• Published 26th Sep 2016
  • 2,517 Views, 76 Comments

Bright Green Monster Realm, Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Undeath - ArtieStroke



A fantastical romp starring a ragtag group of familiar monster girls

  • ...
7
 76
 2,517

Lesson 1: Monsterization

Mon-ster-i-za-tion \man-stər-aj-ze-ʃən\

n.

The process through which humans (in particular those of the feminine persuasion) are transformed into members of the mamono species, usually through demonic energy overwhelming a person's spiritual energy.


Twilight didn't want to open her eyes. Unconsciousness was a seductive mistress, lulling one into a false sense of security with promises of fantastical dreams and restful slumber.

But wake she must; the various slow, ebbing pains wracking her body keeping her from total darkness. She opened her eye just a crack, and light assaulted her vision. She immediately regretted it.

"Euuurgh..."

"T-Twilight?" a scared, but familiar voice sounded. Twilight grew concerned- Spike sounded scared for her. Why did Spike sound scared for her? That didn't make any sense, she didn't have any truly dangerous experiments planned anytime soon...

Against their pained protests, Twilight opened her eyes. She lay in the nursery wing of the Canterlot College's castle- an area she wasn't incredibly intimate with, but knew well enough to recognize. The pure white walls and the scent of over-cleanliness were also a dead give away. Off in the corner, Spike stood- shaking nervously, like a leaf in the wind. The young boy looked ready to bolt, and clenched his fist as Twilight let out another pained groan.

"Spike? What happened?"

It was as if the weight of the world fell off of Atlas' shoulders, the way Spike's face melted with relief. He rushed over to Twilight, crushing her in a hug with much more strength than a 17 year old boy should have. Twilight could've sworn she heard her spine crack as the air rushed from her lungs.

"Twilight! Oh thank god, you're not a zombie!"

Twilight was about to remind Spike for her need to breath, before she was struck by a curious realization: she didn't feel the burning sensation in her lungs associated with asphyxiation. In fact, she felt fine- aside from the kid's vice-like grip grinding her ribs together.

It took Twilight long enough to process this that Spike finally had his fill of reunited hugging and released her. Twilight shook her head.

"What do you- zombie? Spike, what's going on?"

She held a hand to her chest, a nervous habit from getting worried and an attempt to calm a fast paced heart. Twilight blinked again with another realization.

"Spike, why can't I feel my heartbeat?"

Spike grimaced, looking down, "Well, uh... it's a bit of a story."

Hours Earlier...

Life in Canterlot was good for Spike. Even as a ward of the state, he was well taken care of- hell, with the princess as a pseudo-parent and Twilight as the sister he never had, life could even be described as great. Aside from the occasional magical mishap from Celestia's "Most faithful student" (Twilight's words, not his), Spike was free to spend his days joking with the guards, learning the standard subjects, and pursuing a burgeoning talent in storytelling (As much as Twilight would balk at labeling his various comics as 'story'.)

Then came the boom.

It barely shook the room Spike was in, but it was enough to spill the ink over a page's worth of work. Her cursed loudly, springing from his seat to avoid getting any over his clothes and glaring out the window in the direction of the tower he knew Twilight used for her magical studies.

His scowl quickly changed to an expression of fear, as the dark wriggling mass of blackness that surrounded the parapet was definitely outside the realm of Twilight's normal magical mistakes.

Slamming the doors open, he ran as fast as his adolescent legs could carry him. Guards in the halls were already on high alert, and a few roaming dignitaries stood in their places in fear. As he crossed the skyway from one tower to the adjacent one, he spotted a familiar figure, dressed in pure white and golden regalia, marching with purpose and with just the slightest hurry of fear- a rare thing to notice about the royal lilim, Spike thought.

"P-princess Celestia?" Spike called as he hurried to her. Her white spaded tail flicked with recognition, and the ruler swiftly turned to see his approach. She let out a breath she didn't realize had caught in her chest, before swooping down and hugging the boy close.

"Oh, thank goodness you're alright. When I saw the explosion was in Twilight's study, I feared-"

Spike lightly smacked one of her arms, and Celestia blinked before she noticed the poor boy turning blue between her bosoms.

"Need... air..."

She immediately let him go, taken aback, "My apologies! Sometimes I forget my own strength."

"Happens to the best of us," Spike coughed out, before standing up straight, "Come on, we gotta make sure Twilight is alright!"

Celestia nodded, and the two resumed their hurried pace into the tower. Rubble dotted the stairway; wasting no time, Celestia grabbed Spike around the waist and unfurled her wings, white and grand like a bleached raven. They took off like a rocket, skipping the endless upward spirals altogether.

"UWAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

Spike wasn't exactly used to flying, and with the stone roof still mostly intact and directly between them and Twilight's study, Spike saw his life flash before his eyes. He could almost hear the imminently approaching "splat" that would signal it's end.

Of course, being a lilim, Celestia was made of stuff sterner than stone. The two of them burst through the barrier, Celestia slowly and effortlessly alighting onto her feet as Spike shakily dropped from her grip. Ground, sweet sweet ground. Oh how he could kiss it. But prostrating before stable flooring would have to wait, as Spike quickly saw how gone to hell Twilight's study had become. Desks were cracked in two, pages of notes fluttered about like a miniature tornado. Twilight would flip if she saw the mess she caused.

The woman in mention stood in the center of the room. Or well, more like floated slightly off the ground in the center of the room. Black wisps of energy danced off of her, coalescing into a solid orb of blackness behind her. Bright black light, however that could even exist, shone from her eyes as she mumbled words unknown to Spike. The young man's worry for his surrogate sister grew, and Celestia gritted her teeth.

"Twilight?"

Immediately her focus snapped to Spike, and he felt an almost primal fear well up inside. This was not natural- and definitely not good either. Celestia immediately stepped between the two, as a golden orb of magic started growing between her forward curling horns.

"No! I will not allow any more to fall to your whims, elemental of darkness!" She shouted, as she shot a piercing light at the encroaching inky tentacles. They hissed and evaporated, and Twilight- no, the creature possessing her- tilted her head quizzically. In a blink, she was over to them, and Celestia had barely a moment to block the blow before returning in kind. Spike stood back, scared stiff as the two blinked in and out of existence, trading magical blow for blow. Every tendril of liquid night was matched in kind by a ray of light, and soon enough Celestia burst upwards through the broken roof. Raising her hands high above her head, she let out a harsh war cry as light coalesced in her palms, shining like a miniature sun-

"Okay, I'm calling bullshit."

Spike blinked as Twilight stared deadpan at him.

"What?"

"There is NO WAY I fought the Princess one-on-one like that! Even if possessed by an elemental Dark Matter," Twilight said, closing her eyes and raising a finger, "For one, Dark Matter possession does not do much to enhance the victim's physical traits. Second, Dark Matters are slow and ponderous in their movements, they can't just blink around like that."

She then opened one eye and sealed her final argument, "And third- as much as she probably could, Celestia would not, and I quote, 'use the Spirit-Bomb on me'."

Spike slumped, "Way to take the fun out of it..." He sighed, "Fine- we found you all wrapped up in that Dark Matter's... stuff. Celestia couldn't banish it without banishing you too, and you'd already taken in a LOT of Demonic Energy. So..." he frowned, trying to find the words.

"... So Celestia sealed what she could of the Dark Matter where she could," Twilight finished for him, "...In me."

Spike shrugged, "Welcome to the life of a monster girl, Twilight."

Twilight thunked her head against the wall, "Oh god, Shining Armor's gonna kill me..."