• Published 3rd May 2016
  • 4,079 Views, 68 Comments

Best Friends, Too - shortskirtsandexplosions



Minuette and I have got to be the absolute best friends in all of Equestria. Or at least we thought so... before running into Lyra and Bon Bon.

  • ...
13
 68
 4,079

Park

"So are you gonna have a lick or not?" Minuette asks.

My ears twitch. I turn to glance at her while we stroll across Ponyville. "Huh?"

She giggle-snorts. She always giggle-snorts. "Your ice cream, silly filly!" The blue-coated mare levitates a balloon by her blue mane as she looks at me with her bright blue eyes. Have I mentioned that my best friend is blue? "You promised you would give my favorite dessert a try!"

"Oh, and I will!" I shrug as we approach the entrance to Ponyville Park. "I'm just... taking my time..."

"Taking your time?!" Her mane flounces as she hops in place. Minuette's an endless conveyor belt of giggles, and I'm the receptical. "You can't do that, Amethyst Starrrr! It'll melt!"

I smile. "Then maybe you can finish it off instead."

"Amyyyyy..." She sticks her tongue out. Nopony calls me that. Nopony but Minuette. "You promissssed."

"Alright. Fine. Here goes." I levitate the cone close to my muzzle. I linger—if only to hear the deep foalish gasp from the base of Minuette's throat as she leans forward on the tippy-tips of her hooves. At last, I lather a dollop of the fruity dessert into my mouth. A slight tingle ripples up and down my spine, but it's over far too soon. Like most things.

"Welllll?" she coos.

"It's... sugary," I say. "Just like you."

"So you do like it!"

I roll my eyes and smirk. "Ponies and ice cream aren't the same thing."

"I beg to differ!"

"Pffft... what does that even mean, Minuette?"

"Something Pinkie Pie taught me! 'Have a favorite taste for every pony you know.' It's a great philosophy to live by! For instance, lemon squares make me think of Lemon Hearts. Cotton Candy makes me think of Twinkleshine. Moondancer is gingerbread. And Twilight Sparkle is licorice!" Minuette winks, cupping her face with her hoof. "Psssst... Don't tell her thaaaat," she whispers before snickering raspily.

"Heheheh..." I smile. "So which dessert is me?"

She giggles and points at the cone I'm levitating. "What are you sampling, silly?"

I glance at the half-melted scoop, then squint at her. "I'm your favorite dessert?"

"Yup!" She talks, bounces, talks. "Strawberry swirl with purple sprinkles! See? It's sweet, silky, but with a tiny dash of crunchiness!"

"Wow..." I drone, wagging an eyebrow. "It's so me."

"Heehee! I know, right?!" She winks. Blue saucers dipping in and out of the ocean. "Now you'll know what goes on in my mouth every time I see you! Heehee!"

I roll my eyes again. "Heh... I'm flattered, Minuette. Really, I am." I give the scoop another lick, ponder on it, then shrug. "But... I just don't see myself as being so sweet. That's your schtick."

"And there's nothing wrong with that, Amy!" She trots briskly backwards, facing me as we cross a bridge over a babbling brook. "Ever since we've met, I've been super impressed by your scholarly seriousness and organizational skills and expert library book alphabetizing—"

I chuckle, my voice raspy and real.

"Whaaaaaaaaaat?" She smirks curiously.

"That's a hard sell," I mutter.

"Huh?"

"You... make me sound so dull."

"'Dull?!' Pffft. That's a frumpy word for it," she says, waving a hoof. "You're just... geometric!"

"Hah!" I nearly drop the ice cream as I jolt in mid-stride. "Now I know you're just playing horse hockey with me!"

"No! Honest!" She giggle-snorts. "You're like super sleek concrete tiles! Perfect for playing four-square on a bright sunny school morning! Or... or..." She gasps, blue eyes widening. "Duaaaaaaaah! A dry towel to wrap oneself in after an afternoon of bouncing around in rain puddles!"

"Heheh... yeah, okay..."

"And the longer you stay all snuggled up..." She hugged herself, snickering. "...you get all toasty and warm and you wanna stay in there forever—"

"Alright! I get it! That's... really cool, and stuff..." I give the ice cream another lick. The strawberry swirl is almost sickeningly sweet... but I think I can get used to it. For Minuette's sake, I can get used to anything. After all, I can't remember the last time anypony has ever made me feel so... so... "Happy."

"Hmm?" Those blue saucers blink. "What's that, Amy?"

"Erm... I'm... happy that I make you so happy... n'stuff..." I clear my throat. "Though, I swear, I'm somewhat confused half the time."

"Heehee!" She smirks at me. "Isn't it enough to just take ponies at their word and smile?"

"Erm... it's..." I clear my throat. "You make it sound so easy..."

"Well, why not?" She winks. "I'm super happy to hang out with you, Amethyst Star."

"Heh..." I smile warmly. Genuinely. "And I'm happy when we're hanging out too, Minuette."

"Heeeee..." She stands on her hind quarters and stretches a blue hoof out. "Hey! Power up?!"

"Eugh..." I grimace slightly, glancing at the park full of frolicking ponies around us. "Right now?"

"Come onnnnnnn..." She winks, grinning and grinning some more. "Live a little!"

"Okay, fine..." I stretch a hoof out to meet hers in the air. "Unicorn diamonds..."

"Unicorn hourglass!" she cheers.

A breath later, and we both chant: "Spaaaarkle!"

Minuette does a pirouette. She scuffles to a stop, and so do her eyes. A pout. "Amyyyyyy!"

"What?"

"You were supposed to twirl as well!"

"Pffft. Minuette. I don't twirl. You know that."

"Pleeeeeeease?" Sparkling eyes. "For me?"

"Alright. One more time?"

"One more time!"

Our hooves make contact.

"Unicorn diamonds."

"Unicorn hourglass!"

"Spaaaaaaaaaaarkle—"

This time, with a coy grin, I lift her off her hooves in my telekinesis and rotate her around me. In a brisk second, she's standing at my side, eyes rattling about in a dizzy fashion.

"You... you ch-cheated!" Minuette sputters.

"Hmmm?" I lick the ice cream and smirk. "How do you know I didn't just twirl twice and mesmerize you?"

She stares at me. She blinks. Then—her muzzle explodes into a stupid grin. "Hey! That's pretty clever!"

"Heheh... no it isn't."

"I liked it all the same! See! You can be sugary-silly!"

"Those are two different things."

Before she can argue in that cute, ringing voice of hers...

...a different cute, ringing voice ripples over the nearby hilltop.

"Oh wow! You two have your own secret hoof-shake too!"

"Just like us!"

I turn around, squinting. "Huh?"

Minuette's somehow on the other side of me, bouncing and waving. "Ooooh! Hi, Lyra! Hi, Bon Bon!"

Oh boy...

The two mares trot towards us, both wearing the same smile. Lyra balances a flashy kite across her flank. The fresh scent of sweat and giggles wafts off both ponies as they smile... breathe... smile... breathe—

"Did you come up with that thing together?!" Bon Bon chirps.

"Heehee! You know ittt!" Minuette hums.

"Well..." I clear my throat, gesturing. "It was mostly Minuette's invention—"

"But Amy here makes it all the more dazzling—er... sorry, Amethyst Star." Minuette winks back at me. "Sorries. Got caught up in the moment."

I open my muzzle to reassure her—

"Awwwwwww!" Bon Bon coos, her cheeks rosy. "You even have nicknames for one another!"

"How just like best friends," Lyra adds with a nod and a smirk. "Bon Bon and I have—like—ten or twenty nicknames for one another."

I blink. "Ten or... twenty?"

"Ehhhhhh..." Bon Bon waves a hoof. "It varies by the hour. Like 'Hearty-Strings.'"

"'Sweetums'..." says Lyra.

"'Lime Plucker,'" Bon Bon adds.

"'Candy-Cooties.'"

"'Lizard Gizzard.'"

"'Peachy-Poo.'"

Bon Bon giggles at the last one. Lyra sticks her tongue out.

Minuette gawks at me. With a humored expression, she mouths: "'Peachy... Poo...?'"

I fight the urge to snicker. "Ahem... Wow." I turn to face the two mares. "They all sound so..."

"Bubbly!" Minuette squeaks.

"Well, we just can't help it!" Bon Bon says, leaning in to nuzzle Lyra. "We're so thrilled to be bessssst friendsssssss..."

"Heeheehee..." Lyra nuzzles her back. "...you said it, Sandy-Cakes."

Minuette nearly chokes on her own tongue.

"Well, uhm..." I fuss with the levitating ice cream, catching the melted dessert in my magic field. "...it was super cool running into you two—"

"Oooooh! Hey!" Bon Bon grins. "Wanna see our secret best friendsies hoof-shake?!"

"Oh yes!" Lyra hops in place. "We've been dying to show it to somepony!"

I raise an eyebrow. "Guess it wouldn't really be much of a secret, then, would it—?"

"We'd love to!" Minuette exclaims.

I wince. I'd face-hoof if it wasn't for the ice cream. Celestia dang it, Minuette...

"Okay! Here goes!" Bon Bon twirls to face Lyra. "Ready?"

Lyra squats on all fours. "Ready!"

The two shimmy towards one another in a coordinated fashion.

"A hop..." They bounce.

"...a bop...!" They slap their cutie marks together.

"...and away we drop!" They fall down in separate directions, backs to the ground as they make mirrored grass angels.

Silence.

"Wowwwwww!" Minuette claps and claps. "That's super awesome, you guys—"

"Aaaaaaaaaaand..." Both mares curl up until they're facing each other on the ground. "...sunshine!"

Lyra smiles, crossing hooves so that her right fetlock makes contact with Bon Bon's. "Always mine..."

"...til the end of time!" Bon Bon twirls her forelimbs. Both mares twist until they're standing up, shoulder to shoulder, neck to neck.

I fidget where I stand. "Uhm... looks like you both put some work into—"

"Swear on our tails!" Lyra twirls her tail-hairs around Bon Bon's.

"Come rain or come hail!" Bon Bon toppels backwards until she's lying across Lyra's flank. The two mares form a crazy double-decker bus of pony flesh.

"Unfurl friendship flags and set sail!" This is chanted as Lyra gives Bon Bon a telekinetic boost. The earth pony does a flip, then lands—cradled in Lyra's forelimbs. The two take the moment to boop their peach-and-lime noses together... before the air around them is filled with high-pitched giggles.

Minuette continues clapping, though I can tell from her wincing expression that her fetlocks must sting by now. I see the glint of her eyes in my peripheral. She looks lost halfway between joy and drowning. I decide to let her tread water for a bit. Silly pony.

"That's... uh... pretty snazzy!" I say with a crooked smile.

"Heeeee... we know..." Bon Bon drapes back in Lyra's forelimbs, grinning at me upside-down. "We work up a new one every week!"

"Every... week..."

"Being creative is half the fun!" Lyra winks, nuzzling Bon Bon in her arms once again. "All the part of being besttttttt friendsssss."

"Heeeeeee..." Bon Bon playfully protests, her forelimbs curling up. "Lizard Gizzard..."

"Candy Cooties..."

"So... uh..." I give the ice cream another lick. It's thin and watery now. "...how long have you both been this close?"

"Oh!" Minuette blurts. "Lyra's been hanging out with Bon Bon ever since she moved to Ponyville! Isn't that right, Lyra?"

"Yup yup!" Lyra sets Bon Bon down on the ground and both side hug each other, leaning cheek to cheek. "We met one night for DnD and we've been Besties ever since!"

"Ooooh..." I smile, eyes brightening. "You're into table-top board games?"

"Huh?" Bon Bon blinks. "What does dinner'n'dessert have to do with board games?"

"Uhhhhh—"

Lyra explains, "Bon Bon put up an article in Canterslist, looking for a mare who was 'pretty, creative, emotionally receptive, and quick to making life-changing commitments!''

"All the qualifications of a best friend! Heeheehee!" Bon Bon shakes with bubbly giggles. "Lyra showed up at the precise time and place. And we had dinner and dessert..."

"And maybe a drink or two," Lyra said with a wink.

"Or twenty."

"Heehee.." Lyra rolls her eyes. "Anywaaaaaaay... from day one, we knew we were b.f.f.f.f.f.f.s!"

"Erm..."

Bon Bon explains: "Best filly friends forever felicitously feeling funtimes!"

"Did we mention foreverrrrrr?" Lyra rubs her cheek against Bon Bon's while both giggle once again.

Minuette and I exchange glances. Smiling, we squint at the two.

"So... it all started with a date, huh?" I ask.

"Why, of course!" Lyra blinks innocently, her green cheek still smooshed up against Bon Bon's. "A date listed on Canterslist that we both met on and discovered how fun it was to spend time together!"

"Doing best friend stuff!"

"Like walks in the park!"

"Attending cover band tours!"

"Crotcheting!"

"Hopscotch!"

"Eating fruit snacks!"

"Snuggle time after fruit snacks!"

"Fishing!"

"Tossing the fish back! Heehee! You know... friendly friendship stuff!"

"Wait..." I raise a hoof, my muzzle lingering open. "About... the fruit snack part—"

"Oh, Bon Bon makes the sweetest little fruit treats!" Lyra giggles. "You've no idea!"

"Sometimes we arrange entire nights for enjoying fruit snacks together!" Bon Bon adds.

"Well..." Lyra leans in. "It's not all eating fruit snacks, Peachy-Poo."

"Well, sure. There's also hug contests and slow dancing. But they wouldn't care about any of that."

"Good point."

"Well!" I clear my throat, trotting backwards. "It's been really swell! Glad to know you two are so happy!"

"Oh, absolutely!" Bon Bon nods with a grin. "Always nice to run into another pair of besties!"

"We should compare notes sometime!" Lyra says. "There are tons of fun activities that Bon Bon and I have invented that we just bet you and other best friends would enjoy!"

"Would you like to hear some?" Bon Bon asks, gasping.

"Well... uhm... my ice cream has nearly melted..." I look aside. "...and I think Minuette had a dentist's appointment somewhere with—"

"We would love to!" Minuette says, grinning wide.

"Grkkk!" I grimace, but before I can open my muzzle to protest—

"Great!" Bon Bon leaps forward, grasping my hoof and tugging me across the park. Lyra does the same to Minuette. "We know the absolute perfect spot to hang out, too! It's a comfy bench in the shade!" She winks. "Lyra found it. She's so good at finding comfy spots."

"I learn from the comfiest spot with legs!"

"Heehee...!"

I stifle a groan, glaring aside at Minuette.

She merely winks at me. I swear, she's doing this on purpose.

I sigh... but it's through a smile. Some things in life are impossible to be mad at...