• Published 24th Sep 2016
  • 9,739 Views, 136 Comments

Idol Hooves at A Canterlot Wedding - Airy Words



What will happen to everyone's favorite changeling Royal Guard when Chrysalis comes to town?

  • ...
23
 136
 9,739

Time to Wake Up

"But Corporal Idol Hooves, this is an emergency!" the dark blue earth pony protested again. I noticed that his fine suit, which was typically pristine, was now somewhat dirty and not at all looking “freshly pressed.” I pitied him a bit. Yet another pony who let themselves go when the moment of the big event finally arrived. The twelve supposed Night Guard ponies behind me shifted slightly, I could hear them adjusting their grip on their weapons.

"Royal Tasks, there is always an emergency somewhere in Canterlot."

"Prince Shining Armor's protective dome has shattered, and we're under an invasion!"

I had to admit to myself that there was a bit more yelling outside than I could remember from other wedding celebrations. "If more guests want to attend the wedding than were invited, I'm sure the Royal Kitchens can provide."

"No, no, no! There are some sort of monsters attacking!"

I snorted. I wasn't a fool. "I doubt that very much. I'm sure Shining Armor and Princess Cadance had invitations delivered to all the monsters that were supposed to attend."

Royal Tasks mouth hung open limply, doubtless stunned by my brilliant logic. Soon, he resumed his entreaties. "But Princess Luna would not want to miss the wedding, and it's about to start!"

"Then I'm sure she will wake up when she doesn't want to dream about the wedding anymore."

The earth pony started to tear pieces of his mane out. I’d heard of this practice before, but this was the first time I had actually seen it happen. So much for that just being another colorful pony expression of speech. "Corporal, you will be hanged and drawn and quartered for this!"

"For following orders?"

The earth pony fumed and began stomping around the hallway. I idly wondered if all this marching truly was necessary for ponies to form their thoughts into coherent sentences. He stomped a bit too close to the Night Guard but backed up quickly when the closest aimed her spear at his chest.

Eventually, he found his words again. “But these bug-like pony creatures are destroying everything in Canterlot! They’re rounding up the civilians and sucking out their blood or something!”

I started at that. That sounded uncomfortably familiar. "Really?"

Royal Tasks bounced his head up and down. "Yes! Yes! All the ponies are suffering!"

"Show me."

Royal Tasks galloped down the hall and around the corner to an open window. As I followed, I could hear the screams growing louder, and they were not the celebratory kind. When I looked out, I saw something from a nightmare. Ponies were fighting changelings. Ponies were dying. Changelings were dying. In the Royal Gardens, palace servants were being forcibly drained of their emotions by drones. The enormity of what was happening struck me like a buck in the stomach. Chrysalis was taking over Equestria. And I had helped it happen.

What was I to do now? Did my loyalty lie with the Hive and queen that birthed me or my sworn oath to Equestria?

Royal Tasks yelled in my ear. "Will you let me wake Princess Luna now?"

I glanced beyond the castle walls; smoke and fire were rising from the city. I had my answer. Perhaps I had always felt it, but now I knew it was true. I turned to the earth pony. "I can't. They won't let me in. Go find at least two dozen of the Royal or Night Guard to force your way through."

Royal Task nodded, relieved. "Good idea. You find more and I'll meet you back at the Princess' chamber." He galloped down the hall at his top speed.

I turned back to the window. I had deliberately chosen an armor design that fit both unicorns and pegasi. Popping off the blanks covering the wing holes, I shifted into my "Sandy" pegasus form, spread my wings, and leaped. I flew high over the city to avoid anyone, changeling or pegasus. I could only hope I would be in time.

"I'm coming, Topaz."