• Published 29th Mar 2016
  • 265 Views, 2 Comments

To Build an Army - Tree Time



When her town is taken over by changelings, one mare's plan to save her sister will take her to a time and place were Sombra's return went unchallenged until it was too late.

  • ...
 2
 265

Chapter 2: War's Toll

Equestria was laying at the back of the cave, her mane was still. Black crystal jutted from her body in small scattered patches. The faint glow from her horn slowly growing dinner. “Equestria!” I cried out, rushing to her side. “Did the spell do this to you?” She smiled weekly as the light from her horn went out completely. The room passing to darkness. I moved to put my hooves on her in a last ditch attempt to help stop the dark flow of magic that was crystallizing in her body.

“Stop!” she commanded. Even in her weakened state her voice still rooted me to the spot.

“What happened?” I asked. I felt Golden nudged me in the side as she felt her way over.

“Sombra, and the death of harmony.” Equestria replied.

I froze, realizing we were both vary close and yet vary far from were we had just been. I could feel Golden vibrating beside me with excitement. Slowly I asked, “you know why we are here and where we came from?”

“Yes.”

“Then what must we do, and what must we know?”

“Twilight is dead, and the elements drained of there power by the sinister forces of the Crystal Empire. Without Twilight to stop him, Sombra was able to make a return and has taken over much of Equestria. His dark crystals have spread to the roots of the Tree of Harmony. Even after Discord removed his seeds from the ground, the elements still had to be returned to slow the advance of his dark crystals.

“How did they convince Discord to do that?” Golden asked.

“They didn't, Discord removed them to spite Sombra for rejecting his offer to join the Crystal Empire.”

“Where is Discord now?” I asked cautiously .

“Trapped by Sombra in a crystal that feeds off his chaos magic.”

“And Twilight?” My voice was soft.

“Killed by the changelings at the royal wedding. The whole city had to be abandoned. Many ponies lost their lives that day. It was the attention on retaking the city that prevented Celestia from stopping Sombra before he could cement his power over the Crystal Empire again.”

“What became of the changelings?” Golden asked worried.

“Exterminated, with Twilight's death something snapped in Celestia and she ordered that they be purged from Equestria. Only a handful likely still remain.”

“You couldn't bring Twilight back?” I asked.

“I tried, they brought her body to the tree where she sleeps now. With Celestia plunged into rage, and war gripping the land, my powers of harmony were to week to save her.” There was silence before Equestria spoke again, “to finish what you came here for you will need to save Sombra from the black spirit that dwells within him. The Sombra that you know was a living construct created with an enslaved soul from the Crystal Empire's long dead home plane. When the last of crystal ponies fled to Equestria, the dark spirits that had consumed their home world followed. The spirits were determined to feed off every last crystal pony till all had been consumed. When the last few survivors managed to transport themselves to here, the idea of Sombra was born to infiltrate and bring about the end of the Crystal Empire for good. However, even after Sombra succeeded in taking over the empire, the harmony of the land was till to strong for the dark spirits to invade. So they used Sombra to wage war on Equestria, thus weakening the land until their plans could be made manifest.”

“I thought that changelings were known as dark spirits.” Golden said, sounding a bit confused.

“The creatures of which you speak are just another race that has fallen to the darkness. They were once peaceful and loving just like you ponies, although that was another time and another place.”

“So all we have to do is save Sombra from this internal darkness that is controlling him?” I asked.

“Yes, do that and you will have your army.”

“Do you know how we can save him?” I pressed, feeling that this might turn into a vary long quest if I didn't get the information when I had the chance.

“Find a crystal pony by the name of Winnow Wind. She knows how to save him. She is a slave that works in the mines under the empire. Celestia has the rest of the information you need. Winnow will just make the difference for him.”

I was reminded of Celestia's message, “Not all paths need to end in death.” I nodded. Then, I remembered she likely couldn't see me in the total darkness. “Where is Celestia now?” I asked.

“The scroll you have will help you find her. Ponyville will be a good place to start looking.”

I nodded again, then let out a slow sigh. “Goodbye, and thank you,” I said, feeling a little embarrassed at myself.

“Bye, it was nice to meet you,” Golden chipped in.”

“Good luck my friends,” Equestria whispered, as Golden and I made our way out of the cavern.

I moved slowly up the stairs, making sure to count each step as I went. I had bumped my head into the stone door one too many times before. I stopped, Golden bumping into me. I reached out my hoof and touched the stone slab blocking the way out. A pulse of light flashed from my hoof as I drew the stone open. The dim light of dawn flowed into the narrow passageway. The walls shimmered with rainbows that formed from light passing through the Tree of Harmony. I stepped out into the new dawn light. It took us a few seconds to start to notice some of the differences between where we were and where we had been. This tree's elements where in their native gem form, and the tree was bare of Luna's and Celestia's marks. The tree looked, some how frail, its limbs wilted. Although that might have just been a trick of the dim light. At its base was a curled stone statue of Twilight Sparkle. Her eyes closed and body wounded. I stepped over the roots of the tree and placed my hoof on her back. I had almost forgotten what she looked like without wings. Sleep well, dear friend, I thought to myself before turning back to Golden. “You still on board with this plan of yours?” I asked, closing the rout to Equestria's sanctum.

She nodded, “I'm really excited. It's sorta been a dream of mine to do something like this for as long as I can remember.”

I jested at her with a perplexed look, “I am glad you are having a good time. Shell we be off?”

“Yeps” she replied gleefully, leading the way back to Ponyville.

The sun was fully up by the time we reached the outskirts of town, “was it just me, or did that sunrise feel a lot longer then normal?” I asked, turning to her.

She replied knowingly,“I bet all the fighting has weekend Celestia's magic. Most likely we will see lots of changes like this. That's what Stardust told me anyways.”

“Stardust told you of other worlds?”

“Yep, that's how I came up with this plan.”

I was about to press her further about this mysterious teacher, but my attention was pulled away by the sight of Ponyville. Most of the houses were boarded up and looked like they had been sitting empty for some time. The streets were vacant and there was no other ponies in sight. “Lets check Sugar Cube Corner,” I suggested, as we made our way through the town.

“You know somepony there?” Golden ask curiously.

“Pinkie Pie. If she is there, I am sure she can help us find Celestia.” We rounded the last street corner to see pealing paint and boarded windows.

“Hey, look a sign,” Golden pointed out, jabbing a hoof at a wooden letter board on the front door. She rushed up to it. “Gone to the city to join the war effort, closed until further notice.” she read aloud.

I shook my head, “if that is the case, I can only think of one pony that might still be here. Lets go,” I said, starting off in the direction of Sweet Apple Acres.

“What's over there?” Golden asked, cantering to catch up to me.

“Sorry I keep forgetting you're not from Ponyville. Applejack lives there, her and her bother run one of the largest apple farms in Equestria

“Ooh, I have heard of them. I always wanted to see their operation. “

“Well, I guess now you might get your chance.”

We didn't run into a single other pony the whole way out to Applejack's farm. As we made our way up the small hill to her house, the smell of industry grew thicker and thicker in the air around us. When we reached the top of the hill we could see out over the orchard. It looked sickly, as if somepony had been using unicorn magic on it. A large industrial looking grey brick building had been raised where the barn had once stood. Large blooms of brown smoke filled the sky above the farm, belched from two large stacks on the building's side. The whole scene felt wrong in so many ways.

“This is not really what I had imaged,” Golden said slowly as she looked around grungy farm.

“This isn't what it looked like back home.” I replied slowly. “There we go,” I pointed to the Applejack's house, “lets see if we can find Miss Apples and get some answers.” Golden nodded and we made our way up to Applejack's door. I knocked.

There was a long pause before Sweetie Belle answered, “Shooting Star? What are you doing back in Ponyville?”

“Ummm,” I stuttered. I had forgotten that I might have a counterpart in this world. My mental gears ground trying to find a solution to her question.

“He's Shooting Star's twin bother,” Golden said jumping in.

Sweetie Belle gave me a long suspicious look, “Is Applejack home?” I asked, trying to change the focus as fast as possible.

“She is out working in the field, she'll not be back in till lunch. I would invite you in, but as I don't know you... I have to ask Granny if it would be okay.”

I nodded, “Of course.”

“Granny!” Sweetie Belle tolled, trotting off into the house, “We have some ponies at the door who want to come in and visit.”

I turned to Golden. “Nice save. My mind blanked that twins can have the same mark as their sibling.”

Sweetie Belle came back a few monuments later, “Granny says that you're both welcome to come in. There is still some food left from breakfast if you would like. “

“Thanks,” I replied feeling the hunger of having missed my morning meal. “I think I would like to take you up on that offer.”

“And you?” Sweetie Belle asked, looking at Golden.

“Food would be great. I have heard about this farms apples. It would be great to try some.”

We followed her into the kitchen were Granny was sitting with the other two crusaders around the breakfast table. “This is Granny Smith, Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo. My name is Sweetie Belle.” She said, looking pleased.

“Nice to meet all of you,” Golden said beaming. “My friend here is Comet Star, and I'm Golden Sunrise.” I glanced at Golden, puzzled by her name choice.

“Welcome to Sweet Apple Acres,” the crusaders sang in unison.

My mind's gears started grinding again. Apple Bloom's mark was a clustering of white apple flowers in full bloom, Sweetie Belle's flank had a silver bell with a light purple quaver note on it. The bell was tied with a pink bow. Scootaloo had a scooter with a yellow lighting bolt on its deck. My mind hurt trying to comprehend the meaning behind this discovery. I gave up and just nodded to them in reply.

“Okay, now you three, “Granny said looking around at the three fillies. “Time to run along and get back to your chores.”

“Do we have to?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Ya,” Scootaloo added. “We never get to see any ponies any more.”

Granny grinned craftily, “at least let them finish eating. Then, maybe you can all show them around the farm.” She winked at me, “who knows, you two might run into old Applejack for your troubles.”

“Okay!” the crusaders all chimed, before scampering off out that back kitchen door.

“Come on you two, sit, and eat up before it get too cold.” I sat down and started to load my plate with apple pancakes, sliced apples and apple jelly. Golden joined in, finishing off the last to the pancakes. Granny grinned, “Applejack will not be too pleased that we gave away all this food to total strangers, but she needs get her heart back in it. Its my food too and I can share it with whoever I want.”

Golden swallowed her mouth full of apple, before asking, “Granny Smith, what happened here? I always heard of this place as beautiful and rich with life, but this farm seems near death.”

“War happened my child. The need to increase harvests drove us to make difficult choices, and the land suffered the results.” I could see the sadness in her old weary eyes. It's just me and Applejack now. Big Mac left to join the cause after we lost the battle of Blossom Bridge. That's the real reason for all the changes around here. It take more then one pony to run a farm right, but when one pony is all you've got, things are not ever going to quite work out right.”

“Can't you hire help for harvest” Golden asked, surprised.

“We try, but the help around that's of working age is Durpy Due, and shes worked to the bone taking care of all foals that have been left orphaned by the war.” A silence hung in he air for a few seconds. Golden seeming to wilt a little from what she head just heard, “It's okay,” Granny said looking Golden in the eyes, “we get by, no sense in you making our problems yours. Bet you have got plenty of your own to think about. One day we will win this war, and everything will get back to how its always been. Till then, we just have to do our part and keep the hope of a better life alive. “

I nodded, “Golden you about ready to head out?” She nodded vigorously in approval. I looked back at Granny Smith. “Would you like some help cleaning up?”

“Not in your life, you young fellas got better things to do then my work. If you take it away from me I'll not have much left to do. I am to old to be good for much else these days. Being an earth pony has its drawbacks when the earth is not right with itself.” she stopped, putting her hoof to her chin, “Comet Star you say?” she asked, looking at me.

“Yes,” I replied, a little faster then I would have liked.

“On second thought, I have something you could do for me after all.”

“Sure,” I replied feeling a little uneasy at agreeing to do something I did not yet know.

“If you run into Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie or any of the other guardians on your travels, could you tell them that the crusaders got their marks a few weeks ago?”

“Yes, I can do that.”

“The crusaders were a big part of life here in Ponyville before the war. I think it might bring them some small joy to know they have finally found who they are.” Granny smiled knowingly before calling out, “Apple Bloom,” she hollered, “could you come in here. It's time to show our guests about.”

Apple Bloom came galumphing in, “Yes, Granny. I'm steady and ready to go.” Granny nodded in our direction. “Come with me you two, I have so much to show you.” We followed Apple Bloom out back to were Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle where working their way through the washing. “We got more important thing to do now,” she proclaimed proudly. “We got to show these two nice ponies around our farm.”

Her friends dropped what they where doing instantly and shot over to us. “Come with us, we'll give you the VIP rundown.” They said in unison.

“Lead the way.” I said as I glanced over at Golden. And with that we were off. The three of them leading us down the winding rows of apple trees. “How did you all get your marks?” I asked curiously.

Scootaloo was the first to chime in, “it was really unexpected,”she began, before being interrupted by Apple Bloom.

“Ya, we had just heard that Scootaloo was clinically flightless. The doctors said that her wings would never grow to a point where she could fly like a normal pegasus.”

“Apple Bloom this is my story.”

“Sorry, I am just still excited is all.”

“But, ya, Apple Bloom is telling the truth, I was told I would never be able to fly. It was in the darkness of that moment that I found the courage within myself to carry on, and keep going even though everything seemed hopeless. That is when I got this,” she nodded to the scooter on her flank.

“Isn't it cool?” Apple Bloom chipped in excitedly.

“It is indeed.” I replied, before looking over at Apple Bloom, “ and how about you?”

“Oh, well I got mine at about the same time. I found Applejack crying in her room. I came in to ask what was wrong. She told me that she was losing hope that we could ever win this war, and that everything we were fighting for was just meaningless violence. I told her, sure as spring rain us ponies would find a way to make things right, and the land would bloom again with soft new flowers from the labours of our hard work. It seemed to really help her as she stopped crying and gave me one of the biggest hugs I think I ever remember getting from her. And that is really saying something if you knew my sister. But after she let go, this appeared,” she waggled her rump.

I smiled, even in a time of hardship and suffering these little foals still manged to keep an up beat outlook on life. “And you Sweetie Belle?” I asked.

“Well, I got mine at about the same time as my friends, “I was singing a song to myself about what we would do when all our families were back in Ponyville. Granny overheard what I was singing and said it was an inspiration to her to hear what the future might hold. In that moment something just made sense inside me and I knew what I was meant to do. The next thing I knew, I had my mark.”

Apple Bloom grinned, “ya, we were working so hard to find our talents that we overlooked what made us special all along.”

They turned to us and with hooves around each other proclaimed in unison, “our ability to inspire others.”

“I am courage,” Scootaloo said smiling.

“And I am inspiration,” Sweetie Belle chimed in.

“And as for me, I am optimism,” Apple Bloom concluded beaming proudly.

I chuckled, glancing over at Golden who was smiling along with me.

“Hey, what you all doing out here?” Applejack's voice echoed through the trees.

“We where just telling our new friends how we got our marks,” Apple Bloom said quickly.

“Vinyl, Carrot Top is that you?”

“I let out a long sigh, and looked over at Golden. She had a big smug smirk on her face. I could tell she was amused, even if she had no idea who Vinyl was.

“No, it ain't” Apple Bloom called back.

“Well, what do you know,” Applejack said as she got close enough to see that I was indeed not Vinyl. “Does Granny know were you three are?” She asked looking at Apple Bloom.

“Yes, she told us to give these two a tour of the farm.” Apple Bloom replied looking unsure.

“Ya, they came all this way just to see you.” Scootaloo add, “we were just showing them some Apple hospitality.”

Applejack turned back to look at me. “Then, what brings you to Ponyville. Good news, I hope.”

“That's not Shooting Star,” Apple Bloom whispered to her sister.

“Course it is, just look at that mark. A pale blue eight pointed star with a comet tail. Plus how many other stallions do you know that can be mistaken for Vinyl?”

“I am afraid your sister's right, although I am related. We are twins.”

“He never told me about no twin. Then again, I never really knew him all too well. Guess it must be odd having the same mark as your bother. Only other ponies I've seen like that is the two twins that use to run the spa in town. But hey, it's still nice to see a new face around here.” She turned back the the crusaders, “you three run along now. I'll see what this fellow and is friend need. You all have work that needs doing I'm sure.

“Nice to meet you,” they said as they reluctantly headed back towards the farm house.

“So, what brings you two all the way out here?” She asked, “and sorry, I don't think I caught you name miss.” She said, raising a hoof to Golden.

“My name is Golden Sunrise. Nice to meet you.”

“To answer your question, I need to deliver a scroll to Celestia,” I pointed the scroll around my neck. “I know you knew my brother and thought that you would be a pony I could trust to help me.”

“Well, I am not sure I'm going to be able to help you much. Since Twilight died I've not really had anything to do with Celestia. Best I could say is to take the train to Snows Edge. From there I'm sure somepony will know were to send you.”

“Thank you, Applejack.” I said turning to leave.

“If you see my breather, Big Mac, tell him I say hello from home.”

“I will,” I replied.

“You think she'll be okay?” Golden asked as made our way to the rail stain back in Ponyville.

“I think so, but I'm starting to feel a bit more invested in our goal then I would like to admit to myself.

Golden smiled and playfully bumped into my shoulder. “See, I knew you had a soft side.”

I sighed and shook my head, “we still need to remember that this is not our world. A little detachment is important if we are to remain focused.” I explained as we walk through the empty streets.

“Ya, and little compassion is important if we want their help” Golden said with a knowing look. “Plus your teacher totally sent you here, so you might as well enjoy it.”

The station looked just as run down as the rest of the town. I saw a few ponies milling around on the platform. A thick sadness seeming to cling to them like some invisible dark cloud. I didn't really recognize any of the them. I moved up to the ticket window, “I need travel for two to Snows Edge,” I said.

The ticket mare behind the counter looked at me, “Do you have your military service form filled out? She asked.

“No”, I replied. “I need to deliver a message. I nodded to the scroll around my neck with the Celestia's official seal stamped on it.

She leaned over the counter and took a long hard look at the scroll.“Wait here,” she said, moving off back into the building. Presumably, to ask somepony about what she was to do. She was back in less then a minute. Here are your two tickets to Snows Edge. There will be a military officer waiting there for you. They will be the one determining if you can see the High Commander.”

I nodded in understanding, and took the tickets with my hoof. “Here,” I said, passing one to Golden as we turned and headed for the train. “Looks like we made it just in time for the midday departure.” Golden smiled, taking her ticket in her mouth.

“Tickets please,” a rather old looking male pony with a sky blue coat and long grey mane asked. We presented him with our tickets and boarded the passenger car.

The inside looked a bit different from the bright and cheery colours the train had back home. The seats were faded and the fabric ripped. The whole car felt well used and under maintained. Golden sprung up onto one of the seats.” You think we could start to show me some of your magic on our trip? We will be going to a war zone. I would like to be prepared.”

Her tone took me a little off guard. She seemed to be genuinely excited to see conflict. And what's more, it felt like she had been planning this for a long time. A lot longer then her village had been invaded for anyway. I glanced around the car. There were three other mares sitting in it with us. I had seen them in passing back in my world, but hadn't had a chance to get to know them. They all had a look of a fear and conviction in there eyes. I shook my head. “I can't risk making a scene. I will show you some of what I know when we get to Snows Edge, if there is time.”

“Well you're no fun.” she prodded me, “you need to let go of your detachment. It's drawing more attention to us then magic ever would.”

My detachment?” I asked as the train lurched into motion, “why? Is it my cool and calm demeanour you are taking issue with, or is it the fact that I don't dump explanation for everything on the slightest provocation?”

“No, its just you don't seem present. You are looking at everything from a such removed perspective. Kinda a downer.”

I gave her a hard look, she smiled, “Golden, please remember that not just this morning I was planning to go and read some books with Twilight. The highlight of my day was going to be contemplating who was higher on the pecking order, Spike or me. Now, I'm riding off to war in another world. Personally, I think I am doing pretty good with being grounded in the satiation.”

“Okay, you have a far point, but still,” she said gesturing out the window, “doesn't this get your blood pumping?”

“Sorry, but who are you?” I asked, “I never really had a chance to ask. I just sorta went along with your plan at first because you black mailed me, and then because Equestria seemed to be in on it. But now that I might not ever make it back home, I'm starting to rethink the blind trust I have placed in my teacher.”

“I am Golden Sunrise. I live in Equine Junction. My mark is a golden sun rising over a field of yellow sun squash. Its meaning translates to “a golden harvest, or harvest of great worth.” I got my mark when I realized that the normal life I had been working so hard to fit in with was not the life I had really been growing. I had been thinking the seeds I was planting were for something normal, when fact they were for something I couldn't have imagined. I know you're not a farmer, but to do know what sun squash are?”

“Sun squash?” I replied, “they are similar to zap apples in that they have a bunch of odd magic related rules around growing and harvesting them.”

She nodded, and then smiled, “the perfect metaphor for my special telnet.”

I was a little stunned, “that's a lot to take in.”

“I know, but you asked. Anyways, after I got my mark I met Stardust and she showed me all sorts of stuff about earth pony magic and the ways of Equestria. She told me that other worlds were real, and that they could be accessed by magic portals. She told me that long ago ponies could even make such portals, but in current times they all have been destroyed.”

I let out an inviolability laugh remembering Twilight's Equestria Girls stories. “Way to crush somepony's dreams,” I replied with a chuckle.

She gave me an off look, “I don't get it. What's so funny?”

“Sorry, just something Twilight showed me.”

She rolled her eyes playfully, “if you say so.” She paused, “anyways, Stardust told me that someday something like this would happen, and I have been preparing for it ever since. That's why I'm cool with all this new stuff. This is like a great release for me. I finally get to save my home, and fulfill my roll in the greater world around me.”

“And did Stardust tell you that I would be part of your grand adventure?”

“Not exactly. She told me that I would need to find a master of earth pony magic, and that they would be hiding in plain sight.”

“”Master, well that's high praise. I'm not sure I would call myself a master, because of, you know, unicorns.”

“Well your good enough for me.”

“Okay, if you say so.” I said smiling. I was trying to hide it, but I was pleased to have somepony be able to acknowledge my many years of hard work. The rest of the train ride passed in relative silence. We made some small talk, but nothing really of memorable note. It was nice to have a friend that knew my secrets and that I could talk to about my life if I wanted. I knew I wasn't ready for that just yet, but the possibility filled me with hopeful optimism. I thought about asking more about Stardust, but I really couldn't see myself finding the right questions to learn anything I didn't already know.