• Published 29th Jul 2016
  • 255 Views, 1 Comments

The Nights Gems - Di-o-S



The stars, there all over the sky at night. They spark wonder and curiosity in the minds of youth, on this night a little filly will learn why the stars are there.

  • ...
 1
 255

Gems

The night wind calmly washed through the castle's halls, the halls it swept through had only guards; walking with little interest down the halls they so often patrolled. All the doors that were on the sides of the corridors were only marginally different. Two doors stood out; one of the sun and one of the moon. Two sisters lay in their beds, on this night we will focus on one sister. A filly named Luna.

---

Luna lay in her bed, sleeping soundly. The door to her room creaked open then shut. Her eyes blinked open sleepily she looked around the room for who might have entered. Luna's eyes fell on a mare with a mane made of up stars and a coat of the constellations. The mare smiled at Luna. It was a warm smile full of motherly love.

"Who are you?" Luna asked the mare curiosity filled her gaze.

"In time you will know," the mare answered with a sad smile. "For now, I have something to show you,"

"Okay. Wait, What do you want to show me?" Luna asked slightly skeptical that she would just blindly follow an unknown mare.

"I suppose that I could tell you," the mare said while walking toward Luna's balcony. "I'm going to show you the stars,"

"The stars? That's it? I see those every night. I mean there cool to look at but there's nothing else they really do," Luna said with certainty.

"They do more than you know, Luna," the mare said with a sigh.

"How do you know my name?" Luna asked, starting to feel less sure of the mare.

"In time you will know," the mare said. "As I said before, I have to show you something," Luna thought over this for a bit, should she go and see what the mare wanted to show her? Or should she stay and have this night nag her for months to come?

"Alright, show me the stars," Luna said her curiosity slowly returning. The mare smiled and with a flash of light disappeared. Luna was about to call out for her when in a flash of light she disappeared too. When Luna opened her eyes, she saw something that was hard to explain. Countless stars surrounded her. All of them varied in size and color. The thing that kept her in awe was the sheer amount of them, millions possibly billions. It was not like looking up at the sky at night.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" the mare asked with a smile on her face.

"Yeah," Luna said absent-mindedly as she gazed at the sight before her.

"It never gets old, looking at all this," the mare said gesturing at the scene.

"Yeah," Luna said still mesmerized by it.

"It seems somepony can't get enough of it," the mare said with a chuckle.

"Why did you bring me here?" Luna asked as she reluctantly tore her eyes away from the scene to look at the mare.

"At first, I needed you to see now I need you to listen," the mare said with a smile that never seemed to go away. "Then you may ask whatever questions you may have,"

"Alright," Luna said unsure of where this was going.

"How many colors do you see?" the mare asked. Luna looked out at all the stars and tried counting them. This seemingly small task became harder as the list of colors grew longer.

"There too many to count," Luna answered.

"Yes, too many to count. Do you know why?" the mare asked.

"Is it because there is a lot of different colors?" Luna asked unsure of her own answer.

"Yes, because each star has its own unique color it's almost imposable to count them all," the mare said. "While each color is unique, most stars are known for their size. For example this big star," the mare pointed at a large star with her hoof. "It's bigger than most but if you were to look behind the big star," the mare waved her hoof to move the big star out of the way. "You would find smaller stars," true to her word 10 small little stars were hidden behind the larger star.

"But why would they hide behind it?" Luna asked confused.

"They didn't. The bigger star may have come after them, but its size is why the smaller stars are overlooked," the mare said. With a little bit of hesitation, she continued. "Later on, you may find yourself feeling as if you are small and insignificant. I want you to know that letting those feelings take over is dangerous,"

"Whats that supposed to mean?" Luna asked.

"I know by now I seem like a broken record but in time you will know," the mare said quietly.

"Why can't you tell me now?" Luna asked slightly frustrated.

"Telling you would be not wise," the mare said without a smile.

"Why? I can handle it," Luna said her frustration growing.

"Some lessons can't be taught with words, they need to be experienced," the mare said trying to help Luna understand.

"Experience what?" Luna asked.

"Too many questions," the mare said shaking her head. "Have you not been listening?"

"I was listening," Luna said.

"If you were then you would understand," the mare said with a sad smile.

"I do understand," Luna said confidently.

"If you truly did then why ask me so many questions?" the mare asked Luna. Luna tried to counter that but her mind came up blank. "With time you will understand why I brought you here. Some stars will always be bigger than others Luna but always know that all stars matter,"

And with a flash of light Luna disappeared, leaving the mare alone to look out at all the gems that were so dear to her.

---

Opening her eyes Luna looked around her room. The mare was not there. The mare's words never truly left her even after a thousand years had come to pass. Now thinking over what she said Luna understood, it was a lesson as the mare said. A lesson best learned with experience.

End

Author's Note:

This is the first story I've written in awhile. I tried to make sure that the mistakes in this story were minimal. I hope that you like it, leave your thoughts in a comment below. On a side note, this story finally got me out of writers block. :yay:

Comments ( 1 )

I read this while I had some youtube cosmic ambience playing in the background. I almost went to sleep I was so freaking relaxed.

The was some good stuff. I likely. :pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment