• Published 9th Jun 2016
  • 6,820 Views, 1,192 Comments

Flying to the Future - moguera



Dawn and Scootaloo face new challenges and difficulties as they reach adulthood and build their own lives.

  • ...
18
 1,192
 6,820

Drunken Antics

Chapter 13: Drunken Antics

"Hmm..." mused Twilight Sparkle, passing a lens over the point where the grayish-blue of Perlin's wings blended into the creamy color of his coat, "...I don't see any signs of contamination or mutation in the cells around your shoulder joints. I worried there might be some DNA recombination issues with the cells in those areas that could lead to cancerous developments or cellular degeneration, but you seem all right."

"That's a relief to know," said Perlin blithely, even as Coco paled as she waited a short distance away.

"It looks as though Kombu and Wight Shade knew their business," said Twilight. "I'm glad Kombu was willing to cooperate with us, at least."

"I am sure that the promise of leniency was a pleasant incentive," commented Arkenstone wryly.

Twilight nodded. "In any case, it looks as though you get a clean bill of health again, Perlin. You're free to go."

Perlin bobbed his head politely to her. "Thank you for all your help."

Twilight found herself smiling as Perlin and Coco prepared to take their leave, heading up the stairs that would take them out of Twilight's lab. Her smile widened when she saw Coco tuck herself beneath Perlin's wing and lean against him. "Those two are adorable together," she said, once they were out of earshot.

"Just about everyone agrees," said Arkenstone with a smile as he leaned against Twilight. "By the way, when do you want to tell the others about that?"

Twilight pursed her lips. "Soon," she said. "I'm not sure how long I can keep it a secret from Pinkie. I'm amazed she hasn't sniffed it out yet. But we'll be seeing Cadance and Shiny at the Grand Galloping Gala. I wanted to let everyone know there."

"You want to make the announcement at the Gala?" Arkenstone raised an eyebrow. "You're braver than I thought."

"Knock that off," Twilight retorted, elbowing him in the ribs. "It's not like I'm going to blurt it out in front of everypony. I was going to get all our friends together, maybe after the Gala, and let them know."

The basement door opened, prompting Twilight to look up and Arkenstone's ears to twitch. Spike stuck his head in. "Hey, Twilight. Guess what Princess Celestia just sent me."

"The tickets?" asked Twilight.

"The tickets," said Spike with a grin. "Although, ticket is probably a better description for it. She wrote that it was easier to just send you one and let you work out the size of your party."

"Yeah, that works better," agreed Twilight. "We'll have to let everyone know."

"Well, I'll be seeing Bloom and Applejack at the farm in a little bit. I can tell them," said Spike.

Twilight nodded. "I think I can handle the rest, especially if we rope Pinkie Pie into it. Have fun at the farm."

Spike grinned and nodded, pulling his head out of the doorway and closing it behind him.

Twilight smiled and turned to organizing the notes she had taken over the course of her analysis of Perlin's wings. "It looks like everything is in order. All things considered, I think that we can rule Perlin's experience as a successful trial-run."

"Are you sure?" asked Arkenstone. "The Dark Matter used for his wings was a variant specifically designed to be weaponized. You'll have to change its makeup considerably in order to produce an effective prosthetic."

"That would actually simplify things," said Twilight, moving her notes to a folder, which she then slid into a file drawer. "Since we don't want a herd of ponies with weaponized limbs running around, the final designs would end up stripping things away, rather than adding them. That reduces the number of variables in play and the number of complications that could arise."

Twilight's examination of Perlin's wings was part of her ongoing project to develop new prosthetic limbs for ponies who had lost theirs to accidents and violence. Current prosthetics were impressively functional, but were still well short of achieving the same level of functionality as an equine limb, to say nothing of the fact that they were generally composed of inorganic components that wore out and had to be replaced. However, thanks to the development of her understanding of Dark Matter, Twilight realized that it was possible to create prosthetic limbs, organic ones that would function as nearly perfect analogs to the limbs that they replaced, limbs that would grow along with their recipients and even heal damage and wear on their own, just like regular limbs.

Of course, working with material that operated according to its own distinct laws of physics had the potential to result in plenty of complications if one wasn't careful. Fortunately, Twilight had the complete body of Wight Shade's work to draw upon, which gave her a head start. On top of that, she had one of the ponies that Wight himself had modified acting essentially as a test case. The results were promising and would change the lives of countless ponies.

"Well, that's it for the day," said Twilight, giving Arkenstone a nuzzle. "I guess we should get ready for dinner."


Stepping out of the library and into the fading light of the evening, Spike yawned and stretched, spreading his wings and arcing his back in a catlike manner, whipping his tail back and forth the to work a few cricks out of it. The weather was perfect, warm but not overly humid. It was the perfect time for a flight out to Sweet Apple Acres.

Spreading his wings, Spike leapt into the air, sweeping the leathery appendages in a powerful downstroke that carried him aloft. The ground dropped away as he caught a warm updraft that sent him surging upwards to an altitude that had all of Ponyville sprawling out below him. Shifting his weight, Spike banked toward the direction of Sweet Apple Acres. He was so used to this flight, he could have probably managed it with his eyes closed. As he flew, he let his eyes wander across the ponies below, watching them as they went about their business.

As Spike flew, his glance brushed over Berry Punch's bar, where he could see a familiar trio of ponies, led by an orange and red stallion, going in. He frowned. Looks like Sugar Maple and his friends are gonna be spending another evening in the drunk tank, he thought. He silently reminded himself to be careful on the way home, Maple's muttered threat not having faded, despite the time that had passed since it was uttered. Spike had felt the young stallion's baleful gaze more than once and got the distinct impression that Maple was waiting for his opportunity.

However, Spike decided not to worry for the time being. Instead, he let his gaze continue to wander, even as his flight took him way from Ponyville's center and out into its more rural districts, where the streets of homes and shops gave way to meandering roads that led to farms, pastures, and orchards, just like the orchard he was currently heading for.

Dipping down, Spike let his flight take him low over the treetops, savoring the scent of ripening apples as they passed beneath him. The Apple Family farmhouse rose up in front of him. Behind it, he could see Red River's training hall. Backwinging to kill his speed, Spike dropped down onto his feet in the front yard of the farmhouse and trotted up to the front door, knocking politely on it.

The door swung open and Spike grinned as his eyes met another pair the same emerald-green as his own.

"Howdy there, Spike," said Applejack, grinning up at the young dragon.

"Hey there, AJ," said Spike with a grin. "Is Bloom ready."

"Almost," said Applejack. "She's brushin' down that mane 'o hers before ya two head out." She stepped back and beckoned. "Don't stand out there on the porch like a big purple lump, come on in."

Chuckling, Spike made his way into the farmhouse. As he did, he allowed his eyes to take in the rest of his friend. Applejack's orange coat was the same as usual, stretching as though it could barely contain the taught musculature built up over years of working the orchards. Her trademark stetson looked a bit more worn and faded, but Applejack still refused to give it up.

"Have any more trouble after yesterday?" asked Spike.

"Nope," said Applejack. "All quiet today. Ya find out what those varmints wanted."

Spike nodded. "Yeah, Arkenstone told me. Apparently Dawn's biological parents tried to force him to leave with them."

"Are ya serious?" asked Applejack.

Spike nodded. "Pretty much. Although it's a bit of a dubious claim on their part. The problem is that they're a couple of pegasus bigwigs from one of the old clans. Dawn thinks they hired those thugs to attack a bunch of places throughout town to try and put pressure on him."

"So we weren't the only ones?" asked Applejack.

"Nope," said Spike. "They didn't cause any damage though. It looks like the ponies around here were a lot tougher than they were ready for."

That got a chuckle out of Applejack. "Do ya think them buzzards are gonna try anythin' else."

"Dawn and Arkenstone think it's a possibility," said Spike. "They're gonna keep an eye out. I wouldn't worry too much though."

"Worry 'bout what?" asked Apple Bloom as she descended the staircase.

Spike turned to face her and found his face breaking out into a goofy grin as his eyes found her. Bloom wasn't wearing anything special for their date, but she'd brushed her fur and combed her mane, both of which shined under the lights. Her orange eyes glittered playfully as they met Spike's and she fixed him with a sultry smirk.

Applejack chuckled at Spike's smitten expression. "We're just talkin' 'bout those varmints from yesterday," she said.

"Oh," said Bloom. "Do ya think they're gonna come back?"

"If what Arkenstone and Dawn say is true, then probably not them specifically," said Spike. "Don't worry about it. I think those two have everything under control."

Bloom smiled and sidled up to her drakefriend, nuzzling up under the long arch of his neck, which Spike curled around so that he could return the favor, nuzzling into her mane, but careful to keep from making a mess of it after Bloom had gone through the trouble of brushing it.

"All right ya two lovebirds," said Applejack with a wry smile. "Off with ya now. Ya've gotta date to get to, don't ya?"

"Yep," said Spike. Wrapping his wing around Bloom's back, he led her to the door. As he did, he twisted his neck around so that he could look at Applejack one last time. "By the way, Twilight's invite to the Gala came in. It's pretty much an open invitation to everypony, though."

"Ah guess Ah'll have to break out mah dress," said Applejack. "Go on now." She made a shooing gesture with her hooves, ushering Bloom and Spike out the door and shutting it behind them.

"So Princess Celestia ain't sendin' us our own tickets?" asked Bloom.

"Technically no," said Spike. "Since Twilight's a Princess now too, she can technically bring whoever she wants and it counts as her entourage, if you're going by purely technical terms. It isn't as though they're gonna treat us like that. But, given how hectic some ponies' schedules have been getting, it saves Twilight the headache of trying to come up with an actual headcount to give Celestia so that she knows how many tickets to send."

"That makes sense, Ah guess," said Bloom. "So where are ya takin' me to dinner?" she asked, batting her eyes and grinning up at him.

"I've got reservations at the Porcini Palace," said Spike. "Twilight tells me that they're really good and she hasn't stopped raving about it since Arkenstone took her there."

"Sounds like a plan," said Bloom, her stomach rumbling. It had been a long day in the shop for her as she worked on several orders for her master. As hungry as she was, she suspected that Spike could take her just about anywhere and she'd be happy, so long as she had something edible in front of her.

The two of them chatted and laughed as they ambled into town, eager for the night ahead.


"Those imbecilic thugs! How could those fools botch such a simple job?"

Swift Bolt looked up at the sound of his wife's angry screech, sighing as he placed a bookmark in the novel he'd been reading and set it aside. Contemplating the contents of his whiskey glass, he decided he was going to need the extra boost to his morale and downed the whole thing in a single gulp, taking solace in the fiery sensation as the beverage drained down his throat.

Moonstone Gust stamped into the into the sitting room, a letter tucked underneath one wing. She came to a stop in front of her husband, who looked up at her expectantly. She pulled the letter out, holding the crumpled sheet of parchment clenched in her fetlock as she waved it in front of Swift's nose. "Not one...not a single one of them did their jobs! And just look at this parade of excuses...!"

Swift sighed again, his ears folding flat against his skull as he tried to tune out her rant. When she was like this, she could go for several minutes while barely even needing to pause for breath. Well, that's what you get for sending your solicitor to recruit a bunch of toughs from one of Cloudsdale's bars, he thought glumly. You weren't exactly investing in a quality product with that.

Granted, under most circumstances, quality was hardly a concern, seeing as the job that had been given out to those ponies had largely consisted of a list with the instructions to cause as much damage and trouble as possible. Yes, it was a simple order. But Swift had seen the reports on the ponies that Dawn associated with. They weren't your average civilians who could be handled just by sending in a few thugs. Not to mention he'd also pointed out that threatening and harming them was not likely to make Dawn any more acclimated to the idea of coming back to them.

Returning his mind to the present, Swift noted that his wife had switched from ranting to fretting. "What do we do?" she muttered. "At this rate, there's no way we can get Storm Shadow back before the Gala. This throws off all our plans."

All your plans, don't you mean? thought Swift, knowing better than to give voice to those thoughts. His wife was always all too happy to ignore any objections he might have whenever she had her mind set on something, but was just as quick to still include him as an accomplice to whatever decision had been made.

In this case, Moonstone had concocted a rather intricate (and rather farcical from Swift's perspective) plan to take full advantage of Dawn Lightwing's current celebrity status. It included, among other things, a "tearful reunion" attended by as many members of the press as she could assemble, accompanied by their official debut as a family reunited at the Grand Galloping Gala. From there, they could take advantage of the event to bring in sponsorships and endorsements from any number of figures in the world of business.

Of course, that was all predicated on the idea that Dawn would happily adopt the mantle of their lost son, which he clearly hadn't. "Dear," he said, feeling that he was obligated to at least make a token attempt to curb her wild ambitions, lest she get both of them in a lot of hot water, "don't you think we should maybe back down? Threats and intimidation are only going to make the boy more obstinate." In reality, Swift already considered Dawn something of a lost cause. However, he knew better than to dare say that straight out. His best hope lay in getting Moonstone to back down for the time being and then, hopefully, work her around to giving up in the extra time his suggestion bought.

Moonstone glared at him. "Absolutely not!" she snapped. "We need to bring back our son soon or the Gala will be..." She paused.

For a short second, Swift Bolt dared to hope that Moonstone had finally seen reason. But those hopes were dashed when he saw the diabolical smile blossom across her face. "Of course, the Gala," she said. "What better occasion could there be? It's the perfect opportunity. We can kill two birds with one stone."

"Dear? What are you planning?" asked Swift Bolt, leaning forward nervously.

"Never you mind" said Moonstone. "I have work to do. I need to write some more letters."

Wonderful, thought Swift with a groan.


"That sure was delicious," said Spike, rubbing his stomach as he and Apple Bloom left the restaurant. For a place whose menu was built entirely around mushroom-based dishes, it was amazing that the chefs had been able to create a selection with such a wide variety of flavors.

"Eeyup," agreed Bloom emphatically. "Ah'll have to take the girls there when Sweetie finally gets back from the Academy."

"Maybe we could all go," said Spike. "We could make it a Cutie Mark Crusaders reunion."

Bloom giggled at the idea. "That sounds like fun."

"It wwwould be even more fun if you'd ditch the dragon," slurred a voice from in front of them as the familiar orange and red figure of Sugar Maple stepped into the circle of light cast by a streetlamp.

Spike clamped his jaws together, biting back the angry growl threatening to rise in his throat, along with the pithy insult that would have followed it. Maple's body swayed a little bit. Given the look in his eyes, Spike figured that he was all the more likely to seize upon any excuse he could find to try and start a fight.

"Um...Hey there, Maple," said Bloom, apparently noticing the same thing that Spike had. Spike silently applauded her willingness to be diplomatic about the situation, especially since Maple was clearly in a bad mood and looking for a fight. She had a lot more to lose if her drakefriend ended up in a brawl with her fellow apprentice and the son of the pony overseeing said apprenticeship.

"I keep telling you, A.B, dump this chump and hang out with us," said Maple, swaying a little to one side, but managing to keep himself upright. "Ponies and dragons ain't natural together. Do you really wanna be a lizard-lover?"

Spike had to fight even harder to keep the next growl from working its way out of his throat. It wasn't like Maple to be so provocative. For whatever reason, he was primed for a fight. Spike also noted that, for all that he was still drunk, he wasn't as drunk as he usually got on nights out with his friends. I'm guessing that Berry Punch had enough of their antics and cut them off early.

The reminder that Maple had friends sent a jolt down Spike's spine as his ear fins perked up. He very much doubted that Maple's two buddies had called it a night early if Maple hadn't. Odds were they were lurking somewhere in the vicinity. It looks like the training I did with Red is gonna pay off, he thought, I hope...

Bloom, however, had already run out of patience. "Ah don't care what ponies think about it," she said harshly. "Ah ain't dumpin' Spike and Ah sure as hay ain't ditchin' him fer a drunken troublemaker like you. Ya make me sick, Maple."

"Easy there, Bloom," said Spike, gently brushing his wing along Bloom's back. Turning his gaze back to Maple, Spike sighed. "Sugar Maple, we don't want any trouble. You've had a bit to drink and I get that you're probably not in your best mind right now. Why don't we just go our separate ways and call it good for the evening. Let's not blow things out of proportion."

"Stow it, you walking suitcase!" snapped Maple. "You don't want any trouble? Well...too bad. You're a sick freak, thinking you can hook up with my mare."

"Ah ain't yer mare!" shouted Bloom, sinking into an angry crouch. "Even if Ah wasn't with Spike, yer the last pony Ah'd think of datin' Maple."

"Bloom," murmured Spike, "take it easy." He was still trying to keep his ears open, looking for any sign of Maple's friends, even as he kept his eyes focused on Maple.

"You're breaking my heart," said Maple rearing back dramatically. "How could you, Apple Bloom? You're picking this overgrown monitor lizard over your own kind. How could you play with my heart like that, stringing me along, playing with my feelings? Dad'ssss gonna be pissed when he hears about how you've been toying with me."

"Why ya damn varmint...!" Bloom lunged forward, planning to buck Maple's face in.

Only by wrapping his arms around her was Spike able to keep her from doing something that she'd really regret later. "Bloom! Stop!" he shouted. "Don't let him get to you. He's trying to make you angry."

"Well he's succeedin'," growled Bloom, still struggling to escape Spike's grip.

"And you," said Spike, snapping his gaze back to Maple, "I know you're drunk, because you're usually too smart to try a threat like that. Old Ebony knows that Bloom and I are together. We've never made a secret of it, just like he knows that she's been turning down all your invitations and advances. If you try that, he's going to see it for the lie that it is and you'll be the one in a heap of trouble." It had helped that he'd taken the occasional opportunity to chat with Bloom's master, just to make sure that Ebony didn't have any misgivings about Spike's relationship with Bloom.

Maple did not look happy to have his bluff called. He growled angrily and pawed at the ground. Spike tried to divide his focus, working to keep Bloom restrained, though she was calming down now, even as he tried to make sure he kept his eyes and ears out for Maple's friends, who Spike suspected were closing in. All three of them were earth ponies, which discounted the likelihood of an attack from above or a magical assault from long-range. If Maple and his friends wanted to throw down, they'd do so up close and personal at ground level.

Sure enough, Spike's ears picked up the sound of a hoof scuffing against the packed earth of the street behind them. Twisting his head a little, he caught sight of one of Maple's friends trying (emphasis on the trying part) to creep up on him from behind. The young stallion was hefting a fairly heavy plank of wood in one fetlock. However, he was at least as inebriated as Maple, which, along with the fact that he was already in an awkward position walking on three legs, wasn't doing his efforts at being stealthy any favors.

There's one, thought Spike. So where's our third contender?

His eyes picked up motion in a gap between a pair of nearby buildings. He saw Maple's second crony tensed and prepared, probably looking to charge out and buck Spike right in the ribs the second he spotted an opening.

"Bloom," hissed Spike, barely moving his lips and speaking quietly enough that only she could hear him. "Calm down. He's trying to ambush us."

Bloom's mouth snapped shut and her struggles ceased as she shot Spike a worried look. Setting her back down, Spike gently trailed his claws through her mane. "If they come at me, get clear," he said.

"But Spike," protested Bloom.

"Don't worry," said Spike, still speaking in a whisper. "I think I can work out how to keep this from getting out of hoof. But you can't afford to get into a fight with them if you don't have to."

"Are ya sure?" asked Bloom.

"Positive," said Spike with a wink. Raising his head back up, he gave Maple a level look. Maple was glaring at him, trembling with anger. "Look Maple," said Spike, "let's walk away from this and nopony needs to get in any trouble. That goes for your friends too." He looked pointedly at both the would-be ambushers to let them know in no uncertain terms that he'd spotted them. "If you try to make a fight of this, you guys are the ones who are gonna be in the wrong and you're the ones who are gonna end up hurt."

"I've had it with you, you damn lizard!" shouted Maple. "You think you're special, just because you work for the prissy pony princess in her little library? We're gonna teach you a lesson!"

Spike took a deep breath, feeling his fire kindle within him. Rather than breathing it out through his nose and mouth, he instead let it flow out into his scales, heating them and hardening them. Using his right elbow, he gently pushed Bloom away from him. She gave him a worried look, but stepped away, giving Spike some room to move.

It wasn't a moment too soon. Maple's first friend came in from behind, rearing up to grasp his weapon in both fetlocks so that he could swing it with even more force, bringing the chunk of wood at the back of Spike's head. Spike's height advantage put his head a little bit out of reach, so the blow instead landed on his neck, just above his shoulders.

At the same time, Maple's other friend bounded out of the alley, spinning around and bucking out with his hind legs, slamming them into Spike's ribs, just as he expected.

The plank of wood snapped off on impact. Its wielder fell back, yelling in pain as the jolt of impact was supplemented by splinters being driven into his legs. He dropped his weapon almost immediately. The other attacker was spared injury by his own drunkenness. His buck had been off-balance, so the recoil of his hit sent him sprawling across the ground. Had he been properly braced, the impact would have probably split his hooves down to the quick.

Maple, who had rushed forward to join his friends, came up short, stopping when he saw the ambush fall apart.

"Told you so," said Spike soberly. "Let's stop this before somepony gets hurt."

"Too late," came a strangled whimper from behind the dragon.

Maple bared his teeth. "Not a chance! Get up you two!"

The stallion who'd tried to buck Spike got up with a dizzy groan, but the other one remained where he was, whimpering in pain as his efforts to stand only aggravated the pain caused by the splinters lodged in his forelegs.

"Maple," said Spike warningly, "if you do this, nopony is going to believe that you were in the right."

"They ain't gonna take the word of a dragon over a pony!" shouted Maple. He charged forward.

With a sigh, Spike reached out, letting Maple's charge carry his neck right into Spike's clawed hand. Maple might not have been as drunk as he usually was, but that was drunk enough to slow his reflexes to the point that he didn't even think about trying to dodge. Spike's fingers closed around Maple's neck and Spike lifted, completely killing Maple's forward momentum and lifting his forelegs off the ground. Maple let out a strangled gurgle as his forelegs flailed.

Easy, thought Spike. Don't squeeze too hard. You don't want to choke him.

Maple's friend tried to help him, trying to charge into range for another buck. However, Spike's tail lashed out, snapping just in front of the stallion's muzzle and prompting him to come up short and then fall back a couple paces.

"Don't even think about it," said Spike cooly. He turned his attention back to Maple. "You really aren't making things any easier for yourself. Give it up."

Maple's response was to glare and swing his hooves futilely in Spike's direction. Unfortunately for him, his swings fell plenty short of the mark, thanks to Spike's longer reach.

"Geez, what am I gonna do with you?" wondered Spike. He wasn't like Dawn or Scootaloo. He didn't have the skill to knock a pony out without potentially hurting them. Sugar Maple's attitude was making it painfully clear that he'd accept nothing less than the complete reversal of their current positions. "Hey Bloom," said Spike, looking at his fillyfriend, "do you think you can go get the Guard?"

"No need for that," declared an authoritative voice. "Let him go."

Looking for the source of the voice, Spike saw a pegasus mare clad in gray armor with purple highlights hovering overhead. Nodding at the Guard, he set Sugar Maple down on all fours and began to back away, keeping a careful eye on Maple in case his drunkenness outweighed his situational awareness.

Maple coughed and gasped, sucking in air through his slightly-abused throat, glaring at Spike. "You're in for it now, lizard," he hissed before whirling around to look up at the Guard. "Officer, this dragon assaulted me and my friends. Arrest him!"

The Guardsmare merely raised an eyebrow. "Really? Getting an early start on your usual mayhem aren't you, Sugar Maple?"

Maple's mouth worked silently as he faltered beneath the skeptical gaze of the Guardsmare. Reassured by the authoritative presence, Apple Bloom edged back to stand next to Spike again, warily eying Maple's two friends, one of whom was still groaning in pain from the splinters driven into his legs.

"In any case," said the mare, "I'll hear all your stories when we get you lot to the station." Producing a whistle, she blew it, the sharp screech echoing through the night. They only had to wait a couple minutes before the rumble of hooves reached their ears and more armored ponies galloped into view. Four earth ponies and one unicorn surrounded the group.

Maple's injured friend was tended by the unicorn, who used her magic to extract the shards of wood from his fetlocks and then bind them, while the earth ponies and the pegasus made sure that no one else tried to cause any more trouble. Spike shared a glance with Apple Bloom and sighed. "Sorry," he said, "I didn't think our night would go like this."

Bloom chuckled and shrugged. "Oh well. If there's anythin' Ah can say 'bout ya, sugarcube, it's that ya know how to make things interestin'."


The trip to the Guard station only took a few minutes. In the past few years, Ponyville had expanded, necessitating a larger Guard contingent. Of course, with a Princess in residence, Mayor Mare had found getting approval to expand the town Guard's current marepower to be a surprisingly easy task. Twilight had avoided weighing in on the issue as much as possible to ensure that the Guard clearly served Ponyville and the Mayor, not her.

"So...can we expect an angry Princess to come breaking down our door once she hears you're in custody?" asked Featherduster, the pegasus Guard who'd first appeared on the scene.

"I hope not," said Spike. "I'd like to think Twilight trusts me more than that, especially since I'm older now. Besides, she tries to be careful to not step on any hooves where Guard jurisdiction is concerned."

"Which I appreciate," said Featherduster, removing her helm, revealing a dark-gray coat and a black mane. She observed Spike with a pair of keen brown eyes.

"How's Featherweight, by the way?" asked Spike.

"Doing fine, thank you for asking," said Featherduster. "He's almost out of school and the Times has offered him a position on their staff."

"Wow! Good for him," said Spike, grinning.

"Thank you," said Featherduster. "But we should stay on task. I understand this is a little troublesome, but I need you to go over the events of the evening."

"Sure thing," said Spike. "Um...Bloom isn't giving you girls any trouble, is she?" He worried that Bloom might be upset at being separated from him under these circumstances.

"She's being very understanding and is patiently waiting her turn," said Featherduster. "So, by all means, let's get down to business and not keep her waiting any longer than necessary."

"Okay," said Spike.

It took a little while for him to recount the evening. Featherduster allowed him to mostly skip over dinner and focused on the confrontation. By and large, she listened quietly to Spike's retelling, only chiming in with questions when she wanted to clarify a point or suspected that he forgot or left out some detail or another.

After that, Spike was left to cool his heels while he waited for Featherduster to do the same with Apple Bloom. A short while later, Bloom came out of the interrogation room, looking a bit worried.

Spike nuzzled her and shared a brief kiss for her as they waited for Featherduster's permission to leave. A few minutes later, the mare left the interrogation room, tucking a few sheets of paper she'd been taking notes on under her wing. "Okay, you two are free to go."

"Thanks," said Spike.

"What 'bout Maple and the others?" asked Bloom.

Featherduster sighed. "They're next on the docket," she said. "We're giving them some time to sober up and see if that changes their tune any. From the sound of things, it looks like Maple's gonna try and paint you as the aggressor, Spike."

"I figured," said Spike. "You must think that's a pretty shaky charge if you're already letting us go."

"Pretty much open and shut," said Featherduster with a smirk. "The scene speaks for itself after all. You were flanked on two sides and one of your assailants was near a chunk of wood with injuries that suggest he was trying to use it as a weapon. You'd think a senior apprentice to a woodworker would be a better judge of that sort of thing."

"They're slackers," said Bloom dismissively.

Featherduster snorted in an effort to abort her chuckles. "On top of that, given the fact that they're the ones intoxicated and have pretty extensive records of Drunk and Disorderly charges, while the two of you have records that are pretty much spotless...barring one time..." She gave Spike a stern look while he blushed and Bloom giggled. "... I think you're gonna be in the clear. I'm gonna have a word with Maple's father about this. Maple isn't getting off easy this time. It's not the sort of thing Old Ebony can just bail him out of. He's looking at a few months in prison at the very least."

Spike shared an uneasy glance with Apple Bloom. The two of them were more worried about this particular fallout as consequence of the incident. They weren't sure how Ebony would react to what his son had done or to the fact that Bloom and Spike had been involved. They could only hope that he'd finally be forced to face facts about his son. Hopefully Bloom's apprenticeship wouldn't be jeopardized as a consequence.

"Oh well," said Spike with a shrug. "We'll take it as it comes." He wrapped a wing around Bloom. "Let's get back to the farm. I think Applejack is gonna tan my hide when she hears what happened."

"Don't worry, Ah'll protect ya," said Bloom with a merry twinkle in her eye before kissing Spike's cheek.


Fortunately, things worked out all right for Spike and Apple Bloom. Ebony had initially been reluctant to accept the fact that his son had done something so heinous. But, once he'd finally accepted the truth, he'd also accepted the fact that his son had been in the wrong and that he'd been far too lenient in dealing with Maple. Sugar Maple and his two cronies were shipped to the prison in Fillydelphia, Ponyville not having accommodations for long-term imprisonment.

Having been forced to acknowledge his son's guilt, Ebony retained Bloom as his apprentice. He was even rather apologetic to her, regarding his enablement of his son's antics. Simply happy that her career had not been derailed by the incident, Bloom returned to her work and applied herself even harder, especially since the absence of the three senior apprentices meant that there was more work for her to do.

Likewise, Twilight had managed to take news of the affair without panicking, much to Spike's relief. In spite of his assurances to Featherduster, he had been a little worried that Twilight might try to pressure the Ponyville Guard for his sake. But, mercifully, she kept out of it and allowed Spike to handle himself.

Aside from that incident, things remained quiet in Ponyville. There were no further attempts at vandalism on behalf of the Gust clan. The only news of note in the days leading up to the Gala was the fact that a relatively unfamiliar stallion had moved in with Coco, his presence and relationship with her sending several hopeful suitors flocking to Berry Punch's bar to drown their sorrows.

Perhaps the most significant occurrence in that period was Dawn and Cheerilee submitting their proposal to the School Board.


Dawn and Cheerilee left the schoolhouse in high spirits. The Board had unanimously approved their proposal for the new program for young pegasi. "You did an excellent job," said Cheerilee, grinning at Dawn as they made their way down the street.

"Thank you," said Dawn. "But I don't think we would have been anywhere near as successful had you not worked so long on editing that proposal. It must have been quite a bit of work."

"It was fine," said Cheerilee. In truth, she was looking forward to a little extra sleep now that that project was out of the way. Writing and editing the proposal in and of itself wasn't all that difficult. But doing so in the midst of trying to keep up with her students' assignments and teaching class during the day had not been fun in the slightest. Still, she was glad she'd done it.

"We'll start the program next semester," said Cheerilee. "We're actually shifting the schedule to incorporate a number of developmental programs. Princess Twilight is starting a program for our little unicorns and your friend from Sweet Apple Acres..."

"Red River?"

"Red River," agreed Cheerilee with a nod, "is going to be helping the earth ponies learn about their magic. I think this is the biggest change we've made to our educational system in decades. Maybe it'll start drawing interest from educators outside of Ponyville. We could end up starting a revolution!"

Seeing the giddy grin on his former teacher's face made Dawn chuckle. In her own way, Cheerilee could be just as enthusiastic about education as Twilight Sparkle was about any of her research projects. Dawn liked the idea of working with her. He didn't even mind that it would mean less time spent working in the teahouse. Arkenstone had been plenty understanding.

After a few minutes of walking and chatting, they arrived at Cheerilee's house. Dawn bid her a good evening and took to the air as Cheerilee went inside. Flying up above Ponyville, Dawn allowed a contented smile to wash across his face. Life was good.

Or it was...until Dawn sensed the rippling currents that heralded the approach of another pegasus. At first, Dawn thought it was a Weather Pony working the late shift. However, he felt the pony swerve and adjust his path directly towards him. As the stranger got closer, Dawn frowned as he recognized the interloper. He'd gotten a good feel for this pony's contours when he'd come to the cottage, the stallion who'd been standing beside Moonstone Gust the entire time she'd been attempting to cajole, threaten, or order Dawn to come back with them.

"Swift Bolt," said Dawn, coming to a stop and turning in place to view the approaching stallion, "you'd best turn around and take your leave. Nothing you say is going to change my mind. It's best to quit while you're ahead."

Swift bolt fanned his wings to kill his speed, hovering in front of Dawn. "I know that," he said simply. "I came here because I wanted to warn you."

"Warn me about what?" asked Dawn.

"My wife. What else?" growled Swift with an angry roll of his eyes. "Listen, can we find a place to land? My wings are killing me. I'm not used to hanging around like this for so long."

Dawn led them to a nearby cloud and the two of them landed on either side of it, watching one another warily, as though each was expecting some form of treachery from the other. Dawn sighed. "Well, we're not going to get anywhere by staring at each other. What is it you wanted to warn me about?"

"Listen," said Swift, "I'm not about to apologize for what happened when you were a foal. I had no part in it, but I also did nothing to stop or rectify it. I understand that I'm just as guilty as my wife in that sense." He sighed and lowered his head. "An apology can't make up for that, which is why I know that you'll never come back to us, no matter what my wife tries."

Dawn nodded. "I sense a 'but' somewhere."

Swift grimaced. "My wife is...stubborn is putting it mildly. When she sets her sights on something, she doesn't let up until she gets what she wants. I know you aren't coming back to us, but she doesn't care. She'll do whatever she thinks it's going to take.

"I don't know what she's up to, but she's doing something involving the Grand Galloping Gala. I think she wants to make a public announcement declaring that you're her son there. That way she gets all kinds of attention and praise...or, at least, that's how she thinks it's going to work."

"I imagine, given your sterling description of her many virtues, that she would not take my refusal to go along with her plans all that well," observed Dawn. "I'm surprised that you would even be there. I had thought that ponies of your station regarded as touching the ground to be a profane act."

That got a snort from Swift. "There's an exception clause for the floors of the Royal Palace," he replied. "It's a lame excuse, I know. But anyway, you're right about my wife. Moonstone's obviously planning to have some form of leverage to force your compliance. I'm not sure what it is, but she's a nasty mare when it comes to planning those sorts of things out."

"Why come to me at all?" said Dawn. "Not that I don't appreciate the warning, but perhaps you should have gone to the Guard and reported her. Whatever she's doing is probably not going to fall within the bounds of what is legal, especially if her plans are anything like what she tried a little while ago. I know he sent those thugs."

Swift winced. "Are you kidding? Report my wife? Have her arrested? Disgrace the head and name of the Gust Clan? I'd sooner put my head on a chopping block than risk the fallout of that. I've seen how Moonstone and her relatives get when someone jeopardizes their clan's reputation. Suicide is a much more reasonable option."

"And so you'd rather risk being found an accomplice if her illicit activities backfire?" asked Dawn.

Swift shrugged. "I can't say I'd like that, but it's better than the alternative."

"What about your conscience?" asked Dawn.

"I married that mare," replied Swift crossly. "What makes you think that I have any?"

Dawn smirked. "You said that you were afraid to cross your wife and her clan. And yet, here you are. If she would react badly to your reporting her to the authorities, I can't imagine how she'd react to finding out that you came here to warn me that she was up to something. You're taking a tremendous risk...and for what? What gain could you possibly hope to realize from doing this?"

"I..." Swift looked down. "I should be going." He looked up at Dawn again. "I know I don't have any right to say this. You aren't my son...not anymore...but...take care of yourself. Good luck." Swift leapt off the cloud and flew away into the night.

Dawn watched him go, his smile widening slightly. There might be a decent pony underneath that somewhere. With a chuckle, he took flight and made his way home.

Author's Note:

Mushrooms are delicious...and now I'm hungry.

Next chapter: Spitfire asks a few questions.