• Published 9th Oct 2016
  • 1,220 Views, 62 Comments

Sweetie Belle Serves Lunch - David Silver



"Hey sis? Can I borrow a few bits?" Sweetie Belle receives an firm but polite denial and a suggestion to get a job is uttered. Perhaps that advice was hastily placed? Sweetie does her best, really!

  • ...
2
 62
 1,220

3 - Spoiled Meal

Many other eyes darted up, other ponies just as surprised to see Spoiled Rich there, but they looked back to their food and conversations quickly enough.

Sweetie was alone. She flashed her biggest smile, praying it would help. "Welcome to Hay Burger! What c--"

"Let's keep this brief." She shook her head slowly as she approached. "I wouldn't normally be found dead in such a place." That got a few sour looks. "Our butler is ill today." Her eyes lifted to the menu, scanning swiftly before she directed a hoof at the most expensive item, the triple hay burger with extra Brussels sprouts. "You will furnish two of those. What drinks do you have?" Her eyes scanned quickly across the counter. "I fail to see any wine menu."

Wine menu? Sweetie's left ear quirked off to the side a moment. "I'm afraid we don't have one of those." She pressed the button to order the triple twice. "We have a selection of soda pop!" Spoiled looked offended at the very idea. "We also have coffee?" That got a hint of a smile back. "Two?"

Spoiled nodded. "Very good." Without asking how much it was, she set down a hundred bit coin.

Sweetie had never seen a coin so valuable before. Well, that wasn't true. Rarity got to handle bits like that before, but Sweetie didn't! She picked it up in her magic carefully as she quickly tapped coffee twice and pushed down on the finish bar. "That'll be 14 bits." Even as she made to start counting change, a hoof came over the register, blocking the view.

"You needn't waste my time," she sternly informed. "It's still beyond me how you made such a mess for my daughter." She raised a brow down at Sweetie. "Good to see you've found your... proper place."

Sweetie felt blood rushing into her cheeks and ears. Just what was Spoiled implying?! "We're friends now." She pushed the drawer back in with a tiny little bell of a noise. "I'll call when your order's ready."

Spoiled gave a light nod. "See that you do, and Diamond Tiara does not require... friends... such as you. Find somepony else to bother with your chicanery." She turned away, tail flicking up behind her in a rude gesture as she trotted a short distance away.

"Break time," came the familiar voice of the senior employee.

Sweetie jerked in place. "Oh! Okay, thanks." She realized something. "We've been working together and I never got your name. That was rude of me. I'm--"

"Sweetie Belle," he finished for her with a bit of a smile. "Most ponies know you, part of the Cutie Mark Crusaders, little sister of Rarity? You're practically famous in Ponyville. Nopony cares about me so much."

Sweetie hopped to the floor and reached up a hoof at him. "Aw! Don't be sad. I care about you. You're my mentor, and I really appreciate what you've done for me so far. What's your name?"

He gave a little chuckle as he sat on his haunches. "Little Fry."

"Pleased to make your acquaintance, Little Fry." Sweetie dipped her head in a bit of a bow before she hopped back upright. "See you after the break, alright?"

"You talk a little funny," he noted. "I like it."

Sweetie wasn't sure if she was being complimented or not, but decided to accept it as one. "I'll be back after break." She waved and retreated into the back, letting out a massive sigh of relief. She had weathered the Spoiled storm without losing too much for the adventure.

She hopped up onto the stool provided in the mostly-bare break room and reached for the burger that was waiting for her. She smiled as she held it between her hooves. "Thanks, AB." She peeled it free as her eyes wandered around. There were little legal posters about, and one motivational one done in Hay Burger fashion, with a pony reaching for a burger just out of reach.

"You can do it!" it read along the bottom, and Sweetie snickered at it. She wouldn't ever be that desperate for a burger. She chomped down into the burger that was perfectly in her reach. Mmm. She had chosen a delicious job!

"Sorry to bother you," came a female voice.

Sweetie spun in place to see a mare dressed in a business suit and wearing a genuine-seeming smile. "I hear you're my new employee."

Sweetie froze. That was her boss?! She wasn't ready!

The mare held up a hoof. "Easy there. I'm sorry for just barging in on your lunch. You're not in trouble. In fact, from what I'm hearing, you've been showing some real Hay Burger spirit with the customers. It's great to see." She approached Sweetie at a sedate walk. "My, aren't you a young one? Is this your first job?"

Sweetie set down the burger, rubbed her hooves together in a frantic effort to have them dry and stood up on the stool. "Yes ma'am! I'm Sweetie Belle, ma'am."

She smiled gently. "You remind me of my own filly, but she'd probably smack me over the head for calling her that. She's gone and moved out now, you see." She reached up and patted Sweetie right on the head. "You just call me Mom."

The senior employee's voice drifted in from the front, "You made me work for months before you let me call you that."

Mom made a dismissive wave. "I'm afraid I'm biased towards little fillies with good spirits. Now, tell me about yourself, Sweetie. You're still in school, right?"

Author's Note:

Is this good news, great news, or bad news?

Sweetie meets her boss, and falls right into maternal lock-on. Fawning missiles, fire!

Maybe the explosion will take out a few typos.