• Published 30th Apr 2016
  • 3,517 Views, 80 Comments

The Dazzlings Watch Monster Movies - CGPH



Sonata Dusk, Aria Blaze and Adagio Dazzle watch some old monster movies.

  • ...
7
 80
 3,517

Gamera

It had been two months since the incident at CHS, and outside from the crippling depression, self-loathing and suicidal tendencies, The Dazzlings had been doing quite well for themselves.

Or… they were living a happy life, anyway.

Well, not exactly 'happy', but...

It was okay.

Kind of.

It wasn't absolutely awful.

Well, okay sometimes it was.

Often, actually.

...

Existence was pain.

They still had the apartment from when the landlord was under their control –albeit now they were having to pay for it. It wasn’t very luxurious, three bedrooms, a living room, kitchen and shared bathroom… They were used to better, but could compromise. Adagio was their main source of income; recently she’d taken a job working at a bar on the outskirts of town. It involved late shifts, which left her two siblings home alone for large periods of time. But rest assured they weren’t letting her do all the work, Aria and Sonata frequently spent their day’s job hunting on the internet.

‘Job hunting’.

The reality was over the thousands of years the sirens had spent on Earth, they had collected more than enough money to give them a stable existence. But ever since the incident, Adagio had become obsessed with planning for the unexpected. That, combined with the generic feeling of hopelessness the household shared... Welcome to Depression Central.

Aria stepped out of the shower and wrapped herself in a towel. Almost immediately after she turned water off she began to hear muffled noises from the living room. Usually when she heard those noises it meant Sonata had annoyed Adagio one too many times and was currently being beaten by a sock full of oranges. But knowing that Adagio wasn't home at the moment, the noises peaked Aria's interest.

Following the source of the sounds, Aria, still wet, opened the bathroom door and made her way to the living room. She found Sonata sprawled out on the sofa wearing her banana pyjamas, and found the source of the loud noises to be coming from the TV.

The laptop remained untouched on the coffee table, with the words “Canterlot jobs” never having graced its keyboard.

“Hey loser, turn it down. What're you watching?”

“Just a mooooovie,” Sonata said cheerfully.

Noticing her sister’s wet hair, Sonata let out a giggle. After years of sporting the same hairstyle, seeing either of her sisters with their hair down was a strange sensation. Apparently their hairstyles gave them all the “punk rock band” vibe that Adagio had wanted to market them as. Sonata liked hers and Adagio's, but felt like Aria’s hair made her look like a bunny.

A weird, soul sucking bunny that fed on the pain and misery of others.

Thinking about it, it suited her quite well actually.

“What movie?” Aria asked, sitting beside her.

She took a hairbrush off the coffee table and began to straighten her green and purple mess.

“Monster movie.”

Aria frowned.

“You know you’re not allowed to watch those.”

It was true, ever since an event a few years ago involving killer clowns, outerspace, a messy bed sheet, an embarrassed Sonata and one even more annoyed Aria, Sonata was now no longer to watch anything deemed over a PG-13 rating.

“Aww come on Aria,” Sonata sang. “It’s not a scary one, I promise.”

Aria looked at the television. “What’s is it?”

“Gamera.”

Aria raised an eyebrow. “What’s it about?”

“A big turtle.”

“Doesn’t sound like a very scary monster,” Aria spat.

“Not all monsters have to be scary!” Sonata defended. Then she brightened up, “people say we’re monsters and we’re adorable!”

Aria let out a chuckle.

“Tell me that again after Adagio yells at you for watching this.”

Sonata frowned.

“Do you really think she’ll be mad?”

Aria mused. “Probably… Especially when you should be looking for a job.”

“So should you!” Sonata pointed an accusing finger at her sister.

Aria sighed. “I told you, I’m preparing myself. Ever since what happened at the Battle of th-“

The incident.”

“… Ever since ‘the incident’, I’ve been stressed. And if I’m stressed I won’t be able to work to my fullest ability, so I won’t be able to keep the job… As soon as I’m done recuperating I’ll find one. What’s your excuse?”

Sonata simply shrugged nonchalantly.

“I dunno.”

Aria looked back to the TV and frowned.

“I don’t know how you can bare watching a film in black and white.”

Sonata raised her accusing finger again.

“Racist!”

Aria screwed up her nose, “How’s that racist!?” she spat.

“You don’t like it because it’s black!”

“Sonata literally everybody in this world is a different color. You’re blue, I’m pink and Adagio’s yellow.”

Sonata gasped.

“So… one of us is adopted?”

“Ugh,” Aria put her hand on her face. She sighed.

“What’s going on anyway?” she gestured to the TV.

Sonata turned back to the TV. “They've just flipped Gamera on his back. They’re trying to starve him to death.”

“Pretty anti-climatic anti-climactic ending.”

“It’s not over yet!”

“Well it’s-“

Aria stopped when she saw what was happening on the screen. It took her a moment to process it, before she burst out laughing.

“WHAT THE HECK IS THAT!?”

“Whaaat?” Sonata whined, missing the joke.

“IT’S-IT’S GOT ROCKETS FOR LEGS!”

“Why’s that funny?”

“I’m snap-chatting this, oh my god,” Aria took her phone off the coffee table and took a short video of the movie. "Great choice of monster movie Sonata.”

“Stop laughing at it!” Sonata spat.

“It’s a guy in a rubber turtle suit with rockets for legs, why aren’t you laughing at it?”

“It’s a serious movie Aria!”

“Right, of course it is,” Aria chuckled. “How longs it been on for?”

“Ehhh.. About forty minutes.”

“You better hope it finishes soon, Adagio’s shift finishes in ten. She’ll go crazy if she catches you watching it.”

“It’ll be finneeeee.”

“I’m home!” A third voice entered the flat.

Shit.”

Adagio entered the living room and set her purse down on the table. She looked exhausted. Taking one look at Aria caused her to frown.

“I hope you’re dry.”

“Yeeeessss, Mom.” Aria sighed. “I’m just doing my hair.”

Adagio gave a curt nod and sat down on a reclining chair beside the sofa. “Work let me finish early today... What’re we watching?”

“IT WAS ARIA’S IDEA.”

“Sonata!?”

“What was Aria’s idea?” Adagio asked, confused.

“She made me watch it!”

“You liar! Adagio, it was her idea!”

“Why would I want to watch a monster movie? Don’t you remember what happened last time!?"

“Of course I remember, we were sharing the bed!”

“GIRLS!” Adagio shouted. “Just, please… shut up.”

She put her head in her hands and sighed. “You know how I feel about you two idiots talking when I come home from work.”

Aria and Sonata fell silent. Adagio lifted her head up and looked at the television.

“I don’t mind Sonata watching a monster movie so long as... Why does that turtle have rocket legs?”

“THANK YOU!”

“He has rocket legs because he’s a guardian sent from Atlantis to stop mankind destroying themselves!”

Adagios face scrunched up in confusion as Aria burst out laughing.

“THAT’S AMAZING.” Aria said, holding her sides. “You know what, Sonata I take back everything bad I said about the movie. This is just great.”

“You don’t actually mean that!”

“Do too!”

“Do not!”

“Do too!”

“Do not!”

"Do too!"

"Do not!"

“I knew I should have got that sugar daddy.”

“What’s a sugar daddy?” Sonata asked.

“About three grand a night and an express ticket away from the two of you,” Adagio put her head back in her hands.

“Oh come on, Adagio!” Aria laughed. “Lighten up, enjoy the movie!”

Adagio bit her lip and laughed smugly. “You’ve changed your tune, Little-Miss-Toaster-Bath.”

Aria frowned, the pleasure she was taking from her sisters torture vanishing in an instant.

“That’s a low blow and unfair, Adagio.”

“Yeah! There’s nothing wrong with Aria making toast in the bath!” Sonata joined in.

Aria turned to Sonata sternly.

"Don't. Help."

Adagio shrugged, laughing. “I'm gonna go get unchanged, you two try and not kill each-other while I'm gone. Or yourself, for that matter."

She stood up and made her way out of the living room. Her work clothes consisted of a blazer, leather mini skirt, torn fishnet tights and high heels. That wasn't actually the mandatory dress code for the bar she worked in, she just found she was more likely to get tips dressed this way.

“Get me my bathrobe, it’s on the bathroom door!” Aria called after her.

When the last bit of Adagio disappeared around the corner, Aria turned back to Sonata.

“What the heck was that about!?”

“What?”

“Telling Adagio it was my idea to watch your stupid turtle movie!”

“Aria… You know she gets annoyed at me super… Remember when I tried making us breakfast that time!”

“How could I forget it? I was the one who had to sit with you for three hours in the emergency room.”

“Exactly,” Sonata said sadly.

Aria grunted.

“Ugh. Fine. Just don’t blame it on me if you have nightmares tonight. And do not get in my bed.”

Sonata beamed brightly, “I won’t!”

Aria looked from Sonata back to the TV. Letting out a loud heave, she stood up.

“I’m going to listen to my music. Enjoy your stupid turtle movie, loser.”

“I will!” Sonata's smile never faltered.