• Published 24th Jun 2016
  • 524 Views, 4 Comments

A walk in the night - Scuba_Tuba



Starlight Glimmer takes a walk to clear her head.

  • ...
 4
 524

A cold, snowy night

Author's Note:

Okay, I know its no where near Christmas,and its a really short story, but I had to wright this story before I forgot, and beware, its a little cheesy. Constructive criticism is encouraged so I can improve my writing in the future, I may wright a second part if people liked this.:derpytongue2:

A cold, snowy night.



Starlight glimmer woke with a start,her dreams had been filled with a new hate ever since her newfound friends showed her the magic of friendship. She still could not find the power to forgive herself for all she had done. She had wasted ponies lives, taken away potential happiness, sought out control over innocent mares and colts, and for what reason? To fulfill her sick plan to gain revenge on the world for taking away sunburst. She tossed and turned trying to forget her nightmare, she wished she could atone for her crimes, but how? she had no way of redeeming herself. She hated herself for what she had done, but she refused to tell her friends. She loathed the idea of causing them even more trouble, this burden was hers to bare. Restless, she quietly stepped out from under her thick blankets, goosebumps formed under her fur as her hoof came in contact with the cold crystal floor, it seemed as though if it were any colder it would freeze.

She lifted the amethyst cloak to her shoulders, fastening the the drawstrings tightly around her neck. As she stepped out the front door of the castle she sighed, the cold night air felt as though it cleansed her of tension with each breath. She gently closed the door behind her as she felt the crunch of snow under her hooves while the soft cotton hem of the cloak brushed against her ankles with every step. It really was kind of rarity to make this for her, it was a big step up from the old scratchy garments her townsfolk wore. She sniffed as falling snow tickled her nose, blowing the small lump off. Walking through the town, she took note of how lovely it was in winter, the falling snow gently illuminated by the lanterns that adorned the streets, creating a soft glow to the town, the paths were deserted and quiet, but this was good. Starlight needed to be alone right now, she needed to think about herself and what she had done, remembering all those ponies that believed in her stung her heart as tears stabbed at her eyes, threatening to fall down her cheeks. She continued to walk, as though she could just walk away from her problems. She thought and thought and tried to forgive herself, thinking 'if I were somepony else, I would forgive me, right? if I knew somepony else had done this and I hadn't I would think "oh they went through so much and hurt so badly, that's why they did bad things, their not bad" so why cant I forgive myself?' she stopped as a sob caught in her throat while a single tear fell down each cheek, trying to hold back her crying. It took a short while to steady herself, breathing the night air deeply, and mumbling reassurances quietly to herself, she continued walking.

She tried to distract herself from those thoughts, though she knew this wouldn't last long, 'hearth's warming's tomorrow, that'll be fun, I hope I can finish that blanket for Twilight in time, its almost done. And I think Spike will really like that limited edition of the power ponies, I wish I could have gotten it in mint condition though' a small smile graced her lips, as the burn in her chest was replaced with warmth, and then, she heard somepony speak.

"Hello" Starlight was startled, not only by the sudden break in the silence, but the voice sounded childish, like a small foal.

"Hello?" she responded, looking for the source of the voice in question.

"Over here, silly" the voice spoke again, she sounded kind. When starlight looked she saw a grey Pegasus mare landing next to a bench.

"Oh, hi, is there something you need?" starlight asked, trying to sound as friendly as possible, not wanting to scare off the mare.

"No, but you looked sad, so Ditsy came to help!" she finished her words with a spark of confidence, puffing out her chest.

"Is Ditsy your name?" starlight asked walking closer to Ditsy, hoping this could be her chance to make a new friend .

"Yup, Ditsy's the name, delivering mails my game!" Starlight already began to take a liking to this mare, she seemed to be so happy and content with herself, something starlight envied. "But you never answered my question, are you sad?, your face is wet like you cried" the mare asked. Concern in her voice.

"Oh that, i-it's nothing don't worry about it" Starlight denied her tears, wiping them away.

"So you are sad, you can tell ditsy, she won't tell nopony" Starlight stared at the ground in thought averting the mares kind cross eyed gaze, "please? Ditsy wants to help" the mail pony said bending her neck down do get a better look at Starlights face.

"Oh... Oh, alright" starlight said in defeat, she always had trouble trusting ponies, but that was something she was trying to get over, so why not start here? "I... have you heard of what happened with those ponies who got brainwashed?" Ditsy simply nodded, waiting to hear what starlight would say. "Well, I..... I.... I-I was the pony who did it" the sing in her chest burst back to life as memories clawed at her brain. She expected Ditsy to run, to scream, to real back in disgust, but she didn't, she simply smiled kindly at her.

" That's okay, everypony makes mistakes, Ditsy makes 'em a lot! But your not a meanie pants now, right? Ditsy forgives you, and Ditsy is sure that everypony else does to." Starlight was shocked at this response, this was the last thing she thought would come out of the bubbly mares mouth.

"I just- I just feel so horrible, and guilty, and the reason I did such bad things, was because my friend got their cutie mark! I was just, lonely, and instead of reaching out for help, I hurt other ponies." starlight could feel her cheeks dampen as the sting in her chest grew and felt as if her heart was ablaze. "how can I forgive my self? how can they forgive me!?" Starlight gestured to the castle which was far away by now. "How can you forgive me!?" Starlight was sobbing, her hot tears melting little bits of snow as they cascaded down her muzzle onto the ground.
"because, Ditsy sees the nice pony you really are, you just got angry for a little while" ditsy replied calmly stroking the older unicorns back through her cloak.

"but, b-but-" ditsy cut her off, shushing the lavender pony.

"Ditsy understands, you don't need to say bad things 'bout you anymore, don't you know that lying is bad?" Starlight cried and cried, letting everything out to this kind mare. "sometimes, Ditsy feels bad 'Bout Ditsy" Starlight quieted her sobs to listen to what the young mare would say next "sometimes, when Ditsy was just a little foal, Ditsy got teased 'Cause Ditsy takes a little longer to understand stuff, and Ditsy would cry" Ditsy ushered Starlight to site next to her on the bench, which is what Starlight did. "But when Ditsy's mama saw Ditsy cry, her mama would say 'Don't you cry Ditsy, your stronger then anypony who says you're dumb or stupid, because anypony who says you're stupid doesn't know who you are, you're one of the smartest foals I know, because your kind' and then Ditsy didn't feel bad any more, and when somepony tried to tease Ditsy, Ditsy said 'Why are you saying that stuff? didn't your mama tell you its bad to lie?' and then Ditsy didn't get teased any more, because the other foals knew Ditsy likes Ditsy, so there was nothing they could say that would hurt her" Starlight was calmed by this mares tone, she was so kind.

"but that's different you were teased, I did bad things and-" Starlight was cut off again.

" No it's not, because when Ditsy got teased, Ditsy felt stupid and didn't like Ditsy, and when you did bad stuff you felt mean and didn't like you, so stop being a liar liar pants on fire, and see that you're good" Starlight opened her mouth to protest, but Ditsy wouldn't have any of it.
"Ditsy can prove it, Ditsy wouldn't be here if you were right" Starlight thought long and hard about all that Ditsy had said, and it was true, if she were evil and a horrible pony, why would her friends be her friends? why would they try so hard to make her happy? Starlight's tears began to flow for the third time that night, as she wept ditsy held her in an embrace of love, friendship an most importantly, acceptance. Starlight felt the dampness on Ditsy's cheek on her ear, as a small flow of tears made by happiness moistened her cheek, whilst Starlight soaked her shoulder in her glee, as Starlight composed her self she lifted her head and looked ditsy in her good eye.

"Thank you, Thank you so much" that's all Starlight could think to say as Ditsy stood and walked Starlight home. Because that's all Starlight needed, a walk in the night.

Comments ( 4 )

i'm really new, and i was wondering, does it automatically mark itself as complete after a while, or what? if not, how do i mark it as complete?

7334451 In the story edit page, there's a little slider with story statuses on it. When the story's done, select completed and hit done at the bottom of the page.

7334547 Thanks so much! that's really helpful :twilightsmile:

Comment posted by Scuba_Tuba deleted Nov 23rd, 2016
Login or register to comment