• Published 15th Mar 2016
  • 2,453 Views, 104 Comments

Dear Twilight Sparkle - Penmore



After three months of silence, Twilight finally receives a reply from Princess Celestia.

  • ...
8
 104
 2,453

On The Farm

"Morning Spike." Twilight sang as Spike was coming down from the room.

It was weird, to say the least for Twilight to wake up before Spike as he usually had to have breakfast ready. It was even weirder for her voice to be coming from the kitchen. Though it was certainly not out of the ordinary for smoke to be rising and Spike taking over. Twilight apologized and sat down after being told not to bother him cooking, he appreciated the gesture, but would rather not lose their new home to one of Twilight's attempts at the culinary arts.

"Here you go Twilight, I managed to salvage the pancake mix and added blueberries along with bits of peaches. Oh, and here is some cucumber water to go along with it." Spike set both of the items in front of Twilight while serving himself some rather blackened discs to go with his drink.

"Spike, you don't have to eat them. I know I messed up but, you shouldn't submit yourself to eating my failure at cooking."

"Twilight, its fine, I'm eating them not because I'm your assistant but by my freewill. Besides, its' not every day you try and make breakfast, and I certainly haven't seen you this lively in a long time. Also, these aren't that bad really what with me being a dragon and all its' like eating a rather dull gem." He took a bite with a resounding crunch and gulped down some of the water to help it along.

"Thank you, Spike, again." Twilight started to eat her pancakes, and the meal was mostly silent. Only slight conversation with how the time apart would be handled between the two of them.

"So you'll be spending, at least, a week with AJ, Rarity, Fluttershy, Dash, and Pinkie in that order?" Spike asked cleaning the plates off the table.

"Yes, once done Mom and Dad should be coming here to spend some time together and get to know everypony. After they leave, that's when you and I will be spending time together. I promise Spike; I want to make sure that the time we spend together is more than just work. I want to thank you for everything you've done for me."

Spike stopped washing the dishes and wipes his claws on the apron he wore. "I understand Twilight and don't worry so much about it. I do it because you're family to me, and its just something family does for each other."

Twilight pulled the baby dragon with her magic into a hug. She always had trouble seeing him as more than a baby dragon but, it was a time like this she realized that he was growing into a handsome drake. One that was mature beyond his years and smarter than most his age. Spike hugged her back and pulled away to continue washing the dishes. Twilight went upstairs and started to gather her things for the beginning of the week. Once ready she went downstairs to say goodbye to Spike. He would be in charge of the library while she was gone but, she would occasionally come by and check on him and ask for her letters to be sent in case she learned anything on friendship.

Applejack stood at the entrance to the farm waiting for the purple unicorn mare to arrive. She had the week planned out for the two of them and couldn't wait to spend time with her friend. It was hard to know that she couldn't do much to get Twilight to come outside, and it didn't help that she needed to take care of the farm as well. She had tried the least since it was around the time that Big Mac went to visit relatives to help with a huge harvest. With him having returned last week she now had more time to spend with her friends. AJ was looking forward to spending her time with Twilight.

"Applejack! How are you? You didn't have to wait here for me." Twilight said approaching AJ and initiating a hug.

"I know sugarcube but, its' been a long time since we last spent some time together and I wanted to start as soon as you came."

They pulled apart and walked towards the house to put away Twilight's things and begin their day. Once settled in and knowing that she was going to sleep in AJ's room, Twilight spent the next few minutes going on about sleepovers.

"Oh, and we can do our manes and make-up. It says here in Ch.5 that it's' one of the top ten things to do when having a sleepover. Oooh and then theres…"

"Twi, I get that you're as excited to try out some of the things as I am spending time with you but, sometimes its' best we just go with the flow." AJ grabbed the book and put it on her nightstand much to Twilight's disappointment.

"You're right AJ; I got a bit carried away for a moment. The week is about spending time together and knowing one another better than before. I guess we can't exactly do that if I rely on a book the whole time."

They walked outside, and Twilight said hello to Granny Smith as she was cooking Lunch. AJ grabbed a couple of apple ciders from the fridge and led Twilight to the south field. The field was one of the few with nearly all the apples harvested. They sat near one of the nearby trees and relaxed for a bit.

"Applejack, I never really realized how beautiful your farm is, the fresh air and the trees that span for acres. I've never actually took the time to appreciate such things."

"I know, I love this place and wouldn't trade for anything in the world." She took a sip of her cider and enjoyed the breeze that blew through the field.

"I have to thank you again for letting me spend the week here; I know you're busy with taking care of the farm, and I'll be glad to help out any way I can while I'm here." Twilight finished her cider and put it in a bag she had brought for trash. She also took AJ's empty bottle once she finished.

"Its' ok Twi, I'm glad you're finally out of your place after so long. I'd appreciate the help, love it honestly, but we would rather not just use magic for doing things here. Here, we rely on our natural earth pony magic. Magic is handy and can be faster at doing just about everything here, but it just isn't the same as relying on your body and the feeling after finishing a hard task."

"I think I understand Applejack if you believe that magic won't result in the way you want it to then I'll be happy to help without using my magic."

AJ looked at Twilight with a slight smile which turned into a grin and eventually a full on laugh. She laughed for a good minute and Twilight just let her continue with a frown. AJ stopped after another minute and wiped away a tear before regaining her composure.

"Sorry about that Twi, I didn't mean to laugh so much about what you said. It's just that you going a day, much less a week, without using your magic is kinda funny. I mean, you are the element of magic so you'll excuse me if the idea is ridiculous."

Twilight got up and walked closer to AJ with determination in her eye. "I can get along just fine without my magic. I don't see how hard it'll be just to move something around and harvest apples. While, I understand that it requires strength and endurance it doesn't mean that I don't want to help."

"Alright, alright, sorry Twi. I should know better than to expect less of you or anypony else for that matter. If you want to help, then you're more than welcome to for the week. Though, I did just want you to be around to talk when I work and relax so we could just take it slow."

"Please Applejack, let me help. I want to know what its' like to go through a day on the farm just like you. I want to relate better to the kinds of hardships you have in your life, and maybe we can bond a bit closer in the process."

"Hardships huh?" AJ looked at her and for a moment, she looked rather sad. It was only the briefest of frowns but, it was enough for Twilight to notice.

"Alright then Twi, I'll let you help out on the farm. I just want you to remember that if at any point in time you feel like quitting, I won't hold it against you. Not only are you not as athletic as Dash or I but, you've never worked on a farm before I take it."

"Fine, I'll let you know if it gets too hard. I, however, doubt that it'll get to that point, and I'll be more than enough help." Twilight smiled at her statement, and AJ just shook her head.

They walked back to the house to get ready for lunch and on the way AJ told Twilight all the things they would be doing before dinner. It was more than Twilight had thought, and already she regretted her previous boasting but, she pushed aside her doubts and looked forward to helping her friend. Anything to show her sincerity on wanting to know her better. Who knows maybe it would all end in a friendship report in the end. They reached the house and washed their hooves upstairs before lunch. Just before heading down Twilight stopped by AJ's room, AJ followed close behind wondering what she was doing.

"Twi? Lunch is on aren't you going to eat?"

"Oh I will Applejack, I just need to write a quick letter to the princess about how I'll be doing farm work without magic for the week. Have to keep her up to date with my studies right?"

"Oh… right…" AJ frowned as Twilight began to write. It was a short letter, and Twilight didn't write for long.

"Ok, now I just need to give it to Spike to send after lunch, and we'll be set."

"Uh, Twi?"

"Yes, Applejack?"

"I have to pick up Applebloom after lunch, so maybe I can drop it off at the library? Besides you can help Big Mac for a bit while until I return. Let you get used to it a bit before getting to hard stuff."

Twilight thought about it for a second and didn't seem to mind. It made sense to her since AJ had to pick up her sister and it wouldn't take long. She floated the scroll over to her, and AJ put it under her hat. Twilight smiled and thanked her again before heading downstairs, leaving AJ alone in the room.

AJ sighed and took the letter from under her hat. Looking at the scroll she had doubts about whether Twilight really wanted by spending time together by choice or just to please the princess. For now, she knew it was best to just ignore it the mixed feelings she was getting from all of this and returned the letter under her hat and headed down for lunch.

Author's Note:

Chapter 3 is out! The rough idea I have for the series was done shortly after going through with this sequel and now I have a full plan as to where I want this to go. Though, I have my doubts as to whether or not I can stick to it because I might see a better way to twist things in the future. I'm actually enjoying writing this one as much as Paradox Scholar for the main reason that it doesn't need as much research.

As always, thank you for reading the story and please leave a comment or critique. Have a great day!