• Published 25th Jun 2012
  • 5,658 Views, 181 Comments

Dragon Cleansing: A Tale of the Dragonborn - duvagr007



The Dragonborn gets Wabajakked to Equestria, only to discover an old foe turning the land's dragon's hostile.

  • ...
26
 181
 5,658

Chapter Six: So It Begins

Chapter 6

You and the six mares walked along a path headed towards the mountains in the far distance. You were silent, thought the ponies talked among themselves about random nothings. You tried to block out their words, not because you didn't care, but because you were listening. Listening for a sound you knew very well. You had even heard it a while back. They were always there, no matter where you went. You didn't fear them, not in the slightest. You had killed plenty before, and would kill many yet to come. The ponies hadn't heard it though. hey hear nothing. But your keen ears picked up on the soft padding of feet. The rustle of bushes. And the occasional howl in the distance. You knew they were close. You could feel it. You paused in the road for a moment, trying to discern which side of you they were on.

Then you heard them. They were on all sides and approaching fast. You said one word to alert the ponies of their presence, and drew your weapons, the malachite blades gleaming in the afternoon sun.

"Wolves!" The ponies instantly went into a frenzy. Twilight charged a spell, the orange one pulled her rope off and began to twirl a lasso above her head. The pink one put colored paper into her canon, and Rainbow Dash took a fighting stance. The other two, the yellow and white one, hid behind the mound of luggage the white one had brought with her. You looked around at them one more time, and then the wolves were upon you.

They weren't normal wolves however. These wolves appeared to made entirely out of wood, and so their skin was a bit tougher. This proved to be of little help to them, as your axes did their jobs all the same. The sound of splintering wood permeated the air as you and the four mares who were fighting along side you did battle with a seemingly infinite number of wolves. They continued to come, and the pile of broken bodies around you grew ever larger. You spun, ducked, hacked, and sidestepped in a graceful whirlwind of blades, teeth, and fur. Their numbers began to dwindle after a while, and you began to relax a bit, toying with the remaining wolves. There were only three left, so you figured you would have some fun.

All three stood in front of you in an arc, slowly approaching you. They were more cautious of you, seeing their pack mates' corpses littered around you in a large circle. The ones on the left and right of the center wolf jumped at the same time, hoping at least one would make it through. If it were only so easy. You swung both of your axes outward in an arc, sending a wolf flying in either direction. Your smile quickly faded however, as the third wolf was mere inches from your face now. He had jumped after the other two it seemed, using his comrades as a distraction.

You attempted to dodge the wolf's fangs, but it was too late. While you did manage to get out of the direct path of his teeth, they still took a chunk out of your left cheek, leaving a sizable gash and the wolf's muzzle covered in blood, as well as your face. You cringed from the pain, but fought through it as best you could. You weren't used to taking too many hits in a battle... your enemies hardly ever got the chance. You hefted your right ax as the wolf lunged again, but this time you were ready. You kicked the wolf when it got close enough, sending it into a tree a few feet away.

WULD!

You shouted, bringing you to the wolf in mere seconds, giving it no time to recover, and you buried your weapon deep in its neck. You pulled you ax out once the wolf ceased twitching, leaving the head nearly severed and sap oozing out of the wound. You turned back to the ponies who stared at you in with their jaws open. Whether it be in astonishment or terror, you couldn't be sure. Perhaps a mix between the two? The first one to recover was Rainbow Dash, who flapped into the air.

"That. Was. AWESOME!" She cheered loudly, her hoof punching the air. Only the orange one and Pinkie Pie seemed to come even close to agreeing. Twilight was passive, or so it seemed since her face showed you no emotion. The yellow one however... she was losing her lunch in a nearby bush. The white one comforting her. She turned and shot you a glare that could make the heat from a Dwemer furnace seem like High Hrothgar, such was the fire in her eyes. She turned and marched towards you, the fire only burning brighter.

"You brute! I understand they needed to be dealt with, but did you have to kill them?!" She glared at you. You weren't sure what had made her so upset, but it wasn't helping the predicament. You decided to defuse the situation before it got out of hand. So you did what your mother always taught you to do in these situations: tell the truth.

"Yes, I did." Short and to the point.

"Well then why did- wait WHAT?! You mean to tell me that slaughtering those wolves with the brutality you just displayed was necessary?"

"Yes."

"Could not have simply turned them away? Run them off or something? Let me tell you something about our world-" Not willing to take this kind of abuse from a talking pony, you cut her off.

"No, let me tell you something about mine. In my world, it's kill or be killed. I did what I did just now for mine and your survival little pony. I was brought up around this sort of thing. If you don't like my methods, Ponyville is back that way. I will kill anything that so much as looks at me the wrong way. You don't know what true survival is." Your face and tone grew darker as you spoke. You were about to continue, but the fear in the white mare's eyes told you that she had had enough. You turned and continued walking in the direction you were all originally headed, uncaring if the ponies followed.

______

As it turned out, the ponies did indeed end up following you onward to the mountains. The white and yellow ones were in the back now though, the former still comforting the latter. Twilight was right behind you, lost in thought, and the remaining three were discussing your feat with the wolves.

"I mean did you see him Applejack!? He used his epic voice power and shouted the wolf into a tree! How awesome is that!?"

"Listen sugarcube, this is the fifth time you said that. Ah know what happened for pony's sake. Ah was there remember?" You made a note that the orange one was named Applejack. Two to go.

"Don't be such a downer AJ, Mr. Cat Man was so cool! He was all like 'BLARGH!' and the wolf was all like 'OH NOES!' and Mr. Cat Man shouted again and he PWNED that wolf!"

"Pinkie, what the hay does 'pwned' mean?" Rainbow asked.

"It's from the Internet silly!" She had a broad smile on her face, when you looked back in confusion. You had been able to judge what 'pwned' meant due to context clues and all, but what in the name of the Nine Divines was an 'Internet'?" You shook you head and kept walking as the three continued their banter. Twilight seemed to be done thinking, seeing as she picked up her pace to walk in stride next to you.

"Can we talk about something?" She looked up at you expectantly, and you stole a glance down at her. You sighed and responded.

"Fine, but no questions about my world."

"Of course," she responded. "Did you really need to kill the wolf so violently? I understand it needed to die, but decapitation?" You went to speak, but she interrupted you. "Before you say something about 'that's just the way I do things', hear me out." You nod -reluctantly- and she continues. "My friend Fluttershy, the yellow one, is the keeper of our towns animals. And while she realizes the dangers of Timber Wolves, just as we all do, it's difficult for her to watch any animal die. Especially in a way so gory and brutal. I wont ask you to stop killing, but if at all possible, make it clean?" Then she said under her breath, "Does that even make sense?"

"Yes, it does," you reply, causing her to jump a bit.

"How did you..."

"Cat senses. But as to your question, I can make no promises. I can however, try to at least keep the brutality to a minimum." You sigh as you realize you're making another promise you can't keep. Well, at least you can try anyways.

"Now then," she says, drawing you from your thoughts. "i think you should go apologize to Rarity and Fluttershy-" name list complete "- for scaring them like that." You start, to protest when you manage to comprehend what she just asked of you, but she gave you a glare that could shatter mountains. You sighed and moved to the back of the caravan, letting Twilight lead for a bit. You were about to face your toughest challenge ever, apologizing.

As you came to the back of the group travelling with you, Rarity gave you another heated glare, though less intense than the one before.

"And what do you want hm? To kill more animals?"

"No, I came to apologize. I'm sorry for the way I acted earlier. Though it was necessary to kill it, the brutality was not needed. I hope we can get past this and be... friends." Did you really just say that? You couldn't believe that had come out of your mouth. You had never considered anyone a friend really. There was just people you like more than others. You never even considered Ralof or Brynjolf friends. Just like-minded individuals, who you happened to be on good terms with. Now that you thought about it, that was pretty much the definition of the word 'friend'. So maybe it was feasible to consider the ponies friends. You both wanted Alduin dead, and you were on good terms with them. Well... most of them anyway.

"I understand the need to dispose of the wolves. But killing them was NOT-"

" I forgive you." Fluttershy made a barely imperceptible noise.

"Fluttershy?" Rarity looked over at her friend, likely due to the lack of being able to hear her.

"I- I forgive you. I can't hate somepony for being who they are. I may disagree with them, but I still love them." She gave you a small smile. At that moment, you could have sworn you felt your heart shatter into a million pieces. This was a pony of great kindness and love. you had only ever met one person like her, and that person was a vampire ironically enough. But that story was for another time. You brought yourself back to the real world just in time to feel Fluttershy hug you. You knew your heart shattered that time, because you actually felt it stop beating for a moment.

Rarity stood there, mouth gaping open and her eyes the size of dinner platters. She apparently just as shocked as you were. After a moment, Fluttershy stepped back and hid behind her hair.

"S-sorry. I'm not usually so assertive. Please don't hate me." She visibly shook a bit as you pondered what to do. After a moment, you decided to just go with it and hugged her back. Maybe you could change. You might like it.

"Well darling, if Fluttershy can forgive you, so can I." Rarity joined in the hug as she spoke.

"AWWWWWWWW! You guys are getting along!" A bubbly voice came from behind the three of you, and you turned to see Pinkie Pie standing there with a big grin on her face. You laughed a bit, and soon all present were joining in. You stood back up, and continued walking, your mood significantly higher.

Just maybe...