• Published 4th May 2016
  • 434 Views, 2 Comments

Undercover - Terra Arcana



Opal and Angel Bunny in an undercover assignment to discover the secrets of Equestria

  • ...
 2
 434

Ch.1 - Late Night Rendezvous

Annoyed

*sigh* “Where is that fluff ball? I’ve been waiting for almost an hour”

Yes. I’m very annoyed. That’s should be the word to sum up what I’m feeling right now. Waiting in the outskirts of this god forsaking forest filled with savage animals for my shifty partner at BLOODY ONE IN THE MORNING. I don’t know why I got paired with her for this undercover assignment. Though I guess if I had any choice in this, I wouldn’t even have taking this assignment. But here I am, sitting on a tree trunk and looking around my surroundings, keeping my eyes open for her while also looking out for timberwolves and cockatrices. The only comfort I have at this point is the full moon lighting the area and remembering to bring my service taser.

“Doesn’t she have any sense of punctuality. I swear, if she gives me “fashionably late” again I’ll - “

“MEEEOOOOW!!!!”

“AAAHHHH!!!!”

Alerted, I jump up from the scare now hanging onto a branch 10 feet above me with my taser at the ready for whatever got the jump on me. But, the only thing I see is a white cat rolling on the ground laughing her tail off.

“NOT FUNNY!!!”

*snicker* “I thought so. Come on, lighten up Angel Baby

I give the area from my height a quick sweep to see if anyone was around to hear us. Seeing nothing to worry us, I let go of the branch and land on the ground to confront the annoying snowball, the urge to shoot her still there. I can probably write it off as accidental discharge, maybe.

“You’re late! Do you know how long I’ve been waiting? We were to meet at midnight. And my assigned name is Angel Bunny. At least remember that, Opal.”

“Yeah Yeah, whatever”

And there she goes, brushing me off again. Seriously, out of all the officers available, why her.

“What are you even doing here if you’re not going to take this seriously. We’re on the job. Act professional!”

“Listen carrot stick. First off, I had just as much of a choice as you did with this assignment. And secondly, at least you can be yourself for a little bit around that panicky pegasus. Rarity has me being all prim and proper 24/7. And then, takes me to Fluttershy when I show even a little attitude. I mean look this.”

She turns around and shows off her tail to me coming uncomfortable too close for my taste.

“I…um…I see nothing “I lie, keeping my head turned. “And could you get up and walk normally sense it’s just us.” I mean, really. What girl just shoves their tail into a guy’s face like that.

… at least she smells good.

“I know, right? It’s just a few specks of dirt. But she treats it like the world’s going to end” she continues and, to my relief, faces me again standing on her hind legs.

“Maybe it’s because you swipe at everything. I’ve seen those claws of yours at work. You can cut someone’s throat with those.”

“Hump…Nothing wrong with a little roughhousing” she counters as she begins to lick her paws and attempt to mat down her fur. “I swear, if she keeps up this bath a day regiment, I’m gonna start clinging to everything.”

I rub my head trying to get rid of the growing headache as well as to keep myself occupied from her grooming. It’s been over a year since we began our assignment and I’ve gotten use to a little nudity, but she doesn’t have to make a show of it. And I know she knows it judging by the smirk she’s giving me.

“Again I ask; why did you sign up to be an officer at all.”

“Eh…I have my reasons. Mainly, I was bored”

“You were…uh…” I stop there. My headache was growing and it was late. I just wanted to see my pillow and basket right now.

“Opal…”

“Yeeeessss” she replies with that wide grin of hers.

“…report…please”

“Heh. Nothing much. Things seemed to have died down a bit since that librarian got stoned last week. I did manage to catch that cute little play Sweetie and her friends did yesterday. Laughed all the way through. They definitely earned that comedy award. What about you? Still overworking yourself?”

“Hey. I get my rest. Usually when I have to play the…uh…cute…little bunny for Fluttershy.”

“HA. Cute? Last I heard, you were so not living up to your namesake, Angel.”

“Yeah well, I can’t stand the whole meekness thing she has going on. It’s tough love. Seriously, she can stand up to manticores and dragons for pete sake. But anyway, I found the cockatrice and subdued it to get some data off of it, so it’s in the log book now. Then I found that zebra’s dwelling and camped around to get info on the antidote and ingredients for petrification.”

“So nothing much…again.”

“I wouldn’t call it nothing. This is good data to turn in.”

“But it’s nothing related to the elements or evil magical creatures or pretty much anything that we were sent here to do.”

“But…the dragons a-and the hydras…”

“interesting, but they’re just simple minded savages.”

*sigh*” Cheese and crackers, you’re right. We haven’t had anything decent to report since the elements were uncovered”

“Right…soooo, do we, ya know, call it quits. No point in keeping an eye on this place if the elements only did that one thing by neutralizing that other thing we were supposed to keep an eye on.”

“No. We remain undercover and report our findings until we are called back. That’s. Our. Job.”

She flops down on the ground and starts whining.

“Boo. I wanna go back. I miss shopping, my credit cards, my phone…m-m-my ice cream…mew”

Yep. Time to call it a night when she starts up like this.

“Look. You’re not he only one that wants to go back. I miss my computers.”

“Tech junky”

“Shut it. I’ll be sure to send in a detailed postscript with the report to request calling us back to the department. Until then, you’re the prim and proper kitty cat and I’ll be the jerk bunny. That’s our role.”

“Alright fine. But next playdate, make sure to bring me some catnip from Fluttershy’s storage. I might need it again” she asks as she gets up and dusts herself off.

“Opal. You’re an officer of the LPS. Recreational drugs are off-limits.”

Come on. Why do I have to explain this to her? Whatever happened to background checks.

“Hey. It’s not like I haven’t tried the stuff already. And besides, we’re undercover. I should be allowed my liberties. Especially if I have to deal with the gator. He creeps me out. Pleaseeeeee”

“…Alright. For the sake of appearances, I’ll get you some”

“Yay. Thanks so much” she cheers as she latches onto me and pulls me into a hug. At any other point I wouldn’t have minded, but right now…

“Um…Opal…contact…nakedness. L-Let go please”

“Aww. Is the poor bunny embarrassed? Let me squeeze tighter to make it all better”

“OPAL! OFF! NOW!”

“Oh alright.”

She lets go of me and I take a moment to calm down and stop my face from burning.

“You’re so easy to mess with. Anyway, if there’s nothing else you need from me, it’s way past my naptime. Later.”

And off she goes leaving me to myself. Annoying cat, but she does have a point about us being here. The undercover assignment was for the discovery of the fabled elements and gathering intel on the the vicious Nightmare Moon. Both have been done, so why are the higher ups keeping us here?

*Crunch*

And perhaps I should think on that back at the cottage and away from the crazy forest. Hopefully they honor our request to end the assignment and return to Zootopia. I’m gonna go crazy if I have to go without my music and games for another month.