• Published 3rd Apr 2016
  • 3,349 Views, 346 Comments

The Anthropologist - Weavers of Dreams



Join Lyra as she interacts in various human-related problems ranging from wannabe Nazis to eldritch horrors that just need some love. No problem is too great that it can't be fixed with a baseball bat or high-powered cieling fan, that's a promise.

  • ...
19
 346
 3,349

PreviousChapters Next
-45- Hope and Lies

"You mean to tell me that portals all across Equestria have exploded today?" Bon Bon demanded in a hushed tone as she stirred the contents of her big copper pot.

Lyra nodded, the fact she was upset evident upon her brow. "We weren't even the first. Princess Twilight had already been contacted by several other anthropologists, and was in the process of sending out messages to halt all interdimensional travel until further notice. So, we know for sure that Henry touching the portal was just bad timing, not a catalyst."

"So nothing was wrong with the spell?"

"It'd be too much of a coincidence if just a few portals exploded, much less all of them," sighed the wearily anthropologist. She leaned against the counter for support. "Shutting them down was the best thing we could do, as well as one of the worst things that could have been done. We have mothers and fathers and children who all need to get home to their families. Humans who've been torn away from everything they love and treasure... unable to go home."

"I can't imagine how that'd be," the other mare said sympathetically. "If I was ever separated from my Twister or Noteworthy, and then told I couldn't go back to them... well, it doesn't need to be said, does it?"

Lyra looked at the tile floor despondently. "It's going to affect us anthropologists as well. Most of us take our job very seriously, and now we can't help the humans we care so much about."

"Nonsense," Bon Bon huffed. "You're job just got even more important than ever. In the history of the Department of Anthropology there has never been such a crisis before, has there?"

"Great ego boost aside," Lyra waved off the attempt to cheer her up with a half-hearted sigh, "I can't do anything but try and calm everyone from the sidelines. Since I'm not a mage, I'm basically sitting in the peanut gallery twiddling my hooves and answering questions during the investigation that's sure to come. Not to mention all the press that's going to be flooding Ponyville in next few hours."

"Why do you think they'll come here en masse?"

Lyra gave her deadpan stare. "Let me see... Well, I'm the world's greatest anthropologist for one thing. Princess Twilight helps oversee the mages, that's another. A major unknown incident happened here where both a princess and the world's greatest anthropologist live, that's a third. As for a fourth, Cameron, upon hearing that portal travel was being shut down for the time being, began a protest, which incited a riot. Thankfully it only lasted ten minutes, but the press can easily turn that into six hours for better publicity. Do you need anymore reasons?"

"No need to be snappy with me, Lyra," Bon Bon scowled indignantly. "I just got done taking care of a distraught colt for you. At least show some consideration."

"Right, right," Lyra groaned, rubbing the sides of her head, "I'm sorry."

"Forgiven," Bon Bon smiled as she shook her head. "So, about Cameron, what happened to the poor dear?"

"Unfortunately, he's gonna have to spend the night in jail for setting fire to a public trashcan, along with the other few ponies who joined him," Lyra said with an exasperated noise. "He's such a nice young man when you get to know him, but we unintentionally set off a trigger."

"Oh, so you were unsuccessful in persuading him to stay?"

The mint mare nodded. "Yeah. Poor guy. I can't help but feel he'd be better off here in Equestria, but... we're not monsters who force people to do things for their own good."

"Guess it can't be helped then," Bon Bon shrugged. She moved the pot off the burner and set her spoon down with a clack. "By the way... about Jessi and Brady..."

Lyra held up a firm hoof. "They're fine. We're talking about a quantum scale spell. The portal trip really only takes about a minute, and it only collapsed at our end. Worst case scenario, the human world has some harmless tears in the space-time continuum. Their half life ought to make them erode in a day or so."

"That's a relief," Bon Bon replied, wiping her brow. "I would hate to have to tell Twist something bad happened to her friends."

* * *

"Thee, I told you they're alright," Twist whispered to Henry with a big grin on her face. She and the colt were crouched down just around the corner, listening. The smile dissolved a bit after a moment. "I mith them already, though."

Henry, who had to suffer the humiliation of being half-carried over to the kitchen entryway due to the fact he could not walk right, found he could breathe easier. "Good. I was... really worried I had killed someone. I think that would be worse than never being hugged."

Twist gave him a sympathetic nudge. "You thould learn to trutht Auntie Lyra. Thee'th the betht."

"Thorry for not truthting you," Henry grunted, before immediately throwing his hooves over his mouth in fear. "I'm thorry... I mean, I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to make fun of your lithp. I mean lisp. Sorry."

Twist was anything but upset. "It'th contagiouth ithn't it?" she giggled in a hushed tone, for fear the adults might hear. "I'm gonna thow you to all my friendth tomorrow," she declared as she quickly began dragging him back to the family room so they cook finish the comic book and hot chocolate together.

Henry let out a sigh as he let it happen, knowing struggling would be useless. He was just glad no one else was around to see.

* * *

Smirking a little, both mares waited until the oh-so-stealthy foals were out of earshot before speaking again.

Lyra's face fell. "I can't believe I just lied to Twist."

Bon Bon embraced her friend warmly. "It's okay, Lyra."

The mare shook her head. "No it's not. She considers me her 'auntie' for crying out loud. Nothing can make that alright."

They remained hugging for a few minutes before the candy maker broke the silence. "Lyra, tell me. Are Jessi and Brady alright?"

Lyra sniffed and shook her head. "I really don't know, Bonny. Maybe... I grasping threads of hope here, Bonny. It's all I have for those two."

"It's enough, Lyra," the good mare consoled her softly, patting her back soothingly. "It's more than enough."

PreviousChapters Next