• Published 23rd Jul 2016
  • 1,389 Views, 9 Comments

The Sun Sets, Stars Become Dust - Darkwing Dust



Sunset, the following day after becoming a demon and being bested by Princess Twilight, continues wallowing in her own guilt and despair. Could it take one individual who has some similarities in regards to her predicament help the distraught teen?

  • ...
 9
 1,389

The Sun Sets, Stars Become Dust

Man [BEEP] this film.

Man [BEEP] this film!

[BEEP] it and everything about it!

How, just how did I miss it?! That opportunity to go to Equestria and take residence there instead of this parallel mockery at the end of the movie with the Princess, slipped through my fingers. Some unknown force had obviously kept me from even meeting the pony at the first chance, earn her trust by helping her retrieve the crown, in exchange going back with Twilight at the night of the Fall Formal. Hell, that golden opportunity to go back last night just before she did was right there, and I had the whole time to just leave this accursed world for good.

Instead, I hesitated.

[BEEP] my life.

And now, stuck in this Goddamn school once more with these Goddamn stereotypes in this Goddamn high school, in this Godforsaken unoriginal universe! I mean by God! Who and why would subject me to this world?! What deity would want me to suffer?! What did I do to deserve this?!

What didn't I do?

Passing a corridor, I continued my aimless walk of frustration through the school hallways, students slightly backing up at the only other person they feared here. Or rather, the only one they feared, now that Sunset was no longer a 'villain.' The girl and I had a sort of rivalry since I first arrived in this world - more specifically this school - since I was the sole person who stood up to her and fought back Sunset's silver tongue with my own. I wasn't going to tolerate being bullied again. Although my reputation among the school body hasn't been a glowing review.

I sent them all just as much nasty glares and snappish orders to get out of my way.

I had every right to be angry this time around, though. Not only was I still stuck in this cliche world, but the fact over how [BEEP]ing stupid these people! They witnessed six of their fellow students radiating in magic and growing pony features over their bodies, and another becoming a demon! And no one - NO ONE - I've seen so far has even asked any questions about what exactly happened on the Fall Formal to Rarity, Fluttershy or anyone else, nor about Twilight's disappearance the following day.

No news coverage. No any of that being recorded and uploaded on this world's equivalent of Youtube - I checked - no repercussions what. So. Ever.

[BEEP] this [BEEP]-

...Huh?

A slight ajar door caught my attention, a dark classroom from within. I was in there for History half an hour ago, why is the door open if it's dark? For that matter, why is it so dark in there? Frowning in annoyance, I moved closer, ignoring the students hurriedly passing by me, peeking into the dim classroom, noting that the curtains inside were shut, and I could vaguely make out the silhouette within, face first on the desk with arms covering the rest of said face.

And when I opened the door slowly, the light from within leaked into the large room, revealing red and yellow hair decorating the surface of the desk.

What the... Is she still sulking?

Even so, my expression softened slightly, the sight of a depressed girl can't make me angry as much as concerned. Not that I should be worried for this teen's well-being; what happened last night was brought upon herself.

It's been like this all day; Sunset Shimmer barely spoke to any of the students, including her minions Snips and Snails, and just kept to herself ever since last night's incident. Many of the students had sent her pitying looks all day, though not sympathy. Rightly so, mind you; I certainly didn't feel sorry for this girl after everything she's put everyone through, although I personally didn't get hypnotized at the Fall Formal; having kept my distance from the school.

Hence missing my chance to go to Equestria.

I had half a mind to just leave Sunset to her depression, having no time to comfort a distraught pony over her own failures.

I would've, if the continuous sobbing echoing through the dark room hadn't stopped me, my eyes staying on the wallowing teen. My hand stayed on the handle briefly, yet I couldn't look away. Something about this felt very, very wrong...

...God dammit.

Huffing at my own urge to help a girl in need, I entered fully into the room, slowly almost closing the door and approached the teen. Sunset barely acknowledged my approach, until the sound of the chair of the desk in front of her scraped around for me to sit directly across the teen, glancing up from her tearful state, and something in my chest felt a little twisted; this image of Sunset crying felt very wrong.

"What do you want...?" The bacon-haired girl asked weakly, not bothering to put on a brave face.

"Hello to you too," I responded casually, sitting down and leaning forward as though I was about to console her, "Last night certainly was eventful, don't you think?"

Well, not all dignity was lost. Sunset at least scowled, "If you're here to gloat, you may as well just leave. I don't want to deal with this right now..."

"I don't gloat," I retorted with a snort. Honestly, what kind of [BEEP]hole did she think I was?

"Then what do you want?" Blue-greenish eyes narrowed, her tone projecting both irritation and... Guilt? "You won; you're now the most feared student in Canterlot High; isn't that what you wanted, to knock me off my pedestal? To see me weep in my own defeat? For me to be demeaned and punished for our rivalry? Well congrats, Stardust, you got what you wanted," Then her face stared at the desk, untamed sea of red and yellow hair threatening to cover her shamed features, "Haven't I already suffered enough?"

"'Suffered?'" I repeated, my frown deepening with every word Sunset said. She really thought her torment and suffering was what I wanted? "How is learning to become a better person a punishment?"

Sunset snorted derisively, "Oh yeah, sure, like I even deserve a chance after everything I've done. Because last night certainly proved that I can be a better person," She shook her head, sarcasm melting into regret and sadness, "No... I don't deserve any of that."

Fair enough. You were a piece of [BEEP] to everyone around you, and were overall a horrible person. That's true. Though I don't claim myself to be any better, at least I had my reasons.

"So this is what you're going to do instead, wallow in your own misery until graduation? Is that it?"

Sunset sniffed, glaring hard at the surface of her tear-stained desk, "Seems like a better option than anything else. And why should you care? We... You hate me, remember?"

Holy Christ...

"Sunset... I don't hate you," But she didn't even look up at that, her upset gaze firm downwards. And the more I hear these misunderstandings, the more I hear how guilt-ridden this pony-turned-teen was, the less my own anger boiled down to empathy. I shook my head, "I don't want you to... Suffer like this, I want you to learn from these mistakes and become the better person out of it."

"And how?" Sunset snapped, tears leaking down her yellow cheeks, regarding me again in regretful disbelief, "Just how? In case you haven't noticed, I've known and done nothing but look out for myself regardless of others. I've lied, deceived and almost harmed others just to get what I want! How can anyone forgive me for the things I've done?!" Those orbs which reflected her own negative feelings looked back down, hands clenching the edges of her desk tightly, "How can I ever forgive myself...?"

And, in that moment, I understood now. It finally took me up to now to understand. I always thought Sunset was just a stereotypical villain with the personality of a brick - at least until Rainbow Rocks - but, seeing her now, I was beginning to witness an entire new light. Sunset wasn't just some jealous megalomaniac, but she was also insecure, self-loathing of her own actions and believing herself incapable of being redeemed by anyone, including the Princess of Friendship. She just wanted to feel purposeful, and that cost her everything, and now she hated herself for those actions and wished they could be different.

Just like... Me...

Sunset... Was some form of alternate version of high school me, had I gone mad with power instead of hitting on girls left and right years ago.

...In that case, I say no to her self-hate.

At the sudden contact, Sunset winced slightly at the hand grasping her shoulder, but not unkindly. Taking a breath, I exhaled slowly before beginning with a soft tone, expressing my empathy and understanding, "You were a terrible person, that is true, but I use that in past tense, because I see now that you're remorseful for your actions, and you want the chance to redeem yourself; the same chance Twilight given you."

Sunset shook her head weakly, "It's too late for me..."

"I don't think so... Because I forgive you," That, finally, incited her to look up, tearful eyes widened in surprise by the sincere statement. I smiled lightly, "We had our differences, our rivalry, yes, but it wasn't out of contempt on my part; I just didn't tolerate bullying. And quite frankly, I just simply can't stand the other students here." My tone became much more serious, "But I forgive you, Sunset Shimmer, for everything you've done; because I don't think, I know that you can become a better person, and you're accomplishing that right now."

"How...?"

I didn't miss the tiny bit of hope in her voice, "Because you feel remorse for your actions, and you want to make up to everyone for them."

Daring to go a bit farther, my other hand reached forward and gently wiped off the wet tears streaking down her delicate face. Sunset didn't even flinch, top her credit, instead rather leaning against the touch, as if any close contact would comfort her right about now. Huh... She looked kind of pretty up close, when she wasn't scowling twenty-four seven.

Ya know, for a pony...

Yet I've never seen her so vulnerable, and that strengthened my resolve after brushing some sticky strands of hair off her face. I leaned back slightly, "You have a choice love... You can wallow in your own misery and shut off from everyone else until graduation... As I once had... Or you can put the chance Twilight gave you to good use; learn from your mistakes and use that to make you a better person," Standing up, I offered a hand for emphasis, to help pull the teen out of this depression indefinitely, "And just like the girls, I will help you get through this... By first starting over. I'm Stardust Balance, nice to meet you. Can we be friends?"

Sunset only regarded me from her seat silently, conflicting emotions on her features as she looked from me to my open palm, waiting for her to accept. And my own smile widened from her own yellow hand hesitantly reaching mine and tentatively grasping it. Gently I pulled the teen from her seat, swerving around the desk.

"Sunset Shimmer... And I'd love to be your friend," Sunset affirmed, a small hopeful grin on her own features. Not one that typically showed mockery or maliciously, but a genuine happy grin. And it gratified me to have helped this teen where I couldn't help myself in my high school years, "You forgive me... Just like that?"

I grinned humouredly, "Contrary to popular belief, Sunset, I'm not the complete [BEEP]hole everyone makes me out to be."

That got a small giggle out of the pony-human, brushing a side of her own hair back, "I see that now..." But she positively beamed, radiating sincere gratitude, "Thank you... Stardust... For forgiving me."

That smile with those azure eyes paused my own breathing for a brief moment...

"Might I have the honour then of escorting mi'lady out of this dark classroom and to where the girls are?" Not my usual sarcasm, but amused. Heh... Speaking playfully to Sunset, never thought I'd see the day.

Her response was another quiet giggle, her hand still clutching my own without me even realizing until now, "I'd appreciate that, kind sir," Me? Kind? She must be mistaken-

Oh now...

Wasn't expecting that...

I could only blink, stunned at the rather unexpected warm lips to my cheek. Sunset reared back, smiling lightly while I tried to recover from my own shock at her expression of gratitude, "Let's get going then, Stardust."

...Maybe still being stuck in this school won't be too intolerable after all.