• Published 19th Jun 2016
  • 988 Views, 41 Comments

Building a New Family - Kix



The girls are continuing to adjust to their new situation and continue to struggle with the idea of forgivness. In the mean time, plans for the duo are being drawn out without their knowledge.

  • ...
1
 41
 988

Chapter Six; Results- Moonshade

Author's Note:

Finally, with all the other stuff I've been dealing with I got this chapter done. Now on to work on the next chapter of The Chronicles of Moonshade.

“Moonshade, are you alright?” The woman asks as she carries me to my room and sets me on the bed. I have no idea how long she waits for an answer, but after several minutes of silence, Luna finally gives up and makes for the door.

“Why… why does this have to happen? Just as life was finally starting to look up, this… shit has to happen, on top of the bombshell you dropped on me. IT ISN’T FAIR!” The pompf of my injured fist yet again hitting a pillow is barely audible as I roll onto my good side and try to curl up. “Why does life want to keep making me miserable?”

“I do not know why, and I know it is not fair, but I do know that I will not let anything happen to you. I know life is unfair, but you have already proven you are a survivor. Please, do not be afraid to talk to someone when you get too stressed.” As she sits down on the bed gently, one of her hands gently strokes through my spiky hair as she just look down at me. “I heard you have been doing very good with your placement work so far. In fact, it seems you are nearly ready to be enrolled in Canterlot High, if you want to be enrolled early.”

I roll back and look up at her, knowing that she wants to change the subject for me. The move causes me wince at the slight bumping of my still injured shoulder and as I look up at her face, I can see how emotionally drained she is. “Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind. And as for enrolling early, I don’t think I’m ready. Is there any way I could just continue to be homeschooled?”

“No. Sorry Moonshade, but you need to have more positive social interactions in your life. It will be good for you.” My grimace at the last few words just makes her laugh, which is soon joined by my own laughter. “Are you looking forward to getting out of the sling and cast next month?”

“Yea, I am. Though I’m dreading the physical therapy.” My recently lightened mood turns serious. “Could I… could I sleep in your bed tonight? I… I don’t think I can sleep tonight after what happened.”

“Of course you can, though we might turn you into the middle of an oreo.” Her attempt at a joke falls flat as I stretch and yawn, falling asleep before she can even lift me up.

The next morning starts like usual, the battle to get me up and moving is followed by a shower and going through the tortures of being dressed. Thankfully the only upside to the morning is the breakfast cooked by Sunset or Celestia, though it isn’t as good as Applejack’s cooking. Despite the normality of the meal, there is an undercurrent of anxiety and watchfulness emitting from Celestia, Luna, Lily and myself.

Once the routine of goodbye hugs and words of caution are distributed, Celestia, Luna and Sunset take off for school, leaving myself and Lily alone with the two guards. Thankfully the booklets, and helping Lily, provide a good enough distraction that I forget about them for the most part.

Around lunchtime though the usual routine is broken up by a call from Sunset. “Hey, Sunset.”

“Moon, I know you met both Rarity and Applejack already, but after discussing it with my friends, Luna and mom, we think it’s about time you met the rest of my friends.”

“Why? I’m perfectly happy just knowing those two, why do I need to meet the others?” At my words Lily perks up, smiling brightly from her place in the kitchen, readying our lunch.

“Because, you need to have more social interactions and building up your social circle before you start school is going to be a big help. Plus, some of the others have gotten too impatient, I can’t keep them away any longer, especially since Pinkie wants to throw a final pool party followed by sleepover at my place.”

“Fiiine, not like I have much say on this. If I want to be left alone, however, promise me they will stop bugging me.” I can already feel my spirits drop, dreading the mess that is sure to come.

“I promise, we’ll be coming straight home from school and we are bringing three other, younger girls… oops, that’s the bell, got to run. Take care, Moon.” As she hangs up I just let my forehead land on the table with a very loud smack as I mumble a couple curses.

Lily on the other hand seems to have perked up and all throughout lunch and beyond she talks almost nonstop about how she met the others in the group. About how her and a Rainbow something have a few common interests and how she met three younger girls who seem to be related to Sunset’s friends.

Shortly after four, as I’m reclining in the sofa and Lily is finishing up her booklet the door opens, letting in a jumbled cacophony of conversation as nine girls come in at once. Unfortunately my spot on the couch makes me immediately visible, and the first girl to rush me is a very energetic pink skinned girl with poofy, darker pink hair. “Hi, I’m Pinkie Pie, I am SOOO happy to finally meet you and---”

Thankfully Applejack and Sunset are able to pull the girl away and silence her as they notice how uncomfortable she is making me. “Sorry ‘bout that, sugarcube. We tried ta make her understand not ta do that, guess she didn’ listen. Why don’t we get ya introduced ta the others.”

“Thanks AJ. Let’s get this over with.”

The next one to approach is a cocky, athletically slim girl with cyan skin and rainbow colored hair. Her magenta eyes speak of her desire to conquer any challenge thrown at her. “Hey, I’m the one and only, totally awesome, Rainbow Dash. Nice meeting ya.” Her handshake is firm, and the way she is applying pressure makes me think it is a bit of a competition.

“Hey, Rainbow Dash.” Even though my gaze meets hers, I refuse to play her little game, which upsets her as she walks off, joining Sunset and AJ, who she wraps in a waist hug from behind and smiles.

A slight snarl at the display is my only answer as I turn my attention to the next girl, who seems like one of those brainiacs you sometimes see. Her large, square glass slide a little off of her nose and a purple hand is extending in offering. Her hair is dark blue with a thin stripe of purple and a little thicker stripe of pink in it. Her handshake is nervous and a little awkward as she offers a slight smile. “Hi, I’m Twilight Sparkle. Sunset said that you are very smart, I’d like to maybe have a study session with the both of you.”

“Thanks Twilight, we’ll see what happens, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.”

“Well, you know that technically I can only hold my breath for---”

“Twilight, it is a figure of speech, meaning that it won’t likely happen.” Sunset gently guides Twilight off to the side, making room for a buttery hued girl with long, pink hair.

Rarity gently guides the girl over to me, who turns and hides behind the immaculately dressed girl, hiding her face behind her pink bangs. “Fluttershy, darling, there is no need to be scared. She is just guarded, once you get to know her she is actually very nice.”

As she ends her encouraging words Rarity gives me this look that screams at me to be nice, which only earns her an eyeroll even as I plaster a fake smile on my face as the shy girl approaches. “He… hello, I’m… Fluttershy.” She actively avoids my gaze and doesn’t offer to shake hands, as she says her name I have to strain to hear her.

“Nice meeting you, Fluttershy.” The lie comes easy enough, and seems to relax her a little as she goes off with the others, who are gathered by the patio door.

My attention is drawn to a trio of younger girls standing in front of me, wide smiles plastered on their faces. The first girl to speak has a large, pink bow in her reddish hair, wearing a bright green t-shirt and rolled up blue jeans. “Hi, Ah’m Apple Bloom, Applejack’s younger sis.”

As I take her hand the next one to come forward is wearing green cargo shorts and a black top, her purple hair looks a little messy and even though she tries to tone it down, I can hear the intensity she normally seems to be full of, just like Rainbow Dash. “Hey, I’m Scootaloo, nice meeting you, Moonshade.”

The final girl has a surprisingly cute squeak in her voice, wearing a short sleeved, pinkish jacket over a white and pink top and a yellow skirt. Her alabaster skin looks similar to Rarity’s, though her pink and purple hair couldn’t be any more different. “Hi Moonshade, I’m Rarity’s sister, Sweetie Belle.”

The trio take a deep breath, as if they are about to shout something, but stopped by a look from Sunset. “And we are The Crusaders.” Their voices sound a bit sad, as if they were punished for something.

Once the introductions are made and the trio are out in the back, I notice that Sunset and the others have already stripped their clothes. They must have been planning this for a while, or they keep their swimsuits at the school.

Fluttershy and Twilight are wearing one piece suits, Fluttershy’s suit is mostly a light green with some sort of flower print while Twilight’s is a plain purple that is darker than her skin. The other four are wearing bikinis, with Rarity’s light blue bikini has full, circular cups and a pair of regular looking panty like bottoms. Her bikini also seems lined with some sort of fringe. Rainbow’s bikini top is strapless with the bottoms tied at the side and cut to show off as much of her abdomen as it can. The coloring is blue with golden bolts going down the center of the cups and along the edges of the bottoms. Applejack is wearing a checkered, triangular top with the bottoms looking like a pair of daisy dukes. Sunset’s fiery bikini is a mix of AJ’s top and Rainbow’s bottoms. Pinkie, meanwhile has the cups of her top and the bottoms made to look like cupcake frosting topped with cherries.

Lily, who disappeared when the others arrived, comes out of our room, wearing a white bikini with a print made to resemble a fully bloomed lily as seen from above. Once she joins the others, Lily helps me back to our room and even though I can’t do any swimming, she insists I get changed in some kind of swimsuit. After a few moments of debate I’m dressed in a one piece suit that is black, except for a full moon that starts on my right, curves around the side, and ends on the back.

As we get out onto the patio I notice the trio are also wearing one piece suits, Apple Bloom’s is green with an apple over her stomach. Scootaloo’s looks almost exactly like Rainbow’s, except the golden bolts are a continuous line down the sides. Sweetie Belle’s suit is a plain aqua color. All three are already in the pool and playing some kind of diving game in the shallower end.

As we step out onto the large patio made of stone that surrounds a very large pool, the girls start to slather themselves with sunscreen, and in Rarity’s case, suntan lotion. As Lily helps rub the sunscreen along my exposed skin I can’t help but tense up and fight back the urge to defend myself, even if the others are ignoring us.

Once I’m properly covered in the goop I’m lain in a sea green beach chair that is slightly reclined with Rarity taking the chair next to me, who is now sporting a pair of sunglasses. “What do you think of the rest of our friends, darling?” Looking at her I can’t understand how her laying on her stomach is very comfortable.

“To be honest, I don’t know. Rainbow seems… intense and very competitive. Fluttershy is very timid and easily frightened. I am concerned about Pinkie and how… hyper she is. Twilight seems somewhat approachable, though awkward. As for the Crusaders however, they don’t seem too bad.” As I talk to her I work on ignoring the sounds of splashing, laughter and cries of surprise coming from the gaggle in the water. “Why aren’t you in there with them?”

“Yes, they can be, but they also have their good qualities as well once you get to know them, which I encourage you to do. I do know that you have somethings in common with Twilight and Rainbow, but you will need to talk to them to find out what it is. As for the Crusaders, yes they can be good, but they can also be a handful.” With a smile she looks at her friends as they seem to have switched to a game of Marco Polo. “As for why I am not joining them in there, I would rather not get my hair ruined after putting so much time and effort into it.”

Shaking my head I turn my attention to my tablet and after some difficulty I find myself at a site that is quickly becoming my favorite. The website is a fanfiction site for various shows, book series, movies and comics, in which I get lost in some of the fan stories based on Daring Do. The current story I’m reading has a lot of romance in it without any sex.

“Hey Moonshade, aren’t you hungry?” Lily’s question breaks me from the spell I’m under due to being so lost in the story. As she asks the question the tablet is picked from my good hand and placed on the small table next to my chair. As I look at her I notice an empty spot at the large table with a plate containing a hamburger with lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise. The burger is surrounded by homemade coleslaw and potato salad. A cup of ice cold pop is also sitting on the table.

“Starving, thank you, Lily.” Carefully she helps me out of the chair and leaning on her I hobble my way over, and find myself seated between Lily and Applejack. Looking over I notice both Celestia and Luna at another table, close to the grill and the rest of the food.

Rarity and Sunset, both grinning at me, bring up the topic of the Daring Do series, which both Rainbow and Twilight jump on immediately. I’ll get you both back for this, I know why you did that. You are both rotten to do it. As expected I find myself joining in the conversation, much to my annoyance and the amusement of the others.

The rest of the day goes by and eventually we all head back inside after the girls dry off and head into Sunset’s room to change as myself and Lily head to our room. “It was good to see you open up, even if it was forced. I think you made yourself two more friends.” With a mock snarl I throw one of my pillows at her, which she ducks with a laugh. I can’t help but join her as she takes a pillow and smacks me in the face with it, basically starting a pillow war between us before we lay back in my bed, smiling but feeling happy and we pass out, cuddled tight against each other.

~~~~~A few weeks later~~~~

The routine of the next couple weeks are changed up a little by visits from the rest of the girls, mostly Twilight, AJ or Rarity. However, today I have a doctor’s appointment, hopefully it will end the way I want it to as I’m helped into Luna’s car, carrying one of the few reminders of my first family, the stuffed bear mom placed in my arms during our… final hug. Even Lily and Sunset tag along, hopping into one of the two marked SUVs occupied by the pair of guards. The vehicle looks like it belongs in the Secret Service or the FBI, with how it is painted and how darkly the windows are tinted. Chrysalis and Celestia are unable to join the group due to work.

“Looking forward to this, Moonshade?” Luna smiles as she pulls out, followed at a safe distance by the SUV.

Looking at her, I only shrug with my good arm. A swirling storm of emotions conflict with each other so much that it is threatening to overwhelm me. Only the comfort of Sergeant Bear, as I have come to call him, helps keep the emotions from rushing out, and I only respond by giving the bear a very tight squeeze.

Should I… if we are related, why should I give her the chance she wants? She has been nothing but kind, caring and comforting to me ever since her and Celestia took us in, would it really be that bad to deny her the chance she is practically begging for? She abandoned me, she doesn’t--- but she had no way to take care of me. Who is to say one of her drug or alcohol buddies wouldn’t have tried the same thing? Who is to say they would? She doesn’t deserve it. Yes she does.

The conflicting argumental thoughts only start to cause a headache as they continue clashing. So, with my mouth stuffed full of Sergeant Bear, I begin to mumble out the words of the song playing on the radio in an attempt to ease my thoughts and clear up the confusing mess.

As soon as my anxiety starts to tone down a few levels the car slowly drifts to a stop, and in front of us looms the large hospital. “I know you are scared, Moonshade, so am I. The sooner we get this taken care of, the sooner we can figure out how to proceed. Just breathe for me, baby, breathe.” At Luna’s words my thoughts break apart into a million little pieces, and it is only then that I realize how difficult it has been for me to breathe.

In desperation I gulp in as much oxygen as I can now that I have regained self awareness, my eyes feel like they are about to pop out of my head as my heartbeat feels like I just got done running for a couple hundred miles at top speed. Perspiration soaks the outfit Rarity made for me, making it cling to my body as my hair is plastered with sweat and is now hanging in a wet mess.

“She looks like a mess, but she’s breathing again, the color is even returning to her face.” I have no idea who said that, but soon I’m made aware of the crowd surrounding me at a distance. “Are you okay, Moon? Do you need to see a doctor?”

Once I get my breathing under control I take a few more super deep breaths before giving my head a shake. “No, let's just… let’s get this finished.”

Once the others are sure I’m not going to pass out or freak out we make our way inside, the two guards at the outside of our group and their heads moving rapidly from side to side. Our procession continues until we reach the first appointment of the day, Doctor Stable.

Once checked in Luna makes a couple calls, moving off to the side of the room as she does so. Probably to let both Celestia and Chrysalis know we made it safely. Lily and Sunset on the other hand have busied themselves in a deep conversation they tried to get me involved in, but I just can’t seem to focus on it.

“Moonshade? The doctor is ready to see you now.” The nurse, whose white coat blends almost perfectly with her white skin, calls out while holding a clipboard, smiling as I’m pushed closer. The guards stay back with Sunset and Lily as Luna, who just ended her calls, pushes me down the hall. “How have you been, Moon? Any pain or problems with your shoulder or ankle?”

“Besides the dull ache and my ever growing desire to rip them off? No, I haven’t been having any problems with them.” Once we are inside the office she takes the usual vitals and records them onto the sheet of paper. No matter how many times I’ve been in here, I can’t help but look around the cramped room. The patient’s table sits along the room’s right wall semi reclined, while opposite is his desk dominated by the computer, though he does have a few pictures of his family scattered on the edge closest to the door. A couple medical charts and posters hang on the only two available walls.

“I hear you, I hated it when I broke my leg. Nearly drove myself into a straight jacket by the third week.” Her laughter at the end and the joking manner she said that brings an unstoppable smile to my lips, and even a little bit of a giggle as well, which does not go unnoticed. “Well, seems your mood and attitude has been improving as well. I know the doctor is going to give you one, but here, a little treat from me as well, though you may want to hide it or eat it fast.”

“Thank you.” The offered sucker is hidden in Luna’s purse as the nurse smiles and walks out the door, I can clearly hear humming coming from her as she walks past.

The wait to see Doctor Stable is not a long one, and is passed by a rather uncomfortable conversation with Luna trying to talk me into possibly joining Sunset’s band after the impromptu show I gave her in the vehicle.

“Ready to get that cast off, Moonshade?” My overly eager nod brings some of the doctor’s gentle laughter to bear, which is only mimicked by my possible mother. “Well, we need to take a few X-rays first, but it is only a formality.”

As Luna sits in the office after getting me dressed in a hospital gown, the caramel hued doctor pushes me deeper into the building, and with each step I can feel my tension rising again, though for a very different reason. The X-rays seem to take forever as I’m lain on the table and a multitude of pictures are taken of my shoulder and ankle. Both the radiologist and Doctor Stable go over the images in the booth, making some comments and notes that only make the time lapse seem even longer.

“Well Moonshade, just as I figured. We can get you out of that cast and sling today, though you will need to use a knee walker while you are going through physical therapy, which we can have you start as early as tomorrow.”

“Thanks Doctor, for everything you’ve done so far.” I have no idea what caused the flood of emotions to break free, but for some reason I find myself hugging him with my good arm after he helped me into the wheelchair.

“You are very welcome. And seeing you get healthier is all the thanks I need, though the hug is very appreciated.” The cast and sling removal feel so good, and I have to fight the urge to roll the joints around. After the instructions for care are handed over and explained he hands me not one, but two suckers, both are cherry flavored, my favorite.

As the six of us are reunited in the waiting room, both Lily and Sunset crush me in a group hug, though they are being mindful of my still injured shoulder. “Well, I hope I’m not interrupting anything too mushy.” All of us look up and there is the buttery skinned woman, standing there watching us with her friendly blue gaze. “I hope you two are ready for this, Luna, Moonshade. But there are some things we definitely need to go over, in private. And congratulations on getting rid of the cast and sling, Moon.”

As we pick our way to the office Posey is using, I can feel not only my tension rise, but also Luna’s, judging by how much stiffer her posture has become as we walk through the plain white corridors. Posey’s office looks almost like Doctor Stable’s, though instead of medical posters she has a couple of those motivational ones and posters encouraging people to report child or elderly abuse. Also, in place of the medical table is a pair of more comfortable looking, older style chairs.

“Now, I do have the results of the test, but I think there is something you need to let her know, Luna.” What now? What kind of bombshell can she drop on me this time? I just look at the woman sitting next to me in confusion, hoping that it was some sort of good news.

“Moonshade, I wanted to keep this a surprise from you, and still want to surprise Lily with this, but Chrysalis and I were looking into legally adopting the pair of you.” Wait, really? Why? Did she even consider the whole ‘we may be related’ aspect when she talked about it?

“Why? Why did you want to adopt us? When did you even consider it?” Again I have no idea how to feel about this latest turn of events. However, there is a bit of warmth in my belly at her words. Maybe… maybe she does deserve a chance, she was willing to go through that entire mess to keep us… keep me in her life.

“Because Moonshade, it hurt me to hear what you have gone through and I wanted to ensure that you get the life you deserve. To give you an environment that can help you heal from your past.” As she pulls me into a hug, her cyan gaze locking onto my own ruby pools. “As for how long I have wanted to adopt you, it started that first day we met. Even with how stand offish you were, there was something about you that seemed to call out to me.”

“Thank you, Luna. For all the help, support and care you have given me so far. I… I didn’t know how much I meant to you.”

“You are very welcome, and no matter what happens with these results, I never wanted to take away what your first family has done for you, but instead build on it.”

“It’s good to see you two getting along right now. Now, I haven’t looked in this envelope yet, but if it does turn out you two are in fact related, you will need to talk to Discord about regaining your parental rights.” Posey hands the envelope over to Luna, who immediately lays it on my lap. “Given what I have seen between you two and know about you, Luna, I can give him my recommendation after I go over your old files.”

Nervously I look between Luna and Posey and down to the envelope. Luna gives me an encouraging nudge as Posey motions for me to continue. “Go on sweetie, I know you want to see what it says.”

With my eyes closed my hands shake as my heart beats wildly in my chest, the sounds of shaking paper echos through the room, or so it seems. With a deep breath I slowly open my left eye. Seeing the words on the paper my breath hitches as I read the words over and over, all my thoughts just stop.
.
.
.
.
.
.
According to this DNA test, Moonshade Hearts is Luna Eclipse’s daughter.