• Published 18th Aug 2016
  • 10,532 Views, 2,513 Comments

Anchor Foal: A Romantic Cringe Comedy - Estee



Having realized that the duration of Discord's "reform" may exactly equal his only friend's lifespan, the palace sends Fleur to assist Fluttershy with acquiring a social life and guarantee a next generation to adore. (What could possibly go wrong?)

  • ...
36
 2,513
 10,532

PreviousChapters Next
Ponyville: ↓

The Solar air carriage dropped Fleur off in Ponyville. It took her about twenty seconds to get her bearings back from the abrupt swoop, plus twelve more for picking herself up out of the short-trimmed grass.

"You could have at least landed first!" she shouted after the fast-departing transport. But if the pegasi who had tilted her out some distance above the actual ground heard her, they showed no signs of it beyond flying a little faster. And after a few more seconds, they were gone.

Everything is gone.

Everything...

...no. Take a breath. Canterlot is gone. For now. This is -- Ponyville. Whatever that is. She didn't know much about it, other than that it was the home of the Bearers and was considered by most of the nobility to be more than a little rural, far too strange for anypony of refinement's taste, and mostly suitable for slumming -- and all that maintained even with the Bearers in residence. It had been enough to make her avoid even the most casual of contact with Canterlot's closest neighboring settled zone, especially when leaving the city would have meant missing out on so many chances to work.

It may not look like much...

She looked around.

What it mostly looked like was somepony's backyard.

There was a little vegetable garden off in one corner, no longer producing with autumn advancing across the calendar: browning vines told her that tomatoes had been the dominant crop. A long, low sling made out of tightly-meshed rope, hanging between metal triangles, suspended by springs -- well, the pillows gave her some idea of what that was supposed to be for, although it was a little more public than she both generally liked and could collect sufficient payment for. A light green picket fence (desperately in need of fresh paint) surrounded three sides of the square, broken up on the left by a currently-closed swinging gate. And behind her, the house (which could stand a few brushstrokes of its own): small, quiet, and with a rather odd sort of door leading to the interior, one which looked as if it slid to the side instead of --

-- the field which slid the door left was a rather odd, dark greyish-green. The unicorn mare who came through the opening was a strangely deep shade of blue, with some aspects of that same green speckled into her coat to go with singularly dark eyes. In the sunlight offered at about two hours past dawn, the colors stood out. Under Moon, when standing within exactly the right shadows, the young adult might just vanish.

Those dark eyes looked at her, and did not echo the smile that appeared on a jaw which was just a little more squarish than most mares ever displayed. And Fleur knew what the mare was, and that knowledge didn't come from her talent. Anypony with Fleur's background and continuing outlook on the world would have known the nature of this pony on sight, long before their gaze reached the mark.

"That's odd," the mare falsely smiled. "They were originally supposed to drop you off in front. I guess they thought this would give us a little more privacy. And I was expecting something more in the way of luggage..." She took another step forward. "Fleur Dis Lee, correct? I made sure I had the name right -- all of them, as it's rather unusual to encounter a pony using three. I'm Miranda Rights."

Fleur silently waited. She knew what the next words were going to be, at least for general information conveyed.

"I'm Ponyville's chief of police," the mare predictably went on, and that smile got wider. "We were told you'd be coming. We were all told you'd be coming. The entire department. We were all told about you in great detail, because the Princess isn't the sort of pony to leave anything out of a personally-delivered briefing concerning a new arrival. So -- welcome to Ponyville. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to make your stay more comfortable. Because I will be making sure you're settling in. Personally."

Fleur carefully measured the strength and duration of her inhalation, then gave equal monitoring and care to the reverse.

"So you're supposed to be my jailer," she evenly said. Give up no ground. Hold position. Never be the first to flinch. Meet them on equal terms, even when it's a lie, and maybe they'll decide you don't know what a bluff is supposed to be...

It had hardly ever worked, at the beginning. Her success rate had gone up considerably after she'd found her talent. But with this mare, who had been told about her -- nothing.

Chief Rights shrugged. "The settled zone is yours to roam, Fleur." (Who instantly loathed the officer all the more.) "Along with the fringe, because you'll have to get close to it if you want to reach Fluttershy's residence. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, you can trot into the Everfree any time you like, and maybe the next pony who goes in for any other reason will be able to bring your body out. Personally, I have more important things to do, especially with this settled zone. I'm just -- welcoming you. And letting you know that I'll make sure you're settling in."

The chief's breath was abrupt, sharp, and more cutting than the horn.

"Because I was told all about you," she continued. "And I'm going to trust the Princess' judgment on this: that you're the best pony for the job. For coaching Fluttershy in -- whatever it is you'll be coaching her in: she didn't really go into specifics on that. But I don't exactly like having you here, not when I know what you are."

Fleur didn't take a step back. Only the Princess could have made her do that, and an officer, even an angry one, didn't even come close.

"However," Chief Rights went on. "We both have our orders. Yours are to help Fluttershy, with whatever the issue happens to be. Mine are to make sure you settle in, with the benefit of everything I've been told about you -- and haven't told the rest of Ponyville about. Because the Princess gave us an order, one I hope I'll understand eventually, to let you settle in. That we should know what you are -- and the remainder of the settled zone would only be told every last detail if you started to demonstrate it. She wants you treated as just another new arrival in Ponyville, and we've had a lot of those since the Elements were found again. You'll stand out a bit more than most, with your looks. But having officers follow you around at all times would make you a little more distinctive within the herd than she wants. So you will be watched -- from a distance. When you don't know you're being watched at all. And if I find any signs that you're playing your little games, or even have a particularly strong suspicion... I can find you." A little nod towards the circlet. "Very easily. So do your job, Fleur. Because just being this close to you, knowing what you are, makes me really want to do mine."

Fleur did the only thing she could do. She took a step forward.

The other mare blinked. The smile vanished, and the shadow-lost tail twitched. And Fleur smiled, just about as prettily as she knew how.

"Thank you, officer," she smiled. "If I ever need somepony to make an empty threat for me, I'll know just who to ask."

The immediate response was an instinctive attempt to start a staring contest. To prove some form of dominance. But it was a pointless attempt, because Fleur instantly won simply through openly not considering her opponent worthy of a match.

As long as I'm not afraid of you, I win.

"And now if you'll excuse me," Fleur continued as she merrily turned away from the frustrated officer, then began to trot towards the fence's gate, "I have to go meet my client. I don't suppose you'd be willing to fulfill the only major requirement of your job and provide a new arrival with directions?"

And what emerged certainly could have been considered as telling her where to go. "Go buck yourself."

"Expertly," Fleur replied, not bothering to glance back. "And occasionally for a paying audience. I never have any problems performing my duties, unlike a certain pony I've very recently met. Now, I presume this lock is enchanted -- so would the mistress of the home mind letting me out? Or do I have to call the authorities and report an unlawful detainment?"

Hearing the sharp breath behind her was the first good thing to happen since her arrival -- and so naturally, it was temporary. "The other thing I was supposed to do was offer you my spare bedroom. I'm guessing you won't be taking me up on that."

There was a certain temptation to it, if only for the opportunities offered by the chance to directly disrupt what little existed of any officer's downtime. But it also meant spending her own off-hours right under that unfashionable snout, which automatically created a situation where the versa so easily became vice -- and fraud, bunko, major crimes unit... "The gate, officer. If you would? Or rather, as you must?"

Greenish-gray surrounded the lock. It clicked, and the gate slowly swung upon. Fleur began to trot through.

"I'm watching you," the officer impotently said.

"Most ponies do," Fleur smugly noted. "Enjoy the free view, officer. You can't afford anything else." And kicked the gate shut behind her, making sure to leave a little gouge in the wood.

Fleur had been given a considerable amount of advice early in life, and most of it had... well, in all honesty, the majority had turned out to be either truly bad or in desperate need of adjustment. For the most part, she'd had to work out the true rules on her own, and one of them had just been applied. Because she could have gone into that encounter trite and repentant and oh-so-willing to try on a brand-new set of sparkling ethical horseshoes -- and none of it ever would have been believed. The officer had already decided to hate Fleur, there was nothing which could have been done to change that closed mind, and so Fleur had gone to one of the least-used parts of her personal code. That it just happened to be one of the most satisfying didn't do anything to salvage what little was left of her life -- but at least it had allowed her to vent on a target which deserved it even more than the rest of the world generally did.

Never be afraid to make an enemy you already had.


The gate led out to a long, narrow path which cut between the backyards of multiple boring rural houses, forming a miniature street which was just about wide enough for two ponies to pass each other in comfort. Fleur maintained her trot just long enough to get near the western exit, which looked as if it led onto a more standard thoroughfare -- then stopped. And for the first time since having been lifted by multiple loops of field and levitated into the air carriage, with no wind rushing into her face from the sheer speed of her exile, without her words being openly ignored... she spared a moment to simply breathe. Breathe and think.

But just a moment. That was all which was available to her, because the Princess had cost her so many. All the moons in Canterlot which had ultimately led to her palace summons, everything she'd done during that time, all the work... gone. That much of her time under Sun had been wasted, by royal order.

Her eyes slowly closed, and in that moment, she heard the ticking of the clock.

Moons gone. Nearly two years evaporated -- no, burned, turned into ash in front of her snout so that she might choke on the black soot of destroyed dreams. And as for what time might remain before her? How long would it take for this pony, this Fluttershy, to decide she was happy with a suitor? How much longer before a pregnancy might result? A pony that skittish might decide to postpone sex until after marriage, and that skittishness might also suggest a decidedly long engagement. A decade or two before the pegasus felt the prospective guest list for the reception would not lead to open revolt, perhaps a full lifetime to settle on the cake...

No. Stop it, Fleur. You're going straight for the worst case. The worst case already happened. This morning. And...

She had to force the breath. It was all she could force. Her eyes didn't want to open, for there was simply too much to look at inside, including all the things she did so much not to see.

...it wasn't as bad as it could have been... was it?

She wasn't in prison. She wasn't awaiting her trial. She was... in Ponyville. Under Sun, a Sun she wasn't particularly fond of at the moment due to the party responsible for moving it, but under Sun, and the light illuminated fence slats, when it so easily could have been reflecting from iron bars. She had some freedom of movement -- perhaps enough to find a pony who could get the circlet off, or make its enchantment send back false locations. Somepony proficient enough in magic --

-- or Magic.

That's one of the Elements, isn't it? Magic?

She concentrated, and came up with very little. Fleur paid some attention to the news -- more than many ponies, in fact, because a skilled escort needed to make a contribution to high society conversations and on rare occasion, the topics within those circles would momentarily turn away from gossip. Fleur knew a lot of gossip, although her talent made using the best of it into a rather pointless and, at best, redundant exercise. But as for news of the Bearers...

...there were six. They all lived in Ponyville. She was fairly certain they were all mares, and as for the Elements themselves, yes, she was sure Magic was one of them, and then there was Honesty, she remembered that one because the concept of honesty being that vital to anything had been so idiotic as to provide her with a portion of rare true laughter, and...

...and...

...and one of them was a startlingly attractive pegasus with the sort of outrageous tail spread which minor cosmetic magic and the most professional of stylists could spend hours in desperate attempts to replicate and never quite make it. If you liked that sort of tail spread, and Fleur was aware that more than a few ponies did. It was a specialist taste, really, and... well, it was something she never really did anything with, because having one's interests go for that kind of tail spread was a minority opinion which cycled in and out of what she generally ignored as fashion, but it was an accepted interest. At most, it would draw a few snickers and (rarely) insults from those who preferred short cuts or wraps, along with the few who still gave perverted thought towards the sickness known as docking. But if an outrageous tail spread was the sort of thing you looked for in a mare, then...

...she was getting off track. Fleur refocused, concentrated harder, and came up with absolutely nothing else outside the realm of gossip, none of which she was currently willing to trust.

Well... she might remember more later, after sleep had restored her somewhat, for it had been a bad day. Just about the worst one of her life, and the fact that it hadn't automatically taken first place said something about both Fleur's experiences and the mistake. The one which the Princess had just made.

Yes, the police had been told about her. But the entire settled zone hadn't. And Fleur now knew what her own error had been. She'd just targeted the wrong pony.

It had seemed like a sensible move at the time. Fancypants didn't really have most of the usual uses for escorts: if he desired mare companionship, it was always there to be had, generally crowding around the stallion while showing off outfits, jewelry, manestyles, and an embarrassing amount of open desperation for his attention. As for other aspects of it -- well, he'd mostly hired Fleur because so many of the other nobles had been asking for her, and if she had become so very popular, then of course Fancypants needed to find out why. And her paid time with him had generally been interesting, right up until that bitch...

...she risked another moment, slowed her breathing...

...well, fortunately, that hadn't lasted long. But she'd had more than enough time with him for her talent to do its job, she'd followed up, and -- well, there had been rumors, hadn't there? That he and the Princess were unusually close? But moving in her invited circles, she had heard that rumor claimed for just about anypony who wanted to make themselves look important. It was just that... looking back, he'd never been the one to claim it. Perhaps that should have been a sign.

She'd made an error. And then the Princess had made a mistake.

The police knew about her. The settled zone didn't. Fleur had been sent to assist a Bearer. And her thought from the Solar throne room still held true: meeting one Bearer would almost inevitably have to lead into contact with the other five.

Six Bearers had to outrank one police chief. Perhaps, given the tales of what they had done to the Nightmare and what she knew had happened to Discord, they might even be able to overcome the influence of a Princess. All she had to do was... be careful. More careful than she'd ever been before, constantly heedful of the lesson which the Princess had made the additional error of teaching her. The Princess was in Canterlot, having just kicked Fleur out of the center of that carefully-built web -- but there was a new place to start her spinning, and she already knew of a half-dozen extremely enticing targets to ensnare.

I lost everything I put together. All of the Canterlot work is gone. Accept that. And she did. Somehow, if only in that moment, she accepted it. But Ponyville isn't exactly without resources. I have the Bearers to work with. There might even be other ponies, ones with influence which I don't know about yet. But just starting from the Bearers...

She breathed and looked at inner visions, ignoring the worst ones which tried to arise with the skill from years of hard practice. And she continued to do so until she was satisfied with her plan.

For now, Fleur would do what the Princess had presented as her sentence, leaving her under Sun and open sky. It would open the door she needed. The door to the Elements, to Magic and possible freedom --

-- or control.

Six Elements can awaken from Nightmare. Six Elements can paralyze Discord.

Six Elements versus a Princess is... an interesting question, isn't it?

And then, standing under Sun, with a chance before her once again, a path which might bring her to where she so badly needed to be... she sighed, and was glad that nopony could hear.

I was so close.

A few more. Just a few more ponies and a little more time. Just a little more time. Even if I can make this work, all that time is gone, and nothing anypony can do will bring it back.

The Princess had time. Endless time, weeks and moons and years and centuries, which she had used to steal Fleur's time...

I hate her.

Of course she hated the Princess. It was a natural, reasonable reaction to the morning's events. But more than that --

-- I hate you, Celestia. And you're going to know it. Somehow, some way, I'm going to make you feel my hate.

You took my time.

Let's see what I can do to ruin yours.

Twice now in her life, standing under Sun among the debris of what had once been her existence, having just figured out what to do next. Twice more than anypony should have ever had to do that. But it had worked once again. She had her path anew, and all she had to do was see where it led her.

Fleur opened her eyes, briefly ignited her field and used it to smooth out mane and tail, got rid of all the dirt from her landing, groomed herself as expertly as she could without proper implements, and stepped out of the miniature street into Ponyville proper. The first thing to do was finding Fluttershy.

The first thing which happened was the fillies nearly trampling her.

PreviousChapters Next