• Published 24th Jul 2016
  • 1,380 Views, 35 Comments

How Come Stories Have to End? - Amethyst_Dawn



Starlight talks to Twilight after finishing a good book.

  • ...
3
 35
 1,380

"Why? Just... why?"

Starlight stood in the darkness of the doorway, looking curiously to Twilight, and waiting eagerly for a reply. Twilight slowly shut the book she was reading with a dull thud, and looked slightly surprised by the question. The crystal fireplace cast a warm, orange glow onto the room, and lit Twilight in a way that half her face remained dark. She thought for a moment, took a deep breath, and motioned calmly for Starlight to take the seat across from her.

Starlight heeded, and sat down on the plush, velvet colored cushion. She welcomed the comforting warmth of the fire as refuge from the chill castle, and she looked expectantly at Twilight, who gazed into the glow of the fireplace with a distant expression.

"Tell me, Starlight... what brought this on?"

The patient tone of the Alicorn granted Starlight a small, comforted smile. "I just finished the Chronicles of Mythos- quite the addicting series, by the way -and the ending didn't exactly satisfy." She answered plainly.

Twilight cocked her head. "How do you mean, Starlight?"

Starlight looked away for a moment, contemplating how to phrase her complaints. "It's just... I don't get it. Everything brought up is addressed, and wrapped up, but... the characters were so engaging, the writing was spectacular, and the storyline was unlike any I'd ever seen or read before! Why did it have to come to an end? Why didn't the author keep writing these books?"

Twilight gave off a small, knowing smile, and shook her head. She stepped down gingerly from the chair, and laid down before the fireplace. "Did I ever tell you about my grandfather?"

Starlight quirked her brow. She may be new to Friendship Studies, but she knew to never question Twilight. A lesson she learned from Spike.

"Uh, no?" She answered. Twilight nodded slowly, and spoke again.

"He was a wonderful stallion. Kind, merciful, and generous. You know, he always gave Shining and I exactly what we wanted for our birthdays? And he never lost his temper with us, or with Dad? Such a great pony..." she paused to take a deep breath. "He died in his sleep when I was twelve."

Starlight's head snapped back in surprise. That was not the direction she thought the story would go. She expected him to be the one who got Twilight interested in literature, or for him to be a former Captain of the Royal Guard, something other than... that bombshell.

"Twilight, I'm so sorry..." She sighed, hanging her head. She never even knew her own grandfather, but this seemed to make Twilight's pain seem worse. How must that feel?

"I'm not."

Starlight slowly lifted her face upwards, only to find Twilight looking at her with a sad smile. That merely served to confuse her more.

"What?"

"I'm not sorry. I got to see Twelve years of my grandfather's life, which is far more than most ponies. I experienced the love he could share, the laughter he could give, the joy that followed him like a shadow. It was some of the greatest years of my life, and he said on his deathbed that we- his family -were the highlight of his life.

"I wouldn't trade those few years for anything, Starlight." She sighed heavily. "I heard his life story, and even wrote it down. Despite the lack of adventure, it is one of the books that remains dearest to my heart." She levitated the book she was reading, and gave it to Starlight.

Starlight closed the book, and read the title: "The Life, and the Love, of Meteor Shimmer Dusk."

"I found it again in my old home when I went back to make amends with Moondacer." Twilight chuckled slyly. "You remember Moondancer, right?"

Starlight nodded, but quickly cast a worried glance up to Twilight.

The Princess giggled. "You were sitting one table away from us, Starlight, I'm not blind!" She reset her gaze to the fire, and started again. "Tell me, Starlight: do you regret reading those books?"

Starlight was still confused, but she knew the answer to that question. "No. I still love the stories, but--"

"Do you want to take back the time you spent reading them?"

"--... uh, no? But--"

"Do you hate the author for creating such a story?"

Starlight paused for a second, to make sure her mentor was done speaking. When she was sure, she spoke up. "No, I just don't understand why it had to end..."

"It was done."

"Pardon?"

Twilight stood, stretched, and flexed her wings before she turned to face Starlight. "The story was told, the deeds were done, the need for more was over, whether or not the want for more continues. There's no need to continue a tale that's run it's course, Starlight, no matter how amazing it was, or how much of a classic it continues to be. Do you understand?"

Starlight took a moment to shut her gaping jaw, before slowly nodding.

"Good," Twilight nodded back, recovering the manuscript. "now, I'll get back to my reading. And I'll let you get back to... whatever you're doing this week."

Starlight stepped down from the chair, and walked back to the doorway. She stopped, considered something, and turned around.

"Oh, and: Twilight?"

The Princess looked up from her book once again: giving off an air of mixed irritation, and joyful anticipation.

"Thank you," Starlight said with a friendly smile. Before turning and walking out the doorway.

Twilight mirrored the smile. "No problem...






"...my Faithful Student."

Author's Note:

"When a story stops telling itself to me inside my head, there's no need for me to continue writing. And if I try, it only sounds forced."
~C.S. Lewis.
In a reply to an eager fan.

P.S.: I've removed the "Comedy" Tags from this and the prequel for reasons that the humor is not as obvious as in a comedy.

Thank you for reading!

Also: thousand-word count! :yay:

Until Next Time, God Bless You!
~Amethyst Dawn. :twilightsmile:

Comments ( 35 )

Oo, I like this! Great job! :yay::heart:

You smacked me with a rock hard misdirection.

Good on you, and I really enjoyed the way you wrote the story.

Keep up the good work!

This was such a good short story! :pinkiegasp::pinkiehappy:

7419190
7419191
Thank you two so much! :pinkiehappy::twilightsmile:

7419194 You're welcome! :raritywink:

7419177 Lol apologies, I'm on my phone and I mistagged your story :rainbowlaugh:

7419222 I accidentally put it in my comedy story bookshelf while I was placing it in the sweet and cute stories bookshelf :twilightblush:

7419235
That's alright, I forgot to add the "Comedy" Tag! :rainbowlaugh:
That actually helped, thanks again! :twilightsmile:

An excellent lesson there. Don't be sad that it's over, be happy that it happened.

I read the part about Clive Staples Lewis and it all made sense! Great story btw!

I don't see how this a comedy.

It's a sweet little story! Don't get me wrong. But it didn't even try to tell any jokes. This was more of a Slice of Life, through and through.

7420215
7420711
7420912

Thanks! It means a lot that you all like it so much!

And the humor is light, and subtle, but it's in there!

"When a story stops telling itself to me inside my head, there's no need for me to continue writing. And if I try, it only sounds forced."

Huh...

This is my new favorite non-comedic quote.

This is a lesson quite a lot of authors (and readers ) should take to heart. Excellent story.

I hate it when I get done a good book. I guess the good thing is that the book can be read again.

7436893
Precisely. :twilightsmile:
Thank you for reading. :yay:

Terrific story, Amethyst. I love the way you write the relationship between Twilight and Starlight. Honestly. I wish I had your talent for doing so.

Well, maybe not for those two characters (I personally like writing original ones as it gives me more creative freedom). Rather, I mean I wish I had your talent for writing quiet, emotional moments.

You're extremely good at doing them.

Keep it up. :)

7453152
Thank you, I am both honored and humbled. :twilightsmile:

I’ve wondered the same thing before, “How come (wonderful and totally awesome) stories have to end.” The same goes for TV shows, the show is awesome, but the storyline finishes and the show keeps on going anyway, then the TV show loses point and is less fun. I’ve noticed this generally happens with TV shows that have the entire season based on the same topic, those can become really annoying. I liked your C.S. Lewis quote at the end.

7495405
Definitely. :twilightsmile:

Thank you for the compliment, and thank you for reading! I'm glad you enjoyed this.:twilightsmile:

'Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?'
'No, they never end as tales,' said Frodo. 'But the people in them come, and go when their part's ended. Our part will end later – or sooner.”

Thought that might be and apt alternative viewpoint.

Ironically there's a sequel to this. Good story.

Sniff.

Odd that this brings a sniff/tear, but it does.

How did that quote go? "The end? There is no end. There is mearly the point where the story tellers stop telling stories."

Perfect lesson especially with Gen 4 coming to a close

Twilight cocked her head. "How do you mean, Starlight?"

I think you mean "what"
"How do you mean" doesn't make any sense

Other than that the story was amazing!

10372705
I appreciate the feedback! But that was intentional, "How do you mean?" is a common English term that means basically the same thing as "what do you mean?"

10373200
Oh
Sorry I’ve never heard of the term :/

10373418
No worries! I do appreciate the input regardless. :twilightsmile:

"...my Faithful Student."

Alright. Who let the Onion Ninjas in again? You just had to do that to us. On top of the rest of the story. You are evil beyond hope of redemption for doing so...

Great story by the way.

Login or register to comment