• Published 13th Jun 2012
  • 16,825 Views, 923 Comments

Duel Nature - Eakin



After a close call, Twilight learns to defend herself

  • ...
72
 923
 16,825

Ship Wrecked 1/2

SHIP WRECKED (1/2)

Twilight’s mind spun as she tried to come to terms with the sudden revelation. She had been so sure that she’d had the identity of the mole figured out, she’d blinded herself to the possibility that it was somepony other than the Professor.

Bronze Bell removed the hood of his cloak. He at least had the good sense to look embarrassed and refused to meet Twilight’s gaze. “Hi Twilight. I’m really sorry about all this,” he said.

A million questions came to Twilight in a flash, but she settled on asking the only one that seemed to really matter. “Why? Why are you doing this?”

“Are you kidding? This could be the greatest archaeological find of the last thousand years! Think about all the artifacts and lost treasures that it must have squirrelled away in a hoard somewhere. Even better, think about the kinds of things it must know. If we could communicate with it we’d have a primary source to tell us about tens of thousands of years worth of history. And all the magics to control it are already built into Luna and Celestia’s seal. The potential boon is enormous,” said Bronze, forgetting to look chastised as he got caught up in his excitement.

“As we told you back at the museum, we are not going to allow that to happen,” said Luna, stepping into the back room followed by Reinolds. “Hello, Bronze Bell. Would you like to introduce us to your friend here?”

Gumdrop Giggles removed her own hood. Twilight was surprised not to see even a hint of the arrogance the pegasus had displayed back in the temple in her expression. Instead, she looked like she was on the verge of a panic attack. “Bronze, don’t get close to her! That’s the crazy psycho unicorn who came after us in the temple,” she said.

“What? That’s not what happened at all,” said Twilight.

“We were looking for the dagger and she showed up to stop us. When my crew tried to calm her down she lured them into the temple’s traps and let them die! I only barely got away, and only because my dear friend Amber Booty stayed behind to hold her off while we escaped back up the tunnel. I’ll... I’ll never forget her sacrifice,” said Gumdrop, sniffling through crocodile tears as she wove her tale.

Ample is just fine actually, no thanks to you. You’re the one who’s psycho around here,” said Twilight, crouching down into a combat stance. The residual magic from the ongoing ritual teased at the edge of her senses. Having that much ambient energy flowing around would make any fight a risky proposition. If she used magic that was too intense it could level the entire warehouse, or worse.

“Hey, Gumdrop is my friend, Twilight. Don’t call her a psycho,” said Bronze.

“She’s your friend?” asked Twilight, incredulous. “Bronze, she’s using you. This isn’t how friends act.”

“She is too my friend! Everypony else just thinks I’m some weird nerd because I like to talk about ancient civilizations and artifacts and stuff. None of them wanted anything to do with me before her, but she thinks that ancient legends about stuff like Ouroboros are interesting. She wanted to be around me and help me figure out the ritual, when nopony else ever did,” said Bronze through watery eyes.

Twilight’s eyes darted over to Gumdrop, standing behind Bronze. Now that Bronze’s attention was fixated on Twilight, her expression of concern had fallen away to reveal a wicked smirk. There had to be some way to get through to Bronze. “Bronze, I wanted to. I wanted to be your friend. I really like you, even now. It’s not too late to stop this and talk about it,” said Twilight, her voice soft and sincere. Bronze’s glare softened a little, and he even gave a small smile.

“Ugh, I can’t believe you’d try to manipulate him like that, Twilight. Honestly, I wish those rocks he dropped on you in front of the museum had finished you off,” said Gumdrop Giggles. Bronzes eyes went wide in alarm as Twilight processed what Gumdrop had just said. When it finally registered, her compassion and sympathy were obliterated by fiery rage.

“You... You rutting bastard... That was you? How could you, you monster,” Twilight hissed as her horn and eyes glowed. Forget the collateral damage, these two needed to die painfully.

“Sparkle! Take it easy,” said Reinolds. It took all of her willpower for Twilight to keep herself from teetering over the edge of self-control and doing something very, very stupid.

“Twilight, I swear I wasn’t trying to hurt you, that part was an accident. I was just trying to scare you guys, maybe make the museum shut down so I could get the information you and Luna gave me over to Gumdrop Giggles. I didn’t want the rocks to land on you, really,” said Bronze, shrinking away from the enraged mare.

“Why should I believe you? Why should I believe anything either of you say? I hate you, Bronze Bell. Both of you are horrible ponies. I can’t believe I thought I ever liked you,” said Twilight. Bronze just whimpered as he took in Twilight’s venom-laced words.

Angry as she was, Twilight decided to press her luck. She reached out with her magic and grabbed hold of the closest of the three artifacts, the plate. But before she could pull it towards her Gumdrop pinned it against the floor with her hoof. "Stop that, or I'l stomp on it right now," she said. Reluctantly, Twilight let it go.

“We will not permit the seal to be undone, even if we did believe that your intentions for doing so were noble,” said Luna. “No pony should wield the sort of power that Ouroboros represents. That sort of concentration of power in one pony’s hooves is dangerous and irresponsible.”

“Oh, that’s rich coming from you, Princess,” said Gumdrop Giggles. “You don’t seem all that concerned about all the power you and your sister have, how is this any different? Seems to me that you just don’t like the idea of having any competition.”

“We will be the first to admit that we have misused our powers at times, but we strive to make responsible use of them and to provide for our ponies. We have learned much about using it responsibly. You are talking about bringing back a power you which do not have the experience or wisdom to understand and using it as a weapon,” said Luna.

“So you get to have that kind of power because you’re just better than us. Good to know. Sorry, but I don’t buy that for a second and frankly I don’t need your approval. We’re done here,” said Gumdrop. Before any of the others could react, she lifted the plate high in the air and smashed it down against the bowl. Both of the artifacts shattered in the impact. “With the power of Ouroboros at my beck and call not even you can stop us, Princess. Ha ha ha ha ha ha!”

Nothing happened.

Gumdrop Giggles’ evil cackle slowed to more of a nefarious chuckle and then stopped entirely. “Bronze, what’s going on? Why isn't it working?” she asked.

“It is working. The seal is unraveling. It should be undone enough for Ouroboros to manifest within the next couple of hours,” said Bronze.

“The next couple of hours‽ Why didn't you say something? I thought it would be all instantaneous and dramatic and stuff,” said Gumdrop.

“The version of the ritual that does that required a blood sacrifice. I’m not hurting another pony just to save a few hours,” said Bronze.

“Hate to interrupt, but I think it’s safe to say that both of you are under arrest. Princess, can you stabilize the seal?” asked Reinolds.

Luna’s horn was already glowing. “At the current rate of degradation, we believe that we can maintain it long enough for Celestia to get here. Together we will be able to implement a more permanent solution,” she said.

Bronze just sighed and drooped his head. “Okay, I guess we surrender then,” he said.

“Like hell we surrender. You said we just need a blood sacrifice, right?” said Gumdrop, taking the dagger in hoof. “We can use Twilight, or the old stallion in the back there.”

Twilight couldn’t suppress a vicious grin. “Oh, please tell me you’re going to try. I still owe you for back in the temple, and I bet you aren’t so tough without a couple dozen goons backing you up.”

Before Twilight could line up a clear shot, Bronze Bell stepped between the two of them. “Both of you, stop it! I’m sick of ponies getting hurt because of me. Gumdrop, you’re my friend no matter what Twilight says. Twilight... I’d like to be your friend too someday, if you can ever forgive me for what I did to you at the museum. This summoning ritual isn’t worth losing either one of you. Please, both of you, just stop.”

Gumdrop Giggles blinked a few times and looked from Twilight to Bronze. “Bronze, you really mean it? You’d give up on Ouroboros just like that?”

Bronze stood in front of Gumdrop and put a hoof on her shoulder. “Of course I would. Some things are just more important,” said Bronze with a gentle, trusting smile.

Gumdrop Giggles thrust the dagger deep into his chest.

“That’s too bad.”

Bronze staggered backwards in shock, into the ritual circle, as Gumdrop yanked the now-bloodied dagger out and flicked the blade, sending blood droplets spattering onto the floor. Bronze Bell collapsed, and the runes around the circle began to glow.

“Bronze!” Twilight cried out, but she was forced away by a fresh surge of magic rippling out from the circle. The furious rush of light and sound left her reeling.

“The seal is deteriorating too quickly. We are not able to maintain it,” said Luna from somewhere nearby. There was the sound of breaking glass, and a moment later Twilight’s vision cleared enough for her to see again. Gumdrop Giggles was gone, having escaped through a broken second story window. Twilight screamed in frustration.

Bronze bell groaned from the middle of a puddle of blood. Realizing that he was still alive, Twilight rushed to his side, pressing her hooves against the gushing wound in his chest.

“Twilight... I think I messed it all up,” said Bronze, his voice a weak shadow of what it had been.

“No, it’s not that bad. We can fix this. We can fix you up. The Princess knows all sorts of healing magic, right Princess?” asked Twilight, looking desperately towards Luna. But Luna just bit her lip and turned away without answering.

“Anyone ever tell you that you’re a bad liar, Twilight? Maybe I deserved this, though. I knew Gumdrop did bad things, but I thought... I don’t know what I thought. Maybe I was just being selfish,” said Bronze.

“You don’t, Bronze. If anything, it was her who didn’t deserve you. Maybe if we’d met sooner, if things were different, I could have shown you that you’re more special than you think even if the ponies around here never saw it. I saw it. I swear I did. Please hold on, Bronze,” said Twilight through the tears that were beginning to fall, and that were swallowed up into the pool of blood they landed in.

“I almost asked you out earlier, right before you left for the temple. But I had just given you the fake location, and if you’d found out I would have about died of embarrassment. Guess I don’t have to worry about that now, huh?” Bronze tried to laugh, but it degenerated into a hacking, bloody fit of coughs. “Ow, that really hurts.”

“Don’t try to talk if it hurts, Bronze. You don’t have to say anything to me. I understand,” said Twilight, cradling his head in her lap. The light in his eyes was fading away, and they were half shut.

“Just try... I hope you can try to stop hating me for what I’ve done, someday,” said Bronze, letting his eyes close for the last time.

“Bronze, no, I’m sorry I said that, I was just so mad when I found out. I don’t hate you, I couldn’t. Please don’t think that.”

But Bronze Bell was already gone.

For a long minute Twilight just sat there next to his body, staring at her own bloodied hooves and trying to will herself to believe that this wasn’t really happening. Surely she would wake up any moment now in her bed and this would all turn out to be an awful dream. She never did.

“Twilight...” she heard Reinolds say from behind her. A few seconds later she stood up, but didn’t turn around. She could feel the ground trembling under her feet. Something was coming. Something big.

“Luna, try to keep however much of the seal intact as long as you can. If... when Ouroboros manifests, do whatever worked the last time. Captain, let the authorities know what we’re dealing with here. They’ll probably want to evacuate as much of Pensacolta as possible, but it won’t be easy in the middle of the night like this. I’m going to find Gumdrop Giggles,” said Twilight.

“Twilight, we sense that the ritual was successful. Gumdrop will be able to use the dagger to control the Serpent once it has manifested. We must be cautious. Neither of us should challenge her without some sort of plan,” said Luna.

“I’ll figure something out,” said Twilight. With a burst of teleportation magic, she vanished from the room, leaving Reinolds and Luna alone with Bronze's remains.