• Published 15th Jun 2016
  • 327 Views, 0 Comments

The Solution - P-Jay



A forgotten legend, detailing how the Tribes rose to be the dominant species.

  • ...
 0
 327

Prologue

The darkness of the cave was distantly illuminated by two blades, which rested side-by-side, near the back. One glowed orange, the other, lavender. A small, steady breathing was heard within, as a figure in the shadows ruffled through what sounded like paper. A small flame was lit, the yellow, overgrown spark dancing in the candle's wick, casting a light over the over-sized, peculiarly-shaped forge, resting in one side of the cave. A bulky, soot-covered pony rested by the edge of the forge, his eyes narrowed, riffling through a chest that resided next to the dull, unused coals. After a minute or two of searching, he retrieved what looked like a ruby that gave off it's own light. He raised it, over the candle, smiling with satisfaction as the gem began to glow, with heat. With no time to waste, he cast it into the forge, where an unnatural, boiling temperature began to radiate from, the enchanted ruby heating the interior.

He sat for what felt like hours, staring into the forge, observing the coals. Watching. Waiting, as they slowly changed from the influence of the magic he had cast inside, from a dull black, to a simple yellow...A tame red...Agitated orange...Seething white...And finally, traces of the rageful blue. He drew a sharp breath, waiting one second. Two. Before snapping one of his hooves into the hearth, a metal sleeve with tongs on end coating the arm. Within a single second, a glowing blade was retrieved from the embers, to be slammed against a giant hunk of iron. A select few coals spilled onto the floor from the sudden movement, as the blacksmith raised his left hoof--which was attached to a hammer that covered most of his arm--and slammed it onto the blade.

The resounding sound pierced through the silence, echoing through to the entrance of the cave, vibrating the air...Yet, the sheet of metal remained unaffected, save for the orange imprint of the hammer, which rapidly resumed the blue glow of the rest of it's body. The blacksmith raised his hoof once again, delivering another crashing blow onto the metal, the air shying away from the unrelenting force.

For an indefinite amount of time, the blacksmith repeated that same action, his hammer's surface beginning to glow red from the repeated exposure to the now-white-hot metal...And once the blacksmith was satisfied, he cast the metal--which was in the vague shape of a sword--into a dark liquid. The oil's surface caught on fire, as the depths cooled the blade...

The blacksmith slowly turned his gaze to the forge, which had surrendered to a dull red, in the time he spent folding the metal. He grunted, beginning to pick the coals that had spilled from the forge off the ground with his tongs, setting them back inside their home. With a sigh of satisfaction, he laid down onto the floor, listening to the bubbling of the oil...Rising, once it stopped, to repeat the process once more.

He fished it out, from the black depths of the black liquid, marveling at the tinted blue surface.

"...My dream...Is within my grasp." He murmured to himself, setting the blade back inside the coals, opening his chest to once again withdraw an enchanted gem to super-heat the coals, "ponykind will no longer...Be underestimated."

"Two are already created. This is the last one, isn't it?" A new voice asked, coming from a silhouette leaning near the exit of the cave. "Helios, Eos...And this is Selene, right?"

"Indeed..." The elder pony responded, focusing once more on his craft.

He allowed the candle's flame to lick the ruby.

And threw it in.

All the while, the two swords that rested in the back, in their sheaths, awaiting their sibling...

Author's Note:

okay, this is the prologue of the main story (duh), just building up suspense, and showing exactly how he made the swords. a 'warm-up' for me. since im not really used to writing, outside roleplay. XD