• Published 12th Oct 2016
  • 150 Views, 1 Comments

Equestria: The Old Era and the New Era - NotanImportantPony



An short piece from Magic Hooves's history book, Equestria: The Old Era and the New Era.

  • ...
 1
 150

Equestria: The Old Era and the New Era

From Magic Hooves’s Equestria: The Old Era and the New Era:

Equestria, a land caringly watched over by four mythical princesses, the land of love and trust, the land of glory and honour, is no more. Those omnipotent four, Celestia, Princess of the Sun; Luna, Princess of the Moon; Cadance, Princess of Love, Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Magic former Bearer of Magic, are dead. Their faithful companions, Pinkie Pie, the Bearer of Laughter; Applejack, the Bearer of Honesty; Fluttershy, the Bearer of Kindness; Rarity, the Bearer of Generosity; Rainbow Dash, the Bearer of Loyalty have also passed on. But in the ancient Equestrian Capitol of Canterlot there exists ten statues, one for each of the Princesses and one for each of the Bearers. Sadly, that glorious, golden land exists only in history books, scrolls, and legends.

However, while the Princesses and Bearers have physically passed from this world and into the next there remains reminders of their presence. The Princesses would be honoured to know that their laws of love and tolerance have been upheld in this new age. The sun and moon are now moved by the great scientific advancements only made possible by the past efforts of Princess Twilight and Sunset Shimmer. The people of the world love each other, just like Princess Cadance would desire, and all disputes are settled in a civil, tolerable manner. The impact that the Bearers made on the beloved land of Equestria echoed down the timeline. Laughter, Honesty, Kindness, Generosity, and Loyalty are all household virtues. But the land of Equestria that they would recognize is no more.

The majority of Canterlot is intact however every attempt to settle there has been met with disaster. The Crystal Empire suffers from a similar problem, settlers are driven away by madness or disease, whether it is the remnants of powerful magics or a curse no one knows. The only fully intact building of that era is Princess Twilight’s Crystal Castle. There is an aura of genuine friendship given off and it is rather contagious, those exposed to the castle’s magic come back as a different being, any worries or doubts seem to vanish overnight. It is a favourite vacation spot for the weary, the exhausted, or the injured. However, those are the only three spots where Equestrian magic still exists, the rest of Equestria has no magic, those born outside of those magic wellsprings will never have magic. That has caused much disparity between those who are born within the boundaries of the wellsprings and those without.

However the magic of this new era is nothing like the magic of the old era. The mind numbing effects and experiments of Starlight Glimmer, one of Equestria’s greatest time-mages will never be accomplished with the level of today’s magics. In fact, the process used to raise and lower the sun and moon has been streamlined so as to use the least amount of magic possible. That affect couldn’t have been accomplished without the help and sacrifices of Princess Twilight Sparkle. She was the last Equestrian Princess to die, she saw her mentor, Princess Celestia peacefully pass on, she saw Princess Luna lose a battle with a mysterious disease and she was there when Princess Cadance peacefully died in her sleep. Princesses are not immortal, they only gain several decades of extra life. Whether those extra years are a blessing or a curse we’ll never know. Unfortunately her friends, the Elements of Harmony had died years before, each of them passed on having fulfilled their life’s desires.

With each death Princess Twilight had to shoulder a larger burden of Equestrian Leadership. She quickly drained herself by raising the sun and moon along with attending to the growing needs of Equestria. Just when she seemed to be on the brink of collapse a bright young mare appeared then proposed a brilliant yet dangerous plan. Build a pair of machines to sequester, harvest then utilize magic in order to raise and lower the sun and moon. The mare’s name was Sunset Shimmer and it was with great sorrow that Princess Twilight and the people Equestria saw that wonderful genius pass before her time. It was never clear what happened to that fiery haired scientist, she just disappeared one night then was never heard from again. Many say Sunset Shimmer’s abrupt disappearance was the last straw for Princess Twilight Sparkle for it was only days after that sad event when she formally stepped down as a Princess of Equestria. She appointed Blue Blood the Twelfth as her successor then she too disappeared.

Blue Blood the Twelfth held Equestria together throughout his reign, he increased trade with the Griffins, the Buffalo, the Changelings, and the Yaks. He ruled over Equestria for twenty years before he stepped down and handed the reigns to his son, Prince Blue Blood the Thirteenth. From that point onward historical texts are obscured, lost or outright lies. Much of the current knowledge was passed down from the ruling or noble families of foreign countries. They helped Equestria in her time of need but were dragged down into depression for their troubles. The Griffons went bankrupt and quickly fell into despair and a brooding civil war. The Buffalo grew angry with Equestria for breaking ancient treaties but their population quickly dwindled due to a lack of Equestrian goods. The Changelings disappeared, some speculate that in an effort to survive, they dispersed into every nation's populace. The Yaks built a massive wall, separating themselves from the world.

While the cause of the global downfall is unclear, many historians, anthropologists and notable individuals claim that the apparent death of Twilight Sparkle started to decay Equestrian magic. Some have even stated that the wellsprings of magic around Canterlot, the Crystal Empire and Princess Twilight’s Castle are the last remaining springs of real magic. But, as was stated before, those born within the magical boundaries of Twilight’s castle are gifted with a weak magic but in these times some magic is better than no magic and that has let to a divide. Those not so fortunate to be born within the magical boundaries have no magic those Unicorns have malformed or non-existent horns, Earth ponies lack the endurance and strength of their magical counterparts, and Pegasi have crippled or malformed wings. Many have tried to get magic, some by mythic rituals, some by force. Unfortunately there is no cure for this malady.

Author's Note:

Whew. Twenty more to go. I can so do this! Besides that, What did ya'll think of the format or style? I kinda like it but this would work much better if I had actually planned to write a 'historical' text. However, I won't be updating this piece for a while, most likely I'll update it sometime in November because that's when I'll have more free time. But I'm happy because I typed up about two-thousand words off the top of my head in two hours .:yay: If you readers catch errors or similar stuff let me know in the comments and I'll fix it as soon as I can get to it. I hope you guys enjoyed my bit of work.:twilightsmile:

Comments ( 1 )

Good good, now more.:raritystarry:

Login or register to comment