• Published 25th Jun 2012
  • 32,720 Views, 1,897 Comments

Veil of Thoughts - Starwin



After an accident Twilight and Rainbow awake to find themselves sharing the same body!

  • ...
84
 1,897
 32,720

Chapter 13

Veil of Thoughts
By Starwin

Chapter 13


The bright white light was everywhere. It was all around Twilight, inside her, in her eyes and in her mind. It was like no light she had ever felt. Yet, she knew this light. This was the light of magic, of true pure magic. This was the light of life. It was the light that flowed through every living being. It was the light of existence.

It did not frighten Twilight as she walked through it. It felt safe and warm and like everything she loved.

She did not know where she was going. Everything was the same, filled only with the white light. She could see nothing but the light, which had neither sky nor ground. But still she knew she was going the right way, that there was only one way to go in a place that had no direction.

Twilight became aware that she was not alone in the light. Another pony, a mare, trotted past her, not even giving Twilight a glance. Her hoof falls were silent, causing Twilight to wonder if the other pony was even there at all. Before Twilight could give it any further thought the mare vanished into the light. She had been a white spark on a white background.

As Twilight continued, she began to realize that there were many other ponies around her. She hadn’t been able to see them, like her eyes needed to adjust to the light, or maybe it was her mind that had to adjust, she couldn’t tell. Like the first mare she had seen they were silent, as if they glided along the ground rather than walked.

There were only a few at first, moving in an out of the light as if it were a dense fog. However, the longer she walked the more shapes she began to see moving in the light. Before she even realized it, Twilight found herself walking in a herd of a hundred other ponies.

She couldn’t make out the other ponies properly. They had pony shapes, but their faces and manes were nothing more than outlines against the light, as if they were drawings that hadn’t been filled in.

Twilight felt oddly safe with them, even if they did not speak to her, nor come any closer, nor told her their names, nor even look at her. Yet even still, she felt safe, like she belonged here, Twilight couldn’t explain it.

Her thoughts were dull and fuzzy, like the light was filling her mind with its empty white noise. It was a strange sensation, not to think. All her life she had done nothing but think and plan and study and think some more but not thinking, felt good.

She felt — no she knew — that she was part of something greater. She was connected to these other ponies in a way that she could never have connected with anypony else. It was a good feeling, it was a feeling like being loved by the very world itself. She didn’t understand it, and it didn’t matter that she didn’t understand.

Twilight could have kept on walking forever. Yet something halted her progress, something, that wasn’t light but sound. No, a voice. Impossibly distant and faint, yet there it was.

The voice whispered to her, just to her and nopony else. It had said her name.

Yet it hadn’t come from any of the ponies around her. She wasn’t even sure they could speak, or what they would sound like. And she knew that voice. It was familiar and its tone filled her with the same kind of warmth she felt from the light. For the life of her, she couldn’t picture who the voice belonged to.

Now there were several voices, all calling for her. She knew them all. Twilight stopped walking and the herd of outlined ponies parted at her back, flowing around her like she was a stone in a stream.

Twilight started to turn her head to look back.

“Don’t look back,” said one of the ponies made of light. Twilight was startled by the voice, she hadn’t expected any of the ponies to be able to speak. It was a colt who had stopped beside her. She couldn’t make out his featureless face, nor his cutie mark, just his outline. “That way, that place, is no longer for you.”

“I know,” said Twilight, turning her head away. “I just thought I heard something.” The colt nodded but didn’t move, his blank face stared at her.

“You’re different,” said the colt. As he said it, a few other ponies behind him stopped to look at Twilight too. She suddenly felt uncomfortable. The warm, safe, feeling she had was starting to slip away. Thoughts were trying to force their way back into her. “You look… different.”

“Do I?” asked Twilight. “I can’t really see myself, so I don’t know.”

“You can’t?” asked a mare from Twilight’s opposite side. Twilight turned to look at her. There was not one, or two, or even three ponies stopped on her other side, but nearly twenty of them. The whole flow of the herd was gathering around her.

“Uh, no,” said Twilight. “I think you should all keep moving, I’m nothing special to look at.” She felt her cheeks starting to flush. All this attention was embarrassing her.

“What’s happening to your face?” asked another colt. A wave of whispers rippled through the crowd. Twilight put a hoof to her face in embarrassment, only causing her to blush deeper.

“What is that on your head?” asked one of the ponies from the crowd. Reflexively, Twilight lifted a hoof to her head and touched her horn. She suddenly realized that not a single pony gathered around her was a unicorn… nor were they pegasus. They were all just indistinct outlines.

“You have a cutie mark!” cried a filly, lifting a hoof to point at Twilight’s flank.

Twilight glanced to where the filly was pointing and went wide eyed at her cutie mark. Five white stars shimmered like they were real stars, but the large one in the center – that should have been purple – was a dull gray, like its color had been washed away

“You… don’t belong here,” said the colt that had first spoken to her. Soft murmurs of agreement echoed from the other ponies. The strange calm was unraveling all around her. The feeling of being loved was gone.

“Ye… yes I do,” stammered Twilight. How could she possibly not belong? After all she had been through they would deny her! Twilight made to move forward but found that there was no path. Hundreds of glowing light ponies blocked her way and would not move aside.

“You don’t belong here,” said several of the ponies in unison. Twilight tried to take a few steps back but she couldn’t, her hooves simply wouldn’t move that way. The ponies closed on her, the small circle of space between them shrinking. “This place is not for you.” They closed again.

Unable to go forward, unable to go back, Twilight did the only thing she could think of. She ran sideways. This path was not blocked, nor did the light ponies attempt to stop her. She galloped as hard as she could, not glancing back.

Twilight wasn’t sure how long it took but at last the number of ponies around her thinned. The further away she got the less outlines there were, until, at last, she was alone again in the world of white.

Twilight came to stop and listened for the voices that had called her name, for the voice that had started this whole mess but she couldn’t hear them.

It was odd, before the voices, she’d had no concept of direction. She had simply been walking. Not forwards or back, just walking. Now, however, everything had a definite direction. Everything was still white and featureless, every direction still looked the same. Except now she could tell which way was forward and which way was back.

Experimentally, she tried to take a step back and found that she simply couldn’t. Her legs would not move in that direction. She tried taking a step forward and found it was easy. Side to side worked too, although it was a little more difficult to do.

Twilight looked forward again. She didn’t really want to go that way anymore, with the warm feeling of love gone, that direction almost felt cold. Nor did she want to encounter the light ponies again, she didn’t want them to see that she was different.

For a long moment, she stood there, trying to decide what she should do.

She heard her name called for a third time. This voice, like her, was different from the others. It was softer, warmer and gentler. The voice also had an odd quality that Twilight couldn’t put into words; it felt like reading a good book, there was no other way for her to comprehend it. And it was coming from the direction she had been galloping, the sideways direction.

Twilight continued sideways, not knowing where she was going, or what she would find.


Dash could feel all of her friends holding her tightly. If they were screaming, she could not hear them. They were plummeting through the darkness, rapidly approaching the barrier that separated life and death, the place where Dash had felt Twilight push her back into life.

All around them was a spinning vortex of rainbow colors that flared out from Dash’s horn, similar to the cone that formed whenever she preformed the sonic rainboom. It was meant to protect them, meant to keep them alive as they crossed over into death. In truth, Dash had no idea what it would actually do. Only one pony had ever dared to use this spell before and it was in his hoof that the words of caution were written in The Mysteries of Magic. Dash could remember the passage.

I gazed out upon the vast darkness and knew that I had reached the place that was forbidden to the living. It is the space between worlds where none but the most foolhardy would willingly venture into. Beyond it is the vast nothing and beyond that is death itself. There are no answers there. There are no loved ones to bring back. There are only those who are at peace and we have neither right nor power to tamper with them.

Star Swirl the Bearded, possibly the greatest unicorn wizard that had ever lived, had written that when he had returned from Death. He had sought to return a loved one, to go beyond the veil of life and take from the other side. It was said that when he returned empty hoofed he debated for a month if he should destroy the spell or not.

In the end, it remained. As with all magic, once it was discovered it could not be lost. Somepony would inevitably stumble upon it again but without his words of caution to guide them against its use.

Words of caution that Dash had ignored.

Dash could see the nothing now, or rather the absence of darkness. She gritted her teeth knowing the cold was about to come. However, it did not. They slammed into the nothing and stopped. The nothing stretched and bent like a taught sheet. For one terrible moment, Dash thought they would be flung back into life.

However, the rainbow vortex began to spin faster around them. It was almost like a drill, forcing its way through into the nothing. They sank into it and Dash had to close her eyes. Staring at the nothing was very unpleasant, like her eyes weren’t meant to see it.

She could feel the resistance slacken and finally break and they were racing forward again.

Dash let her eyes open once more. It was no longer the nothing around them but a crystal blue sky filled with countless silver clouds! It was possibly the most beautiful thing Dash had ever seen. She wanted to look at them all, each was unique, each was special, but she kept herself focused. Twilight, they were here for Twilight.

“TWILIGHT!” shouted Dash as loudly as she could. She had no idea if her friend would have any chance of hearing her but… more shouts, her friends, they were shouting Twilight’s name too. Dash couldn’t help but smile.

She hadn’t intended to bring them along. They had foalishly jumped into the gateway as she was casting the spell. Only Spike had been too cautious to join them knowing that it was dangerous to leap into magic one didn’t understand. However, that hadn’t stopped her four friends.

They were moving very fast now. Clouds were racing past in blurred streaks. Above them, a lightning bolt shot through the sky, its jagged shape twisted and turned towards its destination.

Dash wasn’t sure but she thought the clouds might be… angry at them. She didn’t know why she thought that. But she didn’t want to linger here and find out.

The rainbow vortex was carrying them towards a grouping of six clouds. The other clouds were moving away from the gathering, as if they were afraid of the approaching ponies. Dash focused in on the group.

The six clouds began to change. Her eyes widened as she saw them. They weren’t clouds, they were cutie marks! And she could make out her cutie mark, represented in the six clouds! No. Not just her cutie mark but her friends as well. The five symbols all surrounded a giant dull gray star. Twilight’s cutie mark.

Dash pushed her hooves out in front of her, their speed increased.

“We’re coming Twilight,” said Dash. “Just hold on a little longer.”


The light around Twilight began to dim, although it did not fade. Her hooves clopped against something not made of light but made of stone. Glancing down, Twilight found cobblestones beneath her hooves. It was intricate stonework that had taken both time and craftsponyship. She knew these stones, knew this street. She was in Canterlot.

As she realized where she was the rest of the city seemed to form out of the light, building itself around her. Although, not all of it came into existence. Much of the city was still bathed in hazy white light, only partially finished. It was as if the towers were rising out of the light.

Like the ponies before it, this Canterlot was just outlines, simple shapes that had only one color, white. While a few buildings had signs, they were blank. It was Canterlot and yet, it was not. Her pace unchanged, Twilight continued to walk in the same direction she had been traveling while the world drew itself into existence around her.

At last the path ended in a sort of balcony. Twilight knew this place, she had come here many times to think, both when she had lived in Canterlot and after she had moved to Ponyville.

This spot looked out over Equestria. From here she could see much of the distant southern land. When she had lived in Canterlot, she had never really seen Ponyville as anything but a simple little town. To her, it had been nothing more than just another part of the landscape.

Yet, after she had moved to Ponyville, and made it her new home, whenever she came to Canterlot to visit, she would inevitably find herself at this spot, looking longingly down at the cozy town below. How strange it was to think of all the times she had come here and never really noticed it before.

Twilight looked over the balcony, there was no Ponyville below just more of the soft white light.

“A bit for your thoughts, Twilight?” asked a kind voice from beside her. Shocked and surprised, Twilight turned from the overlook. Standing along side her, just as tall as Twilight remembered, with the same kind smile she always had on her face, was Princess Celestia.

Completely forgetting herself, Twilight jumped up and hugged the Princess, only remembering a moment later how improper the gesture was. However, before Twilight could pull away, she felt the Princess’s foreleg wrap around her, returning the embrace.

“Princess!” cried Twilight, overjoyed and afraid at the same time. “What… how?”

“Is it really so strange to find me here?” asked Celestia.

“Yes, actually,” muttered Twilight. She looked away, slightly ashamed of herself.

“No my little pony, there is nothing for you to be sad about,” said Celestia, using her hoof to gently turn Twilight’s face back to her.

“But I don’t understand,” said Twilight. “I know what happened to me, I know what I did! You know what I did! Aren’t you… disappointed in me?”

“Twilight, I will never be disappointed in you,” said Celestia. “Not when you work so hard and give so much.” Twilight hugged her mentor again, tears of joy and sadness starting down her face. “I am only sad that you have come to this place so soon.”

“Where am I anyhow?” asked Twilight, pulling back from the embrace but not letting go of the princess, afraid the other pony would vanish if she did.

“You are where you need to be,” said Celestia with a smile. Twilight frowned.

“No, I mean what is this place?” asked Twilight, rephrasing her question and hoping for a better answer.

“It is what you need it to be,” replied Celestia. Twilight rolled her eyes in frustration.

“Why does it look like Canterlot? Why am I here, why are there no other ponies here except us!” cried Twilight, finally letting go of Celestia in frustration. She was about to take a few steps back, but couldn’t, so she stepped to the side instead.

Twilight felt her eyes widen in confusion. Celestia only solidly existed from the neck up. Just like the towers of the city and the ponies she had walked with in the herd, Celestia’s body and wings were only a fuzzy white outline of light. It was as if she were made from parts of the sun.

“What…” was all Twilight could manage to say. She gaped for a long moment before finally recovering herself. “What are you?” asked Twilight at last.

“That was quite a few questions,” said Celestia thoughtfully. “Let’s see. Well, this place looks like Canterlot because that is what you expect it to look like. You already know the reason you are here, you made the choice to be. And we are not the only ponies in this place. You, are the only pony in this place.

“As to what I am, the answer itself is not difficult, although it may not be possible for you to comprehend.”

“Try me,” said Twilight flatly.

“Very well,” answered Celestia with a nod. “I am the Celestia that exists within you. The part that is both how I actually am and how you want me to be. I am not a memory, nor a dream. I am the Celestia that exists within all ponies, in magic that flows through unicorns, lifts pegasus into the sky and tends to the earth ponies on the ground. I am the Celestia that shines down from the sun that you feel on your coat and see in your eyes.”

Twilight stared at Celestia, trying to comprehend. The tall white glowing princess smiled gently down at Twilight.

“As I said, it was unlikely that you would understand,” said Celestia. “However it is not important that you understand. Not all things need to be understood. What is important is that you accept.”

“That I accept you’re some glowing, not-memory, sun… thingy?” asked Twilight, her brow furling in frustration. “And that everything here is crazy?”

“No,” replied Celestia. She took a step back and her whole form became even more fuzzy. "There is something you must accept about yourself..."

“Wait!” shouted Twilight. She charged forward, trying to grab Celestia but her hoof passed through the light and her mentor was gone. “What do I have to accept! Please! Come back! Tell me!”

However, there was no answer and Twilight found herself all alone at the balcony’s edge. Her eyes glanced over the balcony once more, hoping to catch a glimpse of Ponyville below but still there was nothing except the light.

Twilight looked down sadly. What was she supposed to do now? She didn’t belong here, but she couldn’t go back. There were no ponies here with her, no Celestia. She was all alone. She missed her friends.

Twilight noticed something odd about the ground. It wasn’t white anymore, it flickered with colors. The stones that had been washed out white, were turning gray, just as they were in Canterlot.

A roar and a crack like thunder was the only warning that Twilight had. She was able to glance skyward just in time to see a rainbow vortex racing down out of the sky. She was just quick enough to move sideways and avoid a collision.

The vortex slammed into the ground in front of her in an explosion of rainbow light. She held a hoof up to shield her eyes from it. Being so long in the world of white the bright vibrant colors of the rainbow-thing was almost too much for her.

When at last she could look at it, Twilight discovered that the thing which nearly crushed her appeared to be some kind of giant pillar of rainbow light. It was turning slowly and Twilight could see through the semi-transparent sides. There was something inside it.

“Oh, come on! I ended up on the bottom again?” cried a voice that Twilight knew. It was the first voice that had called out to her. The voice she knew the best. “Twilight!” cried the voice.

Quickly, Twilight tumbled back, feeling a sudden panic in her chest. She scooted along the ground until her back collided with the solid wall of the balcony. Her eyes widened as she realized whose voice it was.

“Dash?” asked Twilight meekly.

“Not just Dash,” said a second voice.

“Applejack?” whispered Twilight, her heart tearing at her chest.

“Yep! We’re all here!” cried Pinkie Pie, bouncing on the pile of her friends.

“Hey, come on, get off me!” protested Dash.

“No!” said Twilight shaking her head. “No! Please no! Not all of you, you can’t all be… dead…”

“What? No!” exclaimed Dash. With a forceful push she finally managed to free herself from the pony pile. Twilight felt her eyes widen seeing Dash in the shared body. “We just came to get you.” Dash held out a hoof towards Twilight but she did not move to take it.

“What are you guys doing here!” cried Twilight. “You can’t be here, this isn’t possible you… wait… you didn’t! You couldn’t have! Don’t tell me you used magic to bring you here!”

Twilight’s eyes moved over the sight before her. Five of her friends were standing inside the pillar of rainbow colored light. The colors reached all the way up into the white sky as if they were attached to something incredibly distant, as if it were a bridge back to life. The ground below their hooves wasn’t cobblestone either, it was wood. Wood that she was fairly sure had come from her library. Where the edge of the pillar of rainbows ended, the ground returned to the soft white glowing stone.

“Yeah… I kind of, maybe used a forbidden spell,” said Dash with an uncomfortable smile. She rubbed the back of her neck in an embarrassed sort of way.

“Star Swirl expressly said that magic should never be used!” Twilight began to lecture. “He said we shouldn’t tamper with death! That we can’t! He said…”

“Yeah, I know what he said,” interrupted Dash. “And you can tell me all about it later.” Dash held out a hoof towards Twilight, although they were a dozen hooves apart. Dash did not leave the pillar of light. “Now come on, let’s get you out of here!”

“No,” said Twilight looking away. “I’m sorry you came here. I didn’t want you to have to go through this. But I can’t go with you. There are some things that even magic can’t do… that it shouldn’t do.”

“Horseapples to that!” shouted Applejack. “We didn’t come all this way for nothing!”

“Yes you did,” whispered Twilight. The rainbow pillar flickered and shrunk a little. As it did the wooden ground that was outside the pillar evaporated away. “Please, just… go.”

There was the clop of hoof on stone, a hiss like steam and Twilight felt something slap her across the face. She put a hoof to her cheek in confusion. Standing over her, tears falling from her eyes, was Dash. She had… she had slapped her!

“Idiot,” cried Dash. “You selfish, foalish, idiot.” Silver steam was bellowing off Dash’s body, parts of her were evaporating away just like the ground had. Beneath, her body was made of light.

“Dash! Get back here!” shouted Applejack.

“Dash please!” pleaded Fluttershy. Rarity and Pinkie were holding the yellow pegasus back, keeping her from running out to Dash.

“You think this is just about you,” whispered Dash, ignoring her friends cries of protest. “Did you even stop to think about your friends and what you were doing to them?”

“Of course!” said Twilight. “I did this for you!”

“I didn’t ask you to!” shouted Dash. “I didn’t want you too! It’s so easy for you to give up when it’s the rest of us that have to deal with the consequences.” Almost all of Dash’s lavender coat had burned away to white. Her wings were starting to hiss now as well. Like not-Celestia had been, Dash was only solid from the neck up.

“Dash, you have to get back in the pillar!” shouted Rarity. “Your body is almost gone!”

“Please Dash…” begged Twilight. “Please go back.”

“No,” said Dash seriously. “Our friends might have picked between us, but I won’t. Either we both stay here or we both live.”

“I can’t force that kind of existence on you,” said Twilight. Dash tried to interrupt but Twilight pressed on. “I had no right to do what I did. I just wanted to… to… save you. I couldn’t let you go, not like that, not so soon!” Again Dash tried to say something, but Twilight wouldn’t let her. “I wanted to put you back the way you were, I really did, but I couldn’t, I’m sorry, I’m…”

“Twilight!” Dash shouted at last, startling the rambling unicorn. “Would you just shut up for a second?” Twilight closed her mouth. “In all this you never stopped to ask me how I felt…”

“You hate me,” whispered Twilight. “You…” Dash lifted her hoof and pressed it over Twilight’s mouth.

“Have you ever stopped to consider that maybe I don’t blame you at all!” said Dash. Twilight’s eyes widened. “How could I possibly hate you?”

“Becawse as all my fawlt,” said Twilight her voice muffled behind Dash’s hoof. Dash rolled her eyes.

“Twilight, I don’t hate you,” said Dash. “And I don’t blame you. You just have to accept that!” Dash finally lowered her hoof from Twilight’s mouth. “Are you ready to come back with us now?”

“Come… back?” asked Twilight. “Do you really want that?”

“Of course we do!” exclaimed Pinkie. “How could we not want you back!”

“Pinkie is right dear, we all want you back!” said Rarity.

“But we can’t exist together,” said Twilight. “The spell is flawed. If I go back, this mess will just start all over again.”

“Maybe,” said Dash with a shrug. “Or maybe we were just flawed in how we handled it. Instead of trying to give the other what we thought they wanted, we should have asked what they needed. We should have been trying to exist in harmony with each other.” Dash put her hoof out once more.

Twilight nodded, taking Dash’s hoof and letting herself be pulled back up before embracing Dash in a hug.

“Hurry up!” shouted Fluttershy desperately. Dash and Twilight raced to the rainbow pillar. Dash slid through easily, the glow on her coat slowly fading back to lavender now that she was safely back inside. Twilight however collided with the rainbow wall, unable to pass through.

“What the hay?” asked Applejack. She put a hoof out through the wall before quickly pulling it back with a yelp like she had been burned.

Twilight pressed her hooves against the rainbow pillar, but she could not pass through.

“What’s wrong?” asked Rarity. “Why can’t she get through?”

“…we have neither right nor power to tamper with them,” whispered Twilight, taking her hooves off the pillar and placing them back on the ground. “Star Swirl was right. I’m sorry. I can’t go with you.”

“I do not give up on my friends!” exclaimed Dash, her hoof reached out through the rainbow wall to grab Twilight.

“We do not give up!” chimed in Applejack, her hoof also taking hold of Twilight.

“We want you back,” said Fluttershy, also grabbing on.

“We need you back,” said Rarity, adding her hoof to the pile.

“Because without you,” whispered Pinkie. “We would be lost. Also, I wouldn’t get my book back.”

As she touched Twilight all of five ponies’ cutie marks began to glow. Then the five shining stars on Twilight’s flank surged with energy, pouring their essence into the dull gray star at the center of her cutie mark. Slowly it began to change, its color returning. The effect was mirrored on Dash’s flank as well. On one side the cloud with the rainbow lightning bolt glowed fiercely, on the other, the dull gray star began to change back to purple.

“Pull!” shouted Pinkie. All of them pulled at Twilight. Her face slammed into the rainbow barrier and she bounced off. Her eyes tumbled in her head and her muzzle was screwed up in a dazed expression. “Oopsie! I guess we needed to wait just a little longer. My bad.”

The cutie mark on Twilight’s flank bloomed with energy as the purple star glowed with radiance.

“Pull!” Pinkie shouted again.

“Hey! Wait!” protested Twilight. But this time she was pulled through. All of them collapsed in a heap in the center of the pillar. The rainbow walls of the pillar began to spin, faster and faster.

“Alright!” shouted Pinkie. “Time to ride the rainbow!”

“Ride the whattttt-ahhhhhh!” screamed Twilight. With a jolt the vortex contracted and they were yanked roughly back into the sky.