• Published 13th Jun 2012
  • 16,825 Views, 923 Comments

Duel Nature - Eakin



After a close call, Twilight learns to defend herself

  • ...
72
 923
 16,825

Luna Trolls an Archaeologist

Luna and Twilight emerged from the hotel room into the bright morning sun. Twilight yawned. Even though she had grabbed a few hours of sleep while Luna had been working on paperwork, she was still pretty beat. She felt a slight twinge of jealousy that her companion functioned just fine on an hour or two of sleep in the mid afternoon. “Where to now, Princess?” she asked.

Luna thought for a moment. “If we remember correctly, Captain Reinolds stated that he would be attending an unusually lengthy therapy session on this morn. However, we have heard that the Smithponian museum has just opened up a new exhibit, perhaps you would like to accompany us there?”

A museum! Twilight’s eyes lit up and she nodded vigorously at Luna’s suggestion “That sounds like a great idea, Princess! I’d love to!”

“We believe it is in this direction, come along.”

Twilight and Luna walked through the street, Luna greeting passersby and made small talk on the way over while Twilight stayed alert and scanned the streets for any pony that might be a threat. The fact that Luna stood out from the crowd and drew attention wherever they went made her task doubly stressful. Every pony wanted to come up and bump her hoof or just gush about getting to meet a princess. Studying every one of them for body language or movements that might indicate they were aggressive and making a snap decision as to whether or not they could be trusted within the span of a second was draining. She was happy to finally reach the museum without incident.

It was the major downside of travelling with Luna as her body guard. The streets of Pensacolta were gorgeous, lined with colorful stalls and merchants selling local treasures to the tourists and local ponies. Palm trees had been planted in the middle of the wide thoroughfare, and their big broad leaves offered a shady refuge from the heat. If she had been traveling alone or with her friends she would have enjoyed taking in the local color and browsing the stalls. But as things stood she couldn’t let her attention wander for a moment. As crazy as the idea of a pony trying to attack the princess seemed to her, Luna was trusting her to be vigilant and Twilight had no intention of letting her down.

A huge banner hung above the main entrance. New This Month At The Smithponian, Come Discover The Lost Treasure Of Ouroboros! it declared. The facade of the building looked to be under renovation as well, the stonework near the top of the building had been partially disassembled and was covered in scaffolding. The two walked into the main lobby, Twilight paused as they passed from the bright outdoors into the more dimly lit lobby of the building.

“Welcome to the Smithponian Museum!” said the attendant at the information desk. “Wait... Princess Luna? I wasn’t told that you were visiting today.” Twilight recognized the very early stages of a panic attack in the young blue mare, barely more than a filly really, with a cutie mark depicting an information pamphlet. After months in Luna’s service she’d come to realize just how quickly most ponies would panic if they thought they had disappointed one of the Princesses in even the most minor way. Luna’s desire to lock herself away in the palace most of the time rather than always dealing with that had made a little bit more sense to her afterwards.

“Fear not, we are not here in any official capacity. What is thy name?”

“My name is Fact Check, your highness, it’s a delight to meet you!”

“Likewise! We are most pleased to make thy acquaintance. We heard of your wonderful new exhibit and wished to come by in order to view it.”

“The Ouroboros exhibit? Oh, yes of course! I’ll go get the curator who put it together right away. I’m sure he would love to give you a tour personally!” said Fact Check, overflowing with enthusiasm as she picked up on an opportunity to atone for her imagined slight.

“There is no need for that, we do not wish to be a bother-”

“Oh it’s not a bother at all! I’m sure the curator will insist as soon as he meets you, in fact, let me take you over to his office right away!” said Fact Check.

Luna looked down at Twilight, who just shrugged. There probably wasn’t a graceful way out of this situation without at least meeting the curator, might as well just go along with it for now. The two of them were led through the halls of the museum, Twilight catching glimpses of other interesting exhibits as they went. She knew she was lucky to have this chance to meet the curator, but she also wished that she could linger over the exhibit on ancient print and typography. Just for a few hours. That kind of thing couldn’t be rushed if you wanted to really appreciate it.

Fact Check stopped in front of an office door and pounded on it with her hoof. “Professor Secrets?” she called out “Would you come out here please?”

“Fact Check, I told you I didn’t want to be disturbed!” said a voice from inside the office. The door swung open to reveal an older earth pony stallion, his coat had once been a vibrant crimson, but now there were enough gray hairs mixed in to give the overall impression of a lighter scarlet color. “What could possibly be so... important... that...” his voice faded away as he saw the two ponies who accompanied Fact Check.

“We did not mean to disturb you, professor” said Luna “Twilight and I were just eager to see the new exhibit on Hippocamp culture and religion. We do not want to be a burden or inconvenience”

“What? No, it’s no trouble at all! It’s a privilege to meet you, my name’s Buried Secrets, and welcome to the Smithponian. I would be honored to show you around the exhibit, your highness. In fact we both will. Bronze! Get out here!” said the professor as he spun his head around to call back into his office, his blonde mane whipping around and into Twilight’s face. She spat out a few stray hairs.

“Just a sec, professor! I’m on my way” came a voice from the back of the office. It was crowded around the door, and Twilight wasn’t able to get a good look at the stallion the voice belonged to.

“Princess Luna!” exclaimed the voice. Professor Secrets moved aside to let the new pony through. From beside Fact Check and Luna, all Twilight could make out was the young unicorn stallion’s head that poked through the door frame. He seemed to be much younger that the professor, and his coat was an understated gray except where a stray beam of light happened to fall on it. That one spot burst forth with a vibrant silver glow that dazzled and surprised Twilight.

“We are very happy to meet you both. Allow me to introduce our associate, Twilight Sparkle” said Luna. The two stallions turned their attention to Luna’s companion, apparently noticing her for the first time.

“Charmed” said Professor Secrets before returning his attention to flattering Luna again. The other stallion wasn’t quite so hasty. Twilight noticed that the expression of awe-struck reverence he’d had while speaking to the princess had morphed into more of a goofy, lopsided grin.

“Hi” he said “I’m Bronze Bell.” He slipped past Buried Secrets out into the hallway, revealing a cutie mark that, sure enough, depicted an ornate bronze bell. Fact Check, apparently satisfied that the Princess was in good hooves, left to return to her post in the lobby. “Just call me Bronze, though. Everypony else does”

“Twilight Sparkle. But I guess you already heard that. I’m travelling with the Princess” said Twilight, bumping Bronze’s hoof. She was more than a little surprised that he was even addressing her. Most ponies ignored her entirely and fixated on Luna. “So what kind of special talent goes with a bronze bell?”

“Oh, this? I do artifact restoration for the museum, I have since I was a colt. Helps pay my tuition for graduate studies over at the local university”

“Wow! That must be so amazing to work in a museum! You’re a student too? My special talent is magic and back in Canterlot I study-”

“Twilight, we’re heading to the exhibit now. Care to join us?” Interjected Luna from a little ways down the hall.

Twilight blushed a bit at how caught up she’d gotten in her conversation. “Right behind you, Princess!” she said, trotting down the hallway after her and the professor. Bronze Bell turned to follow her.

The professor was going on and on about his credentials and career to Princess Luna, while Twilight mostly tuned out what he was saying while she looked around. Every once in awhile she would glance back towards Bronze Bell and catch him looking at her, but whenever their eyes met he just blushed and looked away.

He probably thinks you’re just some pampered noble filly travelling with Princess Luna. Twilight thought to herself. Too bad, he’s kinda cute.

The foursome reached the gallery where the new exhibit was on display. Professor Secrets cleared his throat to attract their attention. “Thank you for coming to visit our new exhibit here at the Smithponian” he began “The story of Ouroboros the sea serpent is one that pervaded the Hippocamp culture throughout the ancient era. The legends speak of him as a great beast that would raid their villages and attack their ships, stealing away their wealth and devouring their people. However, this all seems to have stopped when their fishing village made contact with the Kingdom of Equestria. At that point the elaborate cultural myth of Ouroboros broke down as trade with Equestria increased. More enlightened ponies such as myself have concluded that the tale of the sea serpent who robbed ships of their treasure to increase its hoard was, in fact, an elaborate metaphor for piracy and the negative effects of colonialism, which depleted the outer provinces of... um.. yes, Princess? Do you have a question?”

Twilight turned to look at the Princess, whose front hoof was raised into the air.

“More of a comment, really” said Luna “We are quite certain that Ouroboros wasn’t a metaphor.”

The professor scoffed “With all due respect, Princess Luna, I have devoted the last fifteen years of my life to deciphering the culture of the Hippocamp. I am the only living pony who can even begin to translate the now-extinct language they once spoke, and I am the foremost expert on their history. What makes you so sure his banishment was not a metaphor for stabilized trade relations?”

“We are eminently impressed by thy devotion to the Hippocamp people and their culture, Professor...” began Luna

The professor’s chest swelled with pride at the perceived comment. “Thank you, Princess! Now if you’ll turn your attention over this way-”

“...However” Luna continued “There is one piece of evidence that you have overlooked that convinces us that you are not entirely correct”

The professor’s face fell “What might that be, Princess?” he asked

Luna smiled. “We were there. We were the one who provided assistance to the Hippocamp people and banished the great serpent Ouroboros, who had raided their oceanic trade lanes for generations. It was the condition they gave for allying with Equestria.” she said “Celestia may have helped as well” she muttered as an afterthought, waving a hoof dismissively.

The professor was momentarily rendered speechless, but quickly recovered a moment later “That’s... that’s quite the tale, but since no pony can read the written record the Hippocamp left behind before their language died out-”

“We can read Hippocamp” said Luna “Speak it, too. We find it a most enjoyable language to curse in when the servants disappoint us. What a shame that no other speakers exist, we are sure that by now our accent is atrocious due to disuse”

Professor Buried Secrets could only gape at her, but was still unwilling to concede entirely. “That’s... that’s not possible. I sent a request to the palace for any materials on Hippocamp language over a decade ago...”

“Oh, Celestia doesn’t speak Hippocamp anymore, we suspect” said Luna “She’s only fluent in about a dozen languages or so, and knows enough to get by in a few more,” she smiled “We, on the other hand, have a bit more of a talent for it. We must not have been back from the moon when your letter arrived, or we suppose we could have saved you some time”

The professor glanced wildly back and forth around the room as he took all of this in. “So... I suppose that the story of the three artifacts that were brought together to seal him away and then enshrined in this land to maintain it isn’t actually talking about the importance of maintaining an even division of powers between the three branches of government” he continued.

“Nope, actual artifacts. Since we couldn’t take them too far away from the seal itself or risk them falling into the wrong hooves, we built a bunch of temples with lots of puzzles and traps and locked them away, as was the fashion of the time.” said Luna.

“Right! Because if you had all three of those and the ritual, you could either unseal Ouroboros or take control of it, just like the legends say!” said Bronze, who was practically vibrating with excitement “I knew it! I knew it wasn’t just a myth!” He turned to Twilight and stared directly into her eyes. She blushed a little at his earnest intensity, but his enthusiasm was catching “Do you have any idea how frustrating it is? To know, just know that an old story about some terrible beast sealed away over a millenium ago wasn’t just an old pony tale, but not have anyone believe you?”

Twilight giggled. “Better than you might think, actually” she said with a coy smile as she glanced at Luna, who rolled her eyes but wore just the slightest hint of a smile herself.

Bronze Bell went on, wandering the exhibit looking at the artifacts as if for the first time. “All the accounts of the ritual say the three main components are a plate, a bowl, and a knife, and we just restored a gorgeous plate that had been recovered from a tomb less than 50 miles from here! It must be the first one! We just need to find the other two!”

“Actually we think we see the bowl over here as well” said Luna “although for some reason it bears the label ‘Primitive Ashtray’” Professor Buried Secret was crestfallen as he thought about the two weeks of work he’d spent identifying that ‘ashtray.’

Bronze, however, was becoming even more excited. “It could all be here! We could perform the ritual again and-”

NO!” shouted Luna “ABSOLUTELY NOT!" She took a deep breath and tried to calm herself. “We will not permit that. The ritual presents an extraordinary risk to all of Equestria. It would undo the seal that has held the great serpent at bay for 1500 years. We made a very deliberate choice when we created it. Though the power and wealth the monster had accumulated tempted us greatly, sealing it all away was the responsible choice and one we would not see undone.”

Bronze was still shaken from being exposed to the Royal Canterlot voice. He recovered, but his enthusiasm had waned a bit. “Oh, I’m sorry Princess, I got kinda caught up in the moment there”

Luna put on the kindest smile she could muster “Do not trouble yourself. We admire your enthusiasm and have no wish to condemn you for it. The temptation is great, we will admit, but be assured only terror and darkness lie in that direction.” She extended a hoof to help him regain his footing. “Perhaps we could return to your office, we would be happy to answer any questions you might have about the grammar and syntax of the Hippocamp language?”

Bronze perked up again at the offer “Really? That would be amazing! Wouldn’t it professor?” he said, glancing back at Buried Secrets who muttered something unintelligible but followed along the others as they returned to his office.

Luna spent the next 45 minutes describing as much of the Hippocamp language as she could remember, while the two scholar ponies scribbled down their notes on parchment as quickly as they could. They were deeply focused and silent except to ask a brief question or request some small clarification of a particular detail. She also took a look at the artifacts the museum was in the process of restoring, pointing out whatever details she could remember regarding their use or cultural importance. Her revelation that the “important religious document” Buried Secrets had been struggling to comprehend for the past month was actually an ancient take-out menu finally reduced the poor stallion to tears.

Twilight and Luna took that as an invitation to leave the office waving goodbye to Bronze Bell, who pulled out a well-worn textbook and seemed to be cross referencing something with his new notes and Buried Secrets, who pulled out a flask and took a long pull from it.

Luna and Twilight walked back in the direction they’d come, wending their way through the museum’s other exhibits. “That was most enjoyable. We will have to remember to correspond with the professor about his studies more frequently” said Luna.

Twilight and Luna wandered the other exhibits until they began to grow hungry. Waving goodbye to Fact Check on their way out, they stepped back out into the mid-day hustle and bustle of the city. It had been several hours since they entered the museum and the city had sprung to life as the day went on. The once quiet streets were now packed with ponies rushing to and fro. Twilight and Luna stopped at the base of the stairs. “We are feeling peckish. What sort of lunch would you prefer, Twilight?” asked Luna.

Rather than answer the question, Twilight wrapped Luna in a field of her magic and flung her across the street.

Luna wasn’t hurt, even as she landed on her side, but she was startled by the outburst. “Twilight! What is the meaning of-”

She was cut off when the giant slab of rock landed on the spot she’d been standing a moment ago.

Twilight staggered back from where the rock had landed, only inches from her face. There had been no time to explain, she had just reacted after seeing the stone dislodge itself from the facade of the museum. Other pieces of stone, smaller but still heavy enough to crush a pony, were tumbling off the building. There was no way she was going avoid all of them. She pushed all her focus outward through her horn and created a small dome of purple energy around herself.

No sooner had the dome formed than the rocks crashed down over her. The shield protected her from the full weight of the stones but she felt each impact like a punch to her gut. In a moment it was over. Twilight redoubled her focus trying to push the rocks away from her with the shield, but they were just too massive to lift without better leverage. She couldn’t use telekinesis without dropping the shield, but if the shield went down she’d be crushed before she could clear away enough rubble to get out from under the pile.

“Twilight!” she heard Luna scream, muffled by the debris. The rocks began to shift and clatter against one another, then they simply exploded into dust and harmless pebbles. The cloud of dust billowed outwards and Twilight dispelled her shield. She couldn’t see anything but a wall of grey.

“Luna? I’m OK!” called Twilight before she began to choke and cough from the dust she was breathing in. “I’m over *cough* over here!”

Instantly the alicorn was standing over her. she grabbed Twilight and pulled her out of the dust cloud into the fresh air. Twilight coughed a few more times and inhaled the clean oxygen her lungs were screaming for. Finally she was able to look up Luna. She noticed that the dust must have irritated the Princess’ eyes; they were all red, and tears were running down her cheeks.

“Are you OK, Princess?” Twilight asked.

Luna looked at her blankly. “Are we OK? Twilight, you just... we thought you were... you could have been...” she trailed off and began to sob.

Ponies were gathering around the fallen rocks. Miraculously, no other ponies seemed to have been hurt in the collapse. Twilight realized how upset Luna really was, and led her down a quiet side street before anypony else realized she was there and turned to her for leadership. Luna didn’t look like she was in any condition to provide it right now.

“It’s alright now, Luna. I’m fine, see? I’m really good at shields, remember?” She gave a small smile. “Hey, come on, you know I’m tougher than that. Those rocks were nothing compared to some of the stuff you threw at me a few months ago.” Twilight hoped a bit of levity would lighten the mood.

It didn’t. Luna stared at Twilight, a haunted look in her eyes. “That stupid fight. If we hadn’t been such a foalish idiot back then, you wouldn’t even have been in danger today to begin with. It’s... it’s all our fault that you almost died!” Luna broke down again. She wrapped her front legs around Twilight and pulled her tightly against her as she cried. “We are sorry, Twilight, we are so sorry for everything.”

Twilight returned the hug without saying anything, and they stayed there until Luna was able to collect herself

“I think my appetite’s gone now anyway. Why don’t we head back to the hotel and regroup?” suggested Twilight. Luna sniffled, but nodded and managed a small smile. They made their way back to the hotel. Word of the construction accident at the museum was spreading like wildfire in the streets, and they were barely noticed as they walked in the opposite direction of the ponies jostling one another to get a better look at the scene.

A few minutes later they arrived back at the hotel. As her adrenaline rush wore away, Twilight felt a lot shakier on her hooves than she had a moment before. She could feel it dawning on her that she had, indeed, nearly died. It was building in the back of her mind, threatening to overwhelm her. She pushed back the slowly growing desire to hide in a corner sobbing her eyes out, but knew it was only a matter of time. Gotta keep moving, keep thinking about something else she told herself.

Luna pushed open the door to the suite they shared “We do not know about you, Twilight Sparkle, but we feel that we have had more than enough excitement for... one... morning...” she trailed off as she looked at the room.

The room had been torn apart since they had left it. Their belongings were scattered all over the room, and even the cushions and mattresses had been slashed apart. Luna was too shocked to speak, but Twilight asked the question that was on both of their minds.

“What the buck is going on around here?”