• Published 9th May 2016
  • 4,497 Views, 503 Comments

Quantum Gallop - Goldfur



The youth of House Path are abruptly whisked away to a Ponyville where a tyrant queen rules absolutely, and the alliances with Griffonia and the Changeling Hives have never been forged. Who has changed history and how do they fix it?

  • ...
17
 503
 4,497

Chapter 16 - Team Growth

“You have got to be kidding me!” Pif exclaimed as she stared incredulously at Hype.

Hype shrugged. “No, I really have never been in a hive network.”

Pif was lost for words for a long moment. “But… you… Dad… er, Mom… you’ve got to have linked up!”

“Well, we have our bond, I suppose, but that’s all. Come to think of it, that’s what I was missing while we were in the past. I seem to have re-established that with this History’s Free Agent. Is it like that?”

Pif rolled her eyes. “Yeah, sure; your bond is like a hive link, just like a match flame is like the sun.”

“Oh. Well, I’ve heard of the hive networks of our allies, but I’ve never explored that because we didn’t have a hive of our own. With just Mom and myself, there just didn’t seem to be any point.”

“No point? Sheesh! I hate being disconnected from our hive network. It’s so much a part of being a changeling that if it wasn’t for Dad growing up a griffon, I wouldn’t have believed that it was possible. I’m going to have to link you into ours as soon as possible.”

“No, you’re not,” Path interjected.

Pif looked at her father curiously. “Huh? Why not, Dad?”

“I got lost in Dianthia’s network the first time that I was linked up to it. Even though Hype is a changeling, she needs to be introduced to a network gradually if she has zero experience with one.”

“Oh, I see.” Pif nodded thoughtfully, and then brightened. “I know – I’ll hook her up to my research mini-network. With just twelve drones in it, it will ease her into the experience. After that, I’ll add on my nine intelligence operatives. By then she should be ready for the full experience, and I’ll be there to guide her around.”

“Let me know when you’re ready to do that,” Free said. “I’m going to block her off until then. I really don’t want to have to mind-dive after her like I did with Path.”

“Okay, Dad,” Pif replied.

“That’s weird, you know?” Hype said.

“What is?”

“You calling your mother, Dad.”

Pif grinned. “He’s almost always in male form, and been a father to me, so I have very rarely called him Mom. What’s going to be really weird is you calling him, Mom, and Mama Twilight, Dad.”

There was a murmur of agreement from the others.

Hype shrugged. “That’s what they are – current gender has nothing to do with it.”

“Hi, everybody!” came a cheery call from the doorway. “Hello – this is new.”

Destined got up to greet Silk who had just finished work and had come to the castle to have dinner with the family. After giving him a hug and a kiss, Destined turned to Hype and said, “This is my fiancé, Silk Touch. Silk, this is Hypotenuse, Hype for short, and my brand-new sister.”

“A pleasure to meet you at last,” Hype said.

Silk smiled back at her and said, “Sounds like there’s quite a story to this, Des.”

“We’ll tell you all about it over dinner, but the short version is that we’ve just returned from another History fix.”

“And I missed it? I don’t know whether to be relieved or disappointed.”

Citrine grinned. “They brought home the best bit anyway!”

Pif poked the crystal pony. “Calm down, girl. She might have other ideas, y’know?”

“Never hurts to ask,” Citrine replied unrepentantly.

“You’ll get used to that,” Silk said to Hype sympathetically.

“I was beginning to wonder,” the Chrome Changeling replied.

“So, how long were you gone this time?” Silk asked Destined.

“Only a few days; long enough to miss you though.”

“That’s sweet of you. I’ll do something special for you tonight to make up for those days.”

Just then, Spike came in to announce that dinner was ready to be served, and that everyone should make their way to the dining room.

As the family trooped out into the hallway, there was a flash and bang of teleportation, and the Lunar Princess appeared. She smiled at seeing everyone and said, “Good evening, everypony. My timing is perfect, it would seem.”

Path chuckled. “You always seem to know when we’re about to eat. Anypony would think that you joined our herd for the food,” he said as he walked over to the alicorn to give her a kiss on the cheek.

“I have heard worse reasons over the centuries,” Luna riposted as she returned his favor.

Twilight, Free, and Roseclaw all came over to give their herdmate an appropriate greeting too. They then continued on to the dining room, but not before Luna spotted Hype. An eyebrow raised in curiosity was all the reaction she gave, confident that she would soon hear all about this new changeling. She made it a point to find a place at the table that was close to Hype though, and smiled benignly at her as the servants brought in the food and served it up.

Hype was a little overwhelmed by having Luna sitting across the table from her, sharing their mealtime just like she was just an ordinary pony. Although she knew the Princess from the many royal occasions and meetings with Twilight, the Alicorn of the Moon had always seemed like an untouchable near-godlike being. But here she was chatting and laughing along just like a member of the family… no… as a member of the family. Technically, Luna was now her herd-mother too after she had been welcomed into the same family. She was still boggled by that thought. She hoped that the Princess wouldn’t catch her staring!

“You’re staring,” came a deep feminine voice from beside Hype.

The golden dragoness smirked at Hype as the Chrome Changeling blushed at being caught out. “I can’t help it,” she admitted. “Even after being told about this family by the others, it all seems so surreal.”

Cinder nodded understandingly. “It was a bit of a culture-shock to me also when I first joined House Path, and they didn’t even have Luna in the family then. Don’t worry – she doesn’t bite, and the rest will become familiar also.”

“Even that?” Hype asked as she inclined her head towards Spike who was seasoning his food with crushed rubies. “I grew up with Spike as my big brother, but this one has never known me. He seems to regard me as some sort of weird doppelganger of Pif, and his emotions are all over the place. Does he dislike changelings?”

Cinder guffawed. “Hardly! In fact he championed the cause of changelings along with Mama Twilight. I’m afraid that all you’re dealing with is just a very young and confused dragon. Once he figures you out, he’ll be fine.”

“He’s older than me though!”

“Surely you realize that we dragons age a lot differently from ponies, or even changelings? That’s both mentally as well as physically. I’ve never told Blue my actual age because of that, but I’m sixty-eight years old – double that of Blue. Yet by dragon standards, I’m younger than him!” She snickered. “I was barely of mating age when we met, and my mother was extremely surprised that we decided to have children when I was so young. I hadn’t even reached my first century yet! It’s going to be interesting when she finally gets to meet her grandchildren.”

Hype closed her eyes and nodded, recalling her past life. “I suppose I know the facts, but when you grow up with a dragon, you don’t really appreciate those differences. Now they’re very much in my face. It makes me feel a bit awkward.”

“More awkward than a dragon mating a pony in a mixed pony, griffon, and changeling family?” Cinder pointedly asked.

“Umm… you’ve got me there.”

Cinder guffawed. “Let me tell you later about the stupid things I did when I first met Blue. You’ll feel a lot better about your situation.”

Hype smiled. “Thanks – I’d appreciate that.”

“You’re welcome. Now eat up before some ravenous pony eats your share of the food.”

“Or dragon?”

Cinder grinned toothily. “Now you’re catching on!”

Pif had been listening with half an ear to Hype and Cinder’s conversation, but most of her attention was on Glenn and Watchful who were awkwardly stealing glances at each other, and she tasted the emotions that the griffon was leaking out profusely. She turned to Destined and pointed discreetly at the two, and said quietly, “Are you aware…?”

Destined nodded. “Yep. I wonder if I looked that silly while I was getting the hots for Silk?”

Pif grinned. “Worse, because you were pretending it wasn’t happening.”

Destined blushed a little before replying, “Do you think it’s puppy-love? They’ve barely known each other for a few days.”

“Maybe, but Glenn’s feelings are strong. It’s a pity that I can’t gauge Watchful’s directly, but plain old-fashioned observation tells me that she likes what she sees. Give it a while longer and see what happens.”

Hype’s attention was drawn to their conversation. “I talked with Watchful, and she’s uncertain but desires more. If Glenn is serious about his affections, I believe they could make good partners.”

Pif nodded. “Yeah. That’s the thing with changeling Harvesters – they really get invested in any relationships that they make with somepony, or somegriff in this case. Glenn could do a lot worse than having a changeling lover.”

“Number one best choice!” Citrine declared, giving Pif a hug. “Wanna threesome, Hype?”

Pif rolled her eyes. “Chill out, Citrine. You’re making my new sister uncomfortable.”

“But not you, am I right? Go on, you can admit it to me!” Citrine said with a grin.

“I am not making out with my half-sister!”

Citrine smirked. “That leaves her just to me then.”

Hype looked at Citrine askance before she asked Pif, “Is she always like this?”

“Pretty much,” Pif said with a resigned shake of her head. “But that’s part of her charm. She dragged me out of being a reclusive stick-in-the-mud. Now I hope to never be without her.”

“Aw, I love you too,” Citrine said, giving Pif a big kiss on the cheek.

Hype smiled as she tasted the flood of love coming from the crystal pony. “Are you thinking of having children yet?”

“Whoa!” Citrine exclaimed. “Let’s not be too hasty! We’re young and life is grand, so let’s explore that before settling down.”

“I’m with Citrine on this one. Between my work and my relationship with Citrine, I don’t really have time for children at the moment.”

“But you’re a queen and you have the resources of a hive, so why not take advantage of that?” Hype asked.

“Were you raised in a hive? I wasn’t, and I have no intention of subjecting any children that I have with Citrine to a hive upbringing. Biology says that eventually I’ll go into breeding mode and make drones of my own, and they’ll grow up in the hive, but not my real kids. I might not want to have them now, but when I do, they’ll be part of this family, and not foisted upon hive workers.”

Hype considered her own upbringing and realized that Pif was right. “I know that I’m glad to have had loving parents and a family. I withdraw my suggestion. While I’m stumbling around making faux pas, I might as well ask Destined if he plans to have foals?”

Destined blushed. “We’re both stallions!” he objected.

“Being the wrong sex didn’t stop my parents,” Hype pointed out.

“Not talking about this!” Destined said firmly.

Silk grinned and reached over to pat Destined on the hoof. “Don’t worry, dear – when the time is right, we’ll decide which one of us gets to be the mare.”

Destined’s blush deepened until you would swear he glowed. Those listening to the conversation started laughing, and Silk chuckled at his fiancé’s reaction.

“Sorry, love, but I couldn’t resist.”

Destined raised his eyes to meet those of Luna, who was trying to stifle a giggle behind a hoof. “Mama Luna, get me out of this, please!”

With a smile still on her face, Luna nodded and decided to let him off the hook. “As thou hast not heard the latest news, I will update thee. Word has come back from our ground forces that they are halfway to the borders of Zebrica. Supply lines have been successfully set up, and on the morrow, our first wave of airships will depart to bring more equipment and reinforce the pegasus squads guarding the troops. It shall not be long before we bring the fight to Chrysalis at last.”

Blue spoke up. “Have you noticed the change in Chrysalis’ priorities? First she was trying to change her past losses to wins, then she was trying to get her daughter back, but now she’s directly targeting us. It’s become a lot more personal now that she’s become aware that it us who have been foiling her.”

Luna frowned. “She is aware? How dost thou know this for certain?”

Lucida answered, “From the mouth of the agent we caught. Before he tried to kill us, he told us and declared that House Path would fall.”

“That is most unsettling. We have lost an advantage, and House Path has become a target. We must prepare for that eventuality.”

Blue said “Speaking of that, I believe that I should be doing more about heeding the vision that said that I had to grow stronger.”

“How dost thou intend to do so?”

“I’ve been thinking about that, and it occurred to me that I gained the ability to absorb and store energy back when I was on that trip to the Dragon Lands while I was barely more than a colt. I don’t think it was an accident after all – I think I was being prepared for this moment.”

“What?!” Twilight exclaimed. “You can’t tell me that nearly getting killed was part of a plan?!”

“The getting almost killed part, no, but taking advantage of the healing ritual to open up my mana channels so that I could work with Des to time-travel – that seems more than likely.”

“How could anyone know it would be needed?”

Blue shrugged. “Prophecy? Divine foresight? How did Auntie Celestia know that Nightmare Moon would be freed from her prison on the Moon on that particular night? Foretelling has played a major part in our history. Anyway, I think that I need to go back there and train myself to be able to take in more power.”

“No.”

“Huh? Why not?”

“The last person to do anything remotely like that was Tirek. I don’t want to see that happen to you.”

“You’re comparing me to Tirek?” Blue asked incredulously.

“You don’t think Tirek started off as a heartless monster, do you? His brother, Scorpan, has told us about Tirek as a youth, and how close they used to be. He used to be a good-natured centaur until he discovered his talent for taking in magic, but he was corrupted by it and grew evil. I won’t let the same thing happen to you.”

“I won’t let it happen, Mama. I am a warrior-scholar of House Path, and I am sworn to protect it and all those threatened by powers that they cannot defend against.”

“You can’t know how it will affect you; it’s too risky!” Twilight objected.

“It hasn’t affected me so far. I believe that I have been chosen for this!” Blue replied sternly.

“I won’t let you go!”

“Don’t do this to me, Mama!”

Lucida said, “I think Mama Twilight has a point, Blue.”

Luna shook her head. “Nay, I have witnessed more, and I believe Blue Streak has the right of it.”

Twilight rounded on the Moon Princess. “Luna! Surely you can’t side with him?! You witnessed what happened with Tirek.”

“Aye, and I know what one young alicorn did with the power of four. Wert thou corrupted? Didst thou not give it all up for the greater good? Have faith in thy son.”

“Alicorn magic is aligned with our Aspects as avatars of Harmony. Blue seeks to store wild mana, raw magic that has no alignment. It is totally different! Free – back me up here!”

Free grimaced. “Twi, remember the battle at the Crystal Kingdom? I not only had my power and the love energy that I was getting from the Crystal Heart, but in the final battle, I had yours, Path’s, and Roseclaw’s as well. I handled it, and I can’t see why Blue can’t either.”

Twilight looked aghast. “Not you too? Rose, what about you? What do you think?”

“Blue Streak is a powerful warrior who should not be limited in his efforts to protect our House and Equestria,” Roseclaw answered. Blue started to smile, but Roseclaw continued. “However, this is an unknown quantity, and too much of a risk for our son. I do not agree that it is in our best interests.”

“I think Mom might be right,” Lucida said. “We’ve already seen how things can so easily go wrong. Blue has enough power already to cope with the time travel needs.”

“There! You see!” Twilight said triumphantly. “Even your sister agrees with me.”

Blue looked frustrated. “I never said it was without risk, but we’re fighting a war here. Risks have to be taken! Dad – you know I’m right, don’t you?”

Path sighed. “You’re all right, but Blue is correct. We did not want this, but Chrysalis has turned this into a battle for our very existence. Risks can and must be taken. I am siding in favor of Blue.”

Blue’s relief was palpable. “There – it’s settled.”

Twilight slammed her forehooves on the table. “No, it isn’t! By my authority as a Princess of Equestria, I am forbidding this!”

Luna scowled. “Twilight, thou art not the only Princess here. Thou hast invoked thine authority, so thou dost force me to do the same. I favor Blue Streak’s quest. We are thus tied.”

“Then I will take this to Princess Celestia and Cadance if I have to!” Twilight shouted.

“Do what thou dost believe is right, but I will do so as well.”

Twilight fumed, but nodded reluctantly.

Blue got up and said, “Pardon me – I seem to have lost my appetite. Coming with me, Cinder?”

Cinder reluctantly put down what she had been eating and said, “Coming, my love.”

There was a pall left over the dining table which inhibited conversation until Hype eventually said, “I can honestly say this never happened at my family dinners. I think the worst Dad ever did was scold me for not doing my homework.”

“Education is important,” Twilight mumbled.

Free put his arm around Twilight as he chuckled. “That’s my Sparkles! Cheer up, Twi – it’s not the end of the world.”

“Yet!” Twilight retorted. “Big help you were.”

“I love you, Twi, but I still gotta do what I think is right. Doesn’t mean that I won’t do my best to make sure Blue survives his ambitions.”

Twilight sighed and leaned against Free’s shoulder. “So will I, Free. So will I.”

Path looked at Hype and said, “I hope this incident hasn’t soured you on joining this family.”

Hype shook her head. “Don’t forget that I can taste the emotions of everyone. All your passion and strong words just show how much you care. I cannot think of any other family that I would rather join.”

# # #

The next day, Blue stormed out of Canterlot Castle, lips pressed tightly together, glaring furiously at anyone who dared get in his way. Even hardened Royal Guards gave him a wide berth as he made his way through the Great Hallway and out the front gate. As soon as he was clear, he activated his magitek wings and took off towards Ponyville.

Cinder had been following close behind, along with Destined, Lucida, Pif, and of course Watchful. They took off in pursuit of Blue.

It was several minutes before Twilight also emerged from the castle, accompanied by the Alicorn of the Moon. “I’m sorry that it had to be this way, Luna, but I believe that Celestia and Cadance’s support of my views is justification for my ban.”

Luna sighed. “My sister has been a wise and loving ruler for centuries, but I must remind thee that she is not infallible. And I must point out to thee that thine own brother sided with Blue Streak. Let us hope that the right decision has been made this day.”

Twilight winced at the memory of her clash with Shining Armor. “So do I. We will see you for dinner tonight, I hope?”

“Of course. Just because we disagree on some matters does not mean that we are not still a united herd.” She yawned widely. “However, this is one princess of the night who needs her sleep. I will see thee later.”

“Sleep well, Luna,” Twilight said as she nuzzled her herd-mate. Then, as Luna walked back into the castle and her royal suite, Twilight lit up her horn and teleported home.

# # #

To Cinder’s surprise, Blue did not head to Twilight’s castle, but instead went to the Chrome Hive. They did not use the public entrance though, but instead took a side entrance that was restricted to the Chrome Changelings and a few select exceptions. Naturally Pif had unrestricted access, but her siblings were also exempt. Watchful had been granted special access privileges in order to do her duty, and the changeling guards at the door allowed them through without hesitation. Pif fell in step with Blue and they made their way down to her own section of the hive. Most of that was occupied by the various research facilities, but one room was furnished with a variety of chairs, sofas, and lounging mats. Blue threw himself onto the biggest sofa, lay his head on his crossed forelegs, and fumed.

The others took up various seats and silently kept him company. Soon a drone entered, pushing a trolley laden with refreshments that had been summoned by Pif via the hive’s network. When the drone had departed, Lucida spoke up.

“What are you going to do now, Blue?”

Blue growled and replied, “You tell me – you supported Mom’s views.”

“Yes, I did. I was asked my opinion and I gave it. That doesn’t mean that I’m right. I learned the hard way that I’m not infallible. So I’m asking again – what do you intend to do now?”

Blue took in a deep breath and huffed. “Lucy, if you’re going to ask, you better be prepared to back me up. If you don’t think you can, you’d better leave now.”

Lucida went over to Blue and put a wing around him. “You’re my big brother, and I will always listen to what you say. I’m only leader of our team because that’s what I’m good at doing, but you have years of experience over me on other things. I’m prepared to back you up if it means keeping our team together and strong.”

Blue looked at her and smiled gratefully. “Thanks, sis. Sometimes I forget that you always had my back before Cinder decided that was her job.”

The dragon snorted a puff of smoke as she choked back a laugh. Lucida smiled before pressing Blue further. “So?”

“I’m going to the Dragon Lands. Last night I told Cinder that whatever the decision, we would be going there today.”

“Not without me, you’re not!” Destined said firmly.

“I’ve already packed for the trip,” Pif said. “You really should guard your emotions better. Besides, Citrine already bet that you would.”

“Citrine knows that Blue’s going?” Lucida asked. “Great. Half the House probably knows by now.”

“Nah! Not quite,” came a cheerful voice from the doorway.

Everyone’s eyes turned to see Citrine there, but not alone. Glenn and Forest followed her into the room, both looking about curiously as this was their first time there.

“How did those two get in here?” Pif asked.

“I told the guards that you asked me to bring them. When you’re the fiancée of their Princess, they tend to believe you.”

Pif groaned. “The way you can manipulate your emotional output, you could make them believe that we’re all pink changelings now. Okay – better question is why are they here?”

“They’re time-team members now. Of course they should come too,” Citrine explained as if it should be totally obvious.

Forest gave them an apologetic grin, but didn’t say anything. Glenn was smiling too, but it was aimed at Watchful. Their changeling guardian smiled back briefly before she forced herself to be properly neutral and alert.

Lucida sighed in resignation. “Now that they’re involved, I suppose they have to come along with us. I’m surprised that you didn’t drag in Silk too.”

“Oh, he’ll be along later,” Citrine replied cheerfully. “He figured that it would take you most of the day to prepare for the trip, so he’ll join you after work. He had some important appointments to keep today, but he’s clearing his schedule after that.”

Blue’s sour mood was lifting with this constant show of support, and he chuckled. “I hope you’re all prepared for a long trip. This probably isn’t going to be like the time-jumps where we can return to the same moment that we left and get on with our lives.”

“I think this is us getting on with our lives,” Cinder said. “Just like it was for me when I first joined the House, life is full of adventurous twists and turns. I, for one, am looking forward to what comes next, and I reckon that it will be good experience for our newcomers.”

Lucida nodded and looked over to Glenn and Forest. “If you’re going to come, we’re still going to give you lessons. The schoolroom has moved, not closed.”

“Understood,” Forest said.

“Just like a long field trip,” Glenn replied.

Blue laughed, recalling his own experiences at their age. “Yep, just like a field trip.”

# # #

Silk had been right in that their preparations had taken them most of the day. This worked out well because they decided that if they left later in the evening, they would not be missed until the morning. They used Pif’s meeting room as a rendezvous point, and various equipment accumulated. Eventually though, someone asked the obvious question.

“How are we going to take all this stuff to the Dragon Lands?” Pif asked. “Not to mention our two wingless team members.”

Blue paused and thought for a long moment before turning to Destined. “If you use my energy store, do you think you could teleport us all there?”

“You’ve got to be kidding me, Blue,” Destined replied. “I’ve only just started getting the hang of doing that, and you want me to go to overload already? Besides, I have never been there, so I can’t target it.”

“Oh, right. Anyone have any suggestions? We’d have to do this by relay otherwise.”

Lucida said, “There’s one other person who has been there. You could try asking Luna.”

“Why didn’t I think of that?” Blue said. “Des, do you think you could persuade her to help us? She was on our side, after all.”

“I can try, but do you think she might balk at defying her sister?”

“There’s always a possibility, but even if she says no, I don’t think she will tattle on us.”

“I’ll ask her after dinner.”

“Well, if that’s settled, I’m going to spend the rest of the day introducing Hype to my mini-network,” Pif said. “My researchers could use a mini-hub while I’m away, just like Zark does for my intelligence group.”

“Do you think she can handle it, Pif?” Destined asked. “She’s never been in one before, after all.”

“She’s a changeling queen, and I’m betting sheer instinct will guide her. Don’t worry – I won’t leave her hooked up if I don’t think she can cope in my absence.”

Pif was about to leave the roof when Free Agent appeared in the doorway and looked around. “Going somewhere?”

“Er… we’re making our own preparations for the coming conflict,” Pif extemporized.

“By going to the Dragon Lands?” Free asked with a smirk. “I might be a reluctant Queen, but I’m not a stupid one. Did you really think that you could do all this and not have it reach my notice?”

Pif sighed and her shoulders slumped. “I thought I had kept it quiet enough, but obviously I was wrong. So – what happens now?”

“Well, Path and I were discussing what alternatives you might have when this came to my attention. How were you planning to get there?”

“Umm… I was going to ask Luna if she could take us there,” Destined replied.

Free nodded. “Good idea – better than anything else that we could think of. Path and I can keep Twilight and Roseclaw distracted while you ask Luna.”

“You’re okay with this?” Lucida asked with a surprised look on her face.

“We don’t like going against your mothers, but we reckon that they’re being overprotective rather than logical in their stance. Staying safe and not taking risks is not what House Path is about though. We’re in the middle of this war whether we want it or not, and we risk losing it if we don’t take every opportunity to defend ourselves and others against Chrysalis and the Nightmare.”

“What about Princess Celestia? She’s certainly not going to like this when she finds out.” Pif pointed out.

Free grinned. “Good thing you sneaky kids didn’t tell Path and me about your plans, right? You can seek her forgiveness after all this is over.”

Pif reached up to throw her arms around Free. “Thanks, Dad,” she said as she hugged him fervently.

“You’re welcome, Pif.”

Destined looked at Lucida questioningly. She nodded in answer to his unasked question, and he turned back to the griffon changeling. “Papa Free, can you and I go see Dad? I think we need to talk.”

# # #

Hype gazed around the mental landscape in awe. A vast library surrounded her, stretching row after row in her mind, and a dozen motes of light flitted between them, pulling virtual books and bringing them to an equally virtual study desk. If she focused her attention on the motes, they resolved into avatars of Pif’s research assistants, each busily working on projects.

“Is this what the main network is like too?” she asked Pif who stood beside her, watching her reactions.

“Yes and no. This library is merely a visualization that is useful for my work group. Because this mini-network is primarily for my research projects, I maintain a link to the main network’s store of knowledge as represented by this virtual library. However, you will find that the rest of the main hive network is very different. You have to realize that the hive-mind is the sum of the Blue Hive’s, and now the Chrome Hive’s, total accumulated knowledge over the centuries, so the depths of that knowledge and all the cross-connections are too great for any one mind to comprehend. Therefore each workgroup maintains a virtual room for their project so that they are not overwhelmed, and they are constantly being created and dissolved again as their need passes. Without a virtual room, you would be confronted by a nearly infinite number of pathways to choose from, and even the Queen who is the hub of the network can only comprehend it in general structure. Papa Free took a lot of time to learn his way around it when he inherited it from Chrysalis. Dad got lost in Queen Dianthia’s network when he first experienced one. I’m starting you off easy with just this mini-network. Once you’re comfortable and familiar with it, I’ll add on my other mini-network, and then ease you into the main one.”

“How do I use this though?”

“Well, you can use it like it’s a real library, but I’ve linked you as a sub-hub, so you’re in direct contact with all the drones in this mini-network, and you can just query them directly instead. For example – Zavak! Have you got that introductory material ready?”

One of the motes resolved into Pif’s head assistant in front of them. “All ready and waiting, Pif.” He looked at Hype and smiled. “Welcome to our network, Princess Hypotenuse.”

“Umm… thanks, but please don’t call me that. Just Hype will do.”

Zavak chuckled. “Just like your sister – she can’t stand formality either.”

“I’ve done nothing except being born into royalty. I don’t feel I’ve earned the title.”

“Well, it’s a slightly different situation within the hive, but I understand. Anyway, Pif has asked me to prepare a study program to ease you into using the hive-mind. I’ll be your personal instructor, but if you have problems outside of the lessons, just give me a call over the link. Pif just showed you how easy it is now that you’ve been connected.”

Hype looked at Pif. “You won’t be doing the instruction?”

“I’m going to be… otherwise engaged,” Pif replied.

Hype frowned. “So engaged that you won’t be able to deal with your own mini-network? What aren’t you telling me?”

Pif snorted in a mixture of frustration and chagrin. “I should have known you’d spot that right away. You’re too much like me despite your inexperience. Zavak was going to let you know later.”

“And you’re still avoiding the question,” Hype pointed out.

“The time-team is going with Blue to the Dragon Lands to train his energy storage ability. This is in direct contravention of Celestia and Twilight’s ruling, so we’re doing this clandestinely. Dad has given his support though. How do you feel about this though?”

Hype thought for a moment before replying. “Well, I’m not happy about defying my Dad, but if Mom wants to see this done, that’s a bit reassuring. However, I’m mostly disappointed that you didn’t ask me to come along.”

Pif smiled and gave her a hug. “I’m sorry that we didn’t tell you too, but we already have too many in the team, and you’re too new to this alternate world. You really need to fit yourself in here before you venture out again. Besides, if you really want to help, you can delay the discovery of our absence by impersonating us.”

“I suppose that’s no less of a defiance of orders than going with you. I’ll do my best. Mom will probably help me with that anyway.”

“Probably. I don’t know if I’m ever going to get used to you calling him ‘Mom’ though.”

Hype laughed. “It’s just as odd to me too when you call him Dad, you realize?”

Pif grinned. “I know. Anyway, I’ll leave you in Zavak’s capable hooves for now. I’ll come for you when it’s time for dinner.” With that, Pif’s avatar disappeared from the virtual library.

“Shall we begin?” Zavak asked.

“Oh, yes. Let’s show my sister that I’m not quite so helpless in this new world,” Hype replied with a fierce smile.

Oh, great – now I’ve got two of them!’ Zavak thought with a mental groan.

# # #

The atmosphere was subdued that evening at dinner time, and Twilight and Roseclaw rightly put it down to their ban on Blue’s training. What conversation there was carefully avoided that subject, and they stuck to harmless gossip and banalities. The family members split up earlier than usual with various excuses, but Twilight knew that she was being quietly rebuked. Nevertheless she was resolute in her decision.

Blue’s room was getting crowded by the time the last of the team gathered there. They did not have long to wait before Luna knocked at the door and joined them there.

“Path hath updated me on thy plans, Blue Streak. Thou dost desire my help in getting to the Dragon Lands?”

“If it would not be too much trouble?”

“Nay, 'tis not. Considering that thou will do this anyway without my help, 'tis better that I see thee there safely myself.” She frowned, her ears laying back against her head. “And I will impress upon the Matriarch once more that I will not take it kindly if harms befalls thee this time.”

“Thanks, Auntie Luna. When can you do this?”

“I leave for Night Court duties in half an hour. Be ready to depart then. What is thy rendezvous point?”

“The south entrance of the hive – it’s out of direct sight of the castle. We’ll be there with all of our equipment.”

“Very well. Queen Nocturne shall meet thee there on the hour.” Luna then left the room to rejoin the rest of her herd.

“Who's Queen Nocturne?” Glenn asked.

“One of Luna’s alter egos, the living goddess of dragon kind,” Cinder replied. “I never expected to have her as my mother-in-law though,” she added with a chuckle.

“You’ll find out soon enough,” Blue said. “Right now we have to hustle. We need to get all our supplies to the rendezvous point on time, not to mention ourselves.”

“Already on it, Blue,” Pif said. “As we speak, my drones are collecting the equipment to bring it to the south entrance.”

“Let’s go then,” Blue said, heading for the door.

They bid farewell to Hype before carefully exiting Twilight’s castle without being noticed. As promised, they found all their equipment waiting for them at the south entrance, and they only had to wait a few minutes before the top of the hour.

With an abrupt flash of light and blast of wind, a monstrous dragon appeared out of nowhere. There were shouts of alarm among several of the group, and Watchful bravely stepped up to place herself between the huge dragon and those she was sworn to protect.

The dragon smiled down at her toothily. “Peace, Watchful Eyes. 'Tis I, Queen Nocturne.”

Watchful blinked in surprise before sagging with relief. She had been under no illusions about her chances against this mammoth creature.

“Gather together close to your equipment,” Nocturne/Luna instructed. “We must be away.”

“Are you sure that you will be able to find the Matriarch?” Blue asked.

“I left a talisman with the Seer. So long as it is in her possession, I will always be able to find her.”

As soon as the team was in a compact group, Nocturne enfolded them all in her prodigious wings. Magic potential grew enormously until it was released into a huge teleport spell, and a moment later the site was empty once more.

# # #

The team heard shouts and roars of alarm before Nocturne’s wings unfolded enough to reveal a campsite in chaos. The unheralded arrival of a dragon far bigger than the largest among them was more than a little unsettling, even to those who quickly realized who their visitor was. Gradually the uproar died down as the intruders made no hostile moves, and soon two large dragonesses approached and bowed.

“Hail, Queen Nocturne. To what do we owe the honor of your unexpected visit?” the largest said.

Greetings, Matriarch! I bring my nephew and his companions on a quest of great importance,” Nocturne replied in a booming and imperious voice. “It is my wish that thou dost offer them the hospitality of thy clan for as long as it is necessary to fulfill this quest.

“It shall be done, Your Majesty,” the Matriarch replied.

The other dragoness spoke up. “Has Blue Streak heeded the call of the vision at last?”

Nocturne nodded gravely. “Indeed, Seer. I trust that thou shalt see to this task with due care?

“I have been prepared for a long while, Queen Nocturne.”

Nocturne turned her massive head to gaze down fiercely at the Matriarch. “And I trust that I shall not be receiving word of some unfortunate incident as happened the first time that Blue Streak visited you?

The Matriarch, a dragon of no small power herself, wilted under the implied threat from the living goddess. “No harm shall come to Blue Streak nor his companions while they are guests of my clan,” she vowed.

Nocturne nodded in satisfaction. Then she smiled, although even that was intimidating to the lesser dragons who watched and listened in awe. “I also bring unto thee thy newest kin.” She furled her wings to release the team from her protection, and Cinder stepped forward, flanked by Blue. Each of them carried one of their children on their backs.

Cinder stopped in front of the Matriarch and said, “Hello, Mother. May I present to you Eon and Era, your new grandchildren.”

The Matriarch gaped in shock. “How can this be? It is far too soon since you sent word that you had conceived.”

“Our time war can be blamed, mother. I will explain in more detail later. Meanwhile, would you like to hold your grandkids?”

Cinder lifted Era off her back and held her up for the Matriarch, while Blue did the same with Eon. The great dragoness held out her hands and they placed the youngsters in them. Her talons curled protectively around them as she lifted them up to gaze at them from close up. She took in their unusual blend of draconic and pony features, and she smiled as they gazed back at her fearlessly. Tears welled in her eyes as she said, “They are beautiful. You have done me proud, my daughter. You too, son-in-law. I dared not hope that your union would bring me such wonderful treasures.”

Blue smiled in deep satisfaction. As soon as a dragon regarded someone as a treasure, you could be sure that they were beloved family. Eon and Era would have the protection and care of the whole clan now.

When she judged the moment was right, Nocturne announced, “I must leave you now. Other concerns demand my time. However, do not hesitate to call me if the need occurs. We face a dreadful enemy, and there is no knowing where and when she will strike. I bid you all farewell.

Nocturne’s magic grew again, and the gigantic dragoness disappeared in a flash and a boom that echoed from the nearby hills.

The Matriarch looked more closely at the group left behind, noting the odd mixture of species. “The Seer warned me that Blue Streak might join us, but she made no mention of such a large entourage.”

“We’ve all been involved in the time war,” Cinder explained. “Let me introduce them to you, and explain what part they have played so far…”

# # #

Path was settled on the large couch in the family room with Roseclaw on one side of him and Twilight on the other. While the alicorn was preoccupied with a book, the earth pony and the griffoness were primarily preoccupied with each other. The three of them looked up from what they were doing when Destined and Silk entered the room.

“Silk and I are calling it a night,” Destined told them.

“Goodnight,” Twilight said, echoed by Roseclaw.

“Sleep well,” Path said.

The two left, and a minute later Hype walked in. “Pif introduced me to her mini-network today, and I’m worn out from learning how it works. I’m going to bed now. Goodnight Dad and Mom. You too, Mama Roseclaw.”

The three wished her goodnight, and Hype left.

Half a minute later, Free came into the room, carrying a snack that he laid on the coffee table. “Anyone seen Hype? She’s been tickling the edges of the hive-mind, and I want to give her some advice before she goes to bed so that her dreams don’t carry over.”

“She was just here a moment ago,” Roseclaw replied. “She’s probably in her room by now.”

“Oops! Better catch her while I can. Back in a few minutes.” Free trotted out of the room.

Moments later, Blue and Cinder walked in.

“Where’s Papa Free going in such a hurry?” Blue asked Path.

“Trying to catch up with Hype before she retires for the night,” Path replied. “She’s tired and going to bed early.”

“Yeah, it’s been a long day. Cinder and I might do the same. Goodnight, Dad. Goodnight, Mama Roseclaw.” Blue pointedly ignored Twilight.

Twilight sighed. “I know that you felt strongly about this, Blue, but I had to do what I felt was right for the good of the family.”

Blue merely snorted and turned away.

Cinder said, “Give him a little time to get over this, Dad. We’ll work this out eventually.”

Twilight’s brow raised in surprise. “Since when did you start calling me Dad?”

Cinder was startled, and Blue gave her a sharp look. “Umm… just trying to make a joke to lighten the mood. Like how Hype keeps calling you Dad when you’re a mare.”

Twilight’s eyes narrowed. “Where are Era and Eon? You know how I like to tuck them in at night.”

“They… umm… they’ve been put to bed already. They were cranky and tired, so we put them down.”

“Right. I see.”

Twilight’s horn lit up with a spell, and she cast it on the two. Abruptly their forms changed to reveal Hype and Free in their natural changeling forms.

Free rolled his eyes and said, “You’re a terrible actress, Hype. I told you not to say anything.”

“I’ve never done this before!” Hype protested.

“Someone had better tell me what’s going on right now!” Twilight said warningly. “Where’s the real Blue?”

Free sighed as he reverted to his normal griffon form. “We were hoping that you wouldn’t find out until tomorrow at the soonest, but he’s gone.”

“Gone?! Gone where?!”

“Do you really need to ask, Twilight?” Path answered.

Twilight started getting up off the couch, her ears laid back and her mane bristling with anger. “I’m going to track him down and bring him back!”

“No you’re not!” Path barked out in his most authoritative voice.

Twilight froze, then slowly turned around to glare at Path. “What did you say?” she hissed.

Path glared back, unintimidated by the alicorn’s ire. “I said that you are going to drop this and let him go.”

“You have no right to order that! It was decided by royal decree that Blue was banned from pursuing that goal.”

“You had no right to bring Celestia and the others into this. This was a herd matter – a House Path matter. As head of this House, the decision was made to support Blue’s quest, but you arrogantly invoked royal privilege and overrode that decision.”

Twilight’s ears laid back and her wings flared. “How dare you! It was not arrogance! It was concern for our son, and for the good of Equestria!” she snarled.

Path folded his arms and returned her glare with a steady and resolute gaze. “Our son is an adult warrior – you cannot baby him! And don’t you think that the rest of us are concerned about Equestria’s fate too? You cannot just blithely override your family’s and your House’s decision.”

“But I did, and the royal decision was won by fair vote – 3 to 2 in my favor. While I’m not surprised that Shining Armor took Luna’s side, that still left Celestia and Cadance supporting me. That is how alicorn rule works – fair and reasoned. You are defying your rightful rulers’ decision!”

Path shook his head sadly. “When did your royal privilege take precedent over our family, Twilight? Your overprotectiveness is tearing us apart, setting one against another.” He turned to see Roseclaw glaring at him. “My own wife is furious with me because she is as bad as you when it comes to our eldest son, but you both should be supporting him, not mothering him now. Luna has defied her sister’s ruling to aid Blue, and you don’t know how much that tore her up too. And you forced Celestia’s hoof also. She knows how prophecies work, and she knows that Blue can’t afford to ignore his visions, but you placed her in a position where she had to choose between an unsubstantiated need and a possible threat, and in absolute impartiality she had to choose in your favor. I can guarantee you that she was not happy to do so.”

“But she did, and you must still abide by that decision,” Twilight replied defiantly.

Path sighed. “No, I don’t. You have forgotten that there was one more vote to count.”

“What are you talking about?” Twilight said suspiciously.

“Destined is a Prince of Equestria, remember? Once he found out that Blue intended to go despite Celestia’s ruling, he came to me and told me that he was formally casting his vote in favor of Blue. The vote is tied, therefore the decision reverts back to me. By my authority as the head of House Path, Blue Streak is directed to train himself to meet the challenge that faces us.”

Twilight looked at Path aghast. “No! You can’t do this!”

“Princess Twilight Sparkle, I have spoken! Let me know when my herd-mate is back, Your Highness.” Path then turned away from the alicorn and started to leave the room. He paused next to Free and asked, “Are you coming or staying?”

Free looked over to where Twilight was standing rigid with shock. He shook his head. “It’s going to be real rough for a while, but she needs me now.”

Path nodded understandingly. “Good luck. You’re going to need it.”

Free gave him a half-hearted smirk. “I think you’re going to need it more than me.”

As Path sadly left the room, he knew that Free was probably right. His bed was likely to be very lonely tonight.

# # #

It was too late in the evening to accomplish anything, so the team concentrated on working with their dragon hosts to stow their equipment and find a place to bed down for the night. The tasks were facilitated with a translation spell that Destined had prepared for the trip. While the Matriarch and the Seer were fluent in the pony language, few other dragons knew Equish. Blue’s first trip to the Dragon Lands had provided the alicorn with a lot of useful experience to draw upon and prepare them for their stay.

Two dragons in particular were assigned to help them out – the Seer’s apprentice and Egg Warden, both of whom had spent time at House Path and were familiar with many of the team members. Watchful was surprised to realize that Egg Warden was in fact a changeling of a type with which he was not familiar, but when she tried to warn Lucida, he was surprised again.

“We already know Egg Warden is a changeling. Don’t mention it to anyone else though because with the possible exception of the Seer or the Matriarch, none of the dragons are aware of this fact. He lives among them just like Papa Free lives as a griffon.”

Of course Egg Warden had to be introduced properly to Watchful because he had recognized that the griffoness was a changeling also. Once the two understood where the other stood, they had no problem with each other.

“Just call me Warden for short. I haven’t got any eggs or hatchlings to mind at this time, so I’m available whenever you need me.”

Lucida said, “Thanks, Warden. You might have noticed young Forest and Glenn in our group; both of them are fairly new students at House Path. I plan to give them lessons during our stay here. Can I count on you to help pass on your own experience at the House?”

Warden grinned. “Being a teacher is all part of my job. Sure – I can do that for you.”

The team had an early night, intending to get off to an equally early start the next morning. Their temporary accommodation was crowded, and with zero opportunity for any intimacy, but it had been a tiring day and everyone was soon asleep. Not everyone was completely off-duty though.

While Destined’s body rested, his mind glided through the dreamscape as he had done many times with Luna. He did not know if it was necessary, but if word was to come from Equestria with regards to their clandestine trip while they were sleeping, this was the most likely avenue it would come by. He was therefore unsurprised when Luna eventually turned up, looking rather unhappy.

“Bad news, I take it?” Destined asked.

“Aye. Thy mother saw through Free Agent and Hypotenuse’s ruse, and she is sore wroth with them and me. However, 'tis thy father who suffers most the sting of her ire.”

Destined nodded sadly. “I knew that would happen once I caused a tie. That’s why I didn’t want to do it originally until Blue declared that he was going to ignore the ruling. This way he has a legitimate excuse to be here with Dad’s blessing. Dad really put himself on the line to oppose Mom, but that’s his right and his duty. I just hope nothing goes wrong here or Mom will kill him.”

“That is the risk that must be taken, and he chose to do his duty even knowing the consequences. He sleeps alone tonight, but I will endeavor to wind-up my duties promptly tonight so that my herd stallion does not wake up alone.”

“Thanks, Mama Luna,” Destined said as he nuzzled her.

Luna smiled fondly as she nuzzled him back. Since Flix had first called her Mama, his siblings had taken up the appellation, and the Alicorn of the Night could not have been prouder of the title.

“So – should we expect Mom to try to track us down and bring us back?” Destined asked with a little trepidation.

“Nay. Lord Path has made his will firmly known. Despite her anger, I do not believe that she will defy it. Nevertheless I advise thee to call home regularly so that her worries are eased.”

“The first call is going to be a lot of fun,” Destined said in a tone that indicated how much he dreaded making it.

“My advice to thee is to stand thy ground. Thou art an adult now, and a Prince of Equestria. For better or for worse, from this time forth, your decisions will affect our country, and even the world. Be prepared to admit thy mistakes, but be resolute when thou dost make a decision. Sometimes thou will be wrong, but at least be wrong with the conviction of the rightness of thy cause.”

“I’ll try to remember that when I go face the consequences.”

“Pfft! Thou hast not had to deal with Celestia’s pouty-face whenever she is defied.”

Destined stared at Luna for a moment before his face lit up with a grin and he chuckled. “Think you’ll survive it?”

“It will be a struggle, but I have had centuries of practice,” Luna replied with a straight face that lasted mere seconds before it cracked and was replaced with a grin matching Destined’s. “I must go now. Do not hesitate to call upon me if the need arises. Queen Nocturne can get much done in the Dragon Lands.”

“I’ll remember that,” Destined said as he gave Luna one last hug before stepping back from her.

“Farewell, Destined Path – my son.” Luna simply faded away from the dreamscape after that.

Destined soon did likewise.

# # #

Path’s sleep was disturbed by someone lifting the blankets and climbing in beside him. He cracked open one eye to see a glistening ethereal mane framing a face almost invisible in the darkened room. It leaned over to plant a soft kiss upon his cheek.

“Rest well, my stallion. I will be here to share your burden on the morrow.”

Path murmured his thanks and drifted back to sleep.

Luna snuggled her gravid form up to him, content to be with her beloved. She would make sure that his dreams would be pleasant and his sleep undisturbed. He would need his full strength for the day to come.

# # #

To their surprise, breakfast had been prepared for all the team members, even the ones that did not eat meat. A quizzical look from Blue to the Matriarch was enough to prompt an explanation from her.

“You will be travelling with the Seer to meet with the seers of the Southern, Northern, and Eastern Clans. It will require a fair journey, and it would be best for you to start as soon as possible. Break your fast and say farewell to your companions as soon as possible.”

“Can any of them come with me?” Blue asked hopefully.

“No. This is a quest that you must undertake on your own for now. The Seer will explain more later.”

Blue nodded, accepting that for now, and he followed the Matriarch’s advice and ate a hearty breakfast. He briefly discussed what the rest would be doing in his absence before going back to the yurt where his equipment was kept. He strapped on his magitek wings and a small saddle pack, and then came back out to say farewell to Cinder, and give his children a fond nuzzle. The Seer and her apprentice were waiting for him rather impatiently by that time.

“Time is wasting! You’ll see them again tonight when we return… if we even get there at this rate.”

Blue grinned at the Seer’s impatience, but activated his wings anyway. The Seer and her apprentice took off, and he leaped into the air to follow, waving back to his friends and family. “I’ll be back this evening!” The magitek wings hummed as he followed the Seer of the West.

“So – why are we having to fly so far away?” he asked as he pulled alongside the dragon mystic.

“There are two reasons, the first reason of which is that we are going to be pushing a lot of energy into your system. We believe that by pushing you past your current capacity, your body will adapt to handle more power. We are hoping that if we can keep infusing you with it in stages, your capacity will grow enough to be able to handle Bii Bolgokh without being destroyed in the process. That much concentrated power is potentially dangerous to others, so we will be doing it well out of harm’s way.”

Blue looked a little puzzled. “Bii Bolgokh?”

The Seer smiled. “The one you first saw in my yurt when you were just a boy – the one who visited your dreams recently. Your Equestrian concept of Harmony is one that spans the universe, just with different names. Destruction’s champion, the Nightmare, goes by many names, but its driving force is always the same. She has taken Chrysalis as her agent in her latest move to destroy everything. Luckily for you, Bii Bolgokh, the Nightmare’s antithesis, has decided to take you as its champion. He is the Herald to the Creator of All Things. It is why we must all prepare.”

After a long flight, the trio landed at the base of a mountain near what looked like the entrance to a cave.

“Leave your wings and the rest of your equipment here,” the Seer instructed. “You will not need them for what we must do.”

After Blue had divested himself of everything, the Seer led him into what looked like a giant crystal cavern. It was already occupied by three large dragons who had apparently been waiting for them, along with their apprentices who were inscribing runes on the floor of the cave, moving gradually to a central point.

The Seer stopped and bowed to her peers, and they bowed back. She then said to Blue, “The silver one is the Seer of the North, the one with the obsidian scales is the Seer of the Southern Black Dragons, and the Emerald Dragon is the Seer of the Eastern Dragons.” She then faced the others once more. “My colleagues, this is Blue Streak, son of Path, chosen by Bii Bolgokh.”

The seers all roared their welcome, but it was the Southern Seer that talked first. “Blue Streak, the Bii Bolgokh has chosen you to be its champion, but you are still too weak to be his vassal. We hope to solve that. Please sit down in the center of the chamber.”

Carefully avoiding the inscriptions, Blue walked over to the center of the crystal cave and the apprentices started to write runes on his fur, painting him with black ink as he held still.

“So… what kind of side-effects is this going to cause?” Blue asked as he was being prepared.

The Eastern Dragon Seer snapped at him. “It does not matter what the side-effects are – you are going to have the supreme honor of being the vessel and agent of Bii Bolgokh! All that matters is defeating what you call the Nightmare!”

Blue looked back at the Western Seer, and she chuckled. “Right now we will just be expanding your capacity. It should not be any worse than when we had to heal you after the smilodon attack, most likely less so since you have far more self-control now.”

Blue nodded in understanding as the apprentices finished their task, and then moved him until the runes on his hooves aligned with those on the floor.

“Be strong, our young Mana Synthesist,” Blue’s Seer told him as she took her place at the western point of the cave. “Your training begins now!”

The voices of all four Seers rose to harmonies in a chant that reverberated throughout the crystal structure, and the runes on the floor and on Blue’s hide lit up. The raw mana of the Dragon Lands was drawn in and focused on the earth pony, flooding into his open receptors. Blue was used to feeling the power flowing into him as he recharged, but that had been like standing in a placid creek as opposed to the raging torrent that this was. He threw back his head and screamed.

# # #

As soon as Blue had left, Lucida started organizing the rest of their group. She assigned Cinder to head up a team to build some more yurts for both comfort and privacy. It had been a while since the dragoness had needed to do so, but she had not forgotten the techniques. Materials were scavenged or acquired from the other dragons, and she instructed Pif, Citrine, Destined, and Silk in the art of constructing them. While they were doing that, Lucida took aside Glenn and Forest to continue their lessons. Watchful took up a position where she could oversee both groups, but her attention was mostly on Lucida’s class. She found herself interested in the subject, and to her surprise, so were some of the younger dragons.

It amused Watchful to see the dragon youths surreptitiously take up positions around the class to eavesdrop on the hippogriff. She wondered at their motives though. Were they really that interested in the lesson, or had they other reasons? She had not missed the covetous looks that the males had given Cinder, although she was most certainly out of their reach. Could some of them be interested in Lucida now? And if so, did they find her attractive, or were they merely interested in the power she represented? Maybe both? It was hard to tell with dragons; their covetous nature tended to make them look upon every relationship with a view to how it could benefit them. However, they were also very passionate about their loves, so it balanced out.

After a lunch break, Destined had a stint at being the teacher, while Lucida put her talons to use with the yurt construction. A few of the watching youths did not return, but Watchful was surprised by how many remained. Apparently they were interested in the lessons after all? She wondered if it was the novelty or a deeper desire to learn that had brought them back. Later when Warden assisted in a lesson in self-defense, a couple of the youths stepped in as sparring partners.

It was impossible to miss the Matriarch as she approached the class, but because she was not expecting to be addressed, Watchful was startled when the huge dragon spoke to her.

“Will you not be participating as do all the others?”

Watchful’s wings had flung out and her heart hammered for a moment before she calmed down and settled her wings back into place. “I am a guardian. It’s my duty to watch for trouble. While it seems safe enough, this team has been the focus of much trouble lately, so I stay aside and guard.”

The Matriarch was amused by Watchful’s initial reaction, but intrigued by her words. “You are deep in the Dragon Lands, and surrounded by a whole clan of dragons – what peril do you expect to guard against here?”

“One that threatens the whole world. With all due respect to you, Matriarch, I cannot leave their safety to your clan. If one guardian can make a difference, then it remains my duty to watch. I will not let my friends down.”

“Your loyalty speaks well of you, young one. Your place in their team seems well-earned. But does nothing but duty drive you? While we dragons appreciate that, we also pursue our passions. Does nothing set your heart afire?”

Watchful’s gaze turned momentarily towards Glenn before she replied softly, “Maybe.”

The Matriarch followed Watchful’s glance and she smiled. “Good. Speaking as dragon, I would not hesitate to follow my heart. I do not think that it would be so much different for a griffon.”

But is the same true for a changeling?’ Watchful thought as the Matriarch excused herself and continued on to wherever she had been going.

Later, just before sunset, the group was resting at the camp center. They had just started the evening fire for cooking purposes. Cinder was watching her two hatchlings play with the few others that hatched that season when the Seer arrived by herself, looking somewhat puzzled.

“Huh! I thought Blue would be back by now.” She looked around at the curious team-members and explained, “He said that he was going to meet me back here. He just had to take care of some–”

She was cut off as a rumbling in the ground suddenly swelled, and Blue Streak thundered into the campsite with something on his back which was several times larger than himself. He skidded to a halt just short of the campfire.

The male cooks looked up at the pony and blinked in surprise and awe, somewhat wary of him before his hoof reached up and slammed the beast down onto the ground. The Huntmaster’s eyes went wide.

“A-an Alpha Smilodon?!” He gawked at it before he looked at Blue Streak.

“The Clan will eat well tonight. Save the heart and a haunch for my hatchlings,” Blue declared with more of a rumble in his voice than usual. He started to walk toward his friends and they were all a little on edge at this display. “Destined, please watch my hatchlings for a while.”

Cinder blinked. “Why does he need to watch-yeep!” Cinder blinked in surprise as Blue’s hoof grabbed her tail and started dragging her away from the group and into one of the newly built yurts.

“Is… is Cinder going to be okay?” Glenn asked.

Destined patted the griffon on the shoulder reassuringly. “Don’t worry, Glenn – dragons like assertive mates. To her, that’s little more than foreplay.”

Glenn started to blush at the explanation, but Citrine snickered. “I need to use that move on Pif later.”

The Seer was smiling also. “Blue Streak felt the need to burn off the energy that he had accumulated during today’s training. It would seem that the hunt was insufficient.”

Silk chuckled. “Knowing them, the meal will be cooked before they’re done.”

Silk’s prediction turned out to be accurate. When they emerged from the yurt, the dragons were happily feasting on the smilodon meat, as were the meat-eaters in the team.

Blue sat down next to Destined and grinned as he saw his children munching on a haunch that was bigger than them. He reached over and slowly picked the haunch up, but the kids growled and wouldn’t let go, even though they were dangling in the air. Cinder chuckled as Blue lowered it back down and they went back to eating. The pair then joined in the feast.

Later when they were all replete, Blue indulged the curiosity of his companions. “I suppose you want to know what happened to me today?”

“That’s an understatement, blue guy,” Citrine replied. “Does it have anything to do with why your eyes are slit now?”

“Are they? I didn’t know that. Same thing happened the first time I was filled with draconic mana though, so I suppose it was to be expected.”

Silk said, “Your head seems a bit more angular too.”

“They said there might be side-effects,” Blue replied. “We met with the Seers of the Eastern, Northern, and Southern Clans, and the four of them put me through the wringer. By the end of the day, I was bursting with so much energy that I had to bleed some off. I poured a ton of it into my magitek wings and left the Seer far behind on our return trip, and used the time that I gained to do some hunting. I had a little grudge to work out of my system, hence my choice of prey. He didn’t stand a chance. I was amplified like crazy, and carrying the kill back to camp was a breeze.”

“And you still had energy to burn,” Pif said drolly.

Blue smirked even as Cinder grinned. “Yes, you could say that,” he replied.

‘So – how much more training like that is going to be necessary?” Lucida asked.

Blue’s expression became more serious. “The Seers said that we’ve barely begun.”

The team members looked around at each other with concern. After witnessing this evening’s display of power, to hear that it was nowhere near enough was somewhat disconcerting. Blue’s decision to come here and train was looking more and more vital to the success of the war.

# # #

The next day while Blue was away with the Seer, the yurt construction was completed. The simple but sturdy dwellings were easy to put up and take down, which was the whole point when you have a nomadic clan. No one in the team was sure how long they would be there while Blue trained, but at least they had their own places to call home for the time, and the dragons could put them to good use once Blue’s mission was completed.

Left with nothing else to do though, Citrine quickly grew bored. She moped around the campsite for a while before eventually running into a group of dragon youths. Of course youth was relative to dragons – any of them was at least twice as old, some three times, but by pony standards they might as well been Citrine’s peers. It turned out that although they had a more laidback attitude to the passing of time, even they grew bored occasionally.

“So, what do you do for entertainment?” Citrine asked.

“Tell stories,” one said.

“Recount great battles!” another added.

“Court females,” a slightly younger one declared.

There were derisive laughs and the bold upstart was pelted with whatever the other youths, male and female, could lay their talons on.

“Try again in a couple more decades, hatchling,” one of the dragonesses mocked.

Citrine grinned, recalling the advice that Blue had given all the team members not to discuss their age. By their standards, Cinder was practically a cradle-robber! However, the responses had given her an idea.

“Hey, guys, can you help me out? I’ve got an idea I want to try out for this evening, but I need some materials and some willing assistants.”

Several simply weren’t interested in helping the pony, but boredom and curiosity swayed a few. Citrine got her assistants, and went to work on her plans.

The evening of the next day after the meal was complete and the sun had set, the older dragons were mystified as a couple of dragon youths carried an odd structure into the central area of the camp, with Citrine following them while carrying a large box. The youths put the construct down between one of the team’s yurts and the central fire. It was a simple wooden framework about six feet high that had hides attached on two sides and the bottom half of the front, but was open to the back. A couple of blankets hung loosely from the top beam to cover the upper front half. Citrine walked behind the structure and put down the box out of sight before coming back around to face the curious crowd. She looked around and grinned broadly.

“Welcome to the first ever Pony Dinner Theatre! Gather around, young dragons, and the young at heart, while I tell the tale of the Siege of the Crystal City!”

That caught the attention of almost every dragon, including the elders. With the encouragement of Citrine and her helpers, the hatchlings were arrayed in front of what apparently was going to be Citrine’s stage. Several of the youths that Citrine had talked to earlier were curious about what she had built, and they settled down to watch also. Citrine ducked back behind her stage and there was a pause as she readied herself. Then at a word from her, the assistants pulled away the blankets to reveal two hooves covered with crude gloves. One was grey with a small strip of green on top and two black beads stuck near the top. The other was brown with a couple of flaps of material of the same color on the side, and a couple of red tufts on top, as well as two beads.

“Path! Path! I know what Queen Chrysalis plans!” came Citrine’s voice in crude imitation of Free’s as the brown covered hoof was wiggled to look like an excitable griffon.

“What is it?!” replied in a different voice that resembled that of Path as the other hoof reacted to the first.

Pif snorted in amusement as she realized what Citrine was up to. “She’s doing sock puppets!” she said with a chuckle.

“Invasion!” the Free puppet said extra excitedly, dashing back and forth across the stage.

The hatchlings laughed, but the older youths rolled their eyes.

“We have to stop her!” the Path puppet declared.

With just her two hooves and a myriad of sock puppets that must have taken a day to put together, Citrine re-told the saga of the Crystal City invasion from a simplistic and humorous point of view. The hatchlings were enthralled, but remarkably, so were the youths and not a few adults. They had never experienced this form of entertainment before, and the combination of novelty and story kept them engaged.

A deep blue puppet declared, “I am Luna, and I love the night! Watch me smite the changelings! YAAAYY!”

Her assistants each held branches with token changelings dangling from strings. The Luna puppet flailed wildly and the changelings dropped.

Destined laughed and said, “Mama Luna would love this.”

Later in the show, a light blue puppet raced around the stage. “Look how fast I am! Who am I?”

“BLUE STREAK!” yelled several of the audience who had really gotten into the fun and spirit of the play.

“Yes, I am Blue Streak, the fastest in the world. I’ll save you, Dad!”

The Blue puppet smashed into the black puppet with a stringy mane, and the audience gasped as the two crashed down.

The blue puppet was immediately replaced by a purple puppet with wings and horn.

“So fast!” gasped the Twilight puppet. “You saved him!”

When the play was finally over, the applause was enormous. The hatchlings were worn out from excitement, the youths started clamoring to help Citrine with another play, and the adults were smiling, pleased with the entertainment and the happiness of the clan.

“When did Citrine get so good at this?” Destined asked.

Pif was blissfully engorging herself on the positive emotions filling the air, but she replied anyway. “She took acting classes after I made her take some kind of non-physical elective.”

“I would never have expected our brawler to be so good at this. I know she loves to crack jokes and make people laugh, but she took it to a whole new level tonight. With just some crude sock puppets and a lot of imagination, she had practically the whole clan eating out of her hoof.”

Pif smiled proudly for her fiancée. “It’s not what you have but the way that you use it. Citrine has the both the imagination and the knack for story-telling to make it work.”

“I look forward to seeing what she comes up with next,” Lucida said.

Pif smirked. “I look forward to showing her what I plan to do with all this energy she’s fed me with.”

“I know that feeling,” Blue Streak said fervently with a matching grin.

# # #

Although the Western clan was fairly large, it was still a group of nomads that travelled light. That meant that their yurts were hardly fortresses, and they certainly had no walls to keep out dangers. The smilodons were hardly the only dangerous predators out there, and while the older dragons were immune to their attacks, the hatchlings and youths weren’t. Therefore there was always a watch kept at night by several of the dragons. One guard was startled though by a sound coming from the camp behind him late at night, but he lowered his weapon as soon as he recognized the bat-pony who settled down next to him.

“Can you not sleep?” Firestorm asked.

Silk smiled. “Thestrals tend to be nocturnal. Things have been a bit crazy for the past few days, but I’m settling back into a night routine again. It’s a bit quiet and dull at the moment though. Mind if I stay and keep you company?”

“As long as you help me keep watch, that is acceptable.”

“Heh! Thestral night vision is the best on Equus.”

“Oh? What’s making that scratching noise over there?” Firestorm pointed with a talon.

Silk’s ears swiveled toward the sound and he peered in that direction. “Two shrews mating.”

“Really? I can’t make out a thing. I was kind of hoping that it was a predator trying to sneak into the camp.”

“They’re obscured by the bush, but my hearing can differentiate the sounds that they make.”

Firestorm looked at him skeptically. “You’re not just making this up, are you?”

Silk shook his head. “Thestrals are night-hunters. I can’t say that I’ve done much, but my hearing and sight are still keen enough for that.”

“Night hunting? Tell me more about that.”

Silk happily regaled him with tales of his ancestors, not bothering to tell his rapt audience that he personally was a hunter of aches and pains, and not of prey. They chatted for a couple of hours before Silk returned to the yurt that he shared with Destined, ready to sleep at last.

# # #

The clan was in triage mode. The hunting party had been ambushed by a rock ogre as they had landed to capture their prey. Rock ogres were notoriously dangerous because they were nearly impossible to distinguish from the native stone. This one apparently had its eyes on the herd of goats when the dragons had pounced. Being pretty much as invulnerable as the rocks it resembled, it had no fear of dragons, and had immediately attacked. One hunter had been severely injured, and three others hurt trying to rescue her from the ogre’s grasp. The injured one was carried back to the camp by the Huntmaster, as was one of the other three who had a damaged wing.

The Seer was the clan’s healer too, but she and her apprentice were still away with Blue. The injured hunter was in great pain, but they had no one to aid her until Glenn stepped forward.

“I believe I can help her,” the griffon told the Huntmaster.

The big dragon looked at Glenn skeptically. “What do you know of healing dragons?”

“Specifically? Not much. However, I have studied the effects of many herbs and extracts from various sources. I carry around medicines that are suitable for both griffons and ponies, and I see little reason why they cannot be of use here.”

The Huntmaster was surprised. “Why does a griffon prince study healing?”

Glenn gazed back at the dragon levelly. “Why not? I care for the griffs whom I will someday rule. For now, I can use my knowledge of potions to defend and help those I ally myself with.”

The Huntmaster looked to the Matriarch who nodded and said, “Very well – do your best.”

Glenn went to the yurt where his possessions were stored, and came back with a satchel. It unfolded to reveal jars and tubes of various liquids and pastes, as well as some more conventional-looking pills. He started removing some of them from their padded restraints. “Considering the size of the patient, I could do with some bigger bandages. Can someone find something appropriate for me?”

The Matriarch sent off two dragons to search for suitable materials while Glenn got to work. First he held up a bottle which had a squeeze bulb attached to it. Showing it to the patient, he said, “This will clean your wounds to prevent infection. It will sting somewhat, so be prepared.”

The dragoness grunted and nodded in understanding.

Glenn held the bottle close to the biggest wound and started squeezing the bulb with his talons. A fine mist sprayed out and coated the raw wound. The dragoness gasped and her hide shuddered, but she restrained herself otherwise. The griffon worked his way through all her wounds before putting the bottle away.

“The worst part is done,” he said as he pulled out a large jar and a brush from the satchel. “I can now do something about the pain. While I did not want to risk an analgesic that hasn’t been tested on dragons, I do have an alternative. This will numb the area around the wounds so that I can close them up without causing more pain.”

Glenn started brushing on some of the white salve around the wounds, careful not to get any actually on the exposed flesh.

“This might take a little longer to work on you because of your tough hide, but it shouldn’t take too long.”

The dragoness’ face was already relaxing though. “It’s working. The pain is going away quickly. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome. Just a bit more and I’ll be done.” When he was finished, he closed up the jar and carefully set aside the brush. “Be careful not to touch that before I clean it,” he said to his companions who were watching with interest. “It might take a while to affect a dragon, but it will instantly numb any of you.”

Silk said, “Can I borrow it for a minute? I’ll set the broken wing of the other victim, but it will be easier for them if the pain is eased first.”

“Sure, but be sparing with its use. It’s very potent.”

Silk carefully picked up the brush and the jar and then went over to the dragon with the broken wing to treat it.

Meanwhile Glenn took out a large needle and a spool of sterile thread. “Time to stitch you up.” He soon realized that he had a big problem though. He sighed in frustration. “It’s no good – I can’t penetrate her tough hide.”

“I think I can help with that,” Destined said. “Hold up the needle, please.”

Glenn held it up, and Destined lowered his horn to touch it. They both glowed with magic for a few seconds and then stopped.

“Now try it,” Destined instructed.

When Glenn tried this time, it went through her hide like it was merely cloth. He started pulling the wound together with stitches, and asked as he worked, “What spell was that?”

“I adapted a battle spell to make weapons magically sharp enough to penetrate shields… and tough dragon hides,” he added with an apologetic smile to the Matriarch.

She merely gave the alicorn an amused smile back.

Glenn worked steadily until all the wounds were closed up. He then applied an antiseptic ointment to them all. By then, the two dragons that the Matriarch had sent in search of bandages had returned bearing the fruits of their efforts. The griffon was able to bind up all the wounds on the victim’s limbs, but her torso was too big to do the same. He noticed that she grunted and winced when he was binding the wound on her right foreleg.

“Hold out your leg, please.”

She did so, and he carefully exerted pressure. She grunted in pain again.

“Hmm… not broken, but definitely badly sprained, I’d say. You’ll have to stay off this leg for a while. Meanwhile though, a bit more of the numbing salve will help. Silk – are you done with that jar?”

Silk brought over the jar and brush, and Glenn painted the area around the injury. Once that was done, he turned to the Matriarch and said, “She’ll need food and drink now. The Seer might have some other suitable medicines that she can administer when she gets back, but the huntress will be fine.”

“Thank you for your efforts. I am most impressed. Tell me more about this numbing salve.”

“It comes from a plant that defends itself by exuding a paralyzing coating. Anything that tries to eat it will find itself helpless for a long while. If it manages to eat too much, it will die. However, I’ve found a way to take that toxin and process into the anesthetic salve. It has proven very useful.”

“I daresay it has. Does that plant grow here? I think the Seer will be very interested in it.”

Glenn shook his head. “I’m afraid that it only grows in the mountainous regions of Griffonstone.”

“That’s a pity.” She looked around to see that the one with the injured wing had it treated and bandaged up. She noticed that Silk was now working on one of the other hunters who had been battered but not broken. The dragon was laid out on a slab of rock, and the thestral was working his hooves over the hide of the dragon who had an odd expression on his face. “What are you doing, Silk Touch?”

“My specialty – massage therapy. He’s got some deep bruising from the attack, but I can lessen the effects.”

The Matriarch blinked in surprise. “You learn something new from the oddest of sources,” she murmured.

# # #

The next afternoon, the camp was disturbed by the sound of thunder, but while severe storms were not unknown in that region, there currently was not a cloud in the sky. The thunder swelled and ebbed, disappeared and reappeared, sometimes shaking the camp with its intensity.

The Seer and her apprentice returned to a camp that was confused and concerned. There was no sign of Blue with them though. When queried, the Seer smirked and indicated a bundle on her back.

“Blue Streak left his magitek wings with me after deciding to run all the way back here. He was filled with so much energy that he needed to burn off some of it. You already know that he can run faster than we can fly, and what you’re hearing are sonic booms as he circles the camp. Apparently even the distance from the crystal chamber to here was insufficient to use up all the draconic power that he had been filled with.”

Lucida frowned. “If he already has this much, how much more is he expected to improve?”

The Seer merely raised an eye ridge. “We act as Bii Bolgokh has decreed. Ask him how much is enough.”

Eventually Blue raced into the camp, barely breathing hard. Cinder called a halt to the lesson she had been teaching and went over to Blue. She looked him over and said, “You are becoming more a dragon every day, my love.”

“You’re not kidding, Cinder,” Pif said as she took in his changing looks.

The changes that had started on the first day had grown considerably. His blue hooves were now like obsidian, and sapphire scales began where the hoof left off, covering his legs up to mid-thigh. His face had grown more angular, and fangs now poked out from his upper jaw. His slit eyes were now a shimmering gold, and his ears had grown and thickened until they resembled horns. His mane had doubled in length, but his tail had lost most except for a thick tuft on the end. The tail had thickened though, so it did not look out of place. He was looking less and less like a pony, and more like something entirely new.

Destined spoke up. “There are legends of a species that disappeared long before the establishment of Equestria. They were called the Kirin. I’m beginning to wonder if they weren’t a separate species, but a blend of pony and dragon that this world hasn’t seen in millennia.”

“Whatever he is, it’s sexy,” Cinder said with a lascivious smile.

“Call me what you like,” Blue said with a smirk. “Just don’t call me for the next hour or so.” He put a foreleg around Cinder, but she needed no urging to head off to the yurt with him.

Citrine noticed the almost hungry looks some of the other young dragonesses were giving Blue, and she grinned. “If he keeps this up, Cinder’s going to have a fight on her claws with envious females.”

Pif nodded. “I can taste their lust already. Our Blue is a heck of a stud!”

# # #

That night, Citrine decided to change things up a bit. An overcast sky left the area enshrouded in darkness barely relieved by the various fires burning throughout the encampment. When her audience gathered as usual around the central fire, she stood alone without her assistants or her stage. When everyone was ready, she used her crystallomancy skills to charge up some pebbles. She tossed the first into the fire, and it flared up with gold flames.

Silhouetted by fire, she started her act. “Tonight, I will tell you of one of the great horrors that haunts the Dragon Lands. This is the tale of…” She flipped another crystal pebble into the fire and it flared up a baleful red hue. “…the UNDEAD SMILODON!”

There were some squeals from the hatchlings, and grins from the youths.

Citrine continued. “It was a dark, moonless night, just like this one, and there was a bunch of little hatchlings just like you who wanted to stay up way too late. However, their giggles and their squealing had attracted something... something not of this world.”

FOOSH! Green fire lit the clearing this time.

“This thing was fueled by madness and anger. It prowled the plains looking for vengeance, but it was attracted to the sound of giggles.” Citrine loomed over the hatchlings and pointed an accusing hoof. “Giggles like yours!

The hatchlings squealed in thrilled excitement. While everyone was distracted though, Destined had telekinetically grabbed the skull of the Alpha Smilodon that had been kept as a trophy. Carefully he moved it into position behind the fire, keeping it out of sight of the young audience. The elders of course could see it, but they merely grinned in anticipation of what would happen next.

Citrine continued, “The undead smilodon wanted his revenge for his death at the talons of the dragons who had killed him, and the children of his target were the perfect means. He just watched...waiting... plotting until the time was just right.”

FOOSH! Blue flames leapt into the air.

“It is the hour! It is his time! HE COMES FOR YOU!” She pointed at one of the more brave hatchlings, and a scary non-dragon roar rolled through the camp.

FOOSH! Lambent violet fire dazzled the audience, and Destined floated the skull into the fire so that it looked like the demon was coming out of it, turning to look at the hatchlings who started freaking out. The skull roared, courtesy of a small sound spell from Destined.

“Quick! Only your fire can stop him!” Citrine cried out, expecting one or two of the hatchlings might actually do it. She was startled though when all the kids took in a deep breath. Her ears drooped, and she dived out of the way just before several streams of fire hit the skull, turning it into ash. Destined was left looking awestruck while Cinder and a few elders were laughing.

Citrine stood back up, and without missing a beat, said, “The cycle has been broken and the land has been saved thanks to the hatchling heroes!”

The hatchlings all started cheering. Citrine took a bow and went over to join Pif.

Pif flashed Citrine a grin as the hatchlings were taken to their beds. “I bet you weren’t expecting to be staring at the receiving end of a group flamethrower.”

Citrine was busy putting out a couple of smoldering spots in her tail. “I made it work... but no – I wasn’t expecting to be roasted tonight. Can’t say that I didn’t get full audience participation though!” she added with a grin.

After the children were put to bed, the fire was stoked to light up the central area, and drummers started a lively beat. The dragon youths had their turn with lively dancing, and Cinder and Blue soon joined in. Silk and Destined followed quickly, and Citrine dragged Pif into the wild mix moments later, despite the changeling’s protest about her dancing ability.

Watchful found a perch to oversee everyone as usual, but was surprised when Glenn fluttered over to land next to her.

“How about coming with me and dance instead of sitting over here by yourself as always?” he asked.

The changeling griffon was flustered – torn between her duties and desires. “I… But I should…”

Glenn grabbed her arm and said, “No excuses. Come on!”

He took off, and Watchful reflexively followed. They landed in the midst of the dancers, and Glenn let go of her and started to imitate the dragons’ moves. The beat was exciting, and Glenn’s smile was inviting. She let herself go and followed him in the dance. The more she got involved, the more invigorated she felt, and she drank in the wild emotions of the dancers. Soon she was virtually drunk on them, and she laughed and danced with more exuberance than ever before, and it was Glenn who had to work hard to keep up with her. The drummers increased their tempo, and so did Watchful until the pounding reached a crescendo, and she screamed in joy. She grabbed Glenn and hugged and nuzzled him, lost in the emotion.

While taken a little by surprise as to Watchful’s uninhibited response to the dance, Glenn was more than pleased with the result. He led her away from the group before the dragons started another dance, and sat her down on a log near the edge of the encampment. There was still just enough light to see her face, and he could see the dreamy smile on it. He knew she was a little drunk on positive emotions, so he just waited a little for her to calm down. Meanwhile he was happy just to snuggle with her, while she kept nuzzling him with her beak. If she had been in pony form, he had no doubt that she would have been kissing him a lot, but frankly he preferred the griffon expression of affection.

After a while, Watchful finally spoke. “You cheated. You knew I would get high on all that joy of life.”

Glenn nodded. “Did you enjoy it?”

Watchful giggled. “Yes, I did. Promise me something?”

“What?”

“Do it again next time.”

“I promise.” He nuzzled her. “Will you be my special hen?”

“Are you sure about that, Glenn? If I commit to you, it won’t be a temporary thing. That’s not how Red Changelings do things.”

“Right now I only see a beautiful, loyal, and wonderful she-griff. I’m young but not stupid. I’m not asking for a full commitment yet, but I do want to see if we can be good together. I think we can. So do you want to give it a try?”

Watchful smiled, a tear in her eye. “I do. I really do.”

“Thank you.” He nuzzled her again before asking, “Do you want to go back to the dance?”

Watchful shook her head. “Right now, I am perfectly happy here with you.”

“Me too.” He put a wing around her and hugged her close while they watched their friends continue the dance of life.

# # #

Blue opened his mouth, and an intense stream of blue fire roared out to splash against the column of stone that was his target. It continued as the column started glowing from the heat, brighter and brighter until it slumped as it changed to a liquid.

The beam of fire faltered, and Blue collapsed with a groan. “It’s too much.”

The Northern Seer said, “For now it might be, but soon it will be a trivial matter.”

Blue looked at the glowing slag and asked, “How am I even doing that?”

“Your body is so saturated with draconic mana that it is changing form to adapt. You are being prepared for what is to come.”

“And what is to come?”

“You oppose nothing less than the minion of Destruction. To survive, you must be stronger than her. Even now, you are not ready.”

“I have been suffering this training for nearly three weeks now. When will I be ready?”

“We work the will of higher power – we do not know all the answers.”

“I am beginning to wonder if you know any,” he mumbled to himself before struggling to his hooves once more. “Okay, let’s get on with it.”

# # #

Luna settled down next to Destined in the dreamscape. “The battle has been joined,” she said without preamble.

“And my parents?” destined asked with concern.

“House Path are defenders, not front-line troops. They stand ready to help Equestria if the need arises. None are involved so far. How does Blue Streak fare?”

“He feels he’s close, but he’ll come back sooner if necessary.”

“Nay, he should continue. We are committed to these paths. Despite the terrible fighting, 'tis the Nightmare that is the greatest threat. He must be ready for it.”

“Hopefully he will be. Thankfully there have been no more History changes. Maybe Chrysalis is concentrating on the battle now?”

“Mayhap, but that could be wishful thinking.”

Destined sighed. “I know. I keep all our important stuff together to grab at a moment’s notice for just that reason. The trouble is that Blue and I are separated for much of the day, and I worry that the crisis might occur while he’s away training. The Seer won’t let anyone else accompany him.”

“Thou must not worry overmuch about things that thou cannot control. If it comes to that, remember that 'tis thee who art the Alicorn of Time, and there is always a way.”

Destined snorted. “Alicorn of Time – first time I’ve heard me being called that.”

“'Tis the truth.”

“It’s a heavy responsibility.”

“Aye, that it is, and so it is for all alicorns. Our great power comes at a price, for we are the chosen of Harmony, and our powers are its tools for achieving its goal.”

“And mine is time. Somehow I have to use that if the need arises.”

Luna nodded. “Be strong, my son.”

Destined nuzzled Luna and said, “I’ll try, Mama.”

They enjoyed the intimacy for a little while before Luna spoke up again.

“Hast thou any news for thy family?”

Destined thought for a moment. “All is going well for us at the moment. The clan has thoroughly accepted us now. Glenn has enamored himself with the Matriarch and the Seer for his treatment of an injured dragon. Forest delights the youths with his illusions. Oh – and Watchful and Glenn seem to have hit it off now.”

“Ah, so Lucida is no longer the target of the young prince’s affections?”

Destined chuckled. “Nope. We knew it was merely an infatuation with someone new and exciting, but we had a lot of fun teasing Lucy about it. The way Watchful responded to Glenn though makes us feel that he’s more serious about this relationship. It probably helps that Watchful felt the same way from the start. She just was hesitant because of her sense of duty.”

“The changelings are an interesting species. So different from our own, but win their hearts and you have no better companion. Prince Glenn could do a lot worse than choose her as a life partner.”

“You’re speaking to a pony who has a changeling for a father – you don’t need to convince me.”

Luna smiled. “And I have the same one as a herd-mate. I do not regret the choice either.”

They were quiet for a long moment before Destined asked, “What do you know of Kirin?”

Luna looked surprised before she replied, “The Kirin were a legend even when I was a filly. It is thought that they were present back in the time of the creation of Equus. What happened to them has been lost to time. Why dost thou ask?”

“It’s Blue; I’ve already told you about the physical changes previously, but I realize that he seems to be becoming somewhat like how I have heard them described.”

“An interesting idea with weighty implications. Were the Kirin once a race of their own, or were they the harmonious blend of pony and dragon?”

“Could you look into that for me, please?”

“I shall. Meanwhile I must bid thee pleasant dreams for the rest of the night. I must be away on my duties. I will let the family know that all is well.”

“Bye, Mama Luna. I love you.”

“And I love thee too, dear child. Farewell.”

Luna faded from the dreamscape, and Destined woke himself up to gaze at the face of his lover in bed with him. He smiled. ‘Yes, it’s wonderful to find the person that you can truly love.’ He leaned over to gently kiss Silk on the nose before settling back to sleep once more.

# # #

It did not hurt anymore. After the best part of a month of physical torture, he felt the power fill him without pain. He seemed to float in a sea of energy, while the four Seers were discrete points of power surrounding him. He let his senses expand, and he felt the presence of something… someone… a being of such immensity that it could not be perceived as a whole.

You are ready.

The thought came to him as powerfully and inexorably as a tidal wave. “Who are you?” Blue asked without a voice.

I am the balance that you seek. I am the antithesis of Destruction. I have many names, but you may call me Creation.

Why did I need to be so much stronger?

Just as the Nightmare is the minion of Destruction, you are my chosen champion. You are the warrior who will enable others to preserve my works. The time has come to achieve your destiny.

What do you mean by that?

The final battle begins, and you will be sorely tested. Be as strong of heart as you are now strong of body. Go now – you are needed.

Blue was about to ask another question when the mindscape seemed to explode. He found himself lying on the floor of the crystal cavern, and the four Seers struggling to their feet after being knocked over by the shockwave that had come from the transformed pony.

“What happened, Blue Streak?” the Western Seer asked.

Blue recalled Creation’s final words. “We are done here. I have to go join the others now.”

Without wasting more time on explanations, Blue raced out of the cave and accelerated to a speed that he could only dream of a month ago. He had to get back to his mate and children though – the sense of danger that Creation had impressed upon him with his final words spurring him on.

# # #

Lucida, Glenn, Pif, Cinder, and Destined had gathered outside the Matriarch’s yurt for a conversation. These had grown into a regular occurrence lately, and the subject today was leadership. Each of the young adults was being groomed for roles that would see great responsibility heaped on their backs, and they talked about the challenges that each would be facing. Pif would one day take over the hive from Free, but she was reluctant to give away her research. Lucida knew that she was slated to head House Path someday, but while she felt prepared to do so, she respected her father too much to ever want to take over before he died, and she did not want him to die anytime soon. Glenn had little interest in ruling his mother’s kingdom, preferring instead to improve Griffonstone’s community by his other works. Destined did not feel he was suited to ruling at all, but as his name seemed to imply, he had already started down that path, and he was unsure of what to do. Alone out of all of them, Cinder felt comfortable with the fact that one day she would lead the clan, but her mother still had centuries left in her, and that day would not come soon. The only thing that bothered her at all was the fact that her mate would not live to see that day.

“Blue Streak is a magnificent warrior, and the finest mate that I could wish for, but he is still a pony despite all the changes that he has undergone lately. I am saddened that he will never share that achievement with me.”

The Matriarch gently put a huge arm around her daughter and waved the other in the direction of the two dracoponies who were being occupied by Egg Warden a short distance away. “Take comfort in his legacy, Shaikhan-Gal. His spirit will live on in these two, and one day, maybe Era will be a Matriarch too. I think he would be proud of that.”

Cinder nodded. “I am sure he would, but am I going to spend centuries being reminded of him every time I look at our children and missing him terribly?”

“I still miss your father, and over half a century has passed since his death. It is the curse of a long life, but it teaches you to appreciate what you have all the more. It is no coincidence why we refer to our mates as our greatest treasure.”

Destined said, “Auntie Celestia once told me the same thing – the appreciation part, not the treasure. She’s thousands of years old and has seen many loved ones come and go. I suppose I can expect the same.”

“Be thankful for your immortal family members, young alicorn. They will help you carry the emotional burden.”

Destined nodded. “Right now I’m living for my family. Immortality can wait.”

The Matriarch chuckled. “Indeed it can. But we seem to have drifted from the topic. Lucida, do you have…”

She was interrupted by a portal suddenly tearing open the sky, and dumping an object on her back.

“What in the world was that?” the Matriarch exclaimed, bending her neck around to peer at what had landed on her.

Derpy sat straddling the Matriarch’s back, and she grinned nervously at the huge dragon. “Um… hi.”

“Who are you?” the dragon demanded.

The pegasus did not have a chance to answer before Cinder exclaimed, “It’s Derpy. Mother – another time-attack must have happened!”

Lucida gasped. “Blue isn’t back here yet!”

“We gotta go!” Derpy insisted, fluttering off the Matriarch’s back.

“Everyone, find the rest of the team-members!” Lucida ordered. “I’ll grab our equipment.” She raced off to the nearby yurt even as the others dashed off to locate Citrine, Forest, Silk, and Watchful. Fortunately their routines made them easy to find and they were quickly gathered together, but of course there was still no sign of Blue Streak.

Derpy pointed towards the horizon. “The time-storm is coming. We have to leave now!”

Destined protested, “But without Blue, I won’t have the power to navigate to the past!”

“If we don’t go now, the past will be permanently changed!” Derpy yelled.

Reflexively, Destined exerted his power, and time slowed to a crawl. He needed time to think! Luna had told him that he would find a way, but what could he do? His ability to manipulate time could not get Blue here any faster – he didn’t even know exactly where he was! Then a thought occurred to him. He didn’t know where he was, but he knew where he would be if time had remained unchanged. It would involve a risk that he had avoided up until now – taking a History path that was of different probability. There was a chance that he would not find his way back to the correct moment, but without Blue, there might be no point in going with Derpy. He had to try. Steeling his nerves, he fixed a destination in his mind and exerted his power once more. Destined Path ceased to exist in that probability.

#

#

#

Destined re-entered reality, but not as he had previously experienced. It was a moment frozen in time – a quantum event – one of the infinite number of possibilities at that particular moment in an infinite quantity of those. It was like a diorama filled with exact replicas of everything he knew, but as lifeless as a construct. Birds hung unmoving in the air, windswept leaves failed to flutter to the ground, flames in the fireplace were eerily locked into place, and dragons were caught in mid-step.

Is this what the Doctor does when he isolates us from the effects of the History changes?’ Destined wondered.

He moved through the campsite, looking for the one thing that he desperately hoped to find. His heart leapt as he finally spotted Blue Streak. The transformed pony was just as immobile as everything else, but it was clear that he was desperately looking around for something, and Destined realized that it had to be the rest of the team. Only now he noticed that they weren’t here, frozen along with everyone else.

This is the reality where we were forced to leave with Derpy without waiting for Blue! Well, time to change that.’

Destined put an arm around Blue and again exerted his power. It was much harder this time to wrench Blue out of the frozen moment, but he managed, and they fell through the time stream.

Destined returned to reality a fraction of a second after he had left, but he was still holding Blue.

“What in Tartarus…?” Blue began.

“No time! Hit it, Derpy!” Destined shouted.

The vortex engulfed them a terrifyingly brief moment before the time storm hit.

# # # # # # # # #

Author's Note:

Phew! This was a big one, but a lot needed to be said and done. I wonder what Chrysalis and the Nightmare have in store for them this time?

The illustrations were done by Kat Miller a.k.a. Foxenawolf

Only two of them despite the size of the chapter. If you'd like to see more, please consider donating toward their cost via Paypal