• Published 28th May 2016
  • 3,278 Views, 326 Comments

Harmonized - ferret



They defeated Discord! Rainbow Dash is a hero! So why is everypony acting like she’s a deadbeat? Her friends are all experiencing similar weirdness. Then Rainbow Dash stumbles upon something that shakes her to the core.

  • ...
25
 326
 3,278

Back to Normal

It was a beautiful very early spring morning. The stars were gone, but the sky was black as pitch, and the ground was still cloaked in the muzzy darkness of the end of the night. Into this morning, Rainbow Dash awoke feeling refreshed and ready to go. She jumped out of her bed of clouds, and stretched out her sleek, cerulean wings, making sure everything was in order. She took a few minutes to carefully nibble and tug at each primary, but like the rest of the world, her wings were nice and straight.

Rainbow Dash reached for the Hay-Me-O’s like she usually had, but hesitated before her arm closed on the box and smiled to herself. Might as well indulge today, considering that she and her friends had just saved the whole world. She went and got something a bit tastier instead.

It was hard to believe it was only the day before yesterday that the world was in so much peril. Rainbow Dash had been so messed up, she didn’t stand a chance on her own, but then her friends came for her, and saved her, and they all kicked that weird creature’s butt right back into the stone he came from. That’s what she put in her diary at least. Rainbow Dash: world saver. World... defender. Royal world guard. She had to scratch out a lot of possibilities there, never really settled on one.

That was the nice thing about a diary is since nopony was going to read your loopy, squiggly mouthwriting, you didn’t have to worry about making it presentable. Mostly what Dash wrote about that day was how incredible it was that her friends came back for her, even when she wouldn’t listen, and saved her from that awful fear and hatred that filled her, that made her feel like everypony was her enemy. It was just an amazing feeling waking up from that, and knowing you had what it takes to save the day.

That morning, Rainbow peered idly at the slowly growing daylight on the horizon out her window as she ate her breakfast. She quickly got through that tasty lemon blueberry muffin she’d been saving for a special occasion, finishing it off with a tall glass of rainwater. Some final calisthenics, and she zoomed out of her apartment.

The party was over, the celebrations concluded, and this morning her life could finally go back to normal. And that started with her job in cloud busting. With how fast she was, Rainbow Dash wasn’t even slightly worried about being late. She couldn’t call herself Rainbow Dash after all, if she was so slow that she left her workmates hanging!

Her supervisor was a yellow furred redhead called Strawberry Sunrise. A nice mare, strict but fair, Dash had to respect her planning skills, even if a certain blue pegasus could fly circles around her. Strawberry saw Dash coming, and Dash was a little puzzled as the supervisor dropped her clipboard and stared, her jaw hanging open in shock.

“Ready and reporting for duty!” Rainbow Dash said as she swooped up, smirking as she figured she must have wowed her boss, by how she zoomed right up there, and stopped on a dime.

“Rainbow Dash?!” Ms. Strawberry said, beside herself with confusion. “What are you doing here?”

Dash paused, and looked at her supervisor uncertainly, saying, “I... work here? It isn’t the weekend, is it?”

“But you’re on time!” the mare blurted out.

Rainbow figured this was a joke or something, so she said, “You bet I am. When am I ever not on time? Ponyville’s counting on us to give them the weather they need!”

The supervisor blinked several times, before giving an unruly grin and saying, “Oh I don’t even care. We need twenty cubits of cumulus ready to ship to the west side of town before sunrise. You think you’re up to the task?”

“I was born up to the task,” Dash said smugly, shooting off to get her clouds together, barely noticing in the back of her mind the supervisor saying dryly “Well at least that hasn’t changed,” while Rainbow Dash flew away from her.

It was hard work, but it was rewarding to see ponies down there on the ground, looking up at the rain ready to come down overhead. The sky was a grey indigo as Dash hustled, but by the time it was a bright sparkling blue overhead, and the sun peeked over the horizon, everypony below would only see a soft grey. She, along with her coworkers had the morning rainstorm going.

With Discord’s meddling in the everything of everything, the pegasus ponies had a lot of weather management to catch up on. Thankfully the Elements of Harmony had cleaned out all his nasty pink clouds, but that left ponies like Dash there to ensure that Ponyville had a nice peaceful summer. And she wasn’t gonna let them down.

What was less pleasant that day was dealing with her coworkers. So Rainbow Dash showed up first for work, so what? She wasn’t trying to show up anypony else, or put anypony down, like Blossomforth seemed to think. Everypony else loved how helpful she was. Dash was probably the best weather pony they had, and she made sure to make full use of her abilities. She didn’t do things part way, and it didn’t mean anything was wrong, just because they kept giving her strange looks when they thought she wasn’t looking.

To make matters worse, Rainbow Dash was still tired from the party, so she kept running out of steam. It was embarassing having to take a break to catch her breath after just an hour. She didn’t remember what Pinkie got her to drink last night, but Rainbow was certainly going to have a bone to pick with her friend, if Pinkie tried to prank Dash by slipping her some questionable juice. But Dash’s determination didn’t wane, and she knew she’d be more than recovered by tomorrow, and not embarassing herself here getting worn out halfway through the day.

She wasn’t recovered by tomorrow. Over the next few days, Dash started to think that maybe something was wrong. She wasn’t recovering, and her friends weren’t acting normal either. When her five best friends met for a weekly picnic, Twilight in particular was acting really standoffish. “Oh, don’t mention it,” she’d say distractedly when somepony complimented her on how she dealt with that Discord creep. “It’s really not all that,” she said in regards to their accomplishment. And she didn’t want to look anypony in the eye, just staring off at the farms in the distance the whole time.

Another strange thing Rainbow Dash found were like a ton of bills, and all past due! “Man, I really let myself go,” she grumbled, kissing her sweet bonus goodbye, as she budgeted it to fulfill her outstanding obligations. The weird thing is, Rainbow Dash had the money to pay for this stuff, so why was it even overdue? But the really weird thing is, the bills weren’t in her cloud desk. They were just shoved under her bed!

Rainbow Dash really thought she was maybe coming down with something. Her stamina was just shot. She got worn out like halfway through her shift, and her wings were aching and sore after the second day, of just doing ordinary average weather work! She was honestly puzzled because her tricks were going off without a hitch, but as soon as she tried to do anything steadily, it was like she couldn’t put any effort into something for more than 10 minutes.

But the strangeness didn’t end here up in the skies. Rainbow Dash met with her friend Applejack for lunch a few days later, and Dash might have been a little sore and stiff, but Applejack looked like death warmed over. “Woah,” Rainbow said in some shock, at the exhausted farm pony, “What happened to you?

“C-comin down with somethin’ maybe,” Applejack said in a weary tone, in between wolfing down her sandwich hungrily. “I just ain’t been as peppy as usual these past few days. Plus mah family just... ah don’t even know what’s goin’ on. Mah family...

“Mah own family don’t trust me!” Applejack said with her voice tinged in a hurt and rage that just came out of nowhere. It was enough to get Rainbow to jerk back from hovering her head over the table, and listening her friend’s troubles.

“Sorry,” Applejack said, taking off her beatup old hat. She was so worked up that her hooves were shaking as she tried to hold it firmly against her chest, “Ah just been awful stressed lately, what with mah family still all actin’... weird. Maybe it’s some sorta lingering effect of Discord?”

“Well, how are they acting weird?” Dash asked curiously.

“Where do ah start!” Applejack crowed vehemently, rolling her eyes. “First, ah said ah was gonna go buck the east orchard, and Granny gets up in mah face all squinty eyed. She makes Apple Bloom go out there to keep an eye on me, like I wasn’t even gonna do it! Apple Bloom! And Apple Bloom didn’t even think that was a strange thing for her to do! That filly should be studyin’, not playing nanny to somepony who don’t need watching over. And ah been tryin’ to take my turn cooking meals, but they won’t let me, on account of ah might make something that didn’t agree with them. Me! You even tasted mah fritters?”

“Doesn’t Granny Smith make those?” Rainbow asked uncertainly, but Applejack shook her head.

“Yep, she sure does, but ah make ‘em too. She taught me herself, like she has been teaching me all mah years, about how to cook up a mean dumpling stew, and fancy rhubarb apple pie, and apple shortbread, and apple cakes, and apple brown betties, and apple—”

“Okay, we get the picture,” Rainbow said hastily. “So they like... think you’ll mess up? They think you’re clumsy or something?”

“That’s the thing...” Applejack sighed, slugging her glass to send water down her parched throat. “They think ah’m gonna do it on purpose. They keep lookin’ at me funny, and they say they’ll listen to me, but they ain’t doin’ it. Ah think Big Macintosh thinks I’m tryin’ to prank him or something. He just won’t take seriously anything ah say.”

“Huh...” Dash said, at a loss to understand.

When Applejack tried to stand, she almost collapsed, if an alarmed Rainbow Dash hadn’t rushed down to catch her! AJ had this monster headache, she said. “Be-better stay a ways away,” she cautioned Rainbow Dash with a shaky forehoof raised to push the pegasus away. “Ah don’t want you catchin’ it. Ah’ll just... make mah way home, and sleep it off.”

“Oh, no,” Rainbow said, stubbornly propping up her friend. “You already gave me this flu. I’m just not as sick yet. We’re both gonna get you home, and then I’m gonna go take a rest myself.”

So, things were still pretty weird in this town. But then again it was Ponyville, and you had to accept a certain amount of weirdness. Rainbow Dash was surprised at how surprised Applejack’s family looked to see Rainbow Dash escorting the orange mare home. They weren’t surprised that Applejack would be all sick and shaky like this, but that somepony would be helping her. Very unsettled, Dash wished Applejack luck with her family, and hoped she’d feel better soon from whatever bug that had gotten them both it seemed.

Things got even weirder though, when Rainbow Dash went in for her bi-weekly young flyer training session. Dash trained every day on her own, and this day she looked forward to, because she could get some expert info on flying, and best of all she got to race with some really awesome fliers.

Who all hated her guts now, for some reason.

It took Dash some time to dig herself out of the cloud barrier before shoving off and blasting to catch up with her “partner.”

“What the hay, Thunderlane?” Rainbow Dash said acidly in his direction. “You knocked me right into the barrier! What is your issue, mare?”

“Feels pretty bad when somepony does it to you, huh?” Thunderlane replied without a whit of remorse or sympathy. “Maybe you should work with us, instead of just trying to be the best, at everypony else’s expense!”

“I am!” Dash retorted furiously, but he just broke formation to fly away from her grumbling,

“I don’t have to listen to this crap.”

Nopony wanted to pair with her after that, and Rainbow Dash ended up getting paired with Drizzle! The slowest, most incompetent member of the team! Drizzle was a sort of dumpy looking mauve pegasus, with a burnt orangey mane in soft curls. Umbrellas as her cutie mark, not exactly speed material. And asking to partner with her was only possible, because Drizzle was a total pushover and couldn’t say no!

“Look, please,” Dash said with a hot blush as she put herself out for Drizzle’s sake. “I can’t find anypony else, and this is a relay team! I know you wanna sit on the sidelines, but I really need your help!”

“I... um... b-but why are you asking me??” Drizzle managed to eke out in her squirrely voice, cringing away from the boldly rainbow pony. Actually cringing away! Dash was afraid to even touch the skinny purple pegasus, because she might break!

“Just... come on,” Rainbow Dash said in a troubled voice, “I promise you it’ll be okay. You might not be our best flier, but you’re important to the team, too!”

Drizzle just kind of fish mouthed, and followed along silently. Dash didn’t know what to do with her, but... at least she didn’t treat Rainbow Dash with outright disdain.

Twilight Sparkle was still acting pretty odd. She met with Dash for lunch, and Twilight was acting bored, even resentful when Dash tried to tell her about her tricks, or the weird stuff going on at her job. Twilight started out friendly enough, but when Dash got into the weirdness of her teammates, Twilight just clammed up and stopped looking her in the eye. The unicorn just hurriedly finished her sandwich, and said she had to be somewhere. Barely left Rainbow Dash with so much as a goodbye.

That bothered Rainbow Dash. She knew things were a little funny with everypony in general, it seemed, but Twilight was her friend. It wasn’t right to leave Twilight all alone with whatever was bothering her. Rainbow Dash wasn’t the smartest pony on the block, but she could see that something serious was bothering her friend, and Twilight wasn’t talking about it. Why else would she be so... distant toward Rainbow Dash, if she wasn’t distracted by something else?

That egghead was probably worrying about some big sciency thing again, and Rainbow Dash was just the pony to get Twilight’s head out of the clouds. Twilight’d be more friendly with Rainbow, once the unicorn wasn’t all stressed out, right? Well Dash tried that, and...

The Ponyville public library, “Golden Oaks” branch wasn’t a very interesting place to be. Rainbow Dash usually wasn’t going there, except to crash in through the window when one of her tricks went bad, but today she made an exception and used the door. Because today she had a reason to be going there: to talk with her amazing friend, Twilight Sparkle.

Rainbow Dash found Twilight at her library, and Twilight was in there talking with a bright green unicorn. That wasn’t alarming in of itself, but the two of them both clammed up as soon as they saw Rainbow Dash come in. The other unicorn galloped out of the library without so much as a hello, and Twilight said a little too slowly, “Oh, hello... Rainbow Dash. Anything I can help you with?”

“Uh... yeah... who was...?” Rainbow said, looking from Twilight to the door and back.

Twilight just looked at her cluelessly.

“Never mind,” Rainbow said. “I just wanted to check and see if you’re okay.”

“Of course I’m okay!” Twilight said quickly. “Why wouldn’t I be?”

“Just wondering what stupid thing I said at lunch the other day, that made you not want to talk to me,” Rainbow said.

Twilight thought about that and said, “Hmm... nope. I can’t think of anything you said that might have bothered me. Listen, Rainbow Dash, I’m simply under a lot of stress with my new... project, and I’m sorry if I acted rudely towards you.”

“What’re ya workin on?” Dash asked curiously, approaching Twilight, who backed up a couple steps and said,

“Oh! Nothing special, just taking the chromeo...manticoremilliliter and arcing the tangent until my statistical summary indicates positive correlations in—”

“Woah, forget I asked,” Rainbow Dash groaned. “I’ll just let you do your whole egghead thing. I just wanted to know if anything was wrong.”

“Nope,” Twilight said with a flat smile. “Nothing at all is wrong. Everything is perfectly fine.”

“...okay then,” Dash said, eyeing Twilight worriedly. Twilight merely stared silently back. “So yeah, cya, I guess.”

“Have a nice day, Rainbow Dash,” Twilight said with a smile that didn’t look... right.

Twilight was hiding something, that much was obvious. But what? Rainbow guessed she just had to wait for the unicorn librarian to finish whatever it was. The only reason Twilight would be hiding something, was so she could show it to them all when she was finished, right? That was probably all it was, some special magic trick surprise.

Rainbow Dash got to working with Drizzle pretty closely at those training sessions. Drizzle’s problem wasn’t her wingpower, but her self confidence. Somepony had hurt this mare, just like those bullies had gone after Fluttershy so many years ago. It made Dash’s blood boil to think about it, but Drizzle was absolutely adamant about not saying who it was.

Dash didn’t push her. It wouldn’t be right. But she did slowly draw Drizzle out of her shell. Always being there when Drizzle came up to the finish line, even if it meant losing the relay. Giving her tips. Drizzle had a pinion all misaligned and she didn’t even know it until Dash pulled it straight! And sure enough, Drizzle started to perform better. She just needed a little encouragement. When Drizzle passed 6.75 wingpower on the second meeting, there were tears in her eyes. Rainbow Dash didn’t think Drizzle had ever gone that fast before.

And then Drizzle had a total meltdown.

“Why are you being so nice to me?” she shouted in between sobs, and “Why don’t you hate me?” and something about “giving me a chance” while Dash frantically tried to calm her down. It was really hard to understand a pony who was trying to talk while crying. Their aqua green Coach Sassaflash came up to the two with fire in her eyes, saying,

“I thought this was too good to be true. Look what you did to her, Dash. Do you like it when you do this to ponies?”

“What?!” Dash said with tears in her own eyes now, “No! Why would you even think that? What is wrong with you?”

“Oh, don’t you start on me now,” the older pony retorted hotly. “You just get out of here and spend some time to think on what you’ve done. You can consider yourself suspended until further notice!”

And now Drizzle was melting down at the coach’s hooves, begging her not to bluh blub something, but she couldn’t talk real well, and Rainbow Dash wasn’t really aware of much else besides what the coach had said.

“S... suspended?!” she squeaked. She had never ever ever ever ever ever ever

The coach stared at her oddly. “Just what are you playing at, Rainbow Dash?” she asked in a suspicious voice.

“I’m not playing!” Dash wanted to retort angrily, but she got as far as “I’m not pl—” before she couldn’t make words good anymore either. And it was kind of hard to see as she flew off unsteadily, until she wiped at her eyes. And somepony was crying and Rainbow Dash hated it. What went wrong? What did she do?

“Why was everypony being such a huge jerk to me?” she wrote angrily in her diary, later at her apartment all alone. “I tried my best to be there for them all, and they just wouldn’t let me even get close to them! And the one pony who did, I made her cry! Why was she crying? What’s wrong with everypony? They’re”

Dash stared at that her loopy mouthwriting a while, before scribbling “clearly” next to it. Staring at that mouthwriting for a while longer, she simply had no ideas what was so clearly wrong with these ponies. Rainbow Dash just put her diary in her dresser then, rolled over and pulled the clouds up tightly snug against her sleek, blue body, that everypony hated for some reason. Then she let herself drift into a troubled sleep.

Rainbow Dash was pretty much a zombie at work the next day. At least her coworkers had a good reason to give her strange looks now. She couldn’t wrap her head out of what was going on lately. Hadn’t Discord’s evil magic all been dispelled? Maybe some of it was still sticking around? Why else would ponies be so abrasive towards her all of a sudden? She almost got the thunder clouds mixed up with the lightning clouds, she was so out of sorts that day!

And then who should come flying up, but Coach Sassaflash!

“Rainbow Dash, there you are!” Sassaflash said, flying out of the blue to where Rainbow Dash was working steadily on cloud fluffing. “You did... you really work on the weather team?”

Dash blinked at her coach uncomprehendingly, before frowning and saying, “What, you’re here to make fun of me more? I don’t have to say anything to you. I got suspended, remember?”

“Yes, about that,” Sassaflash said, ears drooping as she looked away, searching for the words. “I got the full story from Drizzle, and apparantly you made her cry from being... too... nice to her?”

“Yeah, I don’t get it,” Dash said, angrily, her tail smacking the fluffy cloud beneath her. “Why does everypony have such a problem if I just want to be nice to them?”

Sassaflash didn’t answer, so Rainbow looked her way, and of course the coach was staring again. Sassaflash collected herself quickly though, and said, “I don’t know what’s gotten into you, but you are the best flyer I’ve ever seen. That’s why we need you on the team. But if you keep this up, you’re not just gonna be a fast flyer. You’re gonna be something... something else.”

“What are you saying?” Dash said with a pained grimace, “I’m kinda trying to work here, so could you make it quick?”

“What I’m saying is, you’re un-suspended,” Sassaflash said seriously, “And, I’m ...sorry. I need you to come to the next workout and be on your A game. Can you do that for me?”

Rainbow Dash swept her up in a giddy hug, saying, “Oh, thank yousomuch! I promise I won’t make anypony cry ever again and I won’t be a jerk even if other ponies are being jerks about it, and I won’t let you down ma’am!”

Then she noticed her coworkers were looking at her oddly again, and with an awkward smile, Rainbow Dash set Sassaflash on the cloud in progress, saying, “I’ll... just get back to work now.”

“You been working here long?” Sassaflash answered with a curious wariness to her voice. Dash knew exactly what she was talking about, for once.

“Yeah, I know, but it pays the bills,” Rainbow said with a sigh. “I quit school about three years ago, if you’re wondering.”

She didn’t know why ponies thought that was so terrible. It’d been necessary after that whole nasty business with her dad finally came to a head, and it’s not like she was missing anything. That stuff was for eggheads, not airheads. She was old enough to work on her own anyway, well... as of last year, at least! With a... permit. She honestly didn’t want to attract a lot of attention to this, or her boss might get in trouble, and Dash really did not need to try to live on her own, without a job.

“Look, I don’t mean to pry or anything,” Sassaflash said in a flustered tone. “Just... be there for practice, please? I promise you’ll... get all kinds of recognition, and you can go to the nationals. I bet you’ll take first prize in the Equestria Games.”

“Well duh, of course I’m gonna do all that,” Rainbow Dash said, rolling her eyes. “I’m awesome! What I wanna know is if Drizzle is gonna be okay with me just showing up again.”

Sassaflash blinked again. “What?” she said, looking once again completely lost.

“I really upset her last time, and I just don’t wanna do it again,” Dash grumbled with some chagrin. “You know how bad it feels when somepony says they hate you, or... or you hate them, or something? If she’s okay with it, I’ll come back, but I care more about her than some stupid prize.”

“You... you don’t care about the prize?” Sassaflash asked looking faint as she did.

“Of course I do,” Dash retorted, “It’d be the most awesome thing ever if ponies would finally recognize me as the greatest flyer to ever come out of Cloudsdale!”

She swooped above the cloud, spreading her wings midair in that bright sky, and saying with a cocky smile, “But what kinda hero would I be, if all I cared about was what I was getting out of it? We can’t take the nationals if we don’t have a good team, no matter how fast I am. I can find another relay team, it’s no biggie.”

“No!” Sassaflash squealed, then said hurriedly, “No, just, show up for practice. You’re more than welcome if you... if...” and to Rainbow Dash’s immense confusion, there were tears in the eyes of her coach now.

“I have to go,” Sassaflash breathed out, flying swiftly away. “Next Tuesday, hour after dawn!” she called out behind herself.

Dash looked after her, and then back at this cloud she was working on. She looked at her coworkers, looking over at her and whispering with each other.

“Okay,” Dash said, in a note of finality. She kicked that cloud into fluffy perfection, and zipped over to get the next one. That broke everypony out of their trance and they started working too. Dash ignored her straining wings, and worked herself until she was breathing in heavy gulps of air, catching up from her daze this morning, and surpassing it. With the clouds tamed, everypony would see a bit of blue, with just enough sun to warm their backs. It looked like it was gonna be another beautiful day in Ponyville.

As soon as she was done, Dash darted over to her supervisor. “Ms. Sunrise, ma’am,” Rainbow Dash said sharply. “I finished my section of the sky. Is it alright if I leave early today?”

The floofy haired Strawberry raised a single eyebrow, but she marked on the time sheet, and said, “Sure thing, Rainbow Dash. In fact, you can take tomorrow off too.”

“What?!” Dash exclaimed in sudden terror, “What’d I do wrong? I don’t want—”

“No, no you’re not in trouble!” her boss said in response waving her hoof holding the clipboard, “You’re just far enough ahead you can take a break. You did tomorrow’s work, today! You been working yourself real hard lately, especially for such a young mare. I just...” With a worried look in her pale olive eyes, Strawberry said, “Just take care of yourself, okay?”

Rainbow Dash nodded solemnly, and headed off. She was pretty exhausted, come to think on it. It wasn’t anything she wasn’t used to though, right? Some weird things were definitely going on here, but she figured it’d all be cleared up by the end of this afternoon. Rainbow Dash might not have been smart enough to figure it out, but she knew somepony who was.

So once again, Rainbow Dash had to fly down to the tree library where one of her best friends lived. Rainbow Dash stopped in front of the open library door, working out her wings as she rubbed at her sore pecs. She didn’t pause any longer than to groan at her uncharacteristic weariness. Barely half the day was over. Dash practically just woke up, but already she felt like going and finding somewhere to lie down and sleep. Rainbow Dash wasn’t gonna do that when she still had things to do though. So with her light blue hooves soon clopping on the wooden floorboards, Dash craned her neck around uneasily inside the building, seeking out the librarian.

“Twilight, you here?” Dash called out, suppressing a yawn, and in response she heard the distant surprised yelp of her friend, followed by the thunder of falling books. Frowning, Rainbow craned her ears in that direction, saying, “Twilight?” But then Twilight bamfed into existence like right in front of her. Rainbow Dash reared back while her lavender unicorn friend said,

“Rainbow Dash! So nice of you to visit! Hello! My good friend Rainbow Dash, what brings you here to the library? Something normal, like checking out a book, or showing off your new trick, right? Nothing dangerous, strange or alarming?”

Twilight didn’t look so good either. She had heavy bags under her eyes, like when she forgot to sleep for a few days from studying too hard. Or... more than a few days. Her mane looked like it hadn’t been brushed in equally as long, stray locks of hair jutting out at odd angles. And her eyes looked... scared. No, terrified.

“Twilight?” Dash said, leaning towards the unicorn, “Is something the matter?” But as she leaned, that made Twilight spook on the spot, jumping back in place with a frightened squeak.

“N-no, nothing’s wrong!” Twilight said, and it didn’t take Applejack to tell that she was lying. “I’ve just been really hitting the books lately, and boy do I need to go sleep it off. So if you’ll excuse me, I have a nap to get to.”

“Well, you do look pretty beat,” Rainbow said to the unicorn in concern. “Have ponies kept acting weird around you too, ever since we kicked Discord’s butt?”

“Oh, yes, yes ponies have been acting weird,” Twilight said quickly, “It’s just a lingering effect of Discord’s influence,” she told Dash. “Nothing to be concerned about. Just keep being who you are, and other ponies will get over it, and everypony will stop acting weird.”

“Being who...? Look,” Dash facehooved. “I actually made Drizzle cry yesterday. Drizzle.

“What?! What did you do to her?” Twilight squealed, getting in Rainbow’s face again. “You didn’t feel like it was unusually satisfying, did you? You aren’t going to make a habit of—”

“Jeez, mare, back off!” Dash said in frustration, pushing Twilight away. “You’re acting just like everypony else! My coach said the same thing!”

Dash put a hoof on Twilight’s withers, saying seriously, “You know me, Twilight. Do you really think I would feel anything but horrible for making somepony cry?”

“Yes, yes I... I know... you,” Twilight stated thin-lipped. “And there is no way you would do that. I was just testing you, don’t worry. Your coach will come around. You just have to keep doing what you’re doing, and don’t get into any sort of a negative mindset.”

“I already am in a negative mindset,” Dash said with a strained voice, “Because everypony’s acting so weird!

“Oh, oh no,” Twilight remarked. “I mean, oh that’s nice. And not alarming at all. Now if you’ll excuse me, I really have to go sleep this off. Studying way too long.”

The purple unicorn turned and trotted away without another word, heading downstairs while a flustered Rainbow Dash shouted after her, “You sleep in the basement?!”

“Yes!” came Twilight’s clear voice from deep within.

Author's Note: