• Published 30th Aug 2016
  • 297 Views, 0 Comments

A Tale of Two Brothers - Zonagon



The legend of the kingdom long before Equestria and of its two sovereign rulers.

  • ...
 0
 297

Prologue

Author's Note:

This here is a small taste for what is yet to come. If you enjoyed this story so far than please let me know, it'll convince me to continue this story.

A Tale of Two Brothers
~ Prologue ~

Long before the Age of Equestria, and of the two sisters who rule it, there once lived a kingdom whose name was lost to the ages after a terrible calamity befell it. Where all traces of this brilliant and gleaming kingdom was lost to the passages of time. We shall however start at the beginning of how this calamity came to be, with Disharmony, Meddling in Forbidden Magics, Unlikely Friendships, and Two Brothers.

Here in this collection of segregated villages of Earth Ponies, Pegasi, and Unicorns; where their disgruntled dependencies consist of contempt for one another, often creating more than several conflicts between the races of Ponykind. Their fragile unity held together only by their dependency on one another. This tragic situation would have continued on as an endless cycle of hatred and contempt were it not for the actions of like-minded villagers among the so-called segregated villages.

These wise ponies of separate races and backgrounds, looked out upon the Disharmony that has afflicted their homes. Tired Earth Pony Farmers with deep sadnesses woven in their eyes over their many years, disgraced Pegasi who are guilt-stricken over their past cruelties upon the ponies they once deemed as inferior, and fearful Unicorns that have seen the inevitable fate of all of the Pony Tribes should they continue upon this wheel of hatred they had made by their own hooves. They all looked amongst themselves and silently agreed over the current state of their home; they did not like it one little bit.

Though these ponies wanted change their home for the better, they did not know how. The Earth Ponies tried to make a gathering for all the ponies filled with lights and colors and fun, but the ponies kept to their separate groups, away from the ponies who looked different from them. The Pegasi tried to create a collection of sporting events for all athletic ponies to join and for those who were not to observe and cheer for their favorite group. However the ponies who joined the events only formed groups consisting of members of the same pony race and became highly hostile and aggressive to the other teams, few had come to sit and watch and those who did constantly jeered the teams that were not of the same race as them, and only the Unicorns wishing for peace had come to the events.

Finally the Unicorns went to their libraries and searched for some spell or incantation to force a more friendly union amongst the Pony Tribes. They carefully read through every spell book, every story book, and every other kind of book in search for the one spell they needed. Finally, after all hope was lost, when their determination had all but run out, and once many had given up their desperate search for the right spell, a tiny glimmer of hope illuminated a single unicorn as she read the oldest story book they unicorns had hidden away in their libraries. This mysterious, weathered, old book had described how ancient ponies would commune with the Heavens so it in its mysterious ways would answer the single wish that they all shared.

This book detailed where and how they could perform such a ritual to this young mare. Ecstatically, she showed all of her present peers the glimmer of hope she held in her hooves. Before then, the same ponies would have brushed off the stories that old book told as nothing more than myths; but as they were now and when all other options had failed, in one last ditch effort to mend the wounds inflicted upon their home, they gathered the other like-minded ponies from their home to embark on this journey to the temple that the book had told them of. After a long and arduous journey, the ponies had finally found their way to the ruins of the temple where the Heavens answered the single prayer of many.

Before they began the ritual, the ponies convened upon the single wish they wanted granted. They deemed that simply having the greatest gathering ponykind had ever seen wasn’t enough, for the Earth Ponies knew that even if you tried to bring together those who were bitter to each other, it simply on it’s own would not be enough to make them have fun with each other. The Pegasi also deemed that having all the ponies come together for the greatest sport events ponykind had ever seen was neither the right answer, for competing for who was the best amongst rivals would only fan the flames of their hatred.

The Unicorns had deemed that trying to force other ponies into friendly relations was the worst of any wish they could make, for after their long journey with their Earth Pony and Pegasi friends they remembered that their friendship was not forced, they had desired their companionship of their own volition and no pony else’s. That they knew was true friendship and that was the only way they could instill Harmony among their peers back home. All ponies present felt the same way, from every Earth Pony, Pegasi and Unicorn. Together they all agreed upon the one wish they would wish for. It was a simple wish too, it was vague and open to interpretation.

“Harmony.”

Together they all made their way to the top of the ruins to begin their ritual, however when they reached the top, they were met with a startling surprise. Their wish had already been granted, and it was in the form of two young foals. The ponies gathered around the two with curiosity and disbelief in their eyes. The first foal shimmered like gold and had a deep dark red mane and the the other was as pale as moonlight with a mane to match. The first had eyes that shimmered from the glow of a warm sun and the other had blue eyes that peered right through the souls of whoever gazed at them. The one thing that these two foals had in common however was the astonishing pair of wings and horns they possessed. The two looked up at the ponies who stared down at them in silence.

They giggled at their silly faces.