• Published 3rd Apr 2016
  • 3,343 Views, 346 Comments

The Anthropologist - Weavers of Dreams



Join Lyra as she interacts in various human-related problems ranging from wannabe Nazis to eldritch horrors that just need some love. No problem is too great that it can't be fixed with a baseball bat or high-powered cieling fan, that's a promise.

  • ...
19
 346
 3,343

PreviousChapters Next
-28- Friday Part: Five

Lyra moved to the chair behind her desk and pulled a large green book out from a drawer and opened it to the appropriate date.

"Okay. This week's earnings. Starting with Monday:

"Aryanne: one time visit. Meeting arranged and paid for by her parents. 400 bits.

"Ricky: court mandated visit. Arranged by Mayor Mare. Paid for by himself. 500 bits.

"Jessica: new visitor. Brought in by the Flower sisters. Paid for by the Human Fund. 350 Bits.

"Ugh... Thrandor: new visitor. Displaced. Was managed to be herded into the clinic. Paid for by Human Fund. 600 bits.

"Turnip Time: one time visit. Arranged and paid for by herself. 400 bits.

"Phillip: new visitor. Amalgamation. Category: terrifying. Brought in by Fluttershy, Rumble, and Pokey Pierce. Paid for by Human Fund. 550 bits.

"Tuesday:

"Mark Smith: final visit. Arranged by state. Paid for by himself. 500 bits.

"Jessi: routine visit. Amalgamation. Category: adorably nonlethal(1). Arranged by state. Paid for by Human Fund. 350 bits."

Lyra sighed wearily at the next one. "Cameron: routine visit. Arranged by state. Paid for by Human Fund. 350 Bits.

"Pipsqueak: moral guidance. Arranged and paid for by his parents. 275 bits plus two bottles of milk.

"Alice: routine visit. Arranged by state. Paid for by Human Fund. 350 bits.

"Timothy: post-adoption interview. Arranged by state. Paid for by parents. 300 bits.

"Wednesday:

"Local nuthouse: routine visit. Paid for by Human Fund. 1500 bits.

"Thursday:

"Social Justice: one time visit. Heehee. Arranged and paid for by herself. 400 bits.

"Rarity: routine visit. Arranged and paid for by herself. 400 bits.

"Cup Cake: post-adoption interview. Arranged by state. Paid for by herself. 300 bits.

"Margaret: routine visit. Arranged by state. Paid for by Human Fund. 350 bits.

"Time Turner: routine advice while housing humans. Arranged and paid for by himself. 400 bits.

"Nurse Redheart: routine visit. Arranged and paid for by herself. 400 bits."

Here she picked up her pen to begin writing the Friday's layout.

"And, today:

"Mayor Mare: routine visit. Arranged and paid for by herself. 400 bits.

"Jack: prescheduled visit. Arranged and paid for by himself. 425 bits.

"Caramel: routine visit. Arranged and paid for by himself. 400 bits.

"Fryer Crisp: routine visit. arranged and paid for by herself. 400 bits."

Lyra looked it over to make sure there were no mistakes, and then nodded. "Okay, just let me add this all up, and then I'll hand you this weeks paychecks." She altered between chewing the tip of her pen and writing as she considered the problem. "Hmmm. Okay, that adds up to 10,300 bits, minus 9 percent in tax... 9,373 bits. Janitor gets 400." She wrote out a check and passed it to the young stallion that kept the place clean.

He immediately took off to deposit it. Lyra and the remaining mares chuckled good naturedly at that.

"Clinic archivist gets 700." She passed her next check to the green mare that stood beside Millie. This one managed to leave with a little bit more dignity than the janitor.

"Aaaand secretary get 1000," Lyra said, passing the last check over to the earth pony. She looked back down at her book to write. "Leaving me with a decent 7,273 bits. All-in-all, not a bad week. Oh, you're still here, Millie?"

The pink and blonde earth pony nodded. "Yes, Miss Heartstrings. I was just wondering if you would like me to pick up anything for next Monday. That way I can take care of it on my way home and enjoy a free weekend."

Lyra nodded. "Good idea." She thought for a moment. She smiled as an idea formed. "Stop by the post office and order a couple new plushies from that sweet old gal in Minos. Oh, yes, and order a new mirror for the bathroom, too. Forgot to replace it after this Monday. Here." She finished another check and passed it across the desk. "That should cover it. Keep any extra if you want. Go on now, I'll close up the clinic."

Millie nodded and left.

Lyra, leaned back in her chair and closed her eyes for a few minutes after the mare left her office. "Whoo, boy. Another week in the exciting life of an anthropologist. Check that. The world's greatest anthropologist." She opened her eyes and looked about.

"Yeah. That's sounds much better when there are other ponies around." She shrugged. "Oh well."

She closed and put away the book and slid her checkbook into its hiding place before pulling out a red scarf and wrapping it about her neck. She glanced at her clock. "Hmm. I've got an hour before dinnertime. Assuming they keep to the usual schedule. Toy store's probably still open. Guess I'll see about getting Gene and Susan's new baby a proper gift before I meet with the family."

With that, she turned off all the lights and locked the doors before trotting out into the snow.

(1) Yes, that's an official categorization in Equestria.

PreviousChapters Next