• Published 3rd Apr 2016
  • 3,349 Views, 346 Comments

The Anthropologist - Weavers of Dreams



Join Lyra as she interacts in various human-related problems ranging from wannabe Nazis to eldritch horrors that just need some love. No problem is too great that it can't be fixed with a baseball bat or high-powered cieling fan, that's a promise.

  • ...
19
 346
 3,349

PreviousChapters Next
-21- Thursday Part: Four

"Um, Lyra, your door seems to be... sagging."

"Yeah, I know. Fortunately I know a few temporary soundproofing spells."

"Why is it sagging?"

"Because it's old. And when things become old, they start to sag."

"Is this going to lead to nightmare fuel?"

"Only if you keep asking about old sagging things."

"Fine," sighed the young woman in blue.

Lyra attempted to brace the door with some more magic. But it wasn't going to hold too much longer. "I'll see about having another installed tomorrow morning." She leaned back in her chair and kicked her legs until she found a comfortable position and looked over the woman. "So, Margaret, how goes the job search."

"Well, I met Rarity on my way here, and she asked me if I might like a short term job as a model. I think I'll take her up on it."

"Be sure she turns up the temperature," Lyra instructed her.

"Why?" Margaret asked in confusion.

"Because it's winter I happen to know what she wants you to model," Lyra explained, but didn't clarify. "Now, this is good. Your transition to Equestrian citizenship will go much smoother with a source of income."

"But it's just a temporary thing," the woman sighed moodily. "I may have to relocate to another city or town... again, if nothing comes up."

"Awe, don't be so pessimistic," Lyra told her with a comforting smile. "You'll find a job soon enough. Probably."

"Thanks," Margaret sighed despairingly.

"Oh, com'on," Lyra chided her, "you have eight more months to find a steady job. That's more than enough time."

"I just don't want to be drafted to the Frontier," Margaret muttered.

Lyra gave her a look of sympathy. "Well, I'm sorry, but we try and find a place for everyone in Equestria. If you're not born a citizen and can't manage to get a job as an adult, than the Frontier is where you're needed. Even if you did wind up out their, it would only be for a year or two. Work hard enough you'd be back in a couple months. Or, you might wind up liking it."

"What's there to like about being pushed away from civilization?"

Lyra sighed and shook her head. "You're not being pushed away from civilization, you're out there to expand civilization. Plenty of ponies volunteer for it, chasing dreams of treasure and adventure. And quite a few of them find it. It's also a proving ground for those looking to join Equestria but can't quite seem to fit in.

"And it won't all be hard work. There's no shortage of jobs out there, either. Cooks, cleaners, sanitation stuff, warehouse staff, farm hands, and a multitude of employers that are always looking for extra help."

"You seem to know a lot about it."

"I was penpals with the mayor of New Appleoosa for a few years," Lyra explained with a shrug. "Nice guy, got the chance to go out and see him one time, thanks to the railroads that they were just recently laying out there. Had a great big family, and I mean big, lost count, and owned the most popular restaurant out there. Got a couple amazing free meals a soft bed, and made a lot of good friends."

"You make it sound so charming," Margret said most dubiously.

Lyra rolled her eyes at that attitude. "It's not to Wild West, Margaret. It's just territory that we need to fill in order to discourage some of our less-than-friendly neighbors from trying to annex those empty spaces."

"What if they take it before you get there?"

Lyra smiled. "Then we show them the documents that prove the land belongs to the Equestrians and politely punt them back across the border."

"Does it belong to Equestria?"

"Yes," Lyra said impatiently. "Its was purchased long ago from certain bankrupt empires and kingdoms that didn't know what they had."

Margaret thought it over a moment. "Sounds reasonable. But, I would still rather not have to go."

Lyra thought for a moment. "Well, I might have something that'll help you find a job quicker." She stretched her magic over towards the bookcase and selected a specific volume. "Tell me, have you ever read Darkest Darkness's Guide to the Most Terrifying Things in Existence?"

After the brief modeling job with Rarity, Margaret soon found herself the first manager of Don't Trot on Me.

Aryanne would comment: "I can hardly believe it myself. But, one minute I was interviewing applicants, and the next I was giving her a promotion. She worked so hard one might almost think she was physically terrified of stopping. Though, I can't imagine why."

PreviousChapters Next