• Published 29th Sep 2016
  • 2,821 Views, 27 Comments

A Glimpse of Shimmering Sky - Long Long Way From Home



Summer in Canterlot is a beautiful time of year. If only Sunset's friends were around. But maybe Sunset doesn't have to spend the day without a friend.

  • ...
0
 27
 2,821

Conversation

The harsh sunlight beat down heavily on Sunset from the moment she walked out the door. Condensation quickly formed on the outside of the plastic cups she was holding, dripping water down on the sidewalk at her feet. Taking a quick sip of her drink, she relished the sweet liquid running down her throat, cooling her off as well as waking her up. Looking back up, she spotted the girl in the green shirt walking quickly away from the establishment.

Following quickly to try and catch up, Sunset saw her turn into the park, momentarily escaping her sight around a hedge. She jogged to catch up, breathing a sigh of relief as she caught sight of her immediately upon turning a corner. The park was small yet well kept, and accessible enough that it saw plenty of traffic from those looking to temporarily escape the bustle of the city. It was bordered along two sides by hedges of tall bushes, granting some degree of privacy, though the inside was fairly open, containing mostly walkways and a few trees to break up the fields of grass.

Sunset was glad to see that the girl hadn’t gone much further. It was hot enough outside that she preferred to minimize any strenuous activities on her part. As she walked up to the bench the girl was sitting on, she noticed the girl appeared to be crying. Sunset hesitated. She suddenly felt slightly awkward approaching this girl she didn’t even know. She had bought a drink for her, but she wasn’t even sure why. The girl might not have even wanted company for all Sunset knew.

Suddenly bombarded by thoughts of self-doubt, Sunset froze. She wasn’t sure if she should keep going, or maybe just turn around and go back the way she came. A loud sniff from the mystery girl snapped her out of her thoughts.

Well, it’s not like I had anything else planned. Besides, she looks like she could use a friend.

Her mind made up, Sunset took a deep breath and stepped forward.

“Hi there!” Sunset nervously said to the crying girl. She smiled softly, trying to seem less threatening. It wasn’t the first time she had spoken with a crying girl, though she was more used to being the cause for their tears.

“Um, hi. Can I help you?” the mystery girl said with a sniff. She looked up slightly to the girl standing in front of her, visibly confused.

“Well, uh, not really. I just noticed you looked lonely, and, well…” Sunset trailed off. She had to force herself to keep going before her doubts had a chance to trip her up again.

“You looked lonely and I was wondering if you wanted to hang out?” she punctuated her request by holding out a hand, offering the still full iced coffee to the other girl.

The other girl looked at the cup before looking back at Sunset. She hesitantly took the cup before speaking again.

“Thanks? Uh, I don’t mean to sound rude, but do I know you?”

Sunset smiled more easily, happy that she hadn’t been outright ignored at the very least. “No” she said, “I don’t think so, at least. I’m Sunset Shimmer!”

“I’m Starlight. Starlight Glimmer.” Starlight wiped her eyes dry after speaking.

“Mind if I sit down with you?” Sunset asked, taking a seat at Starlight’s nod, “It’s a beautiful day out, isn’t it?”

Sunset didn’t think that the girl, ‘Starlight’ she reminded herself, was about to open up about her problems to any random stranger who happened by, so she tried to make small talk with her and get her to open up a bit more. It was slow going, but Sunset didn’t have anywhere else to be. And perhaps before the day was through the girl wouldn't feel so lonely anymore.

Author's Note:

Here's the third chapter! It's a bit shorter, but the last one is the longest. I'll be releasing it around noon tomorrow, so stay tuned!