• Published 28th May 2016
  • 4,568 Views, 663 Comments

Pony Postscripts - MythrilMoth



Short postscript scenes intended to address loose plot threads, discuss endings, and so forth from various episodes of the show.

  • ...
31
 663
 4,568

PreviousChapters Next
A Canterlot Catastrophe [S2: "A Canterlot Wedding"]

The wedding reception had long since wound down. The bride and groom had departed hours ago. Most of the guests had dispersed to their own homes or their rooms at the castle. Twilight Sparkle was curled up in an orderly but exhausted pile in a corner of the garden, fast asleep. A low-hanging cloud floating near the DJ's stand had a rainbow tail hanging limply over one side. Pinkie Pie had long since taken over for her friend DJ PON-3, but her eyes were drooping and the hoof she was pumping in the air sagged listlessly.

Princess Celestia sat at a table in the corner opposite Twilight Sparkle, nursing a half-eaten piece of wedding cake and a glass of sparkling cider that had long since stopped sparkling. Her eyes were clouded; her muzzle was set in a grim expression of consternation and woe.

Princess Luna descended gracefully next to her. "Sister? You really should be getting to bed soon, if you are to raise the..." She trailed off. "Sister? Are you well?"

Celestia sighed. "How did I fail so spectacularly, Luna?"

Luna frowned. "To defeat Queen Chrysalis? You were taken unawares, and she had soaked up quite a bit of true, pure love to power her—"

Celestia raised a hoof. "That isn't what I meant," she said. She looked across the garden at Twilight. "Twilight Sparkle knew something was wrong. She knew the wedding shouldn't proceed. She knew the false Cadance was evil." Her ears flattened against her skull as she turned sad eyes on her sister. "How did I not know?"

"Celestia—"

Celestia shook her head. "Luna...Twilight's memories of Cadance are all from when she was a young filly, as a foalsitter. I have known Cadance most of her life. I raised her." She took a long sip of her flat, almost tasteless cider. "Should I not have seen that something was off? Shouldn't I have known Cadance had been replaced by an impostor?"

Luna looked down at the table, her eyes clouded. After a long moment, she said, "Sister...she fooled Shining Armor. If she could fool the pony who loves Cadance so deeply, the pony who committed himself to spending every day of his life together with her, then it stands to reason she could fool even you."

Celestia frowned. "Shining Armor's entire life is barely a blink of an eye to me. I am not perfect—I have made mistakes, and some of them have been truly stupendous—but my years and experience should give me enough wisdom and insight to...to at least suspect—"

Luna gently cuffed Celestia's head with a hoof. "You did not see my betrayal coming until it was too late," she said. "You've told me of Sunset Shimmer, and how you blinded yourself to her growing arrogance and disdain until it was far too late to salvage her." She looked down at the table. "And...I read your journal. I know about Mirror Sombra."

Celestia's mouth set into a grimace; she hung her head in shame, hot tears prickling at the corners of her eyes.

"Love is your greatest strength, Celestia," Luna said. "Your love makes you a gentle, compassionate, wise, and forgiving ruler. You value friendship and harmony above all else, and Equestria stands strong, whole, and at peace because of your wisdom and gentle leadership. But sometimes..." She looked away. "Sometimes, love can blind you. Sometimes, you can't see what you need to see because..." She trailed off.

Celestia sighed. "I suppose," she said heavily. "Still. It bothers me that I didn't notice anything amiss." She chuckled mirthlessly. "For Twilight Sparkle to have better judgment than I..."

"Well, being an overprotective and jealous little sister seems to have had as much a role there as not," Luna said with a smirk. "At least, if I understand the events of recent days."

"True," Celestia said. "Still, her fierce dedication to her brother, to her friends...and to have sensed something even I failed to see..."

Luna glanced over at Twilight, a mild frown on her face. "So...you believe she is ready, then?"

Celestia's left ear flicked as she followed Luna's gaze. "Not yet," she said. "But soon." She smiled fondly. "Very soon."

PreviousChapters Next