• Published 24th Aug 2016
  • 4,085 Views, 129 Comments

All Apologies - Gpizano



On the way to Manehattan for a gig, Sunset Shimmer and the Pony Breakers find themselves swept up in the dangerous going ons surrounding the Friendship Games.

  • ...
15
 129
 4,085

I Don't Have The Right

The morning they left they took two separate vehicles. One being the family mini-van that Tino had borrowed from his father that Sunset Shimmer, Jackie and Sandy were riding in and the second being a moving van that Poppy had rented with Bobby as her passenger. Although not exactly looking forward to stopping at Canterlot (outside of seeing Princess Twilight Sparkle of course), she was excited to go to Manehattan. It had been so long since she'd last seen the city and she was interested in seeing how the human version was different from the pony version.

A long car ride with Jackie and Tino went more or less as she expected though. Despite Sandy taking the front passenger's seat to curb their antics, they still bantered back and forth. Especially when it came to what music to play in the car. While Tino did enjoy the rock bands of the nineties, he very much enjoyed modern pop music and alternative. While Jackie's objections had been kept to grumblings for some of the music, she looked ready to throw a fit whenever Tino put on Neighcki Minaj, Ed Haayran or anything in the same vein, either claiming it was just terrible, non-creative noise, too touchy feely, or, her personal favorite, not enough epic guitar riffs. Sunset almost broke a rib containing her laughter when Sandy suggested that the Red Hot Chili Peppers or Alice in Chains had written touchy feely songs. Seeing such an outraged look on Jackie's face was priceless!

After a stop over where they all shared a room at a road side motel, they were up early enough the next morning that they made it to Canterlot by late afternoon. As they approached the edges of the city, Sunset Shimmer could already feel a tightening in her stomach. She had never thought she would come back here and knowing what lurked within the city... ugh, why did they have to make a stop over here?

"Hey, you gonna be okay Sunshine?"

Glancing over at Jackie, Sunset gave a small smile and a quick nod.

"Yeah... I will be."

"Still, how about I go with you to meet that friend of yours? We can leave it to the guys to make it to the hotel and unpack."

Although hesitant, Sunset agreed once Tino and Sandy assured her that it would be fine if Jackie went along with her. After getting directions to the hotel they would be staying at, she gave Tino directions to the school, stepping out onto the curb with Jackie before watching the mini-van drive off.

"So... seems like a nice school."

Although it was a nice effort to break the ice, Sunset Shimmer wasn't sure if she was up for small talk. Just looking at the school dredged up all sorts of memories for her. There were good ones but at the forefront were the bad. The last time she had been in this school, outside of fetching her things from her locker so that she could leave the city, she had been surrounded by a crowd of angry students, all saying very horrible things to her. Needing to take a moment, Sunset took a deep breath before she began to head for the statue and go around it to the other side where the portal was, not noticing that a person with their hoodie up and covering their face was jay walking across the streets, following them.

"Yeah... it was. Although those are new."

When she had an unobstructed view of the front entrance, she almost immediately noticed the metal bars placed over the inside of the glass doors. Whenever she had spoke with Celestia about how things were going, the woman hadn't told her much, just that things had changed. No shit!

"Ugh, I haven't seen that crap since I went to high school. The asshole dictator that had been in charge at the time had them up, saying it was for 'our own good'. I mean yeah you can keep people out, but that's extreme to keep kids from ditching or whatever."

As Sunset looked over the rest of the building, she saw more bars on the first floor windows, the sight of which was making Sunset feel more and more disturbed. Just how much had the school changed in just three months?

... no. No, this wasn't her concern anymore. She was done with Canterlot High School and it's students. Sunset turned away from the school and looked back to the statue, waiting patiently for Twilight Sparkle to step through.

"So uh... how's this work exactly? Could I just stick my hand through?"

"Well, more or less, yeah. She's found a way to keep it open whenever she likes. See?"

Reaching out, she placed her hand to the smooth surface of the statue's base, marble starting to ripple and glow as her hand slowly began to sank in. Jackie was in awe as she watched and the sight made Sunset Shimmer smile softly. Up until something felt off. Her gaze snapped back to the statue as the surface of it seemed to warp, The white light turning red and seeming to disappear into the statue itself!

"What the-?! LET GO!"

Pulling on her hand, it seemed stuck like glue to the statue and even Jackie's help couldn't make it budge! Then the light stopped, the two young women sent falling back from their own force with Sunset landing on top of Jackie. Rubbing her head, Sunset looked up and saw someone in a pair of jeans and a grey hoodie that concealed their identity. The person panicked, picking up a purple pendant from the ground and taking off down the sidewalk.

"Who in the world?"

Getting up off of Jackie, Sunset Shimmer helped the guitarist up before turning back to the statue, placing a hand on the base as a test. When nothing happened Sunset placed her other hand on it, eyes widening as major alarm bells went off in her head.

"The portal... it's not open anymore!"

It had been working fine until a second ago! Had that mysterious person done something to it!?

"Jackie! We need to try and catch that person that just ran off!"

"But Sunshine-!"

"NOW!"

Already taking off before Jackie could protest further, the blue haired woman let out a frustrated groan before chasing after her roommate. They seemed to run on aimlessly, Sunset thinking she just saw the mystery person round a corner but finding nothing when she and Jackie turned onto the new block. Eventually they had run all the way to the same park where Jackie and Sunset had a cheap meal after Jackie had driven Gilda off, both girls panting, sweaty, and moving over to the nearest bench to take a seat.

"I... I tried to tell you Sunshine... whoever they were... had a head start."

"I... know. But... I had to try. If they... were responsible for closing the portal then..."

Just what did that mean? Sunset Shimmer didn't have time to think over the implications in her panic. It had almost felt like the magic of the portal was being ripped away from her. If that person somehow had the ability to block magic or take it away, then who knew what else they could do? Did they even have any idea what they were dealing with?

"Look... we did your thing. Can we go see my friend Treehugger at least? I told her I'd swing by..."

"Do I have to come along?"

"I'm not leaving you alone around here. It'll take Tino or Poppy some time to find this place and you could get jumped."

"I can take care of myself."

"I'm sure you could. But I'm not willing to gamble on your safety."

Standing up from the bench, Jackie motioned for Sunset to follow her and eventually the high schooler did as directed. While she had never really interacted with Treehugger much outside of the one time Fluttershy had introduced them, she still wasn't keen on seeing old classmates. As peace loving as she claimed to be, when her secrets were spilled with all the others, she became as cold and as antagonistic as any of the others.

Yet she still followed Jackie all the way to where Treehugger lived in an apartment on the fourth floor with her mother. The guitarist would knock a couple of times and they would be left to wait, Sunset's attention wandering as she hoped they wouldn't stick around for long.

When the door finally opened, the green skinned girl with dreadlocks had seen fit to answer the door clad only in a pair of sweat pants and a sports bra. What surprised Jackie was that the others eyes were only slightly red, meaning Treehugger was high but only a little.

"Hey T! Sorry I'm late, kinda got caught up in something."

"Jackie? Oh man! Were you coming by today? Man, I forgot... um. Could you come back later? Mom's out so it's not a good time..."

"Wait, why not? Seems like the perfect time since you've been lighting up!"

"Well, y'see... wait. Whoa, is that... Sunset Shimmer?"

Not wanting to have been seen, Sunset grimaced and glanced over to Treehugger. The girl's eyes were as wide as could be, in shock and... guilt? Sunset wasn't given much time to study Treehugger since a voice came from the apartment that gave her quite a shock of her own.

"S-Sunset Sh-Shimmer?"

Appearing behind Treehugger was a certain familiar pink haired girl with yellow toned skin, wearing a long, oversized t-shirt that came down to about mid-thigh... AND NOTHING ELSE.

"F-FLUTTERSHY?"

Having been about ready to tease Treehugger about having 'company', Jackie was initially confused by how gobsmacked Sunset Shimmer was until she identified the mystery girl. The mystery girl who was apparently one of Sunset Shimmer's ex-friends. Who was apparently hooking up with her friend Treehugger.

"..... WHAT????"

Author's Note:

Ugh, three dislikes already. It's the OCs isn't it? XD

And I give credit to diablo4000 for putting it in my head to have Fluttershy and Treehugger hook up.

STAY TUNED FOR THE NEXT EXCITING CHAPTER!