• Published 29th Mar 2016
  • 265 Views, 2 Comments

To Build an Army - Tree Time



When her town is taken over by changelings, one mare's plan to save her sister will take her to a time and place were Sombra's return went unchallenged until it was too late.

  • ...
 2
 265

Chapter 3: Ponies at War

Long after sun set we disembarked from the train into the cold winter air of Snows Edge. In my world it was a small earth pony town that sat on board of northern and central Equestria. The night moon shown bright through the dark cloudy sky. I stopped, seeing a face I recognized waiting for us on the platform. Rainbow Dash was standing there, although it looked like she had seen better days. She was wearing a military looking padded combat vest. The left side of her face was badly scarred. A large chunk of her ear was missing, and her left wing had been replaced by a metallic prosthesis. My eyes light up. Her prosthesis was technology I had never seen before. “What happened to you?” I asked, before remembering that in this world I had never met her before.

She gave me a long look, eyeing the scroll around my neck. She gave no acknowledgement of my question. “I was sent here to collect you. I am to take you two to the Princess at once. Any questions?”

“No,” I replied weekly. Golden shook her head.

“Good, we are going by air. I hope you two are not afraid of heights.”

I didn't really have much time to process what she was saying before two pegasi swooped in and plucked Golden and myself high into the air. Dash shot off the ground behind us like a firework. The small town vanished far below us. She flew out ahead as we made our way further north, passing over the high ridges of the jagged Crystal Mountains. The range overlooked the northeast boarder of the Crystal Empire. The flight was cold, the wind howling. Thankfully the trip was short.

They set us down on a small flat patch of ground outside of a cave entrance. Two of Celesta's royal guards were stationed at ether side of the cavern's mouth. “Come with me,” Dash ordered.

We followed her into the cave, the guards watching us with a careful eye. I felt my body tingle was we walked under the cavern's yawning upper lip. I glanced over and Golden. My expression asking, “did you feel that too?” I caught her eye and knew she had.

Dash let out a short shorting laugh, “Ha, well guess you're not changeling spies. Good news for you. I was half hoping I would get to have some fun rather then sit through another boring meeting”

“Changeling spies?” I was about to ask, but then remembered how well the last question had went. I kept the thought to myself. My mind beginning to wounder how Steve was doing. She was most likely dead, but who knew. It made me kinda sad to think that she was never likely given a chance in this world. My internal ramblings were cut off as we arrived at a set of large iron doors. Two royal pegasi guards flanked the entrance on ether side. Both had ice blue crystal tipped spears and wore the same kind of combat vests as Dash.

Dash strode past them and pushed the doors open like she owned the place. “Our aces have arrived,” she proclaimed loudly.

I glanced quickly at Golden as the light from the room poured out into the dim hallway. A large ball of magic light flouted above a big round stone table. The table's surface was covered by a detailed magically projected map of Equestria. Around the table sat a number of faces I recognized from Ponyville. Celestia herself sat large and imposing directly across from the doorway we were entering from. Her face looked tired and her body battered. The light had gone from her eyes, replaced by the heavy burden of constant battle. To her left was Aloe and Lotus, the spa twins. There manes and tails had been cropped short and their once soft coats were hard and bristly. To Celestia's right was Pinkie and Maud Pie. Maud of all of them looked about the same as she did back home, but Pinkie... Her mane and tail were flat and her coat was dull in colour. All save Celestia were wearing combat vests. On our side of the table were three empty seats. Dash trotted to the one beside Maud. She sat and looked at us impatiently. I got her intent and polity made my way to sit. Golden followed suit.

I looked up at Celestia, feeling as if I was shrinking under her gaze. “I have a massage for you.” I said, pulling the scroll form around my neck and setting it on the table. It clipped through the map projection casing the whole thing to go a little staticky for just a moment.

She plucked it up with her magic and unfurled it, reading it slowly. The minuets seemed to slow to a crawl as she read. My heart rate slowly increasing with passing moment. Finally she finished and looked back at Golden and I. I held my breath. She smiled and rolled the scroll back up, placing it on the table in front of her. “My vision has come to pass, we now have all the pieces to end this conflict.” I could feel the room grow excited. “Stay your exuberance my children, we still have to put each of our parts together. Aloe, Lotus, could you report your progress on cracking the enemy's barrier spell.”

“Indeed Princess,” Aloe replied, “just like a hard knot in a ponies back, Sombra's barrier can be naturalized with the right earthy touch. We have found ways to crack the personal one's carried by his troops with the right strike. However, the one around his city would still take us to long to breach without being detected.”

“But if you had help you could bypass it, say for a small group?” Celestia asked.

Lotus was the one to answer, “If they were of our skill or greater, yes.”

“How about you Maud?” Celestia inquired, “what have you found from the rock samples gathered from outside Sombra's barrier.”

“They are rich in silica, beryllium, aluminum and oxygen among others. I would say they are likely mining them for food, and weapons.” Maud replied in a flat monotone.

“Dash,” Celestia said, turning to look at her, “what are the odds of getting a group of ponies to the edge of the barrier just before Luna raises the sun?”

“Me and my team could do it, what do you have planned?”

Celestia smiled, “patience commander.” Then turning to me, “Now, what does our earth mage know about bring down Sombra?”

I took deep breath. “You are not going to like it,” I said, trying to adjust their expectations. “We will need to use chaos magic. The kind Discord uses. A direct hit from that will separate his light and dark sides. Once separated a hit from the elements of harmony will resolve Sombra to his normal good minded state.”

The ponies in the room sifted uncomfortably before Dash blurted out, “why can't we just kill him?”

I gave her a stern glance, “Sombra is a being of shadow for one and can't be killed by normal means, and for another he is an innocent. Like Princess Luna he is himself a prisoner of a dark force. Killing him would not solve the long term problem, only delay its return.” I looked to Celestia for affirmation that she agreed with what I was saying.

She nodded in acknowledgement, “more death will not heal the hurt of our land. However...” she said, turning back to me,” as you likely know, we no longer have the Elements of Harmony.”

I nodded, “but you still have the crystal heart, if the heart is resorted at the same time as Sombra is split into his bright and dark sides. The love from the heart and the crystal ponies would banish his darkness for as long as he remained within the hearts aura. In time he could grow strong enough face it and vanquish it for good.”

Celesta shook her head, “that is too much trust to place in Sombra after what his had done.” She paused for a moment. Then, asked me thoughtfully, “what would happen if the heart was to be destroyed rather then replaced?”

I had to think about this. After a few long minuets of contemplation I replied, “if it was focused the right way it would work in place of the elements. However, I don't know enough about crystal pony magic to begin to guess how such a focus could be created.” Then it hit me, the memory of what Equestria had said, “But,” I blurted out with excitement, “I do know of somepony that can do such a spell.”

The room looked at Golden, she shook her head. “It's not me,” she answered, grinning.

“Her name is Winnow Wind, she is a slave in the mines under the Crystal City. I know she will have the missing part to this plan.”

Celestia smiled, “that just leave you Golden Sunrise, student of Stardust. What additions might we have missed?”

Golden went vary still. After a few seconds her ears flopped, tail waged, and left hoof shivered. She opened her eyes, we will need to makes plans for some unexpected guests,” she said.

Celestia nodded, now for what I know. When my sister and I fought Sombra long ago. He had the crystal heart stored at the top of crystal citadel at the centre of the Crystal City. It is the most secure place from crystal ponies.”

The eight of us began to disuses the details of our attack plan. By the end we had come together on what I felt was a plan that had a strong change of success. We would be dropped off outside the barrier surrounding the Crystal City. Aloe, Lotus Golden, and myself would bypass the barrier. Once in, Pinkie and Maud would tunnel their way into a mine shaft below ground. We would enter the mine and locate Winnow. With her in toe we would make our way to the armoury. Once there, we would gather the necessary tools for Winnow, as well as get the chaos crystals we would need from Discord's crystal prison. At about this time, Celestia's forces would have arrived outside the city in an attempted to draw Sombra out. Once armed, we would make our play for the heart. Sombra would likely be alerted at this point and try to intercept us. Aloe, Lotus, Golden, Pinkie, Maud and myself would hold him off while Dash retrieved the heart. Celestia would do her best to pursue Sombra as he moved to stop us. Aiding us in our fight against him if possible. Once Dash had the heart, we could cast the spell, save Sombra, and end the war. It was a good plan, but hinged on a player that we had not met yet. I was putting all my faith in Equestria's words. I truly hoped I had not misunderstood them.

“One last bit of good news,” Celestia said as we where about to leave. “Just before this meeting I received word that Tirek had been apprehended by Luna and her Night Guard. We can all rest a little easier tonight knowing he is safely back in Tartarus.”

I could feel the room relax at this much welcome news. “This way you two,” Aloe called, beckoning us to follow her. She lead us down a set of tunnels to a passage with a line of small nooks carved out of its walls. Each cove was filled with some basic bedding. “This one's yours,” she told me, “and that one,” she pointed the cove next to mine, “will be for you Golden.” I will be by to wake you for breakfast before we depart. If you need it, the latrine is the door at the end of the passage.”

I watched her move down the corridor to a few coves over and slip into her sleeping nook. I looked over at Golden, “well, we made it. Tomorrow we'll be in an active war zone.”

“You nevus?” she asked playfully.

“Yes, aren't you?”

“Na, I knew what I was getting into. You however,” she smiled, “I felt first hoof how you can defend yourself. You'll be fine.”

I chuckled, “okay, I guess its goodnight then.”

She smiled back at me, “night.”

I slid into my surprisingly comfortable bed, and I let myself relax. It didn't take long for me to fall into a much needed deep sleep.