• Published 25th Nov 2011
  • 25,102 Views, 262 Comments

Doctor Whooves - The Series: Episode One - The Pinkie Conundrum - Loyal2Luna



After the harrowing events of "Traveller," the Doctor is forced into having some downtime in Ponyville while the TARDIS rests. Meanwhile, Twilight goes to confide in her beloved mentor, but ends up learning far more than she expected.

  • ...
16
 262
 25,102

Prologue: Out of Element

Prologue: Out of Element

Books and Branches Library
Ponyville, Everfree Province of Equestria
4th of Summer, 1001 C.R. (Celestia’s Reign), 8:25 a.m.

Dawn had only barely broken over the town of Ponyville, but already the Books and Branches Library was a scene of action and a flurry of motion on the inside.

“And don’t forget that every book that's checked out has to be signed for with a hoofprint. No exceptions,” Twilight Sparkle explained for what was perhaps the third time that day as several scrolls were lifted by magic from their resting place on her nightstand and set into the open satchel on her bed, quickly followed by several books and a large bottle of ink that came flying from all over the small loft.

Seated next to the satchel, the small, tired-looking purple and green baby dragon shook his head, rolling his eyes impatiently. “Come on, Twi, can you pretend to have a little faith in me here? I mean, it’s not like I’ve never done this before. Besides, the only books that ever get checked out are usually cookbooks.”

Spike!” Twilight admonished the dragon as she consulted her checklist, wanting to make absolutely sure that she didn’t forget to pack anything. “Every time I go away for a little while, I always come back to find out that somepony has taken several, irreplaceable pieces of the library’s collection and sold them to the bookstore!”

“You’re exaggerating, Twilight.” Spike shook his head, his tone more than slightly huffy. “That only happened once, and even then it was just one of Snips and Snails’ stupid get-bits-quick schemes. And Ms. Ream at the bookstore knew it was a library book the moment she saw it. The index card inside the cover was kind of a giveaway. You should know better than to take something like that seriously.”

Twilight sighed, setting the checklist down as she shook her head, her nerves getting the better of her for a moment as she rubbed the bridge of her snout with one hoof.

“I know, I know. Look, it’s just… Considering what I’ve been through the last few days, I really need to get caught up with my reports to the Princess and what I have to report needs to really be done in person this time. Besides, it’s not just the library I’m worried about.”

“What do you mean, Twi?” Spike raised one eye ridge curiously. What in the hay could possibly be more important to Twilight Sparkle than the Ponyville library’s upkeep during her absence?

“I also need you to look after our ‘guest.’ Keep him occupied and try to keep him out of trouble.”

“Who? The Do--”

In an instant, Twilight was right in front of Spike, her hoof pressed to his mouth and silencing him mid-word.

“Shhhhhhh! Don’t…” Twilight hushed the dragon softly, looking over her shoulder as if she expected the brown stallion to be standing right there. “He’s still sleeping downstairs. ‘Clockwork’ needs to try and relax and stay in Ponyville for today at least. Show him the sights, recommend some good books, something like that. I should be back by tomorrow.”

“Is that why you’re up so early? Why don’t you just tell him that you’re going?”

“Oh, is somebody going somewhere?”

The voice that came behind Twilight, with it’s odd, flourishing accent, was completely unmistakable to the purple unicorn pony, who didn’t even have to turn to recognize that her attempt to leave quietly had failed.

“Yes, somepony is.” Twilight set her hoof against her face a moment before steeling herself with a resolved huff, closing the satchel before her and lifting it up to her flank where it was strapped and hung at one side for easy access. “Good morning, Doctor. I’m afraid I’m in a bit of a rush. I have an appointment with the Princess in Canterlot this afternoon and--”

“Oh, we’re going to Canterlot today, are we?” the Doctor interrupted with a large smile. He was already dressed in the brown suit and tie that Rarity had designed several variations of for him, an hourglass lapel set into the collar. “I’ll fire up the TARDIS and we can head on over in two shakes of a lamb’s tail. Wait, you do have lambs here, right? I guess two shakes of your tail will do. Or one shake of yours and one shake of mine. Anyhow, Canterlot! It really did look fantastic the last time I was there, but I didn't have much of a chance to appreciate it, what with the Raggedy Mares and all milling about.”

“Raggedy what-now?” Spike inquired curiously, only to be cut off by Twilight’s slight glare, indicating it was not something she wanted brought up.

“Doctor…”

“I'm still trying to determine how you ponies managed that level of architectural sophistication without heavy machinery. Those buttresses alone must have taken a lifetime to set in place with hooves, even with magical aid.”

Doctor…

“Do they have tours of the Royal Palace? Because I’m sure that would be particularly enlightening. And it would be nice to meet Princess Celestia and Luna again for the first time.”

Doctor!

“Errr… Yes, Twilight?” The Doctor had to cock his head to the side slightly, tapping on one ear due to the sudden jump in his companion’s decibel level.

Setting herself up solidly and taking a breath, the young mare squared off with the nine hundred year old stallion. “I’m sorry, but you’re not coming along this time,” she explained quickly.

“What? But it’s a royal audience, and a chance to--”

“Doctor, I have a duty to the Princess and I think it would be a good idea if I informed her about everything that happened personally... and alone. I'm sure that she'll be interested in meeting you later, but there are certain ways to go about doing that. Suddenly appearing in her antechamber and crashing on her doorstep in a big blue box is not one of them.”

“But…”

On the floor below, there was a sudden clopping sound as a set of hooves beat heavily on the door, interrupting the Doctor just long enough for Twilight to prevent his argument.

“You said it yourself: The TARDIS needs a rest, Doctor,” Twilight stated, trotting past him and down the stairs. “You still haven’t even seen much of Ponyville or introduced yourself around town to anypony. So why not just slow down for a moment and take in the local scene? Just for a couple of days. I’ll stay the night in Canterlot and be back tomorrow.”

“Slow down?” The Doctor was absolutely aghast as he started to follow Twilight down the stairs. “But it could be dangerous. I should accompany you -- just to be safe, of course.”

“Come on, Doctor. I’m just going to Canterlot. It’s the safest place in Equestria, and it’s only for a day,” Twilight explained as she opened the door, the Doctor coming up behind her quickly.

“Well, yes, I’m sure. But surely an escort wouldn’t go amiss.” The Doctor stopped in mid-stride as he saw the two large pegasus ponies in the doorway. Both wearing golden armor that fit around their wings, their coats were a stark, bright white color that could only be possible through a complete and thorough bleaching. Unlike most every other pony he had met thus far in this strange and fantastical world of Equestria, these heavily muscled soldiers had no tattoo-like markings on their flanks, and their stern eyes spoke of heavy discipline.

“See? Royal escort. I’ll be perfectly safe, ‘Clockwork.’” Twilight turned a bit, a smile on her face as she moved out, flanked like a VIP on either side by the large winged ponies.

“I… Well, it’s just that…” The Doctor was at a slight loss for words as he watched the purple unicorn pull herself up into a carriage, the two winged ponies moving to the front and hitching themselves in. “Should you need me…?”

“I’ll let you know, don’t worry. See you tomorrow, Doctor.”

The Doctor stood in the doorway as the carriage took off, still more than slightly stunned as he watched the purple unicorn pony wave goodbye to him from the back of the carriage, the winged guard ponies making a direct line for the towers of the mountainside city that could be seen in the distance.

There he stood, unsure for a moment what to do next, when he heard the sound of something clearing its throat down next to his legs.

“So… you up for board game?” Spike asked timidly, grinning wide.

—————————————————————————————

*Opening Theme*

Featuring:
The Doctor
Twilight Sparkle
and
Pinkie Pie

Guest Starring:
Applejack
Rainbow Dash
Rarity
Fluttershy
and
Spike the Dragon

Doctor Whooves: The Series
“The Pinkie Conundrum