• Published 27th Jun 2012
  • 30,354 Views, 3,552 Comments

Living in Equestria - Blazewing



A young man finds himself in a world beyond his wildest imagination...

  • ...
123
 3,552
 30,354

PreviousChapters Next
*Alternate POV* That Same Friday

That same Friday, miles away in her throne room in Canterlot, Princess Celestia sat, a stack of papers floating beside her, Ironmane before her.

“Have you made contact with the rest of the delegates?” she asked. “They need to be aware of their newest colleague.”

“Yes, Your Highness,” said Ironmane. “We have already received confirmation from Eagle Eye of Cloudsdale, Rolling Stone of the Appleloosan buffalo, and Apollo of the Griffin Kingdom. We still await word from the others.”

“Very good,” said Celestia. ”Out of curiosity, have you sent the usual envoys to the dragons?”

Ironmane looked at Celestia with a strained expression, as if he were holding back very bitter words. He did not enjoy have to report this.

“I have, but…” He paused, then sighed and said, “You must understand what a fruitless enterprise it is, Your Highness. The dragons possess sense, we know, but they are completely outside of our level of reason. They do not possess the same love and patriotism we hold for Equestria. They are content to sack and ravage it. My subordinates, Hermes and Herald, barely made it out of the dragon wastes without more than a burn or two.”

“If we persist in trying to help them see things our way, Ironmane, without force, we may convince them in the end.”

“Princess Celestia,” said Ironmane, in as calm a voice as he could muster, given his mood, “I know that you wish to see good in everypony, but I do not see how can you continue to put trust in those ferocious reptiles. I know from experience what a good many of them are like: ruthless, greedy, violent. They lack the care and the focus needed to carry a seat in the Round Table.”

“And I know from experience,” responded Princess Celestia, adopting a calm but cold voice, “that not all dragons grow to be ferocious, plundering beasts. I trust you have not forgotten Spike, my faithful student’s assistant?”

“Certainly not, Your Highness, certainly not,” said Ironmane. “Of course, I will contend that there may be exceptions in certain cases.”

“Like our friend David?” asked Celestia, wryly.

Ironmane seemed to snap fully to attention. He looked more alert, and slightly alarmed.

“The human? What does he have to do with this?” he asked.

“Plenty,” said Princess Celestia. “Do not suppose for one second that Luna hasn’t told me about your conversation last week.”

Ironmane said nothing, but gazed steadily into Celestia’s noble eyes.

“I understand your mistrust, Ironmane,” said Celestia, gently, “but to heap all of the wrongdoings of the ancestors of his kind onto him is going a little too far, isn’t it?”

“I don’t like the situation, Your Majesty,” said Ironmane, stiffly. “He could snap into the behavior of those…” He paused, collecting himself as a wave of indignant rage swept over him. “Well, he could become like they did at their worst. In fact, he came dangerously close on Monday.”

Celestia raised an eyebrow.

“He made a scene at Sweet Apple Acres, under the influence of apple cider.”

“Ahh, of course,” said Celestia, with a smile. “I remember my first taste as well. It made me feel like standing on the spire of the tallest tower and setting the sun on one hoof from up there.”

She giggled in a rather un-princess-like way that made Ironmane frown.

“Your Highness, please. That is not the point.”

He leaned in closer and said, in a grim mutter,

“Dolly Tribune has gotten her hooves on the story. It premiered today in the Friday edition of the Ponyville Express.”

To Ironmane’s astonishment, Celestia smiled.

“Dolly Tribune,” she said, fondly. “I always did find her articles amusing.”

“Even the ones about you?” asked Ironmane, sharply.

Especially the ones about me,” said Celestia. “I remember the last time she wrote on me, in fact. What was it she said?…Ah, yes! ‘The only thing more apparent than the sun on her flank is her love of cake, which would actually make the former stand out even more’. It was almost as much fun as that Gabby Gums article.”

Ironmane’s face flushed. He looked like he was about to have a stroke.

“Your Highness, I would not take such slander so lightly! She’s a vile gossip!”

“And you need to lighten up, Minister,” said Celestia, still grinning. “It’s not as if she wrote about you. Oh! Wait a minute. Didn’t she once do an article on my royal staff? You were featured, Ironmane!” she added, roguishly, as Ironmane looked scandalized and furious. “Didn’t she say that you and the statues in the royal garden had much in common? Of course, it was rather rude, but it was only a joke.”

“There is no need to bring that up…” he muttered through clenched teeth. “We are avoiding the point, Your Highness. The human is a member of the Round Table. If he continues to give Tribune enough to blacken his name, it would mean disaster, especially if they find out he is a member of the royal staff!”

Celestia’s moment of jubilance melted away, and she had composed herself once more.

“I fully understand, Ironmane,” she said. “Do not think for one instant that I haven’t considered the gravity of what might happen. Still, I can’t see why David can’t enjoy a little fun once in a while. You act like he should be tossed into the Royal Guard Training Academy. Why are you so hard on him?”

Ironmane’s mouth twitched unpleasantly, and there was the faintest of glimmers in his horn. At last, he said,

“…I don’t trust him. Everypony else may be willing to let him into their good graces, just because he’s amiable and polite, but he does not deserve to get off so scot-free in my book. Your Majesty, think of what he is! You, of all ponies-”

But Celestia got to her hooves, her eyes alight with a fire that made Ironmane recoil.

“Ironmane,” said Celestia, once more calm, but steely, “I have stood by and listened to this countless times, and have endured Luna telling me it again after your discussion, and I will say here and now that my patience, though vast, is being tested. I understand your concern for me, but that incident happened well before your time. It is not your business to linger on what is over and done, what I already have dealt with. It was a mistake, I admit, and I was taken aback at the time, but it was, as I said, a mistake, a misunderstanding. I regret that it was that which tendered what had been stable for a long time, but it is over and done with. You, on the other hand, are undyingly willing to treat David as if it is in his genes to make the same mistake.”

Ironmane was rendered speechless for several moments, mouth working wordlessly. Celestia’s words had been perfectly calm, but he could sense the tested patience within her tones. Finally, he managed to say,

“You…you believe that he is from another world entirely, then, Your Majesty? It is absurd!”

“Absurd…but possible,” said Celestia, calmly. “He is not the human who wronged me all of those years ago, Ironmane, nor is there any evidence that he is descended from him.”

“…I cannot just let it pass, Your Highness,” said Ironmane, quietly. “Whenever I think of someone daring to do you a serious wrong, it…” He paused, unable to continue, then said, “I owe you my life, Princess Celestia, and I will do whatever I must to make sure you never experience the same dishonor ever again…”

Celestia’s features relaxed, and she gave Ironmane a small smile once again.

“I am grateful for your devotion, Ironmane,” she said, “but it does not mean you need to treat David so formally. I think you may grow to be good friends, if you allow it to be.”

Ironmane said nothing, but the look on his face said that he would much rather swallow a glassful of the stagnant waters of Froggy Bottom Bog than allow himself to become friends with a human…

Suddenly, there came the sound of someone clearing their throat, which echoed all around the throne room. Celestia and Ironmane looked up to see a harassed-looking pegasus, a winged helmet resting atop his sea-green mane, standing in the doorway.

“Forgive my intrusion, Your Majesty,” he said, bowing, “but I have a message for Minister Ironmane, from the dragons.”

Ironmane shifted out of his resentful silence and became suddenly business-like again.

“Yes, Hermes? Report at once.”

“One of the dragons, a Brutus,” said Hermes, “says he may be willing to join the Round Table, if he is well-supplied in gemstones. He wishes for you to respond as soon as possible to work out negotiations.”

Ironmane sighed.

“It’s always the same with dragons. All they want is gems. Just as bad as the Diamond Dogs…I hope you will excuse me, Your Highness,” he said, turning to Celestia, “but I will have to deal with this immediately.”

“You are excused, Ironmane,” said Celestia, “but I ask that you not forget what we have discussed. Give him a chance…”

Ironmane didn’t answer, but joined Hermes, and the two exited the throne room together, the doors shutting behind them.

With the throne room to herself, Celestia sighed and gazed out the window. Could Dave’s claims of being from an entirely different world be nonsense? Was it possible that he was really part of the bloodline of the native Equestrian humans? Had she been right in denying him an answer to his question about Equestrian humans?…

“In due time,” she finally said, to herself. “In due time, he’ll know…”

***

“…In conclusion, though both are lethal, it is not to be misconstrued that cockatrice and basilisks are one and the same. Their origins of birth, physical forms, and methods of defense prove the difference between these intriguing beasts. However, despite being completely separate creatures, both should be approached with the same caution, or else avoided completely.”

Twilight set her quill down, feeling exhausted, but satisfied. She had been given a much more satisfying assignment from Princess Celestia recently, in light of a panic going around in Baltimare, when a crooked sales pony had been caught trying to sell illegal eggs that could have been those of a cockatrice or a basilisk. Celestia seemed to hope that Twilight’s responsive essay could be used to shed light on how to identify them and prevent the disaster before it happened.

Spike, for his part, looked incredibly relieved to see Twilight finish. It had been his job to pull down books on cockatrice and basilisks, and had been unnerved by the illustrations and descriptions of the chicken-headed winged serpent that could turn ponies to stone, as well as those of the giant snake that could kill with its venomous fangs as well as by merely looking at victims in the eye. Thinking about monsters like those made him doubt his draconic imperviousness at times.

“Thanks, Spike. I know this must have been very unsettling for you, but it was crucial to get this information to the ponies.”

“I’m just glad it’s over,” said Spike. “I haven’t felt this nervous since you asked me to help you write about hydra…You seem really happy, though, even when writing about giant snakes and chicken-headed monsters.”

“That’s because I’m still excited that my report on humans got extra credit!” squealed Twilight, jubilantly. “Dave’s been such a huge help, and he was the one who came up with the idea, remember?”

“Heh, yeah,” said Spike, grinning. “He’s a pretty cool guy. I kinda feel sorry for him, though,” he added, his grin fading.

“Why?” asked Twilight.

“Well, because he’s all alone,” said Spike. “He’s the only one of his kind here in Ponyville, just like…”

He trailed away, kicking at the ground with his little foot.

“Oh, Spike…” Twilight cooed. “You’re not still touchy about that, are you?”

She sidled over to the little dragon and put a comforting foreleg around him, nuzzling the top of his head with her cheek. He frowned.

“Me? N-No, no way! Dragons don’t get touchy!”

Twilight rolled her eyes, but smiled all the same.

“Well, Dave seems to be doing fairly well for himself. A few minor mishaps, maybe, but he’s getting along nicely. Hard to believe he’s only been with us for nearly 3 weeks.”

“I know,” said Spike. “Pretty wild.”

“Oh! I almost forgot. Did you get the morning paper?”

“Owlowiscious brought it in for me,” said Spike, holding it up. “I, uh, dunno if you wanna read it, though.”

“Why not?” asked Twilight, puzzled.

“Because it’s…it’s about Dave,” said Spike, hesitantly.

Twilight raised an eyebrow.

“That’s hardly anything to worry about. Of course he’s going to make the papers. He’s a human in Equestria.”

“It’s not that,” said Spike, still hesitantly. “It’s…it’s Dolly Tribune.”

Twilight’s eyes snapped wide open. She seized the paper from Spike’s claws with her magic and roved her eyes over the front page. A groan escaped her lips.

“Oh no…She found out about Dave’s escapades on Monday…”

“Is it…bad?”

“Well, not as bad as it could be, but you know Tribune,” said Twilight, grimly. “She loves a good, juicy story to spread. Poor Dave, though. He doesn’t seem the type to want this kind of publicity, and they’re already hinting at wanting an interview with him!”

“Uh oh,” said Spike. “If Tribune gets her hooves on him…”

***

“I think it needs more logs.”

“Ooh! Don’t forget the Crusader symbol on the flag!”

“This is gonna be so much fun!”

The four Crusaders were crowded together around the table in their clubhouse, a piece of drawing paper laid out flat between them. On it was a rough crayon sketch of what looked like a log raft with the mast of a schooner, a flag flying from its tip.

“Do you think Applejack will really help us build it?” asked Scootaloo.

“Sure she will!” said Apple Bloom. “We could even get Big Macintosh to help!”

“And Rarity can make the sail and the flag!” said Sweetie Belle.

“Cutie Mark Crusaders Sailors! Yay!” squealed Dinky.

“And once it’s ready,” said Apple Bloom, “we’ll bring Dave along with us! He won’t wanna miss it!”

“But he’s so big,” said Scootaloo. “What if he sinks the boat?”

“That’s why we’re getting as many logs as we can,” said Apple Bloom. “It’s gotta be big enough for all five of us.”

“Besides, wood floats,” said Sweetie Belle. “It’ll support him. He can’t be that heavy.”

“Our first rafts sank,” said Scootaloo.

“That’s because those were made of twigs,” said Apple Bloom.

“Pretty big twigs, if you ask me,” said Scootaloo, snappishly. “The best I could find. The problem was that the four of us together were too heavy for them, fatty.”

“What did ya call me?!” shouted Apple Bloom, her orange eyes flashing.

“Scootaloo!” said Sweetie Belle, scandalized. “What a thing to say!”

“I’m just saying all those apples have to go somewhere,” said Scootaloo, poking a hoof at Apple Bloom’s stomach. Apple Bloom glowered at her, rubbing where Scootaloo had poked her.

“Ah still say your twig load was lousy,” she snapped.

“It was not!” yelled Scootaloo, her wings buzzing angrily. “I got those twigs right from the edge of the Everfree Forest!”

“And who the hay says Everfree twigs are better than any other?”

“I suppose you’re an expert?”

“Better than you!”

“Why, you-!”

Sweetie Belle and Dinky watched, the latter aghast, the former increasingly exasperated, as Apple Bloom and Scootaloo argued.

“Lousy wood!”

“Too heavy!”

“Lousy wood!”

“Too heavy!”

“Lousy wood!”

“Too heavy!”

“ENOUGH!!” shrieked Sweetie Belle, her voice cracking.

The two fillies stopped at once, staring at Sweetie Belle, whose green eyes were blazing. Dinky’s ears were flattened against her skull from the piercing note.

“I don’t care if the first rafts sank because of bad wood or because the four of us were too heavy for them. If you two would stop squabbling, we could get to more important questions! What I wanna know is, do we even need a crow’s nest, or could we just borrow Rarity’s birdhouse?”

Apple Bloom and Scootaloo shared an awkward glance. Rarity was frightening when she was angry, and Sweetie Belle, at that moment, reminded them forcibly of her in her worst mood, vehement and unpredictable. It was sometimes scary how similar they were.

Finally, Scootaloo said,

“Sorry for calling you fat, Apple Bloom.”

“Sorry for criticizing yer work, Scootaloo,” said Apple Bloom.

Scootaloo held out her hoof, and Apple Bloom bumped hers against it, the two of them smiling. Dinky sighed with relief.

“Was there something you wanted to add, Dinky?” asked Sweetie Belle.

“Huh? Oh! I just had kind of a silly idea,” said Dinky, sheepishly shuffling her hoof. “You don’t wanna hear it…”

“Aw, come on, sis, tell us,” implored Scootaloo.

“We won’t laugh,” said Apple Bloom.

“Promise,” said Sweetie Belle.

“Well…” said Dinky, “what if, instead of just sailors, we were…Cutie Mark Crusaders Pirates?”

The other three just stared at her, mouths agape. Dinky ducked herself down, abashed.

“I’m sorry! I knew it was a dumb idea…” she mumbled.

“No-no-no,” said Apple Bloom. “Dinky, that’s a great idea!”

“It is?” asked Dinky, looking up.

“Yeah! Being pirates is way more fun than just being sailors!” said Scootaloo.

“And pirates get to search for buried treasure!” said Sweetie Belle. “Gold, diamonds, rubies, sapphires, emeralds!”

Dinky’s cute little face lit up. She hadn’t expected that her idea would generate so much excitement.

“It’s decided, then,” said Apple Bloom. “When the raft’s done, the four of us and Dave are gonna be…”

Dinky loved this part. She took in a deep breath with the others, and they shouted, at the top of their lungs,

CUITE MARK CRUSADERS PIRATES! YAY!!

***

In her cottage, Fluttershy was weaving her head in a steady circle, a strip of bandaging clutched in her teeth. In front of her was her charge, a full-grown bear that had hurt its paw, and was now giving little whimpering growls as Fluttershy wound the bandaging round and round its injury.

Finally, Fluttershy finished, and began tying up the loose ends with her teeth.

“Now, perhaps next time you’ll be a little more careful about where you search for your honey, won’t you, Harry?”

The bear nodded.

“Good,” said Fluttershy, with a tender smile, and she kissed Harry’s paw. “Now run along and play.”

Harry gave a happy grunt, got to his feet, and shambled off. Fluttershy watched him go with that same motherly smile on her face.

Angel was seated on his favorite spot on the couch, finishing the remains of a carrot Fluttershy had given him. When he saw that his mistress had finished playing nurse, he hopped off the couch, dragging a rolled-up newspaper with him, and tugged at her tail. The gentle pegasus glanced down at him.

“Hmm? Yes, Angel?”

Angel held up the paper for her to see, and she glanced at the front page. She gasped.

“Oh, goodness! Dave made the front page? He should be so proud!”

Angel shook his head in a frustrated way and pointed his paw emphatically at the article. Fluttershy pored over it more carefully, her delicate eyes roving over the text, and she gasped again.

“Oh, dear…I don’t think Dave would have wanted to make the front page like that, not with something so embarrassing. Ohh, this is just awful!” Fluttershy began pacing up and down. “I wonder if Dave’s already seen it. Will he be angry? Will he be sad? It isn’t exactly mean, but it’s about an embarrassing thing he did. Does that still count? Oh, what will he say? What will he do?”

Angel tugged at her silky tail again to make her stop. She glanced down at her little rabbit friend, concern registered in her eyes. Angel hopped over to her and patted her hoof, in a rare reassuring way of his that meant ‘Don’t worry. It’s not your problem.’ Fluttershy sighed.

“You’re right. Thanks, Angel. It feels like I always go to pieces over everypony else’s problems. Still, I’d hate to imagine if it happened to me.”

Angel crossed his forelegs. He was clearly not concerned about what happened to that human, whatever his mistress said. He still hadn’t quite forgiven him for leading Fluttershy into the Everfree Forest and then losing her.

Fluttershy, however, seemed to guess what the rabbit was thinking, and said, in a stern tone,

“Now, Angel Bunny, it wasn’t his fault. I was the one who ran away from his side. If I hadn’t been so scared of the storm, we wouldn’t have separated. Besides, we came out all right, and that’s what’s important, isn’t it?”

Angel still kept his forelegs crossed, but he rolled his eyes in a way that said, ‘I suppose…’

“Come on now, Mr. Grumpy-Bunny,” cooed Fluttershy, the motherly tones making Angel squirm unpleasantly, as if he were a little kid about to be kissed by his auntie. “He’s not that bad. He’s really nice. He even reminds me of myself, sometimes, when he’s nervous.”

Angel looked askance, grumpily, as if thinking ‘Great, just what I need: another wimp…’

“You just haven’t gotten used to him,” Fluttershy went on. “One of these days, I’ll invite him over for tea, and then the two of you can get to know each other better. Won’t that be fun?”

Fluttershy beamed, but Angel turned his head away and gagged, clearly not enthused.

“Oh!” said Fluttershy, seeming to remember something. “I’d better hurry and round up the songbirds that stayed behind! This Winter Wrap-Up, they’re going to sing ‘All in the Golden Afternoon’! Isn’t that wonderful?”

Angel shrugged, not altogether displeased with the idea. He followed his mistress out the door.

***

In all of Ponyville, there was just one house that stood out among all the others.

Structurally, it seemed the same as the rest of the houses in Ponyville, but there were a few things that made it different from the others, and not merely for the fact that it stood on a hill all by itself. For one thing, the doorway was a window, and the windows were miniature doors. The body was made of the thatching usually reserved for roofing, and the roof was made of wood. There were two chimneys, and none of them made of brick or stone, and spewed bubbles rather than smoke. The top of a mailbox sat in the yard like a garden gnome, while a real garden gnome sat on a wooden stake, like a mailbox. A welcome mat sat outside the door, but instead of ‘Welcome’, it read out the current date, with no one able to explain how it did it.

When Screwball, for it was she who owned this house, heard the arrival of the post, she slid the bottom part of her ‘door’ open and clambered out, first heading to her ‘mailbox’ to see if any mail had arrived. She let out an inaudible sigh as she saw it was empty again. She then picked up her newspaper and went back inside, closing the window of a door behind her.

The inside of her home was even more absurd than the outside, maybe even more so. Despite the thatched makeup of the exterior, the walls of her bedroom were still plastered with wallpaper, and wild wallpaper at that: Magic Eye on one wall and goldfish in water on another. In fact, the goldfish in the paper actually moved, flicking their tails as if they were really swimming. Yet another depicted real fruit trees that, when approached, one could actually smell and, yes, even taste the fruit within it. Her ceiling was papered to resemble the sky, and depending on the weather and time of day, the paper would alter to resemble it.

The wall where her bed rested, however, was devoted to photographs and pictures. Three ponies already occupied part of it with their pictures: Lyra Heartstrings, Bon Bon, and Cheerilee. Screwball smiled as she observed her little collection. Lyra was wild and unpredictable, but was also really nice and eager to have fun. Bon Bon was equally sweet, but quieter and more reserved than Lyra. Cheerilee was one of the kindest ponies she ever knew, hooves down. All three of them never complained or made excuses when Screwball wanted to have fun with them. They didn’t shy away when she wanted to hang out with them. They understood her. They tolerated her. They liked her.

Screwball looked down at the newspaper and gave a slight gasp. That human was on the front page! He was singing, dancing, holding a mug of cider in his hand. Two other ponies she knew by sight, Rainbow Dash and Berry Punch, were with him, dancing alongside him. She giggled softly at how they looked.

She took the page in her teeth and, carefully, tore out the picture in a way that left only the human’s head and shoulders intact. She flipped the piece of paper into her mouth, chewed it thoughtfully, then spat it out, where it landed with a wet splat, whole and untarnished, on the wall, alongside the others she deemed her friends. She smiled at the happy, singing human face on her wall. She felt confident that he still remembered her, and that there might come a day when they might even see each other again. Maybe then, she wouldn’t be so shy…

Author's Note:

This is, once again, an alternate POV chapter.

Thank you to all those who submitted ideas for this one. =D

PreviousChapters Next