• Published 30th Aug 2016
  • 7,296 Views, 311 Comments

The TwiDash Imperium - MatCor1337



Twilight finds the mirror-portal behind Princess Celestia's throne after being left behind at the wedding rehearsal. But instead of Canterlot High, it sends herself, Rainbow Dash and Spike to Terra before the Unification Wars.

  • ...
23
 311
 7,296

Then We Leave

Chapter 1: Then We Leave

“You have a lot to think about.”

That was it. That was the final proverbial nail in the coffin for Twilight Sparkle. All she was trying to do was protect her brother, Shining Armor, from ruining his life by marrying an evil mare. Cadence was her old foalsitter, so she knew how she acted, but the “Cadence” that her brother was about to marry was definitely not the real one.

And what does she get for being a good and protective little sister? Betrayal. Not only did Shining forbid her from attending the wedding and practically disown her, but her friends turned their backs to her and the princess’ cold words were like hot daggers in her heart.

Only when they had finally left the hall did Twilight finally let the dam burst. She didn’t know how long she’d been crying there, but she knew that she couldn’t stay in Canterlot any more. Focusing her thoughts just enough to make a spell, she concentrated her magic into a long-ranged teleport. When she used the spell, she was quickly confused once she noticed that she was in the throne room, and not back at her library/home in Ponyville.

She was going to try again, but stopped when she heard a faint sound. After listening in on it for a bit she concluded that it was very much like a heartbeat and coming from the direction of the throne itself. As Twilight walked closer to the throne, the sound got louder.
Finally reaching the throne of her men- no, her former mentor, she continued to follow the steady heartbeat towards a door hidden behind it. She opened the door and started her path through a long, torch-lit corridor. After hearing the door close behind her, she knew that this was the point of no return, that she couldn’t go back. Not that she’d even want to go back to them anyway.

Twilight followed down the corridor into a circular room with armored statues lining the walls. But she didn’t pay them any mind, as what caught her attention was the mirror with her cutie mark at the top in the center of the room. She couldn’t quite put her hoof on it, but Twilight felt a sense of peace and serenity emanating from the mirror, like it could take away all her problems.

She walked up to the mirror and placed her hoof against it, then almost stumbled when said hoof went straight through.

“GAH!” she yelped, falling back on her rump and staring at the now rippling mirror. Twilight continued staring dumbstruck as the reflective surface settled back to normal. Shaking her head, she stood back up and stepped in front of the mirror again. She lightly tapped the surface with her hoof, causing the ripple effect.

A sense of realisation hit Twilight as she remembered about reading a book that spoke of an enchanted mirror that could send ponies and other creatures to another world, but it was said to have been destroyed when that world grew too dangerous. It would seem that somepony lied in the history books.

Looking back to the corridor, she thought of going to her parents to talk to them, but quickly shook that thought away as she figured that her brother had already ranted to them and would be treated the same when they saw her. So with newfound resolve and determination, she looked straight at the mirror, uttered three final words, “Goodbye, cruel world”, and leaped forward into an unknown world.


=][=


Ten minutes earlier…

Rainbow Dash felt sick. Not sick physically, but emotionally. Just a few moments after they had left Twilight after her accusations of Cadence being evil, something had been gnawing at the back of Rainbow’s mind. She tried to fly it off, take a nap, and even make casual conversation with the others, but nothing worked; it wouldn’t go away and seemed to get stronger.

Trying something different, she went to the hall where the Elements of Harmony were stored to see if the instruments that brought herself and her friends together would calm her. It only made things worse.

Just as she was about three feet away from the door, a huge wave of anger washed over Rainbow Dash. She had never felt so much hatred and fury before in all her life. But what shook her to the core was when a voice came into her head, a voice she had never heard before but knew what it belonged to: the Element of Loyalty. And boy, it was pissed.

It insulted her, called her a traitorous scum; unworthy of being its bearer. Rainbow would have tried to retort, but she was suddenly shown moments in Ponyville where she only cared about herself and her pride. Helping ponies with their problems just to relish in their praise and attention, only doing what she did for the glory. What she saw next broke her heart: she watched the memory of herself, Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy and Pinkie having a picnic when Twilight appeared and asked for their help with a friendship report, but they all said that it was nothing to worry about and brushed it off. After a spell gone wrong, the Mane 6, Spike and Princess Celestia were at Twilight’s home/workplace and were making their own report that they would listen to the worries of their friends and take them seriously.

Straight after that promise was made, the memory of the wedding rehearsal that wasn’t too long ago flashed into Rainbow’s mind. She saw the heartbroken look of absolute horror and shock on Twilight’s face as they all turned their backs to her and left the hall. The fact that she stayed there a little longer made the cyan pegasus think that this was the Elements’ memory, and so she was able to see the abandoned unicorn cry her heart out before the memory faded and she was looking at the vault door to the Elements again.

Rainbow could feel tears streaming down her face, but she didn’t stop them; she didn’t care. She hated herself for what she did to one of her closest friends. If Loyalty had a body of its own, she knew it would be glaring down at the pegasus with a curious eye and perhaps a snarl, waiting for her next move.

“Oh, Twilight… I’m so sorry…” she sobbed.

Rainbow Dash cried for about a minute when she heard a groaning sound in front of her. She looked up to see the Elements’ vault opening and the chest that contained them float down before her hooves. The chest opened and revealed the Elements enveloped in a blazing glow that made it seem that the Elements were on fire, all except one. The Element of Magic was much darker than normal and it gave Dash an uneasy feeling. She slowly raised her right hoof towards the tiara, silently praying that the raging aura doesn’t somehow burn her. Taking the fact that her fur wasn’t catching on fire as she hovered over the Element of Loyalty as a good sign, with all the care in the world, Rainbow gently pressed her hoof on Twilight’s Element and her eyes widened at what she felt.

Nothing. It was stone cold. She could only feel more anger to herself and her friends for what they had done. The Element of Magic was in a state of utter despair and loneliness, almost like the equivalent of someone who was as good as dead. Rainbow retracted her hoof from the star shaped Element in shock.

After examining her hoof for a few seconds, she looked back at the other Elements. Their glow wasn’t as intense to her, but she could still feel the anger they had towards their own bearers, which led Rainbow to believe that they decided that she was redeemable and could be forgiven. With newfound determination she wiped away any new tears that threatened to fall, gently closed the chest whilst silently thanking them for a second chance, and placed it back on their pedestal in the vault.

Taking a deep breath, Rainbow Dash turned around and flew towards Twilight’s bedroom; she has a friend to apologize to, after all. She zoomed past guards and servants through the halls, ignoring their shouts of protests, but she didn’t care; they could all go to Tartarus for all she cared. Skidding to a stop in front of Twilight’s bedroom, she took a deep breath and knocked on the door before pushing it open.

“Hey, Twilight? You in here?” Rainbow asked softly as she pushed the door further open and walked in. She was disappointed that she didn’t find the lavender unicorn, but surprised that instead she’d found a sobbing purple dragon. “Spike? Is that you?” she asked.

“Huh?” Spike turns around and sees a concerned looking rainbow-mane pegasus. “Oh. Rainbow Dash, what are doing here?” he asks.

Rainbow sighed. “I came to apologize to Twilight for being such a disloyal idiot. You?”

*SNIFF* Same.” He says. “Guess that means that you don’t know where she is either, huh?” Rainbow slowly nodded her head, making Spike sigh. “You think any of the others know her whereabouts?”

At the mention of their other friends, the cyan mare scowled. “I really don’t feel like talking to them any time soon after what they’ve done.” She growled, and Spike couldn’t blame her.

Right after they had all left Twilight at the rehearsal, he could tell that Rainbow was not proud of it and left about five minutes afterwards. Spike had stayed with the others for just over half an hour after Rainbow had gone off, feeling guiltier by the minute, and saw no change in the behavior of the other mares. Realizing that they didn’t regret being so harsh to Twilight, he decided that he’d had enough and ran to Twilight’s room, but when she wasn’t there, he cried in the middle of the room until Rainbow Dash showed up.

They both tensed up when they heard a tapping sound coming from the window. Nighttime had already fallen so all they could see of the tapper was their silhouette, and it seemed like a large bird.

“What do you think a bird is doing here?” Spike asked.

“I don’t know, maybe it thinks this is Fluttershy’s room.” Rainbow guessed as she walked towards the window. Just as she opened the panel, a bright golden glow filled the room with light and the bird flew in, perching onto a closet. Rainbow wanted to give the pesky featherbrain a piece of her mind, but she and Spike were too shocked at what they were seeing to do anything.

It looked like some breed of eagle that seemed to be slightly larger than an adult phoenix, but its most eye-catching feature was that it had two heads, eyes of a solid golden glow and the left head was missing its right eye. The strange bird then flew down from its perch and into the hallway.

“Hay! Wait up!” Spike called out as he and Rainbow Dash regained their senses.

“Hold on tight.” Rainbow said as she used her left fore hoof to place Spike on her back. Seeing where this was going, the baby dragon did as he was told and prepared for a high-speed chase. And one second later, they were off.

Rainbow Dash flew down corridor after corridor, passing and startling many servants and guards as she gave chase to the two-headed eagle. But that was proving difficult as whenever it would round a corner, by the time the cyan pegasus and purple dragon caught up it would be at the other side of the hallway. They noticed that there’s a flash of golden light right after the eagle makes a turn, so Spike theorized that it was somehow teleporting.

Soon they found themselves heading straight for the throne room, Dash mentally hoping that Celestia was elsewhere; otherwise this would be awkward. They were just within reach of the large bird when its left head turned to look back at them and it was… smirking? Suddenly, its body was enveloped in similarly golden aura, just before it teleported in a flash of light… too close to the doors for Rainbow to stop.

“Horseapples!” she managed to scream as they rammed open the doors and tumbled head over heels across the marble floor, stopping when they struck the base of the throne.

“…Ow.” Rainbow and Spike moaned as they regained their senses and stood back up on shaky legs. “Okay, from now on I’m going to assume that all two-headed birds can use magic.” Spike mumbled under his breath, earning an unfamiliar sounding chuckle.

“Well now, I haven’t had that much fun in millennia, since I discovered my true nature.” An unknown voice, male by the sounds of it, mused from the direction of the throne. Looking up, the cyan pegasus and purple dragon were slightly confused to see the eagle they were chasing. “Oh how it must feel to be young.” It said.

“Wait, you’re able to teleport and you can talk?” Rainbow accused the large bird.

He chuckled again. “I can do far more than simply teleport down halls, Loyalty.” Rainbow was taken aback when he called her by her Element. “But now is not the time, your friend is in great need of you.”

“What? Twilight’s in trouble?” Spike asked in a panic. The talking eagle nodded both heads and continued.

“She has used an enchanted mirror hidden behind this throne to arrive on Terra, my home world, where I intend to soon reveal myself and unite it through conquest.”

“Why would Twilight be in danger in a place where you’re in charge if you’re so worried about her?” Rainbow Dash asked. Immediately after those words left her mouth, she face hoofed as her words could be misinterpreted as rude.

“It’s because I have yet to rule it, and it is more dangerous than you know.” He said. At their confused expressions, he elaborated. “Terra is divided by many warring ‘Techno-Barbarian nation-states’, and great levels of violence, bloodshed, misery and death are all too common for both them and the citizens of Terra who struggle to live out another day. Magic attempted to make contact with some that were near, but they would have killed or defiled her if I hadn’t slain them myself.” The two-headed eagle explained, painting a horrid picture in Rainbow and Spike’s minds before he flew off the throne and hovered in front of the door that was behind it.

The two Equestrians followed him through the door and down the torch-lit corridor until they reached a circular room with a mirror bearing Twilight’s cutie mark, enveloped in golden magic, in the center.

“This mirror is the portal to Terra, and it’s taking a strenuous amount of my power to keep our worlds connected. I must warn you though: once we go through, it is almost certain you will never see this world again.” He warned.

Rainbow Dash and Spike shared a worried glance with each other, but quickly dismissed it and with a nod, stepped towards the mirror.

“We’re already at the point of no return, so why stop now?” Spike thought out loud with a shrug. The eagle smiled at the two Equestrians.

“Then let us be off.” And with that he flew into the mirror, causing the surface to ripple, closely followed by Rainbow and Spike. As they passed through, the golden glow that surrounded the mirror disappeared, and the time stream of Terra continued its course.

Author's Note:

While I know that a potentially dangerous artifact like mirror-portal wouldn't be so easily accessible, there were two issues I had with it that came in this order:
1. Couldn't think of anything for the security.
2. Couldn't be bothered.