• Published 23rd Oct 2016
  • 1,375 Views, 62 Comments

Even a Diamond can break - Bronycommander



Berlin 1945. Germany is close to defeat. A soldier who is glad when the war is over and lost all hope, finds a scared rich filly in a bombed building.

  • ...
4
 62
 1,375

Chapter 2 Convoy

Chapter 2: Convoy

Josef looked at her, not sure what to say. He wasn’t sure how he should be able to get her home, but refusing would scare her even more.
“I will help you, my dear.”

“Oh, thank you so much!” Tiara hugged him.

“Now, let’s get you to safety, okay?”

“Yes, sir!” She did a playful salute to the soldier with brown hair and matching eyes.

Josef was an optimist and hoped that the other Soldiers wouldn’t freak out.

“There you are! Everything all right, comrade?” The Soldier that asked him about his wife sounded worried.
The other Soldier spotted the filly. He shook his head in disbelief.

Diamond Tiara seemed a bit frightened. “There’s no need to be afraid. These are my comrades. They aren’t going to hurt you.”

She relaxed, then stuck her hoof out towards the two Soldiers and smiled.
“Hello, I am Diamond Tiara.”
Both men didn’t know what to say. This confused her. “What? Haven’t you guys ever seen a pony before?”

“Not one that is talking,” Josef comrade muttered.

“Or one that is wearing a Tiara,” The fanatic one added.

In a blink of an eye, the filly realized that she was far from home now and collapsed on the ground.

“M-mommy… D-daddy…” she sobbed.

“Shh, don’t worry, I will help you. Do you want some water?”

“Yes please.”

Diamond took a sip of Josef’s canteen. Now, even the other two Germans had sympathy for her. “You’re right. Protecting the civilians is more important that the fatherland. I am Bruno.”

“And I am Gustav.”

“I am Josef. Do you know a safer place for her?”

“Of course. We could take her to the Tiergarten Flak Tower.”

“What’s that, Bruno?”

“One of the safest places in Berlin,” Gustav explained.

“You’re Soldiers, right?”

“Yes. I promise I will protect you.”

“Thank you, Josef!” She hugged him. Then she spotted his rifle. “What’s that on your back?” Diamond asked with curiosity.

“This is the Mauser K98 rifle. Single shot, bolt-action. It has five rounds in its clip. It is the standard rifle of the German Army. Gustav is using the Gewehr 43. Unlike the K98 it is semi-automatic and has a magazine of 10 rounds. Bruno is using the MP40 the standard submachine gun. It has a magazine of 32 rounds and is fully-automatic. I also have a sidearm the Luger P08. It has a magazine of 8 rounds.”

“Interesting. We don’t have such weapons where I am coming from. I am no expert but shouldn’t you wear helmets?”

“We are using patrol caps as helmets are not fitting for urban warfare. I also like it more than a helmet.”

“Oh, ok”

“We can take the truck. Since Berlin is a debris field, it could take some time until we get there. But a convoy is heading for the Mittelwerk Facility. If we make a layover there we should reach the Flak Tower in the next day.”

“Ok Bruno ,let’s go. Who knows when the next bomb will explode.” Josef helped Diamond Tiara into the back of the truck.

As the truck started moving, Josef told her where she was, which year it was and told her about the Second World War without going to deep into it.

She trembled. “That’s terrible. Equestria had never a war like this.”

“Don’t worry, I am here for you. Do you want to tell me about your family?”

“That would be a nice change. I was born in Ponyville a small village in Ponyville. My family is one of the richest in Equestria. My daddy is a very successful businesspony and a caring father. My mother on the other hoof is overbearing.

She always told me to stay away from ponies with a lower social standing than her families. This resulted that I became the school bully. I always bullied other ponies with no Cutie Mark.”

“What’s a Cutie Mark?”

She showed her flank. “A Cutie mark represents the special talent of a pony. I called ponies without Cutie Mark ‘blank flanks’. But I changed after I confronted my mother after losing the election for school president.”

“Very interesting.” Josef looked at his family picture.

“Is this your wife?” Tiara looked at the picture. It showed Josef and a woman a few years older than him, both smiling.

Josef let out a sigh. “Yes. We married last year. I live in Berlin since my birth. My wife attempted to get out of Berlin as the Russians came closer. I hope she made it. After I lost my friends, she is the only thing I have left.”

“My condolences, Josef. I have a friend called Silver Spoon. We met first in school and were best friend ever since.”

“Glad to hear it.” He looked out of the back. “This was such a beautiful city. Now it’s a warzone and a shatter city. Ah, there is the convoy.”

The truck joined two other trucks that were leaded by a SdKfz. 222 Light Armored Car.

Diamond Tiara closed her eyes to rest. She snuggled herself into Josef’s arms. His heart melted and he smiled.

Then he had a flashback


He and his wife were on a bench on the balcony watching the sunset.
Such a beautiful sunset, isn’t it, Josef?” His wife asked him. “Yes it is Jenny. I just hope this war is over soon.” His wife didn’t respond. She had her eyes closed and had snuggled herself into Josef. He smiled and gave her a kiss in the check. “I love you.”

Then he was brought out by an explosion “What was that?!” Tiara's eyes shot up in shock and fear.

“We’re under attack!
Josef jumped out of the back, Bruno and Gustav stepped out of the driver cabin, Weapons ready.

The truck in the middle of the convoy was destroyed and in flames. The Soldiers were dead stuck in the burning wrack. The corpse of a civilian Josef didn’t know was thrown out, dead but unharmed. “Sniper, in the building!” Josef pointed to a building here he saw the glint of a scope.

“Get her out of here!” We cover you!” Gustav ordered.

Josef hesitated no second. He wrapped his left arm around Tiara and drew his sidearm with his right arm. She whimpered in fear.
Josef fired a few times to force the sniper into cover.

A Tiger tank was driving by. Before he was able to shot, he was destroyed by a shot to the fuel cap. The explosion took Gustav and Bruno with him.

The adrenaline pushed his heart to the limit.

A Soldier that was standing a few meters away from him was shot into the head.

Blood sprayed from his head as he fell dead to the ground. Josef hadn’t much medical knowledge but could tell that the bullet cracked his skull like a knife would butter.

“Don’t look sweetie.” Josef covered Tiara's eyes. She didn’t respond, she was holding onto him for dear life and was crying the entire time. It pained him to see her like this.

He had seen the looks of pain and sorrow of civilians whose family members were killed in battle or in air raids. But seeing a child crying over the loss of his parents, or a mother crying over the loss of her child pained him the most.

Eventually, he made it out of the battle. As the adrenaline wore off, he checked himself and Diamond. He was unharmed. She was too but had cried herself to sleep.

He was in a street he didn’t know. Sure, he lived his entire life in Berlin but the debris made it difficult to recognize the streets.
Another truck stopped next to him. “Hey comrade, where are you heading?” the driver asked him.

“Mittelwerk Facility. My truck was ambushed.”

“Sorry to hear that. I was heading there myself, hop into the back.”

“Thanks.” Josef climbed in, laying the sleeping filly gently down.

The driver was oblivious to her presence, the back was empty.

I could be wrong but was that the famous Desert Ghost? The young man asked himself as he had heard stories about this famous Allied sniper. If he was right, he hoped he wouldn’t get shot by him.

Author's Note:

Another one done! Karl is known as the Sniper in Sniper Elite V2 and as the Desert Ghost in Sniper Elite III which is set before V2. Makes me wonder how the Germans call him in Sniper Elite 4. I'm looking forward it.