• Published 3rd Apr 2016
  • 3,351 Views, 346 Comments

The Anthropologist - Weavers of Dreams



Join Lyra as she interacts in various human-related problems ranging from wannabe Nazis to eldritch horrors that just need some love. No problem is too great that it can't be fixed with a baseball bat or high-powered cieling fan, that's a promise.

  • ...
19
 346
 3,351

PreviousChapters Next
-41- Farewell Dear Carnivores

It was that bittersweet time again. Time to see a dear friend or two off back to their homeworld. There were tears to be shed and hugs to be distributed, as well as a couple large bagged lunches and fresh barley candies from Ponyville's finest confectioner. A reasonably sized crowd stood inside Town Hall, the standard place where this event was held, friends of the soon-to-depart, those who just wanted to watch, and one stern looking yellow and orange mare.

"Now, I've packed you both enough food for a full day," Golden Harvest began, trying not to d'aaaw at the sight of little Jessi holding her oversized lunch bag in her mouth while a mob of fillies and colts were trying to hug her goodbye all at once, "but I expect you both to find the authorities and get back to your parents before then. And I mean ASASP. You got that? Brady?"

She thrust her hoof at the little girl's brother, who flinched. Like his sister, he was an amalgamation as well, but had timber wolf properties laced throughout his body, as well as a bit of crow. He had been given a large backpack filled with fresh clothes and supplies for once they were fully human again.

Hopefully no one would be around when they jumped. Which was why they chose to do it in the evening.

"Yes, ma'am," he said softly. That mare was a force unto herself.

"Stop scaring him, Harvey," a certain wall-eyed female chided, flapping over and pushing her herdsister aside. She ignored the mare's indignant sounds as she addressed the young man. "I'm really sorry to see you go, and so is my sister. She acts like she hates you, Brady, but, inside she's really impressed by how you loved your sister. You basically declared war on all of Equestria in just three hours. Not quite a record here, but still impressive enough to tell your future grandchildren about."

While, he was left sputtering, the kind mailmare turned her attention to the little girl's mob. "Dinky, Chirpy, Derby, Dizzy, Dipsy, go stand by your Auntie Harvest, she's needs to get ready." Her children groaned sadly and marched over to Golden Harbest who gave them each an affectionate kiss of the forehead. "Noi, go to your mother." The little filly sighed and nodded as she walked up and hugged Harvest's leg. "The rest of you know the drill, go stand by your parents."

The last of the foals slunk off, leaving Derpy with Jessi. "Jessi, listen to your brother. But don't let him hide your voice. Just because you're young doesn't mean you shouldn't have a say in things. Let everyone you meet know that you can have a say. Can you do that for me?"

Jessi sniffed, the area about her eyes wet from the tears she had been shedding. "Yes, Mrs. Hooves. I-I'll do my best."

With that, she lunged forward and hugged the kind mare's neck, sobbing softly. Derpy just hummed a soft lullaby, gently rocking the little girl while rubbing her back with a kind hoof. She only stopped when she felt a hoof tap her on the shoulder.

The local anthropologist had arrived. "I'm sorry, Derpy, but, I'm gonna have to ask you to go stand with everypony else."

Derpy nodded, giving Jessi one last squeeze. She then trotted back to her family, and along with Harvest's help, herded the foals over to their stallion, Time Turner, who had just arrived himself. Golden Harvest managed to keep her composure, while Derpy sighed and leaned against Turner's shoulder for comfort.

In a way, it felt like she were losing two of her own children.

"Well, this is goodbye, you two," Lyra managed to smile. She pulled them both into a hug, then whipped out a camera and quickly flashed a few pictures. "For my album."

"You'll visit, right?" Jessi asked, tearing up again.

Lyra hid her sadness as best she could. "If it's ever within my power, I shall, Jessi. Never give up hope." She then activated her magic and grabbed something from behind her back. It was a rather nervous looking Henry. "Speaking of hope, another human arrived today, one just like you."

"He's replacing me?"

Lyra shook her head rapidly. "Oh, no-no-no, of course not. But, he's like you, in a way. He'll be keeping all of Ponyville busy just as soon as he learns to walk again. Isn't that right, Henry?"

The colt suddenly felt very small in a room full of alien creatures. "Who are they?"

"This is Jessi and her brother Brady," Lyra explained gesturing to each amalgamation in turn. "They arrived some months ago, and we're going to be sending them back home today."

"Am I going with them?"

Lyra shook her head and sighed. "A lot less heartache if it worked that way. But, no. The portal is attuned to them, meaning only they can pass through it. I'm sorry."

"Oh," Henry said, lowering his head in disappointment. The stares of the others were starting to get to him, but they held no malice, just pity. Or excitement, in the case of a certain pink pony. He clumsily backpedaled between Lyra's legs to try and hide from their eyes.

Lyra's placed a comforting hoof upon his shoulder. "It's alright. You're safe in this town kid."

"That's relative," Brady muttered. This unwittingly made the whole assembly burst out laughing. Lyra, on the other hand, scowled at him.

"Not the time, kid. So not the time."

He quickly apologized.

Lyra sighed levitated Henry onto her back, where he tried to hide in her mane. He was actually getting quite comfortable with her. A good sign. "You're lucky we care about you, Brady," she huffed.

* * *

It took the combined efforts of three high-level unicorn mages to begin forming the portal, which resembled a wreath made of fire and lightning. It was both terrifying and alluring to gaze upon. Many of the observers in the room actually found themselves subconsciously taking a couple steps forward. Even Henry had stopped hiding to gaze upon the circle, in which there appeared to be nothing but an improbable void.

Lyra, on the other hand, was immune. She quickly hugged the two amalgamations one last time and began nudging them towards the great magical maw. It may have appeared as if she was trying to get rid of them, but it was really because the mages could only hold it open for a couple minutes.

"Once you pass through, the transformations will wear off, and you'll both be fully human again," she told them quickly, needing them to hurry. "Once on earth, find the authorities and have them locate your parents. Don't talk to any strangers, and don't get sidetracked along the way."

"And don't forget to eat your food," Golden Harvest called form the back. "You need to keep up your strength."

"What she said," Lyra encouraged stopping them just as the base of the portal. She gave them one last hug, which was passionately returned, then she pushed them. "Now go home, your family needs you."

"Gooooodbyyyyye, eeeeeverrrrryyyyooooone," Jessi cried out as she vanished, held close by her brother.

"Goodbye," came the nearly deafening reply from the assembly, to which the little girl giggled until her voice was lost in the distance. Once more, tears were shed, parents hugged their sad foals, and even a certain pink pony's mane appeared to be drooping a little. The portal began to slowly fade as the mages ceased giving it power.

Lyra set Henry upon the floor, deciding to give him a quick lesson before the sadness got to her as well. She swiped a hoof through the dimming portal. "See that? The portal is intangible to us. Only those who it's meant for can pass through. Wanna touch it before it gone?"

Henry nodded.

Lyra chuckled and picked him up in her forehooves, holding him out to it. "Go ahead."

Mesmerized, he held out a small hoof and softly touched the surface of the quantum spell, then the whole room seemed to explode in a flash of green light.

PreviousChapters Next