• Published 28th Aug 2016
  • 505 Views, 5 Comments

The Ships Colt - Paintbrush235



The adventures of young ships colt Pipsqueak aboard the Equestrian Frigate Harmony

  • ...
 5
 505

A Small Little Coastal Town with Little Colts with Big Dreams (Revised)

Nestled in between the cities of Manehatten and Fillydelphia along the eastern coast of Equestria that lead to the great Celestial Sea was the large fishing town of Trottingham. The town's population of 1500 ponies had a concrete connection with the sea both in culture and in their economy. Almost everypony in the town knew at least two sailor songs by memory and nearly every young adult pony was employed in some sort of seafaring trade from whaling to freight. The harbor of the town was packed with vessels of all classes and sizes from schooners to brigs to clippers which covered the sky with their dozens of masts. The docks were always packed with sailors going about their various tasks of unloading cargo from the mailing packets of the East Equestrian Trading Company that brought essential supplies into the coastal town. Everypony in the town was engaged in some sort of task of import to the town with everypony where they should be. Well almost everypony.

Among the ships now at anchor in the harbor, was one of the many ships that made up the Royal Equestrian Navy's fleet. The black and white vessel was considered by many to be the flagship of her class, and he was indeed the flagship of the Navy's West Griffonian Squadron. She was the 54-gun fifth rate frigate, E.S.S. Harmony. Built right in the slipways of the Trottingham Naval Yard, the sturdy vessel had become a symbol of pride and joy for the citizens of the seaside town, especially of those who had a hand in building her. Strong and fast, she was the epitome of innovative ship design, especially in frigates, that had come about in the Age of Enlightenment that was the result of the return of Princess Celestia's sister Princess Luna. Princess Luna had begun advocating for advancement in the study of all things scientific, and had applied that drive for innovation towards an expansion of the navy. She had always been the head of such affairs before her banishment, as was evident by the decrease in the navy that came with Celestia's solo rule. Now with the Princess of the Night's return, the navy grew larger and more advanced. Harmony and her sisters were the result.

Now she had returned to Trottingham in order to refit and resupply for her next voyage across the Celestial Sea. Many of her crew were being discharged and recruiters had been sent out to find anypony who was willing put their name on the roster. The ship was also looking for new officers, as positions had begun to open up with promotions and retirements leaving openings in the lower ranks. For this the officers of the Harmony went to the local Admiralty Board, which was a part of the Naval Yard. Their the board reviewed potential candidates who would be given the privilege of learning under the personal instructions of some of the Navy's brightest and most legendary Captains. Most of the candidates were from well to do families, who already had deep ties within the navy, mainly relatives who had or were currently serving who could vouch for the character and fortitude of their kin. Though there were also others who came from the humblest of origins whom the Navy recognized as having the intellect and wherewithal to rise to greatness through the ranks.

One such candidate was now standing at the dock, waiting for a shore boat to arrive at the pier and take hime to his new home on the Harmony. Fourteen year old colt Pipsqueak was nearly shaking in his new boots with excitement.

Author's Note:

Rewrite: So here is the first chapter of my rewrite. Hope you all still enjoy it!

The Harmony is still representing the USS Cumberland.

Comments ( 5 )

There need to be more stories like this.

Why was this cancelled?

8830914
It's on hiatus. I lost current interest and time. Maybe will pick it up again in the future.

Taking this off hiatus and will start work on it again. Might do some revisions first though. Had some new inspiration for the story and gotten some new information.

8830914
I have started to write the next chapter.

Login or register to comment