• Published 5th Dec 2011
  • 41,149 Views, 1,661 Comments

Flying High, Falling Hard - Soundslikeponies



Twilight, Dash, and Spitfire have a trainwreck of a relationship.

  • ...
111
 1,661
 41,149

Chapter 9: Fliers from Near and Far

Fliers from Near and Far

Flying High, Falling Hard by soundslikeponies

Dash’s nose twitched. She awoke to see her new marefriend asleep next to her, face to face with her muzzle just inches away her own, her breath tickling Dash’s nose. Gently pulling Twilight closer, Dash rested her chin atop Twilight’s head, causing the sleeping mare to let out a happy sigh and snuggle against Dash’s coat. A genuine smile graced Dash’s lips. Lying there, with Twilight resting against her chest, Dash promised herself to never forget how lucky she was to be with her.

“Good morning,” Twilight mumbled as she woke.

“Morning,” Dash replied gruffly, drawing a giggle from Twilight. Planting a kiss in Twilight’s mane, Dash climbed out of bed.

“Do we have to get up?” Twilight whined, letting out a moan as Dash got out of bed.

Dash rolled her eyes even as a smile tugged at the corners of her mouth. “Yes, Twilight. We can’t stay in bed all day.”

“Why not?”

Dash smirked and entertained the idea, but wound up shaking her head. “I can’t. I have to go practice. The competition’s tomorrow and I need to be ready for it.”

“I’ll come help you practice then. I’m still your coach, after all.” Twilight climbed groggily out of bed. “I’ll go make breakfast.”

Dash stretched her legs, glancing over her shoulder to see Twilight heading downstairs and humming to herself with a glowing smile. It looked like the happiest she’d ever seen her friend.

Dash’s stomach growled, and she decided to follow her marefriend downstairs, the wooden steps down out of Twilight’s room creaking as she walked to the kitchen.

She walked in to see Twilight levitating a large glass jar of light brown dust from one of the cabinets onto the counter, filling a large glass halfway to the top with it.

“Is that...” Dash trailed off as Twilight filled the second half with water and stirred, the mix becoming a familiar pale brown sludge.

Twilight turned and levitated the glass in front of her. “Come on, Dash,” she said, giving Dash a reassuring smile. “It isn’t that bad!”

“Easy for you to say,” Dash mumbled, taking the floating glass.

“So... how do we tell our friends that we’re together?”

As Twilight was walking over, she froze. “Why would we do that?” she asked, sitting down at the table and placing a glass of milk in front of Dash.

“What? What do you mean? They’re our friends and they deserve to know! We shouldn’t keep a secret this big from them.” Dash’s eyes narrowed. “Are you just embarrassed you’re with me or something?”

“What? No! Nothing like that! I just don’t want to tell them about us yet.” Twilight gave her a pleading look. “Please?”

Dash groaned, placing her hoof on her forehead. “Alright, I won’t tell anyone for now.” Dash glanced at her glass of sludge, downing it all at once before slamming the glass back down on the table with a harsh bang. “I’m going to get going. We’ll talk about this later.”

“Oh... alright.” Twilight’s ears drooped as Dash headed towards the door. “What about...”

Dash stopped and turned to look back at her. “What?” she snapped.

Twilight flinched. “N-nothing. Sorry. Never-mind,” she mumbled, looking down at the apple fritter in her hooves. “I guess we’ll talk later.”

Dash shook her head and left the library, bucking the door shut behind her.


“What have we learned?”

“Loss of control.”

“Good.”

“Screaming and hollering.”

“Yes, and most importantly?”

“Passion!”

“Right!” Dash landed on the ground in front of Fluttershy. “So now that you know the elements of a good cheer, let’s hear one!” Dash watched eagerly as Fluttershy took a deep breath.

“Yay!” Fluttershy cheered, barely louder than a whisper.

“Really? Are you serious?” Dash asked, causing Fluttershy to shrink under her scrutiny. “That cheer was completely missing any screaming, hollering, or passion! How can you expect to...” Dash pinched the bridge of her snout. “Nevermind, you can just go home now. It’s okay, I’ll just get motivation from knowing you’re watching... or something.”

“O-okay,” Fluttershy said, hanging her head and turning to walk away. “Sorry I wasn’t able to help.”

Dash glanced at Fluttershy’s retreating back, shaking her head and sighing. I shouldn’t be getting so worked up over Twilight not wanting to tell anyone, but... why does she hate the idea of being seen in public with me? She glanced back at the library, her ears drooping.

She flew up and landed on a cloud overlooking the fields she was practicing in.

I’ll just have to become somepony she wouldn’t be afraid to be seen with, she thought, diving off the cloud and beginning her routine.


Twilight sorted Floating Biology of Flight, and Avian Anatomy onto the top corner of a shelf, she sat back and looked at the freshly organized library with a smile. She missed having Spike around to help out; it made running the library much easier.

“Look out!”

Twilight turned just in time to see a cyan blur fly in through an open window, barreling into her and sending her crashing into the bookshelf she had just finished organizing. The books tumbled off the shelf on top of her in an avalanche of paper and hard leather covers.

Dash sat beside the bookshelf Twilight had been buried under, rubbing the back of her neck. “Heh, sorry about that. Accidents happen and stuff.”

Twilight surfaced with a book impaled on her horn. “I don’t know which is more impressive, that you managed to crash through a window barely big enough to fly through, or the fact that you manage to find a way to crash into the library at least once a week.”

“Look, I said I was sorry.” Dash offered a hoof to help Twilight get up, which she took with a bit of grumbling.

“Well that’s great, but you can’t keep making such a big scene every time you visit me like this.”

“Oh well geez, I’m so sorry, Twilight,” Dash said, her voice dripping with sarcasm. “Heaven forbid somepony sees us together and assumes we’re filly foolers!”

Twilight ran over to the window Dash had barged in through, slamming it shut so hard that the glass rattled. “Would you mind not shouting that?” she hissed, “and that isn’t what I meant at all! Listen, do you want to talk about this now? I don’t think we properly settled it earlier this morning.”

“No I get it. It would look bad on your image. I totally get why you wouldn’t want anyone to think you’re dating another mare, it would be so—oh what’s that one word Rarity uses? Uncouth?

“It’s nothing like that!” Twilight insisted.

Dash snorted. “Then what is it like?”

“I just want to wait and figure out how our friends will react before we do anything crazy!”

Dash sat on the floor and crossed her forehooves. “Why do we have to do that?”

Twilight sighed and walked up to Dash, reaching down and giving her a small kiss on the cheek. “We can do an announcement of some kind, but until I’m ready can it please just wait a little while?”

Dash looked up at her with a small blush and a pout. “Fine,” she relented. “I understand why you want to wait, I guess. I don’t agree. But I understand.” Dash reached up and removed the book that was stuck on Twilight’s horn. “And sorry about the books,” she mumbled, scratching the back of her head.

“It’s no problem.” Twilight sighed, looking at the mess. “Were you practicing the sonic rainboom?”

“Yeah.”

“Has it gotten any better?”

“Well, I’ve gotten a little closer to pulling one off. I think. It’s kind of hard to tell.” Dash’s ear flicked, and she lifted a hoof to scratch it. “I’m really close though. At least it feels like I am.”

“I can help you with practice, if you just give me a moment to clean up these books.”

“Sure,” Dash said, standing up and stretching her back. “I don’t know how much of a difference it’ll make, though. The competition is tomorrow, and it doesn’t feel like I’ve been making any progress today.” Dash frowned and let out a sigh. “I just wish you could come and cheer me on. Fluttershy’s going to be there, but she’s... lacking in that department.”

“Can’t I come?” Twilight asked, tilting her head to the side.

Dash opened her mouth to reply, but froze. An excited look entered her eyes. She zipped over and swooped Twilight up in a hug, lifting her hooves off the ground as she nuzzled her cheek. “Oh my gosh! I completely forgot about your magic!” Dash set her back on the ground and gave her a wide eyed look. “You can come to Cloudsdale using that spell you have, right?”

Twilight cleared her throat, still blushing slightly from the hug. “Well, yes. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work—”

“You gotta come cheer me on, Twi! It would mean a lot if you could come.” Dash wrapped a hoof around Twilight’s shoulder. “Besides, you’re my coach. Maybe they’ll even let you stand on the podium with me!”

“Alright, alright, I’ll go.” Twilight found a grin slipping onto her face, Dash’s contagious excitement getting to her.

“We’re going to have to leave today if I’m going to be taking you there. Probably find some place to crash up in Cloudsdale for the night.”

“Okay, so what time do we leave then?”

Dash walked over to the coat rack by the door and pulled a white and pink scarf down with her mouth, bringing it back to Twilight and draping it around her neck. “There’s no time like the present, right?” she asked with a grin. “It might get a little chilly higher up, where we’re going. So you might need that.”

“Well, I’m sure you’ll keep me warm,” Twilight said, as she leaned in and kissed Dash’s lips.

Dash’s lips were warm, and she felt the pegasus freeze as they first made contact. Dash’s eyes widened, her wings twitching and fluttering as their lips made contact, and she melted into the kiss.

Twilight pulled away, smiling at Dash with a faint blush on her cheeks.

“Wha-what was that for?” Rainbow Dash asked with a silly love-struck grin plastered on her face.

“I don’t need a reason to want to kiss you, Dash.” Twilight lead Dash outside, looking over her shoulder at her, and stopping just outside to turn and look at her with a warm, effortless smile.

Dash’s mouth was hanging open slightly, a bright blush on her cheeks. “I, uh... like kissing you too,” she said, walking to Twilight’s side. “I mean...” Dash let out a sigh as the words failed to come to her.

Twilight kissed her cheek, giggling. “I think I know what you mean.”

“Sorry,” Dash said, giving her a weak smile. “I guess I’m a little nervous about this competition.”

“You? Nervous? Well now I’ve seen everything.”

Dash spread her wings and nodded towards her back. Twilight climbed on, the hairs of Dash’s coat tickling her chest as Dash adjusted to her weight.

Dash crouched down, and glanced back over her shoulder at the mare on her back with a cocky grin. “Hold on tight. It’s going to be a long trip.”

Twilight gripped Dash’s neck and nodded. Dash leaped into the sky with a flap of her wings, and took off for Cloudsdale.


Dash touched down on a long winding cloud road in Cloudsdale, panting with her tongue hanging out of her mouth. Twilight looked around the floating cloud city in awe, casting her spell and sliding off Dash’s back.

The entire city was lit with an orange hue with the setting sun. She spun around with a giddy laugh, watching as ponies flew all around it, their coats glowing with the colors of the sun. The city was celestial. It was easy to see why most pegasi chose to remain in their cloud cities.

A groan came from behind her, and she turned to see Dash lying on the clouds, wings twitching and quivering as she took heavy breaths. Twilight walked over to Dash and gently lifted her onto her back.

“Huh?” Dash looked around as she was picked up. “What’re you doing?”

Twilight adjusted the pegasus on her back, making sure she was properly on. “You carried me all the way here. The least I can do is carry you to someplace to stay.”

“I should be fine,” Dash said, panting in Twilight’s ear. “Just give me a few minutes.”

“It’s going to be dark soon, quit being so stubborn and just let me carry you.”

Dash scoffed, her body going lax as she relaxed against Twilight’s back, too tired to put up a fight. Taking it as resignation, Twilight walked along the cloud road, keeping her eyes peeled for anything that looked like an inn or hotel. The buildings looked vastly different than the ones in Ponyville or Canterlot. Long ribbed pillars supported huge, thick roofs, and all the buildings competed with one another in size.

The sound of gentle snoring reached Twilight’s ears, and she looked back to see Dash had quickly fallen asleep on her back, her chin resting between Twilight’s shoulders.

Ponies flying by would pause to look at her with confusion. At first Twilight had thought it was because of the unconscious pegasus on her back, but she realized they were looking at her, not Dash. As a unicorn, she stuck out like a sore hoof in Cloudsdale.

Twilight adjusted the exhausted mare on her back, her pace quickening as she glanced nervously around at the ponies flying overhead.

Spotting a hotel, darting up the steps and bursting through the doors. Behind the main desk, a gray stallion briefly looked at them with an arched eyebrow, before returning to his books.

Dash slid off Twilight’s back, swaying on her hooves. “Hey, Twilight, you okay?” Dash asked and reached out a hoof to touch her shoulder.

Twilight shrugged her away from the hoof. “I’m fine. Why wouldn’t I be?”

Dash gave her a look that Twilight couldn’t quite decipher, but dropped the subject, looking around the hotel lobby instead. “You sure we should stay here, Twilight? I’m good to walk again. We can keep going if you want to find someplace cheaper.”

“Yes I’m sure. This place looks nice.”

“Don’t you think it might be a little too nice? Maybe we could go find somewhere that won’t rob you of all your bits?” Dash asked, eying the large, glittering chandelier hanging in the center of the lobby.

“Don’t worry about the costs. It’s no real issue, I swear!” Twilight insisted, walking to the counter.

Twilight turned to the stallion behind the desk, who was busy scrawling away on a piece of paper with a quill and ignoring her presence. “Ahem!”

The stallion looked up from his books at her.

“Hi! I’d like a room for my friend and I for the night if it wouldn’t be too much trouble.”

“There are a pair of two bedroom rooms available,” the receptionist said, looking through his papers. “Room 304 is a two bedroom, two bathroom suite, while 210 is two bedroom, one bath. The rate for—”

“Oh, we only need one bed!” Dash piped up from behind Twilight.

The stallion slowly looked up from his books at the two with a raised eyebrow, and Twilight blushed furiously.

“In that case,” the grey stallion said, looking back down at his papers. “Room 207 is open. I think you’ll enjoy your stay there.”

Twilight nodded, her face still beet-red. Hastily placing her bits on the counter and grabbing the key, she galloped to the stairs, eager to get behind a closed door.

Dash followed after her, barely keeping up. “Hey, Twilight... you sure you’re okay? You seemed a little flustered back there.”

“Don’t worry, Dash. I’m fine.” Twilight’s voice seemed unsure even to her own ears. Dash gave her a scrutinizing look, but didn’t push the issue.

They walked down the hall, stopping at an unassuming door with their room number. Twilight fumbled to put the key in the lock, bursting in through the door once she heard the small metallic click of it opening.

Her blush that had just subsided returned full force.

The bed had a light pink duvet with red lace hearts all over it. A glass nightstand stood next to the bed. On it, a black vase with a pair of white and pink roses sticking out its top at beside two complimentary bottles of red wine and apple cider.

Dash fell to the ground beside her, roaring with laughter. “Oh man, I can’t believe they gave us a lame room like this! Talk about drawing conclusions, huh, Twilight?” Rainbow Dash glanced up at Twilight from the floor, spotting the way she looked at the room nervously. “Huh? Twilight? What’s the deal?”

Twilight shook her head to clear her thoughts. “Nothing! The room’s great! Why wouldn’t it be great?” She skipped past Dash and levitated the bottle of apple cider in front of her to read the label. “They even gave us drinks!” Twilight’s forced smile faded as Dash walked up beside her.

“You know,” Dash whispered in her ear, her hot breath sending shivers down Twilight’s spine.

Twilight hit the side of the bed with her rear as she tried to back up.

Dash glanced at the bed, then back at her and said in a sultry voice, “I think I feel like going to bed.”

Twilight let out a sigh of relief. “Oh, well if you’re tired, then—”

“I’m not tired.”

“Oh...” Twilight blushed.

Dash sauntered up to Twilight with a faint blush on her cheeks and a hungry look in her eyes. “I’m actually... very awake,” Dash said, leaning in and capturing her lips.

Twilight squeaked as their lips met, melting into the kiss as her eyes fluttered shut. Slowly, she returned the kiss with fervor. Lips still locked, Rainbow pushed Twilight onto the bed, crawling on top of her and kissing her, her rainbow mane tickling Twilight’s neck.

Dash ran a hoof down Twilight’s side, causing her to shift uneasily under her touch. Twilight pushed up on Dash’s chest with her hooves, breaking the kiss.

Dash looked down at her with confusion. “What’s wrong? Why’d we stop?”

Twilight let out a fake yawn, covering it with a hoof. She apologetically smiled at Dash. “Sorry, I’m sort of tired. I think I might turn in right now as a matter of fact! You should probably get to sleep too, since there’s that big contest tomorrow and everything and you should probably be well rested for it!”

“I don’t have to be there until noon.”

“Well, you know, you can never be too rested!” Twilight quipped, squirming against Dash’s hooves that were still planted on either side of her.

Dash rolled off Twilight onto her back, laying next to her. “Was it something I did?” Dash asked, looking over at her. “If it is, just tell me. I wasn’t trying to make you uncomfortable or anything.”

Twilight waved a hoof in the air. “No, no, it’s nothing like that! I’m just tired, Honest!”

Dash turned to Twilight, propping her head up on her hoof. Twilight shuffled nervously as Dash simply looked at her, as though trying to figure something out. After a moment, Dash closed her eyes and sighed.

“Okay... if you say so.” Dash opened her eyes and reached a hoof over, gently touching Twilight’s cheek. “Hey, Twi? Are we... okay?”

She leaned over and kissed Dash, but didn’t get a response. “Of course we are,” Twilight said. “Why wouldn’t we be?”

Dash turned to her, smiling weakly. “Yeah, sorry. I was probably just overthinking things.” Dash wrapped her hooves around the slightly smaller pony, drawing her close. She took a deep breath in Twilight’s mane.

Twilight shifted uncomfortably for a moment, but slowly relaxed, into Dash’s warm body.

“I was lucky we met,” Dash mumbled against her coat, wrapping her wings around Twilight.

“I was lucky we met too,” Twilight whispered, resting her head against Dash’s chest. “Goodnight, Rainbow.”

“Goodnight, Twilight.”