• Published 21st Oct 2016
  • 1,057 Views, 11 Comments

The Origin of Sunset Shimmer - Godslittleprincess



This is the story of how Sunset Shimmer got her shot. Set prior to "The Fall of Sunset Shimmer" by IDW.

  • ...
1
 11
 1,057

Chapter Seven: Princess Celestia

On the day before school was to start, Sunset snuck away and went to the school by herself. She needed to get away from her family, and the school was just the place to do it, never mind that it was probably still closed. Sunset headed towards the science building and tried to open the door. To her surprise, it opened, and she snuck inside.

None of the lights were on, so the hallways were rather dark. Even the classrooms were rather dim despite some of them having windows. It was the perfect environment to finally test out her sunlight in a jar spell.

Sunset carefully made her way to the science lab and rummaged through the drawers and cabinets to look for a jar. She found one and set it on the floor. She took out her notebook and set it next to the jar, flipping it to the desired page. Napkins were notoriously fragile, so Sunset had made sure to take the time to transfer her notes.

Sunset Shimmer closed her eyes in concentration, focusing her magic with her horn. She knew that she was making progress when she felt the familiar warmth from the Summer Sun Celebration condense on the tip of her horn. Sunset opened her eyes and telekinetically pulled the bright, warm orb away from her horn towards the jar. She carefully placed the little sunspot in the jar and screwed it shut. She had done it. Sunset picked the jar up with her hooves and hugged it against her chest, letting the comforting warmth permeate through her.

“Well, well, that was quite impressive,” said a voice from behind her.

Sunset Shimmer turned around and found herself face to face with Princess Celestia herself. Sunset gasped and quickly bowed before the princess.

“Your majesty,” Sunset greeted with her head bowed.

“May I see what you have here?” asked Princess Celestia, gesturing towards the jar.

“Oh, of course.”

Celestia carefully studied the strange orb in the jar.

“Is this sunlight?” she asked.

“I saw you raise the sun during the Summer Sun Celebration, and thought about how nice it would be to have a bit of sunshine to carry around for those times when you end up somewhere dark and cold,” explained Sunset.

Celestia smiled warmly at her. Sunset had never seen anypony smile at her like that since her mother passed. The sudden thought of her departed mother caused Sunset to frown a bit, remembering that her mother was no longer with her.

“Well, you are clearly a very talented young filly. I wouldn’t mind having you as my personal student,” remarked Princess Celestia, still smiling. “Would you like that?”

Sunset couldn’t believe her ears. Did the princess just ask her to become her personal pupil? Was she dreaming? Was she somehow trapped in a very realistic hallucination?

“I-I don’t know what to say,” Sunset stammered. “Except yes!”

“Good, we can have our first lesson together first thing in the morning,” replied the princess.

“Princess,” Sunset beamed. “When I grow up, I want to be just like you.”

“You very well might,” Celestia smiled, pointing at something with her hoof.

Sunset turned to where the princess was pointing and saw…

“My cutie mark!”

Author's Note:

And so Sunset Shimmer gets her shot before she inadvertently ends up throwing it away in her arrogance and selfishness. If you've read "The Fall of Sunset Shimmer," then you already know what happens next.

Comments ( 6 )

7662107 Was this comment supposed to be referencing something in the story? :applejackunsure:

8866096
I needed something to kickstart the process of Sunset's descent into loneliness and bitterness. I'm sorry. :raritycry:

I can totally see how the events of this story can nectar with the terrible pony she became and how she finally became a good person. Canan Sunset really reflects the strong role models she has in this fanfic

8867134
I actually got the idea for this story after watching the live-action movie of Disney's Cinderella. :twilightsheepish:

8867148
Thanks. :twilightsmile: Also, a part of me is a little worried that canon is going to end up derailing my story. Then again, that's what AU tags are for. :rainbowlaugh:

Login or register to comment