainbow Dash, I ought to strangle you.” Octavia climbed off of Big Macintosh and approached her. “What the hell are you still doing here?”

“Geez, calm down,” Rainbow Dash said, trying her best to hold back laughter. “Thanks to you and Rarity yappin’ I hardly got any sleep last night. But hey, it looks like you finally decided to commit. Congrats.”

“You know about us, sugarcube?”

“Know? Mac, if it wasn’t for me you two wouldn’t even be a thing. I told Octavia yesterday that if she didn’t do it I would.”

Macintosh had many questions, but he couldn’t ask even one before the front door slammed open.

“Where is she?” Applejack yelled out. “Where’s that two-faced varmint.”

“Applejack! Let’s not do anything hasty,” Rarity said, following Applejack as she charged into the apartment.

“Oh how lovely, more company. Just what I always wanted,” Octavia said. “How did you even get in here?”

“Simple, I just batted my eyelashes at a passing resident,” Rarity said. “She let us in without a second thought. Although, if I knew what you two were up to I wouldn’t have bothered.” She looked at Macintosh, still on his back, and he quickly rolled onto his hooves, tossing Octavia aside in his haste.

“Now listen here you–”

“Applejack, don’t be so angry at Octavia,” Rarity interrupted. “If I were her I probably would have done the same, a bit nicer, but about the same.”

Octavia scoffed. “If you were me, you’d still be arranging the rose petals.”

“If you were me, you would have thought of a much better retort,” Rarity said with a smug smile. “But I’m curious to find out what happened between you and Macintosh. Did you cave in and agree to a relationship, or has he finally broken the chains of mainstream social convention in order to live a promiscuous and free-spirited lifestyle? Because if it’s the latter I would like to have a word.”

“This isn’t exactly somethin’ I wanna discuss in front of my sister,” Mac said.

“Well it’s something Ah wanna discuss,” Applejack said. “Ah wanna know what the deal is here. Last Ah heard you two decided to just be friends.”

“That didn’t last long,” Rainbow Dash added.

“Right,” Applejack said. “So now Ah gotta make sure Octavia’s got proper intentions.”

Octavia smirked. “Proper intentions? Oh yes, I intend to properly gyrate my–”

Macintosh bumped Octavia with his side. “You know what? I just realized we got company over an’ we didn’t even offer ‘em any drinks. Let me brew up some coffee, and Ah’m sure Ah got some cookies somewhere ready to go.” He hurried into the kitchen, and busied himself with serving drinks.

“Good idea,” Applejack said, “then you can tell me all about what’s going on between you two.” Applejack sat down on the couch. Rarity and Rainbow Dash sat beside her while Octavia took her usual seat in her recliner.

Macintosh rolled his eyes as the coffee dripped into its pot. He set out a plate of butter cookies on the coffee table, and poured out four mugs of coffee and set them beside the cookies. He stayed standing.

“Honestly, Macintosh,” Rarity said with a sigh as she caught sight of his vest. Macintosh sucked in his lips as she used her magic to bring it to her. “I work so hard to make this vest for you, and here it is on the floor getting dirty. I expected much more from you.” She started folding the vest, and the contract fell out and unfurled on the ground. Her eyes were all over the page before Mac could say anything. Rarity’s eyes widened.

“Macintosh, you have a bet with Princess Luna?” she shouted in surprise. Rainbow Dash and Applejack snapped their attention to her.

“A bet with the princess?” Applejack asked, getting out of her seat. “For what?”

“Land,” Big Macintosh said. He figured if anyone was going to tell his sister, it needed to be him. “Twenty acres for a farm.”

“A farm?” Applejack said. “What the heck are you gonna do with a farm?”

“Farm it.”

Applejack rolled her eyes. “You know what Ah mean. What happened to finding your happily ever after in Canterlot? And twenty acres? Are you insane? There’s no way you can work that kind of acreage without gettin’ back into your old habits all over again.” Applejack glared at him. “Is that what you want? To go back to how things were? Ah thought we got over that?”

“We did,” Macintosh said. “But I want to work on a farm again, one right here in Canterlot. And it ain’t like I’m gonna do it alone. I’m gettin’ some help from the kingdom, at least for a year, and by then I’ll be able to hire a couple of helpers.”

“It’s true, Applejack,” Rarity, showing her the contract. “Princess Celestia and Princess Luna agreed to provide workers, supplies, and equipment, in exchange for all food grown. It’s actually very cunning. They take care of all the costs of starting up a farm, and if Mac grows anything he gets to keep the land and the crops.” Rarity narrowed her eyes in thought. “I’m surprised Princess Luna, a pony known for her immense wisdom, signed this. The odds are surely against her.”

“I’m sure Lulu isn’t losing much sleep over it,” Octavia said. “For a pony of steadfast faith in second chances, she isn’t too keen on first-chances. Not that I’m complaining.”

“That’s all great but...no, no, I just...” Applejack shook her head and looked around the room for something to help her cause. “What do you think, Rainbow Dash?”

“It doesn’t matter what she thinks,” Octavia said before Dash could respond. “It doesn’t matter what any of you think. This farm is happening, it has already been decided, by him.” Octavia pointed at Macintosh. “What purpose is there in discussing it?”

“The purpose is makin’ sure my brother ain’t about to do somethin’ foolhardy,” Applejack said, her eyes narrowed in a scowl. She stomped closer to Octavia and leaned her head close to glare at her. “Ah only want what’s best for him. That’s what Apples do. They take care of their family.”

Octavia didn’t back away from Applejack, but neither did she meet her aggressive stance. Instead, she smiled, and when she spoke it was with the same honey-sweet tone she always used to coat her insults. “Oh, of course. Do forgive me Applejack, I had completely forgotten that the Apple family knows exactly what is best for Big Macintosh. Like the time your uncle made a bet with him, a small child, that could have doomed him to indentured servitude, or the time you kicked him off the farm he devoted his entire life to, or right now, when–”

Macintosh pressed his side against Octavia, and she stopped to lock eyes with him. She hardened her jaw and blew air from her nose in annoyance. She turned away from Applejack and walked away to calm down a bit and steady her breathing. Macintosh took her place in front of his sister.

“Applejack, Octavia’s right about the farm. I really appreciate you worryin’ about me, but you gotta trust that I know what I’m doing. Heck, if you don’t trust me, then trust our friends, trust yourself. I’m sure y’all’ll tell me if I’m goin’ overboard.”

Applejack sighed. “Ah know, Ah know, it’s just...” she trailed off and for a split-second her eyes flicked toward Octavia, still with her back to them.

“What?” Macintosh asked, looking over his shoulder at Octavia. “What about Octavia?”

“What about me?” Octavia said, coming back to rejoin the conversation.

Applejack rubbed her temple. “Look, Octavia, Ah don’t mean offense but...Fiddly told me all about your...work ethic. She wouldn’t shut up about it. Like the time you played at Celestial Hall with a broken foreleg, and ya carved out little nubs on your cast to press the strings.”

Octavia smiled. “Ah yes, I remember. Paganini Caprice Twenty-Four. That performance put me on the map and made me the scourge of every violinist from here to Fillydelphia.”

“Right. Thing is, Ah’m a little worried that you two are gonna...encourage each other in the wrong sorta way,” Applejack said. “Might be that the two of ya start focusin’ more and more on your jobs.”

“Is that all?” Octavia said. “I’m sure if either of us feel neglected we’ll make sure to tell each other.”

“If that was the only thing, it wouldn’t be all that big a deal,” Applejack said, “but, well, Ah don’t think you two are...Let me put it this way. Octavia, do you want kids?”

“Absolutely not.”

“Plan on getting married?”

“Never.”

“Ya see what Ah mean?” Applejack said to Mac. “Ah know for a fact you want a family of yer own, Mac, and Octavia doesn’t. Part of me can’t help but think that if you two go on yer just gonna end up hurtin’ each other.”

Mac and Octavia looked at each other. Mac knew Applejack had a point. And yet, when he looked into Octavia’s eyes, he knew that he wanted to try.

“You're right, Applejack,” Mac said. “We might break up over those things, or we might not. Either way, I...I want to stick with her. I wanna see where this goes, and if we break up, well, I’ll certainly learn something from it.”

“Can I say something?” Rainbow Dash said.

“Yeah, go ahead,” Applejack said. “Maybe you can talk some sense into ‘em.”

Rainbow Dash leapt off the couch and stepped in front of Octavia. She placed a hoof on Octavia’s shoulder. “Listen, Mac’s a really nice stallion. Too nice. It’s probably why he stayed on Sweet Apple Acres for way too long. I always knew that the pony he would end up with would have to be tough. Tough enough to look out for him. So, watch his back, will ya? I’m sure he’ll pay you back with all the mushy, romantic stuff you can handle.”

Octavia actually smiled and placed a hoof over Dash’s. “I’m glad I’m not the only one that noticed how hopelessly agreeable he can be. I’ll watch over him, so long as he shows his appreciation daily.”

“So you’re alright with this, Rainbow?” Applejack asked.

“Yeah, of course. Octavia’s the sort of pony that’ll mess you up if you mess with her or somepony she cares about, plus she’s super hot and super talented. Ticks all the boxes for me,” Rainbow Dash said.

“Why thank you, Rainbow Dash,” Octavia said. “I’ve always found you very attractive and talented as well.”

“What about you, Rarity,” Applejack said. “You gotta have something against this.”

Rarity sipped at her coffee. “To be perfectly honest, Applejack, I simply don’t know enough of the surrounding circumstances to make an informed opinion. It’s true that when I first met Octavia, I thought her quite rude and troublesome, but she has certainly surprised me in the months since. What I want to know most of all, Octavia, is how you came to decide to finally make things official between you and Macintosh. Perhaps if I knew your reasoning, I’ll be able to give this my approval.”

“Why would I ever want that?” Octavia said. “I don’t need your approval, and I certainly don’t need Applejack’s.”

“You sure about that?” Applejack said. “Much as Ah love my family, they can be mighty overwhelming for newcomers. Yer gonna need me on your side, and Ah’m happy to do that. But how do Ah know that you ain’t gonna run off as soon as you see how crazy our family can be?”

“Nice try, but I already know how crazy your family can be,” Octavia said.

Macintosh tapped her shoulder and shook his head. No, she really had no idea how crazy his family could be. Octavia pinned her ears as she understood Mac’s meaning.

“So let’s hear it,” Applejack said. “What made you change your mind?”

Octavia clenched her teeth and looked at each of the ponies around her. “Fine, I suppose it’s not the worst story ever told.”

-*-

Octavia stared at the ceiling of Mac’s guestroom, at the ugly popcorn stucco she had meant to replace before Macintosh moved in. She sighed, and rolled to her side to stare at the two ponies on the floor. Rarity had fallen asleep after their long discussion of gossip concerning the various ponies that attended the bachelor auction earlier that day. Rainbow Dash, on the other hand, was still awake and staring right at her. Good.

“Rainbow Dash,” Octavia said in a soft voice that didn’t really suit her. “Did you mean what you said? That if I didn’t claim Macintosh, you would do it yourself?”

“Why wouldn’t I mean it?” Rainbow Dash said. She rolled onto her stomach and laughed into her pillow. “It’s kind of funny. Rarity told me that the only reason she didn’t get with Mac was because she’s too scared of messing up her friendship with AJ if things go bad.

“I thought it was stupid, but I kind of feel where she’s coming from. I’m scared to make a move because it might ruin what I have with Mac right now. I really like what we have going. It’d be a huge risk asking for more. Much bigger than a corkscrew feint or blindfolded dive. At least broken bones heal. But you, you’re scared more than me and Rarity combined, and I don’t really get why.”

“I’m curious. In your perfect world, what do I do?”

Rainbow Dash hugged her pillow and turned away from Octavia. “When it come right down to it. It ain’t up to Rarity, or me, or even you who Mac end up with. It’s up to him, and I think he’s already made his choice a while ago.” She stretched out her wings, ruffled them, and brought them back to her sides. “You do what you want. No feather off my wings.”

“Want to share?”

“Hell no.”

Octavia sighed and stared at Dash’s back for several seconds. She took a deep breath and threw the heavy, warm quilt aside to expose her body to the bitter cold. She got up, determined to seek warmth of a different sort as she exited the room.

Macintosh was busy staring out the window. His cutie mark looked nice and big just as it always did, and she rather liked him with a short mane. She went to him, ready to sneak up on him, but lost her resolve halfway there. Her usual confidence left her as she saw the drops of rain project onto his face. He looked at peace with his half lidded gaze and modest smile. She stopped behind him.

Macintosh turned to look at her. His smile became just a little wider.

“Took us a while, didn’t it?”

“You give me too much credit,” Octavia said with a sigh. She stood beside him and stared out the window down at the streetlamps that illuminated the empty streets outside.

“Do you want to spend the night alone?” Octavia asked.

“If I had a choice, I’d rather spend it with you,” Mac said.

Octavia smiled. “We want the same things, so would it be so horrible if we were to indulge ourselves tonight?”

“You know my terms.”

Octavia rolled her eyes. “Yes, yes, you want a ‘proper’ relationship.” She scowled and stared at the raindrops falling down the glass of the balcony doors. A peal of thunder startled her, and she flinched against the booming sound.

“I’m cold, Macintosh,” Octavia said.

“Then go back to your room or get in the sleeping bag.”

“I’ll do neither unless you join me.”

Macintosh shook his head with a smile. “Fine, get in the sleeping bag.”

Octavia hadn’t expected him to give up so easily, but she certainly wasn’t going to ask questions when she was this close. She buried himself in his sleeping bag, and her heart raced as Macintosh stayed true to his word and went in after her. It took a bit of shuffling, but they finally found themselves comfortably beside each other.

Octavia pressed her side against Macintosh. He had gotten thinner since he stopped working on his family’s farm, yet he still managed to radiate a lot of heat. His body was like a furnace. She looked forward to cold winter nights with him.

“What do you want, Octavia?” Macintosh said, breaking the silence.

“You.”

“Seems like a lot of trouble for a one-night stand.”

“One night?” Octavia repeated with a laugh. “I don’t do one nights, Macintosh. In fact, I hardly have nights at all, but, regrettably, I want you in ways that aren’t purely physical. So I’m planning on keeping you for a very long time, and on an exclusive basis.”

Macintosh quirked an eyebrow. “That sounds an awful lot like the kind of relationship you wanted to avoid.”

“No it doesn’t,” Octavia said quickly.

“Sure it–” Macintosh cut himself off and hummed in thought. “Alright.”

“Alright what?”

“I mean, alright, I’ll give you what you want.”

“Really?” Octavia wanted to make sure he wasn’t pulling some trick.

“But I got a couple of requests.”

Octavia narrowed her eyes in suspicion. “Go ahead.”

“Along with everything you said. I want us to look out for each other. Make sure we ain’t being taken advantage of, or that we ain’t being unreasonable about something. And I wanna go out on romantic dates and talk about big things and little things or even nothing at all if the mood strikes us.”

Octavia tapped her chin. “I know what you’re trying to do. You’re trying to get me into a commitment. Well, fine, if those are the terms, they you have a deal. On one condition: none of the words.”

“What words?”

The words. I can’t stand those words. Everything else can be the same, but no words.”

“If it’s all the same,” Mac said, “then why not add the words?”

“Because then it’ll be easier on us when we break up.”

Macintosh tilted his head. “When? You think we’re gonna break up?”

“Of course, it’s simply the natural order of things.” Octavia shrugged. “Either you die in love or you grow to hate each other and break it off. Or, if you’re very masochistic, you’ll cling to the memory of better times and stick together despite your growing resentment.”

“Or you could wind up happy.”

Octavia chuckled. “As if a pony could be happy all the time.”

“Well, I ain’t gonna say it’s gonna be easy, but I know lots of ponies that’ve been together for a long time. Sure, they disagree about things, they fight, but so does everypony. Doesn’t matter if they’re friends, siblings, or lovers. I gotta think that, if two friends can go to hell and back and be stronger for it, then why not us?”

“It’s a sweet sentiment, Macintosh. Simple, but sweet,” Octavia said. “I just don’t think...” she trailed off, but the silence didn’t last long. Macintosh rolled her on her back, and positioned himself so that when he locked eyes with her, his were directly above hers. She never saw his green eyes so intense. Were those freckles? When did he get those? She supposed she spent most of the time looking at his other side. She wrapped her forelegs around his neck and brought him close enough to smell the mint on his breath.

“It’s a leap of faith, ain’t it?” Mac smiled and lowered his head so that his lips were beside her ear, and he whispered something that made Octavia’s heart skip a beat. She pushed his head back up to glare into his eyes.

“I told you I didn’t want the words,” Octavia said.

Macintosh shrugged. “Then don’t use the words. But it ain’t like you can stop me from using ‘em.”

Octavia sighed. “Fine. Then I suppose it’s official now, isn’t it?”

“Eeyup,” Macintosh said. “And it looks like I won.”

Octavia scoffed. “Oh please, I won, remember? You agreed to my demands first.”

“That so?” Macintosh said with a sly smirk. “’Cause it looks to me like I got what I wanted, and you still haven’t got what you wanted.”

“Give me a night and that will change.”

“I’m lookin’ forward to it, Octi, I really am, but I ain’t too comfortable...fulfilling my side of the bargain while we got guests over.”

“Really?” Octavia grinned. “I’ll have to break you out of that sensibility, but we’ll go at your pace. For now, would you be so opposed to a little kissing?”

Macintosh chuckled. “I don’t see anythin’ wrong with that.”

-*-

“And then we sucked on each others faces well into the night,” Octavia finished.

“What a lovely story,” Rarity said. “Except for the ending. I could have happily lived the rest of my life without hearing that part.”

“Wait, so do ya still think that you an’ Mac are gonna eventually break up?” Applejack asked.

Octavia shrugged. “I think of it as an unwanted inevitability, but I’m used to fighting the inevitable. Why, I’ve actually won a couple of times. It will be a constant struggle, I think, but better to be ready than to be complacent.”

Applejack rubbed her temple. “Well, as far as completely terrible answers go Ah guess that ain’t a completely hopeless one.” She took her mug of coffee and downed it. “This is gonna take a while for me to get used to, but if Rarity and Rainbow Dash are okay with it, and Mac is fine with it, then...welcome to the family, Octavia.”

Applejack held out her hoof and Octavia scowled at it. She gave Macintosh a sideways glance before taking Applejack’s hoof and shaking it.

“It’s an honor, I suppose,” Octavia said. “Now that all of that’s sorted out, please leave. All of you. There are, literally, one hundred things I would rather be doing right now, half of them involve Macintosh and the other half involve Princess Luna and yet another half involves both.”

“Alright, alright, Ah get it,” Applejack said. “Much as Ah don’t wanna. Me an’ Rarity were just passin’ through anyway and thought we’d stop by. Ah’m still wonderin’ though, Rainbow, how did you end up here?”

“I slept in,” Rainbow Dash said. “What were you and Rarity doing in Canterlot?”

“Applejack was helping me find a suitable place to open a design studio here,” Rarity said.

“Finally deciding to go where the bits are?” Octavia asked.

“I’m still debating on it,” Rarity said. “The rent on even a studio apartment is shocking.”

“If you’re interested, Rarity, Macintosh and I have plenty of space here, and we wouldn’t charge much for rent.”

Macintosh looked over at Octavia to make sure she hadn’t fallen victim to some sort of flu. It wasn’t everyday that she offered to share her space with another pony. Maybe living with him had softened her up a bit. Or maybe Octavia just saw a good opportunity to have a little fun at Rarity’s expense.

Rarity narrowed her eyes in thought, no doubt thinking the same thing. “I will definitely keep you in mind. Now, if you’ll excuse, Applejack and I have yet to have lunch. Do you want to come with us, Rainbow Dash? It’s my treat.”

“You don’t have to ask me twice,” Rainbow Dash said, joining Applejack and Rarity as they headed to the front door.

“Y’all sure you don’t wanna stay here? I can whip up something delicious real quick,” Macintosh said, and Octavia shot him a glare. He flashed her a nervous smile, hoping for a little forgiveness.

“No, that’s alright, Macintosh,” Rarity said. “I’m sure Octavia’s had enough of us for one day.”

“Ah’ll stop by again soon, big brother,” Applejack said, “and make sure you invite me to see that land.”

“See ya, Mac,” Rainbow Dash said.

Big Macintosh saw them out and closed the door behind them. He pressed his forehead against the cool wood and took a deep breath. Well that was emotionally exhausting, but at least now he didn’t have to worry about what Applejack would think. Now all he had to worry about was the bet with Princess Luna. Despite his earlier confidence, he couldn’t help but feel a little worried.

Octavia pressed her side against his. “Are you okay?”

Macintosh draped a foreleg around Octavia and brought her close enough to bury his nose in her mane. “When we conquer the world I wanna big golden crown with an apple-shaped emerald on it.”

“I didn’t expect your tastes to run so gaudy,” Octavia said. “But talking about regalia seems a discussion more fitting for pillow talk.”

Macintosh smiled and whispered in her ear. “Then what are we waiting for?”

She tackled him hard to the ground.

-*-

Big Macintosh wiped away the sweat from his forehead and unhitched himself from the tiller to examine his work. About a quarter of the land lay crumbled behind him. The clay was starting to look like actual soil rather than hard cement. It had taken him the better part of a day just to do that small section, and the work had been slow and exhausting, but he actually felt good about it. Great, even. As if he had just set the first paint stroke on a canvas. About time too. There had been several days of delay due to the snow turning the clay into mush., and several more days passed before it was dry enough to work.

“Not bad, big brother,” Applejack said as she examined the upturned soil. She brought a hoof above her eyes to block out the sun. “Not bad at all. Gotta say though, it’s one heck of a hike getting here. You have a surveyor come to inspect the pitch of the land yet?”

“Eeyup,” Macintosh said. “Basically just a shallow bowl, but I already got some ideas to help with drainage.”

“How does gettin’ back to work feel?”

“Great,” Mac said. “It was a bit hard going at first, but I found my rhythm no problem.” He was about to go on, but a group of ponies came toward them from the path leading to Canterlot. Each one of them pulled a large cart filled with leaves, moss, compost, and trimmings.

Their leader, a tawny earth pony, came up to Mac. “Big Macintosh Apple?”

“Eeyup?”

“Got a delivery here from Princess Celestia. Where do ya want us to spread out this mulch?”

“Spread it over the worked land, don’t worry too much about mixing it all in,” Macintosh said.

“Yes, sir,” the delivery pony said. He called out to his crew and together they started tossing the organic matter onto the worked land.

“C’mon, while they’re busy with that I wanna show you the best part,” Mac said.

Applejack raised an eyebrow in curiosity, but said nothing as she followed Macintosh to the other side of the farm. He led her to a large swathe of land portioned with a thick rope tied around four heavy stakes forming a rectangle.

“This is where I’m gonna build the homestead,” Mac said with a grin.

“Pretty big,” Applejack said. “How many stories are you plannin’?”

“Just two.”

“Two? That’s enough for at least six rooms not counting the kitchen and living room and such. You sure you’re gonna need all that space?”

“Sure, with how long it takes to get over here, I’m plannin’ on havin’ a lot of guests spendin’ the night. Besides, better to have too much space than not enough.”

“Good point,” Applejack smiled as she stared at the outline. “You certainly came a long way, big brother.”

Big Macintosh chuckled and stared at the land soon to be his. He couldn’t help but feel proud of where he ended up, and the future certainly looked bright. After working so hard, he finally had the life he always wanted. A life filled with lots of family, lots of friends, and lots of fulfilling work. It was funny how simple it all seemed now.

Yeah, nice and simple.

Author's Note:

It's been fun, folks.

Please keep an eye out. I still have a couple of stories in me.

Special thanks to Comma-Kazie for supporting this chapter's creation via Patreon.

Comments ( 78 )

This has been one heck of a long ride. Seeing that complete tag was a bit of a shock. This is one of a few stories that were just always there. That alone has merit. I am going to have to reread the thing and comment on it afterwards.

Sad to see this end. Lovely that she finally settled on something, though.

A few mistakes I saw:

Octavia crossed her leags

“Your right, Applejack,”

Why end on exactly twenty chapters?

Keeping it simple.

Now to go throw this story at as many people as will listen, and even harder still at the ones who won't.

“And then we sucked on each others faces well into the night,” Octavia finished.

Freaking hell this line almost killed me. :rainbowlaugh:


edit: Aw... It's complete? Aw well. It was a fun ride. Thank you for writing this fic. :pinkiehappy:

*Wipes away a tear*

This has been a beautiful, beautiful trip, one that I'm glad I've been able to watch unfold all this time. Kudos, Ivory, kudos indeed.

Woweee, that's been one heck of a story going there. Glad you managed it well enough.

Soo... this is it?
To be honest it seems like a bit of an abrupt ending

Wow, I can't believe it's over. Such a great story for a guy that hasn't had a major speaking role in like 5 seasons. Which is why he's one of the most interesting to read/write about in my opinion. Look how this started and where he ended, I love the changes he had to go through. I'm going to have to re-read this again when I get the chance, just for the nostalgia from when I first picked this up.

It's been a blast reading this.

1. Could we get a '1 year later' chapter or a sequal please. The story seemed to to come to a full-stop ending abit to fast.

2. Since tia and lulu still own the plot of land and Mac is tilling it, can we say he is 'plowing the royal plot'? :trollestia:

TDR

Nice ending

*stands and applauds*

Congrats on reaching the finish, and thanks for sharing an entertaining tale!

I was a bit surprised that there was no mention or resolution to what seemed to be hints of Rarity being worried about Mac's health via his weight last chapter... Her concern had me concerned. good to see everything end on a happy, optimistic note though!

It's over? IT'S OVER? :raritydespair:
Then again, we never want good stories to end, simply because they're just that good, huh.
Still, I would definitely not mind a chapter or two more.. or three.. or four... or more stories :rainbowlaugh:
Of course, that is as long as it's not forced and you actually know what you want to do with it.

So, Octavia and Luna are on a nickname basis? Or one of them is. That was amusing.
Heh, poor Luna, she was not prepared for what was about to happen.

The ending was a bit open, but I can live with it.
Those few last lines were a very lovely way to end this story.
If there will be more, I am absolutely looking forward to it :twilightsmile:

There's a phrase I enjoy with really good fan fiction, the kind that transcends a person making up stories about his or her favorite TV show and becomes art in its own right. A phrase I like so much, I don't even mind swearing to use it.

"Now change all their names, and publish that shit."

Seriously man, you've got something great here. I've known it since you first started posting these chapters however long ago it was. And really, you should be rewarded beyond whatever patreons can scramble together. Artists should Get Paid. Period. You have made art. You should Get Paid. if you ever get some original work on the market. Let me/us know and you'll have a customer base ready and eager to give you money for it. You've earned that trust. This story is that good.

Thank you for it.

Yaay for compost. And the story ends with Big Mac buying the farm.:trollestia:

Wonder if he had decided to grow salt grass instead, or make like a beaver and put the homestead on a mound in the middle and block the outflow to get a steady water level?

Lots of rocks? Build shelter walls, buildings, raised tracks and beds, terraces?

Octavia rides Mac into the sunset. :eeyup:

7122162 I really couldn't have said it better myself. This story truly is a gem and I'm looking forward for everything you might write on this site. Should you ever think about publishing your own book (which I strongly hope) I will buy it. Hopefully I will notice it and not miss the moment :twilightsmile:

7122138

Getting back to work probably fixed it. Well, definitely fixed it. Just kind of jarring to not see the line specifically saying that.

I wasn't with this story from the beginning, yet it was still just as much of a roller coaster. I don't think friendshipping has killed me as much anywhere else as it did in this story.

Dash. Oh Dash. Mac still got himself an amazing mare, but I was rooting for her just as much as Octavia.

ROBCakeran53
Moderator

And thus my favorite fic comes to a close. Thank you for the enjoyable story Ivory. You've by far out done yourself with characterization (Octavia especially), the theme, and the lessons learned. This is one of those stories that will stick with me for a long, long time.

I eagerly await your next works. Until next time,

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/71/69/bb/7169bbc3adc20abfa3354e704ac9b872.jpg

Cheers!

44559 *covers smile* I can see the problem is pretty serious

Well, I enjoyed it all. The highs, the lows, the laughs, the tears... thank you for this wonderful story.

With every end a beginning.

It was a wild ride.

Here's to you; and what the future holds! Cheers!

I wasn't expecting it to end this chapter, but this has been an amazing story.

And so it ends. This has been my favorite story to follow.

It's also clever to end with the self proclaimed 'inevitable breakup'. Makes substituting your own favorite ship easier in a head canon epilogue.

Welp, one day when I go back on all the stories I've read I will put this one on my favorites list. Guaranteed.

It's over? I've been following this for years and it's over? It feels so weird to see it complete.

Wow. It has been one heck of a ride. I've loved every moment of this story. From the first time that I started reading this, to just now when it ended. Big Mac has grown considerably throughout the course of the story and I'm happy for him to see that he has found happiness. I was personally rooting for Rarity to end up with Big Mac, but Octavia's character development has made her a nice choice for Big Mac to end up with.

I also thought the 'negotiations' on how the farm land would be leased was pretty funny. It appears that Luna and Octavia have quite the amusing history with one another as rivals when it comes to negotiating agreements. :rainbowlaugh:

This was such an excellent story to read, and like a few others have stated, if you ever plan on having this story published in limited quantities then I want you to know that I would love to own a hard copy. I'll just have to make sure I don't miss the opportunity.

So without further ado, I bid you farewell, and say thanks for a highly enjoyable story to read! :twilightsmile:






~ Super-Brony12

This story is a relic, of sorts. I first discovered it when I was new to this site, when I didn't quite understand how likes/dislikes/electronic thumbs worked. Deep in the throes of blissful folly, I gave this story a thumbs up before it was completed.

In the time since then, quite a few stories broke my faith in writers here, delivering "plot twists" that simply ran against the grain of the story as I'd understood it, leaving me in the unenviable dilemma of either thumbing down the story, or leaving it with my thumbs up. I was okay with thumbing down some of those stories, but others twisted their plots in ways that I didn't actively dislike, but still left me with no desire to continue reading the story, such that leaving my thumbs up felt wrong as well.

To rectify this, I made a policy. Not to thumb up or down a work until it was completed. If it gave one of those half-twists that killed my enjoyment without earning my ire, I'd just remove it from my tracking list, and let bygones be bygones.

This story, as a leftover of the time before this policy, had my thumbs up. I am happy to say that now, Keeping it Simple is no longer a relic. It has earned my thumbs up, even by modern standards.

Congratulations on a story well told.

I'd love to hear more about this particular 'verse, but understand if you have no intention of continuing. May your blocks be short, and your best ideas occur with the ability to record them nearby.

But... but... but... THAT'S IT!?

*checks for completed tag and finds it*

But I want so much moooooooore! :fluttercry:

Seriously now though: this has been, start to finish, one of my favorite fics of all time. Can't point to a single thing I'd change. Literally my sole complaint is that I actively want more. Well, that and I can't upvote this twice even though it deserves it. Ya' did good.

“Simple, I just batted my eyelashes at a passing resident,” Rarity said. “She let us in without a second thought.

I feel like that's supposed to be "he" instead of "she". Not that there's anything wrong with that. :eeyup:

Overall, this is definitely one of my favorite stories on the site. The last few chapters felt a bit rushed as Mac just seemed to realize what he really wanted to do instantly after years of not having to think about. Also, I wish he could have had more time interacting with Apple Bloom, Fluttershy, and Pinkie as there weren't that many chapters with them. Still those are just nitpicks.

Thank you for the story. It's something that has made me think about my own life and what I really want out of it. This will be one I will go back to years from now and read again with fond memories.

JBL

Well, it's taken four years and change to be completed, but the end to the best damned Big Macintosh story on this site has finally been completed. Thank you, writer, for all the awesome words, and I hope to see more from you. Perhaps even... a sequel.

Wait... thats it? Hold on now... you cruel beast leaving most of the ends tied with an implication of a thread out of place but with implied completion. Duuude.

Awesome story took years to finish and I am glad to see it finally completed. Ive enjoyed it all the way through.

Thanks

Sad to see this come to an end. But you ended it well so I can't really complain, after all this is the perfect excuse to reread.

Can't wait to see your next project.

Well nice to see a classic finish.

I am kind of sad though that PInkie did not turn up in this final chapter. She and Mac had some of the best chapters and she introduced Octavia to the story.

I have wondered if this story changed over time or if this ending and what not was planned from the start.

“When we conquer the world I wanna big golden crown with an apple-shaped emerald on it.”

I see what you did there, and I approve. :eeyup:

7123106
You can click the thumb up/down again to take it back.

Shame to see this end already, was looking forward to seeing the farming progress and family, regardless of who ended up together.

I can't find a single character in this entire story that isn't well written.

Thank you for the wonderful ride.

This has been an amazing journey, and i'm glad i got the chance to see it through. The characters were flawless in this story. Octavia was endearing and frustrating at the same time, The chapters with Pinkie were easily the best, and i'll forever bemoan Rainbow Dash letting the big one get away (Though i like to think its only for a little while).

I love stories that take lesser fleshed out characters and give them a soul of their own. I grew to love Big Mac and his simple, deep outlook, And this story has always had my personal favorite portrayal of Pinkie Pie in any form.

This story has brought me happiness, frustration, despair, and satisfaction. Thank you so much for writing this and letting us love it like it was meant to be. I was here for its beginning and i'm honored to see it end.

Thank you

If I could reach a time in my life where I could spin a tale half as competently and engagingly and humorously as yourself, I could die happy!
It's been one hell of a beautiful ride! :raritystarry::eeyup::rainbowkiss:

Great job. Happy to be part of the ride. It was nice that after setting up a love quadrangle there was no unnecessary drama. Just a bunch of ponies realizing that friendship is magic! The rug may have been pulled out from under Big Mac, but it didn't destroy him, it just forced him to consider his life in a new perspective. He has the same life, but with more friends, different priorities, and a new challenge.

It's, sad, in a way, i had to double check it to make sure it was complete. This was a journey, one I loved in reading. No second thoughts, or complaints. Just good solid writing.

It's over? Awwwwww...

But you left Big Mac in a good place. He's got a hard and salty plot to plough, and the work will make him sweat. But it's work he loves and in time he'll make that little piece blossom.

Then of course there's his land...

:twilightoops::duck::pinkiesick::ajbemused::flutterrage::rainbowlaugh:

Ladies?--Ladies what's OUCH OW JEEZUS WHAT'D I SAY?....

What an amazing story and thank you for wrighting it. I'd love to see a sequal to this if your inclined. Especially with more interaction between the Prinveses and Big Mac.

This ended at what feels like a perfect middle point to this story and I'd love to see you revisit this once again.

Faved and followed. Good day sir(or madam), good day

Thank you for the incredible story.

Holy crap was this a long ride, but I can honestly say every moment of reading this was pure enjoyment, I don't think I can even go back to other fics with Mac or Octavia in them anymore, I've fallen in love with the way you've so flawlessly brought these two mere background ponies to life, and what life you've given them! I'm just so moved by this story, thank you for sharing with all of us what I think is a masterpiece, and I hope you give us more in the future.

“Not everyday a pony gets to see the start of their life’s work,” holy funnel cakes Batman, that is motivating as hell. I might change "pony" to "man", but still, holy shit. Thus is in par with the atla fic, gladiator. I loved it as much as past sins, but not as much as I LOVED Embers. Embers is literally the best work of literature I've ever read. This is a close third.(Ulysses is 2nd)

Oh, no no no
It's not like that at all,
Oh, no no no
Not as I recall...

Is there something
That you've wanted--
More than anything?
Something
You took for granted--
Didja ever
Stop to think?
All my life
I've wanted one thing more,
All my life
I've been
Searching for

That something,
That certain something....

Login or register to comment