• Published 9th Aug 2016
  • 2,098 Views, 135 Comments

The Key to the Light - KingJoltik



Celestia had been looking for the one that will unlock the door to the light for years. What she found was Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
6
 135
 2,098

PreviousChapters Next
Early Days, Part 3: The Dive to the Heart

One of the many parts of 'The Key' that I have discovered is something called 'The Dive to the Heart'. It seems to be a type of dream realm designed for the bearer of 'The Key'. Within this dream, it will show the bearer things that will not only concern the bearer's destiny, but things that will determine the very outcome of the bearer's abilities. Absolutely fascinating! It's as if 'The Key' has a mind of it's own yet it asks it's bearer to choose it's own path. Strange since 'The Key' seems to be designed for a certain set path that involves the Light and the Darkness. I will need to do further research into this.

-Starswirl, Report 19

Twilight wasn't sure what she was feeling. All she knew was one thing. She was falling. She wasn't sure how long she had been falling, but it was there. Falling. Falling that felt like forever. Her mind wandered as she felt the weightlessness of her body. What's happening to me? Why am I falling? Just...just what is happening to me?

As one last thought drifted into her head, she felt her hooves touch a surface. She quickly glanced down and saw a platform. But this platform was anything from normal. What was under her hooves looked like glass. The very surface was smooth and flat, it's very feel of the glass was almost unworldly in a way.

Twilight shook her head as she slowly looked around. Her body twitched as she began to stand up. As she got up, she walked around the platform, only to look off the edges. There, she saw what she was really standing on. Is this...a glass pillar? What the...where am I?!

She looked up and saw nothing but a void of darkness. She quickly spun around, trying to find any other sights only to find more darkness. Nothing. That's all there was, a void of nothingness. "What is...huh?!" she said to herself as she backed away from the edge. "I don't understand...where am I?"

She looked down at the pillar she was standing on and her eyes widened again. "Wha...what is this?!" she exclaimed as she fell down on her flank. "Why is...why is there a picture of Princess Celestia on this glass pillar?!"

The pillar showed a sight that confused Twilight beyond belief. It was picture of Celestia and another pony. The other pony had a dark blue coat and a slightly brighter blue mane. She had a white moon as her cutie mark and seemed to be smaller than Celestia. Who is this pony? I recognize the princess but...this one looks like the total opposite of Princess Celestia. Who is she?

As Twilight began to calm down, she slowly got up and looked around again. So, where am I and how did I get here? I know I was in my room and...

So much to do, so little time...

"Wha..." Twilight stuttered as she heard the sudden voice.

Take your time. Don't be afraid.

Twilight spun around again, trying to find the voice's origin. "Is somepony there?"

The Door is still shut.

"The door?" Twilight asked, blinking. After a few moments, she realized the voice had stopped talking. "Hey! Are you still there? Who are you?"

No answer.

Huh...okay, this is really weird. she thought as she began to pace around the pillar. I don't understand, where am I? And what was that voice? As she completed a whole circle of pacing, the voice spoke up again.

Now, will you step forward? Or will you go back?

"Will I..." Twilight wanted to ask who the voice was, but she had started to realize that it was pointless question. Instead, she decided to answer his question, thinking she knew the right answer. "I...I'll step forward."

Good. See where going forward goes.

As the voice finished his statement, a bunch of floating stairs appeared outside of the pillar. The stairs were made out of glass as well, their shape was that of thin rectangles. Twilight blinked as she looked at the stairs and where they led, noticing another pillar that had seemly just popped out of nowhere. Sensing she had to comply, her hooves slowly ascended the floating staircase.

As she reached the end, her eyes glanced at the floor again. This time the floor showed two different ponies, both of them unicorns. One had a light blue coat and sliver with white colored mane. Her cutie mark was a small wand with a moon. The other had a pink coat and a multi-colored mane of purple and brightly colored green. Her cutie mark looked like a purple diamondized star with small aquamarine colored wisps above it. Who are these two ponies? Twilight thought as she rubbed her chin. I don't think I've ever met them before. Right before Twilight could think up another thought, the voice spoke up again.

Power rests within you. Will you accept it?

"Huh?" Twilight could only say before three objects suddenly appeared before her. She blinked as she saw a sword, a shield and a wand float in mid-air in front of her. All three had emblems of the sun on them. "Why are there weapons here? Well, expect for the shield that is. Then again, technically it could be considered a..."

Twilight ranted for a while until she looked at the weapons again. She slowly walked up to the three and tapped the sword with her hoof. As if it was there all along, the voice rang out again.

The Sword. Power. Strength. Courage. Those who wield this can destroy anything in their path. This is the way of the warrior.

"The way of the warrior..." Twilight repeated as she tapped the sword again. "Sounds kinda dangerous...and gloomy."

Do you choose this path?

"Um...no. Let me see the others first please." Twilight squeaked, slowly backing away. She turned and touched the shield.

The Shield. Fortitude. Endurance. Resilience. An unbreakable spirit flows through this wielder. This is the way of the guardian.

"The way of the guardian...it also sounds kinda gloomy. And rough..."

Do you choose this path?

"No. I wanna check the wand." Twilight replied, removing her hoof. After a few seconds, her hoof found itself lightly tapping the final object.

The Wand. Wisdom. Knowledge. Intelligence. One who understands many things wields this path. This is the way of the mystic.

"The mystic..." Twilight muttered, her eyes shining from the words. The very talk of knowledge meant only one thing in her mind: magic. And Twilight knew she loved magic. "Sounds like my kind of path!"

Do you choose this path?

"YES!" Twilight exclaimed. "I want that!"

As soon as the words left Twilight's mouth, the wand disappeared in a puff of light. The sight took her back for a second until the voice spoke again.

You have chosen your path. Now, before your path is completely set, you must give up something in exchange.

"What?" Twilight yelped before looking back at the sword and shield. "I have to...give up one of these? But which one do I choose?"

No response.

"Great..." Twilight said as her ears drooped down. "Now what do I do? Do I just give up one of these? But...which one?" Twilight covered her mouth as she kept shifting between the two. Power or defense. Hmm...strength does sound important but...

After a few more moments of deep thought, Twilight finally made her decision. She walked over to the sword and tapped it again.

The Sword. Power. Strength. Courage. Those who wield this can destroy anything in their path. This is the way of the warrior.

"Yes, I know that already. You don't have to repeat it."

Do you give up this power?

"Yes." Twilight nodded. As those words entered the room, the sword vanished from sight. The voice spoke once more.

You have chosen the way of the mystic. You have given up the way of the warrior. Is this acceptable?

"Yes."

Very well. But your journey has not yet begun.

"Huh?" was all Twilight could say before she heard an odd cracking sound. She looked down and despair covered her face. The glass floor began to shake. Then cracks appeared. "Oh no." she said with a gulp. "No no no no no-"

More cracks began to appear until finally, the floor shattered. "AAAAAaaahhhh!" Twilight yelled as she began to fall again. She could feel her weightless body falling as the pieces of the floor fell with her. "HELP! SOMEPONY HELP ME!!!"

But the scream fell on deaf ears as Twilight continued to fall. Twilight closed her eyes as the fall kept going, panic absorbing her mind. Until finally, her body hit another glass pillar with a resounding thud. She could feel her face kissing the glass as she slowly opened her eyes. "Ugh...that hurt." she said as she shook her head in discomfort. "Now where am I?"

She looked at the floor again and saw a new sight. Here, the glass showed three very different ponies. One pony was a shining purple coated unicorn with a light blue mane. Another was a grey coated stallion with a jet black mane and had what looked like a royal coat and a crown on his body. Twilight personally found his red colored unicorn horn to be the most intriguing part of the pony. Though the filly was puzzled at the sight she was looking at, the last pony on the floor confused her even more. The last one had a light purple coat and a swirly-haired mane. Her eyes looked like hypnotic swirls and she was wearing the most peculiar hat. It was as if the earth pony wasn't really a pony, she looked almost to...bizarre for a pony.

"What is this?" Twilight said to herself as she tapped the floor. "Who are these three? They all look so-"

Power still sleeps within you.

"Ack! You again!" Twilight yelped.

There will be times you will need to fight.

"What are you-" Twilight said before the keyblade popped into mouth. "Mmmph!" She quickly spit the blade out and wagged her tongue. "Ugh...why did the-"

This power is needed to protect or destroy.

"Oh...so that's why the keyblade appeared. Wait a minute, did you say I needed to fight?!"

Indeed. There are times when foes will appear before you.

"F-f-foes?!" Twilight squeaked, her eyes shrinking at the thought. "B-b-b-but I don't how to fight!"

Before her statement was finished, a small shadow slowly slithered through the floor. The shadow was small and it's entire being was that of a jet black color. It slipped left and right until it finally raised up, it's eyes glowing like bright headlights. Two small antennae bobbled on the top of it's head as it swayed back and forth. But it's eyes, it's eyes looked deeply into Twilight as she sat there squirming. Twilight turned and saw the shadow, her eyes widening at the creature. What the... The shadow's hands slowly lifted themselves, revealing long claws. Uh-oh... Then, it leaped into the air, it's tiny claws fully unleashed!

"Ack!" Twilight yelped as the shadow hopped in front of her. She quickly stepped back as the shadow landed before her, it's attack whiffing. It looked up at her again and did another leap. As it's claw came close to Twilight's face, a shining light quickly appeared and knocked the creature away. Twilight looked down at her mouth again and then at the creature. The keyblade! It protected me...wait...this thing is one of those foes, isn't it?

As Twilight stood up with blade in tow, her eyes widened at the incoming danger. Several shadows began to appear on the floor, covering parts of the glass. That's not good. Twilight thought with a gulp. She gritted her teeth on the keyblade, realizing her situation and prepared for the worst. That voice said I had to fight...guess I got no choice.

On the exact moment the thought was finished, a shadow on the right leaped at her. She quickly swung her head, the blade slashing through the shadow. Two others soon followed, jumping in the air. Their claws hit her sides, causing her to wince in pain. Another grabbed her back, causing her to fall over. "Augh!" she yelled in pain. Twilight quickly stumbled her hooves around, trying to get up. Gotta...get up!

Twilight finally stood up and did a bum rush, knocking off the shadow on her back. She quickly spun around and swung the blade on the shadow, causing it to dissipate like smoke. The other two shadows merged with the floor, quickly shuffling around the pillar. Twilight's eyes followed the two as they quickly slithered around in random directions. Twilight's mind began to race, trying to analyze the situation. I've got to keep calm. Blasted blade is so hard to use...hurts the neck like crazy. Twilight's vision began to shift as she watched another shadow merge and unmerge again. These things can obviously merge with the floor so...I got to wait for them to unmerge. Let's see...now!

As her thought finished, a small shadow's head slowly popped out of the floor. Before it's entire body could unmerge, Twilight spit her blade out. She quickly gripped it in her small hoof and slammed the blade into the creature's head, completely destroying it. However, this victory was short-lived as the other shadow's claw struck her side. Pain exploded through her body as she fell over from the strike. Grr...I should have saw that coming. I've got to... Twilight's quickly leaped back up and swung the blade into the shadow, only to hit the floor. It had merged into the floor again. NO! Darn it! Stupid creature!

Twilight spun around again, looking for the creature. As she scanned the pillar, she quickly realized where it went as she looked at her hooves. It was right under her. A small shriek exited her mouth as she ran to the other side of the pillar. Gotta...get away...now! She looked back, only to see the shadow unmerge and began to leap into the air. The shadow grew closer as it fell close to Twilight's face, it's claws fully out. Reflexes kicked in and Twilight's hoof swiped her blade, slicing the shadow in half.

Seeing the shadows gone, the blade fell out of Twilight's hoof. Sweat dripped down her head as her tongue stuck out from exhaustion. "Oooohhhh...I'm so glad that's over." She looked back up, trying to look for the mysterious voice. "Hey! Why did you make me do that?!"

No response.

"Great...still not talking to me." the filly said to herself, understandably ticked off. "Just...what is happening to me?!" Twilight tapped her head, looking at the floor again. Okay Twilight, think. I just got the keyblade after talking to Princess Celestia and... as Twilight's last thought went through her head, her left hoof felt something. She looked down at her hoof and shrieked in horror. Her hoof was suddenly surrounded by inky, black darkness. She looked back up and saw that the pillar had become completely engulfed in the same substance. It was as if a full puddle of darkness had drowned the entire glass pillar, it's picture of the three ponies completely distorted. "AAAAAAHHHH!!! HELP! SOMEPONY HELP ME!" Twilight screamed as she tried to pull her hoof up, only for her other hoof to get caught in the sudden darkness. Then another hoof. And another. Then finally...her entire body sank into the pillar. "No...NO! AAAAAAHHHHH!!!"

Twilight laid on the floor as she swung her hooves back and forth, screaming at the top of her lungs. "Help! Somepony help me! Help...huh?" Twilight said as she slowly opened her eyes. She looked at her hooves in bewilderment, trying to figure out what just happened. What the...I'm...okay. That's weird. I thought for sure... Her eyes blinked as she looked past her hooves, seeing the new floor. This floor had the strangest picture of them all. What in the-that's my cutie mark! And...it's surrounded by some...are these other cutie marks? There's a thunderbolt, three balloons, some diamonds, a few apples and a trio of butterflies. I don't...What is all this?!

After a few more thoughts, Twilight got up and shook her fur. Looking around, she noticed that once again, there was nothing but a dark void surrounding the glass pillar. Her ears drooped down at the sight as she walked around the pillar. Seeing that nothing was happening, she spoke up, "Okay voice! What do you want me to do this time?"

Your light is strong.

"What?" Twilight replied, surprised at the response.

But your light shall get stronger.

"Get stronger?"

And when that light grows, so shall your shadow.

"My...shadow?" Twilight said before she felt a tingle down her spine. Her instincts kicked in as she looked behind her, seeing something that frightened her more than anything. Her own shadow suddenly grew glowing eyes, shining in the dark. The shadow then began to grow, slowly ascending from the ground. It's long figure slithered upward, forming itself into a giant dark pony. Twilight began to step back, her whole body shaking in fear. "WHAT IS THAT?!"

Don't be afraid.

Twilight fell over, her hooves trying to crawl backwards from the giant dark figure. Then her hoof couldn't feel any ground. Her head slowly turned and saw the edge of the pillar. "Oh no..."

Your weapon is beyond the darkness.

The dark figure's hoof slammed into the floor, causing it shake. Twilight yelped as she scrambled on her hooves to get up.

Your power will show you the way.

The giant shadow opened it's mouth and screamed a loud piercing yell. Twilight covered her ears, her eyes wincing from the noise. It's hooves slammed the floor again, instigating a challenge. Twilight could only stand there, gulping at the sight. As the dark pony raised it's hoof again, the keyblade popped into Twilight's mouth again. I have to fight...that's what you're telling me, isn't it?

Twilight wasn't sure what she was feeling. She knew she was scared. She could feel her nerves tingle on every fiber of her being. Yet...she knew she could win. Maybe it was the voice, maybe it was the keyblade. Whatever it was, she knew she could win. That was all that mattered. She gritted her teeth on the keyblade, her eyes filled with determination. The dark figure bent down and stared right into her eyes, the two meeting with full determination. Twilight cricked her neck as she took a step forward. All right, let's go!

The giant lifted both of it's front hooves and slammed the ground again, making two giant dark puddles. Several shadows ascended from the puddle, causing Twilight to step back only for a second. Her mouth trembled as it dropped the keyblade out and into her hoof. The shadows glared at her and charged at full steam. Three shadows leapt at the filly, causing her to quickly swing her blade left and right. Quickly slicing two of them, the third jumped back and merged with the floor. Seeing this, Twilight flew into the giant hooves, striking it several times.

The keyblade kept striking the hoof, darkness splattering everywhere the blade stroke. Seeing the damage, the hoof ascended but kept the other down. Twilight glanced at the other and charged, ready to deal more damage. Then, before another strike could be made, a ball of darkness popped in front of her and exploded. Twilight screamed as she flew from the explosion. She screeched on the floor, her vision blurring from the blow. Wha-what hit me?

As she struggled to stand up, she looked at the dark figure. There, she saw the balls of darkness blast out of it's mouth, the bombs flying through the air. Twilight's eyes watched as three more balls float in the air, causing her to step back. One approached her and she quickly swat it away with her keyblade. The bomb blasted itself into the dark being's face, causing it to yelp in pain. Two more bombs descended at the same time, causing her to jump away. As both exploded, Twilight rushed into the giant's hooves, her blade ready to strike. She swung the sword repeatedly, trying to knock the dark figure down. Come on, come on! Fall! Please fall!

As she swung one more time, a loud piercing yell came from the horse again. The scream caused Twilight to fall over, the noise blasting her eardrums. One of the giant hooves then swatted Twilight away, causing her to fly right in front of the giant. Twilight tried to get up only for despair to cover her face again. Oh no... she thought as she realized what was happening. The giant was tipping over, the horse was about to completely fall on top of Twilight. No. No no no!

"AAAAaaahhhh!" she yelled as the dark being fell on top of her. "NO! Get off me! Augh!" Darkness began to flood all over the pillar, it's presence beginning to drown Twilight. She kept struggling, her hooves swinging back and forth. As the darkness kept flowing, Twilight tried to scream. But no sound could come out. Her whole body was covered except a hoof. As the hoof tried to struggle, a small voice called out.

Don't be afraid. The power you wield.

The darkness continued to cover the hoof, it's edge darkening.

It will do the impossible.

Then, the last bit of the hoof began to be devoured.

It will open the door.

As the last bit disappeared, Twilight couldn't feel a thing. It felt like every sense was numbed, every part gone. Then, all of it was gone. Everything. Her eyes began to close from the loss. The darkness filled every ounce of her being. Not even a ounce of noise, no screams could be heard.

It will open the door to the light.

As Twilight's eyes fully closed, she felt something. Something warm. Light. Her eyes opened and saw a beam of light, shining in front of her. The light blasted the darkness around her. She shielded her eyes, trying to see. Then, nothingness.

In the end, you alone have the power. The power to open the door.


"AAAAAAaaaaahhhh!" Twilight yelled, her head flying straight up. Sweat dripped from her forehead as she panted from the shock. She swung her head around, trying to see where she was. After a few seconds, she realized her situation. "My room. I'm back in my room." She fell backwards onto her pillow, her mouth exhaling a giant breath. "It was a dream. It was all a dream."

She flopped her head sideways and looked at Spike's crib on the other side of the room. "Or was it? Was that...was it real?"

As if on cue, the keyblade shined a magnificent light as it appeared inside Twilight's mouth. She quickly spat it out, the blade falling on top of her bed covers. The next few minutes were nothing but silence as she stared at the blade, her mind turning into a mix of mushy emotions. The keyblade...it was in my dream too. Just what is...I don't understand.

She blinked a few times and then concentrated. A small aura covered her horn as she glared at the laying blade. Her cheeks puffed up as she kept staring at the blade, small drops of sweat appearing on her face. This is...what the hay?! Why can't I levitate the keyblade?! Is it immune to unicorn magic?! The thought made her make a resounding gulp inside her throat as she realized her mouth would be the main mode of transporting the key. A flash of light shined as the keyblade disappeared, it's presence completely gone. It's gone...just like that dream.

As her little body tried to get off the bed, her eyes began to close again, a wave of drowsiness covering her body. Realizing she wasn't gong anywhere while being this tired, she let out a small yawn. "I'll...I'll just ask Princess Celestia tomorrow." Her head plopped onto a soft feathery pillow. "Though maybe I should...make a...*yawn*...a to-do list...about it."


Meanwhile...

"AUGH!" screamed a certain cloaked pony, it's body falling to the floor. Darkness bleed from it's coat as the pony began to squirm on the floor. "NOOOO! This...this can't be!"

"Master!" yelled another cloaked pony, quickly rushing into the room. "Master! Are you alright?"

"No. I'm not." the Master spat while getting back up. The pony grabbed it's forehead and shook it, sweat pouring down the pony's face. "This feeling...no. No! It can't be! Not here, not now!"

"Master? What's wrong?"

The Master quickly grabbed the Servant's collar and yelled, "The new bearer! We must find out everything about the new bearer!"

"Wha-" the Servant stuttered, trying to talk. "Master...I uh..."

"We must know. NOW!"

"Alright Master...I'll get some more information if that's what you want. I'll go send some Heartless and-"

"Good. Make it quick." the Master said, it's body lounging back on a chair. "Ooohhh...this is not good."

"I don't understand Master. Why is this pony such a problem? After all, we've handled keybearers before and-" the pony's rant was cut short by a raised cloaked hoof.

"Because...that pony has done something I haven't felt in a long time."

"Wha...what did the pony do?" the Servant squeaked, trying to figure out what the Master meant.

"Whoever they are...they've accepted light. Pure light."

Hearing these words, the Servant's ears drooped down at the information. A slight shiver shook the pony's cloak. "I see. Master, that is not good. Those who live within the light-"

"Indeed. If there is somepony with pure light...they will become a threat to the darkness we bear."

"Should I take care of it? All I need is a few Heartless and-"

The Master stroked it's chin for a second as it made a response, "No. Information comes first. If it comes to the conclusion that elimination must happen, just...just prepare your apprentice to take this pony on."

"What?! But Master, she is not ready!"

"I know she isn't, just begin to prepare her. Nothing more."

The servant bowed, "Yes my Master. I will do this and gather more information on this new bearer."

"Excellent. Do not fail me." the Master raised it's hooves to the air. "We have come to far to fail now. After all...our goal is so close now."

"I know. If I am to summon the Heartless, does this mean an invasion?"

"Yes." The Master shined a deliciously evil smile. "We'll start by invading Canterlot."

Author's Note:

Ah...The Dive to the Heart. This was fun to write to say the least. I hope everyone enjoyed this, it was plenty fun to write the first Heartless scene! As for the stuff she saw on the pillars? Well...let's just say, that's for another time.

Also, the two cloaked ponies here will be called 'The Master' and 'The Servant' until the story says otherwise.

Hope you enjoyed the chapter!

PreviousChapters Next