• Published 26th Jul 2016
  • 529 Views, 9 Comments

Story of Diane Pie - Middle Ground



The other side to Pinkie Pie on a journey to find her place in life.

  • ...
 9
 529

Chapter 3 - Cherry Jubilee

As I woke up from my dream, I found myself in what appeared to have been a room for one pony, with a bed, an empty closet, and on the opposite side of the doorway, a single window displaying the outside world. I got out of bed, with my strength renewed, and walked over to the window to see where I was. I looked out and found myself at the desert town of Apploosa, the town of Settler ponies. This town was famous for growing an apple orchard in the harsh desert, and I remember going there with Pinkie and her friends. I also vaguely remember Pinkie causing a war between the Settler ponies and a tribe of Buffalo just by singing. I'm still trying to figure out just how that happened....

But right now, the town was peaceful, and the Settler ponies and Buffalos were getting along very well. I then walked over to the door to my room and walked through it, hoping to meet and thank the pony that found me and brought me to safety. When I walked through the door, the smell of freshly baked bread filled my nose and my mouth almost became a waterfall. I remembered that I was so hungry and the first thing on my mind was eating my first meal ever. My four legs agreed and I made my way to wherever the smell was coming from. I walked down a set of stairs, which suggested the house I slept in was two-story, and I assumed that there was a kitchen as well. The stairs that were built on the left side of the house led to what I assumed was the living room. It had a few chairs, a center rug, a dinner table, and a couple of windows on both sides of the doorway that led in and out of the house. But my attention to the layout of the inside was brief as I then quickly made my way to the kitchen and towards whatever was making that appetizing smell.

I walked to the back of the room and into the kitchen and then found a pie sitting beside a window to cool. Without hesitation, I rushed over and planted my face into the pie! As I gorged myself, I found out it was a cherry pie and it was so good...! The sweet and tangy taste was too much to resist. It was still hot, but I just ate and ate despite burning my tongue.

"Oh my~! I knew my cherry pies were good, but you ate it without stopping~!" I stopped eating the pie and saw the pony who made it. She was an adult mare with a white coat, had a curly red mane and tail, and her Cutie Mark were two red cherries. I remember her name was Cherry Jubilee and she was a cherry farmer pony.

"You must have been very hungry to have eaten an entire pie that I just baked this morning. I'm glad you liked it, missy." Cherry Jubilee then walked over, grabbed a wash cloth, and hoofed it over to me.

"You got cherry all over your face. You need to keep that pretty face of yours clean for all the colts, missy." She laughed as I took the cloth and wiped my face clean of the pie.

We both sat down at the dinner table as I then ate another pie.

"You're certainly a big eater, are you, missy? You must have been hungrier than I thought you were." Cherry Jubilee was both surprised and glad to watch me eat the pie she made. I finally finished eating and then drank a cup of milk she gave me.

With my strength fully returned, "I'm...sorry I ate your pies without permission, Miss Jubilee." My gluttony got the better of me.

Cherry Jubilee laughed, "It's quite alright, missy~! I can always make more~! Though, I must ask.... How do you know my name? I don't think we've met before." I messed up...! I know her because of Pinkie Pie, but Cherry Jubilee does not know who I am!

"Oh...um...I know that your pies and cherries are really good! And I've seen you before while I visited Ponyville!" I panicked as I tried to come up with an answer that Cherry Jubilee could believe.

"Oh my~! I must be quite famous then~!" Thankfully, she believed me and became full of herself; I was very relieved....

"But what I want to know is...why were you passed out, all alone, on the ground when I found you on my way over here? Me and my three Cart-Carrier ponies did not expect to find a passed out little pony on our way here...." she asked, giving me a suspicious look. There was no way I could answer such a question without making myself look like a freak of nature. I tried to come up with some kind of answer, but I remained silent out of terror.

"But that isn't my business. All that matters is that you're safe and sound." And just like that...she threw her question away.

"But here's another question, missy. What is your name?" she asked as she drank her own cup of milk.

I re-composed myself and replied, "My name is Diane Pie. Nice to meet you...." I felt relief to know that I had a name for myself.

"Pie, huh? So are you related to Pinkie Pie then? You sorta look like her." She kept asking me questions I couldn't answer without telling her everything; I had to tell her something.

"I'm...not related to her. We just look similar and have the same last name. That's all." It hurts to lie to somepony so sweet, but I didn't really have a choice. Miss Jubilee gave me another suspicious look as it became silent between us.

"I see. Well, I guess I was wrong. It is common for two ponies to have the same name. Though, there is one more question I need to ask...." I wish she would stop asking me questions; it was killing me.

Miss Jubilee finished her cup of milk and asked, "Do you have a place to go to? A family to go to? Or are you homeless and alone?" This was a question I could answer.

"I'm...all alone. I don't have anything." I literally had nothing to my name. No home, no family, no friends, nothing....

Miss Jubilee then quickly embraced me and said, "You poor thing~! Being alone and having nothing is just so sad~! You need a hug to make you feel better~!" I did feel a little better from the hug, but I also felt awkward from having my personal space being invaded....

"You know what~? You should come with me~! I can be your friend and your family~! It'll be fun and you won't be all alone~!" she declared with a big smile. I know that she meant well, but she just met me and I am a complete stranger to her. Any pony with common sense would usually avoid a pony like me.

"Um...." I was trying to come up with a reply, but the words would not come out.

"You must be so happy that you can't say anything~! Then it's settled: Welcome to the Cherry Family, Diane~!" She just placed me in her family without even the slightest bit of hesitation.

"Wait...but I-" I tried to stop her, but she then rushed over to one of the chairs and grabbed a bag and made her way to the door.

"I would love to share your enthusiasm right now, Diane, but I am quite busy right now and I must leave you for now~! My cousin, Cherry Jam, will be here in a bit and I am sure she would LOVE to meet you~! I'll see you later~!" She then left the house to take care of whatever she was busy with, leaving me feeling extremely awkward.

"What...is up with her?!" I thought to myself, trying to figure out what just happened. I just sat there at the dinner table, all alone in a house, in a town of Settler ponies and Buffalo, and I just became part of some pony's family. Only two days of existing and my life already took a turn for the hectic! As hard as I tried to wrap my mind, I was then heard a commotion going on outside of the house. I looked outside the front door, poked my head out just slightly to avoid too much exposure, only to see some Settler ponies and Buffalos doing what I believe they call a 'Square Dance'. It looked simple enough for even the little ponies to do, and it looked fun.

"Oh, hello there. You must be Diane. The pony Jubilee told me about." Another adult mare approached me with a couple of bags full of jars full of cherries at the door. Her coat was dark-red, her mane and tail were a pink color, and her Cutie Mark was what I assumed was a jar full of jam or jelly. I was afraid at first, but she seemed really nice with that sweet smile.

"My name is Cherry Jam.", she then gave a nervous laugh, "I guess I should say...welcome to the family?" Even she knew how awkward it was....