• Published 21st Jan 2017
  • 1,237 Views, 85 Comments

A Muffin For Muffins - BatwingCandlewaxxe



For Ditzy Doo. a developmentally disabled pony, an intelligence enhancement spell proves to be both a greater blessing, and a greater curse, than anypony could have expected.

  • ...
8
 85
 1,237

PreviousChapters Next
Progress Report Week 10

Progress Report Week 10
It has been three full moons since I started writing these progress reports. We did the shape matching test and the maze a few more times this week. I am very fast at both now, I finally beat Muffins at the maze! I was very happy about that. I also made it every time without hitting a dead end, which also made me happy. It still feels weird being that small, though. Princess Twilight said that she would probably only need to run the tests for one more week. That is fine with me, the tests are kind of boring and I don't see how they really measure anything useful now that I'm so much smarter. I am reading several books a day. Mostly easier educational stuff, since I have so much to get caught up on, but I read other stuff too. I like to read the books of fairy tales and old Equestrian mythology. I recognize a few of the stories as ones my mother used to tell me.

The Princess was able to get my mother's records from Cloudsdale Hospital. I didn't understand a lot of the medical words, but I found out she died from Calamular Follicle Carcinoma, which is also known as Calamus Rot. I looked it up in the medical books in the castle library. The books said it's a rare but really bad type of cancer that only pegasi and griffons get. It's hard to diagnose according to the book, mostly just feels like sore flight feathers from overexertion, or irritation from feather mites; or at worst like a case of the Feather Flu that won't go away. By the time it is actually diagnosed, it's usually too late to do anything about it. Three to Six months the books said, and all that can be done is to help with the pain. I remember mom feeling sick a lot, and looking back, all those times she said she was tired were probably the pain, or the medications they were giving her for the pain. I feel awful now. It hurts to think of my wonderful, beautiful mother in so much pain. I remember how soft her feathers were, the pale blue colour of her coat and wings, the light green and gray colour of her mane, the gray in her mane the same shade as my coat. i reme....
...

...

...

Crap. I wrote a bunch of stuff I remembered about her, but I started crying so hard the tears just messed it all up. I can't write it again or I will start crying again. I miss her so much. I wish I had had more time with her, to get to know her. I don't really know that much, just feelings. The way she smelled like fresh spring wind and blueberries. The way she would smile when she would play with me. The way...

...

—————

Spent nearly all of yesterday with a migraine after I stopped crying. I never used to get migraines. I wonder if my mother did. Nothing in her records about it. Spoke to the Princess, she said it might be a side effect of the intelligence enhancement spell, but it should pass in time. She said she would have me go to the doctor for regular checkups to make sure there were no other effects, but she was sure there wouldn't be.

I spend most of my free time in the library, studying. Half the time Princess Twilight is doing the same thing, but we don't talk much outside of testing. I don't have a job anymore. My now former boss said that he thought I would be better off spending my time studying. Princess Twilight agreed. I am going to miss delivering mail, getting to see all the ponies around town; but no one in the post office will talk to me much anymore, they treat me as some sort of monster, Quick Line even seems a little scared of me. I have no idea why.

I spend a lot of the day taking tests. Only now it's not just Princess Twilight doing the testing. She has a couple of the professors from the Canterlot Academy here doing what they call the "full battery" of tests like any schoolpony would get. They tell me that I'm testing at an early high school level already. After almost four weeks. But that there are still gaps in my education, mostly with history and social studies. Memorization stuff that I haven't spent much time reading. My language skills and math skills are very good. They say I even show aptitude for sigilistics, which is rare for non-unicorns. They're planning on bringing in private tutors from the academy to teach me and see just how much and how fast I can learn. I like learning, and definitely need to improve my writing skills, but I kind of just want to have a normal life too. Go out and have normal friends. The Princess says that will come with time.

—————

I think Rainbow Dash heard me talking about being cooped up in the castle yesterday, and said that I should go out flying with her and I'd feel better. I didn't think that was a good idea because I'm such a weak flier. She insisted on training me, and scheduled me for flight training three days a week. Apparently she helps train some of the young pegasi living in Ponyville. I said I would feel too embarrassed to be flying with school-ponies as bad as I am, but she insisted. My first class went okay. I guess I'm a stronger flier than I thought. All that work delivering mail must have built up my wings. She said my strength was good, and I just needed to learn better technique and work on my speed. That made me feel a bit better. It's good to know my flying is improving too, though not as fast as my brain. She said after a couple months of training with her I could probably get a job on the weather team. It would be nice to go to work again. My wings ache now though. That's supposed to be normal, since I'm using and building muscles that haven't gotten used much, or haven't gotten used right.

I remember trying to help Rainbow Dash out once when she was working on the Town Hall helping repair the roof, and how I managed to just break things and make them worse. Even got myself badly zapped by a cloud that was there for leak testing. Thinking about that now makes me cringe. I was such a derp. Both Rainbow Dash and the Princess hate it when I talk about myself that way, but I can't help it. It's how I feel. I'm just glad neither of us were seriously hurt that day. Princess Twilight is letting me help care for Muffins now, and even assist with the testing. Whenever I feel sad, watching Muffins play in her cage helps cheer me up.

PreviousChapters Next