• Published 14th Feb 2016
  • 3,447 Views, 18 Comments

And 1000 Kisses - mouch30



Applejack planned everything down to the last detail. This was Rarity's favorite holiday, so why wasn't she happy about it?

  • ...
11
 18
 3,447

...Maybe 2000 Kisses?

This was Rarity’s favorite ice cream flavor.

Applejack paid the vendor and placed the carton into a chilled saddlebag, joining a bottle of sparkling cider and a bundle of wild strawberries.

This was Rarity’s favorite color.

Applejack caressed the smooth linen, calculating the length needed to act as a tablecloth.

This was Rarity’s favorite flower.

Applejack sniffed deeply, lost in the floral fragrance that emanated from the petals.

And this was Rarity’s favorite holiday.

A large ‘Happy Hearts and Hooves Day!’ banner hung over the Town Hall, reminding everypony that today was the day to properly spoil your special somepony; as if Applejack didn’t already dedicate most of her time to spoiling Rarity.

Rarity just loved being spoiled — it was somewhat a gift and a curse to anypony who dated her. Sure, some ponies enjoyed pleasing their partners, but with a demanding (and not to mention dramatic) pony like Rarity, it could easily turn into a burden, or even an annoying trait.

Not for Applejack. She had spent most of her life taking care of others. Her family, the farm, the other ponies in town, she watched over them and made sure to keep them safe and happy...because she had to.

She had to. But she didn’t have to cater to Rarity. No, she didn’t.

But she wanted to, and that was what made Rarity so special. Applejack badly wanted to please her, and even though she was constantly trying every day, she knew that this day was going to mean a whole lot more to her marefriend.

Perhaps some context is needed here.

Rarity, well, was always a beautiful pony. That was no lie.

However, growing up in the wrong body caused a bit of complications in her love life.

Teenagers could be cruel. Very, very cruel, and there were many times when Rarity would approach a mare or stallion, only to be met with sneers and japes about her mind and body. There were many times where she would ponder, alone in her room, dressed head to hoof in some dazzling ensemble, ‘What if I’m doomed to never find my special somepony?’
Applejack remembered her teenage years. She was no stranger to heartbreak at that time, but at least she was never subjected to such horrifying acts of prejudice.

She would watch Rarity flip the mane she was growing out, and bat her pretty blue eyes, but apparently she was still too coltish for the colts, too feminine for the mares, too weird for anypony; Rarity was caught in the middle of her transition.

It drove a dagger in Applejack’s heart to see somepony who she knew all her foalhood get treated so horribly. And that was why every Heart’s and Hooves Day had to be very, very special.

Bells broke through Applejack’s thoughts, bringing her roughly to the present. There was so little time to get everything ready!

She marched back to her barn, hooves skittish with excitement. She had to prepare the table, the decorations, their decadent meal…

She worked diligently. The cloth, a shimmering shell pink with ivory scalloping, draped elegantly over the table. Silver candlesticks held it down, along with Granny’s best china plates. The tools and barrels and stacks of hay were pushed to the back, barely visible in the darkness. She knew that Rarity would probably prefer a restaurant, but Applejack liked the idea of a little more privacy on this special day.

For a final touch, she scattered rose petals around their seating area, as well as the path leading towards the clearing.

Now, everything looked perfect.

A well brushed mane was something Rarity appreciated a lot, so of course, Applejack began to gently untangle her tresses, even opting to braid it into a chignon. Her dress, a ruby red number designed by her one and only, complimented her colors nicely.

Rarity was coming any minute now. The chilled cider was waiting in the ice bucket, and the hot plates were keeping their dinner warm. She could barely contain her excitement.

“Applejack, darling? Are you...oh my.”

Rarity’s eyes widened at the sight before her, from the artfully placed petals on the floor to her special somepony.

“H-hey, Rarity,” Applejack stammered, mouth full of cotton balls. “You look prettier than all of Luna’s stars tonight.”

It was true.

Rarity was dressed in a chilling blue ensemble, her mane encrusted with crystal drops. Where Applejack was warm, Rarity was cold.

“Th-thank you, dear,” Rarity replied. “You’re looking like quite the beauty tonight as well.”

Something felt wrong.

This wasn’t how Rarity was supposed to react. Where were the tears? The over the top ‘thank you’s? The gasps of delight?

“Let me get that for you.” Applejack pulled the chair back for the unicorn, and tucked her in. “On today’s menu,” she began in a posh accent, lifting the metal cover off the plates. “We have an arugula salad topped with chopped oats, and a fabulous cut of grass that’ll be sure to tickle your tastebuds.”

“How delightful,” Rarity murmured, giving Applejack a small smile. “You’ve outdone yourself this year, darling.”

“Well, I sure like treating you right, Rarity.”

“Mm.”

The meal...well, as delicious as it was, was tainted by the strange atmosphere. Applejack kept a close eye on Rarity, wondering what in Equestria was going on with her.

Dessert came and left, eliciting a few obligatory compliments from Rarity.

“That was a wonderful meal, Applejack,” she finally said, polishing off the last of the strawberries. “I can’t believe you remembered my favorite ice cream flavor.”

“Well, of course I did,” Applejack stated, shocked at the statement. “Why wouldn’t I?”

Rarity wouldn’t look her in the eyes.

“Rarity, you’ve been acting stranger than Pinkie Pie on one of her ‘days’.”

“I...oh, Applejack...How do I say this…”

A lump began to form in Applejack’s throat. “W-what do you want to say?”

Rarity looked up, gazing slowly around the room before settling onto Applejack’s eyes. “I can’t do this anymore.”

Was that glass breaking?

Or was that just Applejack’s heart?

“What?” she whispered, tears pooling in her eyes. “A-are you...breaking up with me?”

“Oh, good heavens, no! Of course not! Applejack...oh dear, are you crying?”

She roughly dragged a hoof across her eyes. “No.” She sniffed. “I got hay in my eyes.”

She felt Rarity’s cool foreleg wrap around her neck. “Applejack, my sweet, sweet Applejack. I would never, ever break up with you, especially since you went through all this trouble to create the most perfect night ever.”

“Then, what are you talking about?”

“It’s...this. Every year, you pull out these amazing dates out of your hat. A picnic by the lake, a surprise trip to the Crystal Empire, and that hot air balloon ride last year. It’s all...so wonderful, I just can’t handle it.”

“But don’t you like being treated like a princess? I’m trying so hard, Rarity. To make you feel loved.”

Rarity laughed, wiping a tear that had been trickling down her cheek. “Darling, of course I enjoy being treated like a princess. You’re doing a marvelous job of keeping me happy. I just want to return the favor.”

Applejack sighed, her shoulders slumping forward. “And here I am thinking you were gonna leave me,” she muttered.

“Never,” Rarity said, nuzzling Applejack’s cheek. “Never in a thousand moons.” She sighed, her breath warm on Applejack’s neck. “Applejack, I want to do something special for you.”

“Being my marefriend is plenty special to me.”

She shook her head. “You know what I mean, Applejack. I want to take you out. I want to give you a night you’ll remember, I want to shower you with roses and gifts. But I can never think of what to get you, or where you would like to go. Oh darling, it’s so easy to get me a gift. I’m so stereotypical and boring.”

“You’re not boring!” Applejack insisted.

“Oh, hush, dear. I may be a creative soul, but my wants are extremely bland. But you...you’re more than what you let ponies see on the surface. I...we’ve been dating for so long, dear, and not once have I ever thought about how you feel, about what you want. I’m so selfish…” She bent her head. “I’m so sorry, Applejack. I never meant to treat you so poorly.”

“No, no, Rarity! You know I’m not a fan of all that fancy, fluffy business! You have given me something, sugar cube. Your love is all I need.”

Rarity giggled once more, weaker this time. “How in Equestria did I land such an amazing mare like you?”

The farm pony shrugged. “I could say the same thing. And don’t worry, Rarity. If it makes you feel better, you can arrange next year’s event.”

“Hmm...and what would you like?” Rarity asked, a smile playing on her face. “What about a boat ride, or perhaps a camping trip to the Whitetail Woods?”

“But you hate camping,” Applejack pointed out.

“Yes, but you like it,” Rarity said. “Hush, it’s my plan, not yours.”

“Oh? And what sort of gifts are you gonna get me?” Applejack said with a smirk. “I’m gonna expect at least one thousand roses.”

“Well then, that’s exactly what I’ll get you!” Rarity threw her hooves around Applejack in a tender embrace. “I’ll give you one thousand roses, one thousand apples…”

“We have enough apples!”

“You can never have enough apples. Hmm, what else? And one thousand kisses.”

Applejack burst out laughing. “You sure you can handle giving me one thousand kisses in one day?”

Rarity sighed. “Oh dear, you’re right! That couldn’t work...unless I start now!” She began peppering Applejack’s face and neck with kisses, making loud smacking noises with each one.

“H-hey! That tickles,” shrieked Applejack, falling off her chair. Rarity tumbled down with her, and they both began to laugh.

“Only 900 more kisses left,” Rarity whispered into Applejack’s ear.

“Did I say one thousand? I meant two thousand,” Applejack whispered back.

“Sh.” Rarity placed a hoof on Applejack’s lips. “That’s next next year’s gift.”

Author's Note:

Just a little fluffly fic for Hearts and Hooves Day :) featuring my OTP

Comments ( 17 )

So cute :twilightsmile: Thanks for letting me pretend I did more than fix a couple of typos :scootangel:

Rarity is Trans? Why is it always Rarity or Fluttershy are the Transgender in the Mane Six? I don't have a problem with it (Hell, I emplore it) but I would like to see Pinkie or Applejack be Transgender (Pinkie would be interesting if it included Shipped.....)

6936159 Oh dear, the picture seems to be blocked in my country :/ whatever could it be?


6936246 Whaaat? You totally helped me with more than just fixing typos, you silly.


6937824 Yes, Rarity is trans as my HC. Hmm, I never noticed that trend before, but now that I think about it, I can't get the thought out of my head. It could be something with their femininity, but I am not an expert on trans issues, so I don't think I should be giving any reasons. I HC her as trans because of the time in the MMM episode where she loses a fake eyelash, and since stallions don't have eyelashes, I just immediately made the connection.
I do HC Applejack as a demi-girl (she's my second favorite pony, and I identify as a demi-girl as well [if that term is confusing, it means someone who only partially (not wholly) identifies as a girl or woman, whatever their assigned gender at birth]) so I'll be touching up on that in my other fics, but you're right. The other ponies do deserve more diverse gender identities as well! Thank you very much for your feedback on my story :)

It's a cute story. I am fine with it being established that Rarity is Trans, but the addition of that information doesn't seem pivotal to the plot of the story. Maybe it is and I didn't see it, but that's the feeling I get.

gj! Kappa! Stay determined....

6937944 It is somewhat important to the story. The whole reason that Applejack is trying so hard to make Rarity feel so loved is because when Rarity was younger, she was teased a lot for coming out as trans at high school (well, in my headcannon, lol). Applejack witnessed this, and when they later fell in love, remembered all the pain that Rarity went through. I'm going to write a longer fic about them soon, which would detail everything about their relationship, though.

Thank you very much for your feedback! I appreciate your comments.

6937858 Shoot! It's the quote from Despicable Me : "It's so fluffy I'm gonna die! " ^^'

I just decided to read this, and it gets 100% approval from me, even though I don't really ship AJ and Rares. Good job!

I personally dislike Rarijack. But this fic... sooo cuuute :applecry:

Haha! Nice! Why'd you stop writing it though?

Gah, so cute. Arm... Numb...

*Dies*

...worth it...

This is a very cute and moving story. I liked that Applejack was so supportive of Rarity and treated her so wonderfully. When other ponies saw her as strange or different, AJ saw her as unique and beautiful because of her character and not her appearance. Thank you for writing this delightful tale. I hope you can expand on it at some point. It would be a good story about how love is the same no matter what the circumstances.

7704450 Here lies TheWraithWriter: He wasn't ready. LMAO!!!!!

Heartwarming!!!! I love it!!!!!!!!!

Its good to be greatful with what you have

Nice, this was short but oh so sweet. :raritystarry:

Login or register to comment