• Published 14th Sep 2016
  • 2,339 Views, 16 Comments

A Gem Unwrought - Yinglung



A dragon assistant toiling away in the Castle of Friendship suddenly found himself as a familiar unicorn fashionista. What's more, he was shocked to find himself stranded in a critical moment of the not-so-distant past.

  • ...
0
 16
 2,339

Chapter 2

Author's Note:

New illustration added for Chapter 1!

The white mare looked with a face full of apprehension to the delicately framed bathroom mirror. The mare in the mirror looked back to him with the same disquieted look.

“What can I do? What should I do? I have really become Rarity…! Why is this happening? And the most of important of all, where is the real Rarity?”

The white mare mouthed off nervously, and then let out a big sigh. “Let’s hope that she’s not freaking out in my body back in Canterlot. If Twilight is in any way delayed, then Nightmare Moon might seize the chance and bring about eternal night!”

Feeling his heart beating fast in his chest, he rapidly shook his head. “Now, now, Spike. You’ve been to worse places; you’ve endured so many misadventures with Twi... You can do this!”

Slowly walking into the bath, the white mare clumsily attempted to remove his purple nightgown. However, hooves were too different compared to the claws he was used to, and he fumbled for a while without success.

He angrily huffed, concentrating all his mind solely on the offending article of fashion. Suddenly, a blue aura formed around his gown and readily took them off his body, like a magician yanking off a tablecloth.

He was slightly surprised, and his gaze turned towards the laundry bin. It was then as if the gown received an order, and it dropped into the bin by itself.

As the blue aura fizzled out, the white mare touched his new horn with amazement.

“Whoa, how handy! Unicorns really have it easy. At least I can cast this t- teli- teleki… uh, object moving spell easily enough... Weird, it feels almost as natural as my fire breath!”

Gingerly walking into the bathtub, he then looked down into the ornate set-up and shook his head. This was not the time to sit down and have a bubble bath.

He searched high and low, and finally found a white shower head hanging high on the side of the wall. Rarity must have seldom used the shower head, opting for taking a bath every time.

He shrugged, and installed the shower head with the help of his hooves and newfound magic. He drew the curtain and turned the faucet. Soon enough, pre-heated water from the boiler came gushing out and spraying on him, giving him a refreshing sense of zest.

The white fur coat quickly got wet and stuck to his skin. It was a strange and novel feeling. When he was a dragon, taking a shower always felt peppy. The flying beads of water would hit his scales, like a piano player playing staccato. They would then slide off cleanly, and the whole matter was quite simple.

However, the white fur now absorbed the momentum of the stream. It felt so different, as if someone was massaging his using many teeny-tiny appendages. The careless caresses tickled, causing his to snicker involuntarily as he tried to scrub the nerve out of his body.

He washed his hooves, his chest, and also his back with the help of a body scrub. But as he had to inevitably reach for certain areas, he felt hotness rising in his cheeks.

He tried his very best not to let his mind drift into strange places, but the constant hot stream of water, white steam, as well as the aromatic smell from the soap were all assaulting his sensitive threshold and eroding his guard.

He bit his tongue, but immediately retracted, remembering to avoid hurting his borrowed body. Then he settled for a light pinch on the face, as he closed his eyes tightly and blindly scrubbed. Feeling hotness welling up in his cheeks, he shook his head vigorously, trying his best to ignore the weird and novel sensations of being a mare in the shower.

Picking up the shower head again, he sighed and continued, this time wetting his mane and tail for shampooing.

The luscious purple hair felt so velvety and soft upon his touch. Even though there had not been that much bodily contact between his and Rarity back then, he certainly remembered the feeling whenever Rarity’s mane or tail brushed across his face. It was always a nerve-tingling experience.

The same feeling was now felt in his hooves. Rarity’s hooves. It’s a freakish mix of familiarity and oddity. Spike had to question whether this was some really bizarre dream of his, because this was like a situation that might only be conjured up for fun by a certain chaos draconequus who was really bored out of his head.

The white mare widened his eyes in realization.

Hey, right, Discord! If this has to do with anyone in the world, it would be Discord! I knew it, he’s just too much of an imp not to mess with us!

He mumbled with annoyance, but eventually he just rolled up his eyes with defeat. So what if this was really Discord’s doing? At this point of time, he was now just a stone statue in the Royal Garden of Canterlot. Not to mention that this was just a guess of his, and Discord might have nothing to do with this after all.

He shampooed using his hooves, bored and on autopilot. It was a tiring affair, since Rarity’s mane and tail was so long and curly, and he had to apply extra care not to overexert and break his hairs.

After washing away the remaining bubbles, the white mare almost reached for the bath towel and stepped out, before he remembered that the hair needed conditioning as well.

His left eye twitched, and he bemoaned the price of beauty under his breath. Stepping back into the tub in defeat and eyes rolling up, he poured conditioner on the mane and began slaving away.

--------------------------------------------------------

“Rarity! You’re really quick this time!”

“Quick?” The white mare was confused. It took him a good half of an hour to wash himself, and it would be even longer if not for his frantic rush.

Sweetie Belle smiled. “Usually it would take at least an hour or two for you to have a bath. I almost thought to eat some biscuits first.”

Pressing his steaming mane with the bath towel, he said. “Oh, Sweetie, I promised to be quick, so I just take a quick shower. It would’ve been quicker if not for this troublesome mane of hair.”

“Troublesome, huh? This is the first time I heard you describe it like that. I mean, you love pampering your mane, don’t you?”

Yeah, I don’t know about Rarity. But having to do this every day is almost as worse as having to reorganize the whole library on Twi’s whim. He thought to himself.

But to Sweetie Belle, he still said cautiously. “Well, I love taking good care of my mane and tail, but it’s also quite some work to deal with them. You’ll understand when you grow a longer mane, dear.”

“I see!”

“Now, now let me cook you some breakfast, Sweetie. What would you like to eat today?”

Sweetie Belle’s eyes lit up. “Wait, I get to choose?”

The white mare raised a brow. Oh, it seems that Rarity didn’t really usually consult the opinion of Sweetie Belle like I did for Twi. Make sense, she’s just a filly. But now that I’ve asked, may as well go along with it.

“Um, of course, Sweetie. It’s a special day after all.”

Sweetie Belle immediately crossed her hooves and thought aloud. “Hmm, definitely no muesli! It tastes so dry and hard. Can I have a baked bean and cheese wrap, with a banana and berry smoothie? They are my favorites!”

Those don’t seem so hard. Twi’s requests can be more complicated.

“Right, let me check if we have enough ingredients. Just you wait, darling.”

The white mare walked into the kitchen. Opening the cupboard and the fridge, he let out a sigh of relief. The Rarity household was well-stocked, with the cooking ingredients all neatly organized. His high opinion of his crush just rose a little bit higher.

Whistling a tune like he always did when cooking, he turned on the stove and began to heat up the flatbread he just put on the pan.

He had not gotten entirely comfortable with using hooves for skilled maneuver, and his telekinesis was still a bit unstable, but it was about enough to cook a simple flat wrap. In any case, he was getting used to being a unicorn pony, for better or for worse. Drawing energy from what appeared to be the magical core of Rarity, he flipped the flatbread with little trouble.

After some hectic shuffling, he finally placed the mixed smoothies on the tray next to the wraps, and briskly trotted out with the two servings, one for Sweetie Belle and one for himself.

“Woohoo! Eh, wait, you’re having the same as mine today?”

The white mare smiled thinly. “I just don’t want to overthink. We still have a lot to do today.”

Sweetie Belle nodded, and took a big gulp of the smoothie. “Yum!”

The white mare also picked up his wrap and bit into it. He tried his best to appear mannered and collected in front of Rarity’s sister, and chewed carefully and slowly.

“Rarity?” Sweetie Belle suddenly asked aloud.

The white mare widened his eyes and almost choked on the beans. He began to cough, earning a gasp and a worried look from Sweetie Belle.

“A- Are you alright, Rarity?” The white filly asked.

“I- *cough* *cough*-! I, ahem, I’m fine, I guess.”

After the fit, the white mare gasped for air and patted his chest repeatedly. “I’m just on my nerve this morning, and I got easily spooked. Not your fault, Sweetie.”

Sweetie Belle chewed down on her wrap and looked down again uncertainly. “If you say so…”

The white mare exhaled and raised his brows. “You were asking me something, right? Do you need anything?”

“N- Nothing, I just… um…”

“Hmm?”

Sweetie Belle walked round the table, leaned close and kissed the white mare’s forehead.

“W- W- What for, Sweetie Belle?!”

His cheek ignited again at the white filly’s sudden gesture. Even though to Sweetie Belle, he was simply his big sister Rarity, but to the white mare, he was still at heart a young teenage dragon boy. And a filly just kissed him out of the blue.

“I just want to thank you, big sis!”

“H- Huh?”

Sweetie Belle smiled. “I was a bit surprised that you’d agreed to bring me out on this busy day. And even though you don’t look like you feel well this morning, you haven’t become at all grouchy when I broke the door handle or gave you a scare just now. You’re so gentle and patient to me, and even took the time to make me my favorite meal! You’re the best sister ever!”

The white mare felt rather conflicted at Sweetie Belle’s shower of praise, primarily because the mare he was talking to was not really his big sister, and he felt a bit bad about having to deceive the innocent filly.

“Haha… you’re welcome, dear. Now let’s finish our breakfast quickly. It’s almost nine.”

He knitted his brows in worried contemplation and muttered to himself. “Oh dear, what do I have to do again apart from setting up the town hall…?”

“Big sis, I don’t think there’s any. You said you wanted to focus on the Summer Sun Celebration, remember? You even told me yesterday that you’ve finished all remaining orders by staying up late for the last few days, before promising me to go out together!”

“Did I?” The white mare secretly let out a sigh of relief for Rarity’s industriousness.

Sweetie Belle again asked. “Are you sure you feel okay enough? You look not quite alright, and I never saw you forget about your work.”

“Umm…”The white mare put up a troubled face. The truth was he never ‘forgot’ about his work, it was just that he never knew.

Sweetie Belle gently embraced the white mare. “It’s okay, big sis! We can stay home instead of going out! It’s going to be way too crowded in the town anyway. We can just chat, snack and play!”

She snuggled the white mare. “It’s been some time since we spend some sisterly time together, right?”

“Sweetie Belle…”

The white mare reflexively laid a hoof on his new ‘sister’, but he still did not know what to do. It was true that he had little mood to wander around, and staying home and talking with Sweetie Belle might fill him in more about the current life of Rarity. However, it felt wrong to give up on his… or Rarity’s promise, and he was a bit scared of the possibility that talking with Sweetie Belle for too long would expose himself.

At the end, his desire for calmer moments and clarity won over, and he said. “Thank you Sweetie. I think it’s indeed better if I can stay home before work. I’m sorry for not being able to bring you out today. I promise I will make up for it when I’m better.”

“I’m holding you to your words, Rarity!” Sweetie Belle grinned.

The white mare chuckled. He then scratched his cheek and said. “Heh, now we should do some more casual chat. Perhaps it would help me calm my nerves as well. How about you telling me what adventures you three fillies are up to again?”

“Huh, what adventures? And who are the other two fillies?”

The white mare covered his mouth. Holy macaroni, they must have not yet to meet each other at this moment of time!

“Oh, I, uh, just mean that you might be able to find some friends with common interests once you start the new school year. A group of three sounds like fun, doesn’t it?”

Sweetie Belle shifted nervously. “Y- Yeah, and I hope so. I don’t know any other colt or filly in Ponyville yet.”

“Mark my words, Sweetie. You will find new friends in school very quickly, and you will have a lot of fun adventures with them.”

The white mare smiled to his sister for now, who looked back quizzically at his remark. He gave it no heed, and as he looked up and his gaze swept through the room, he noticed something on the shelf which would really be useful for spending time with the filly.

He grinned and magicked the marbles from the shelves. “Sweetie, let’s finish our breakfasts. We can chat over sweet tea and then play some fun games!”

Sweetie Belle looked delighted. “That sounds great!”