• Published 8th Feb 2016
  • 547 Views, 1 Comments

Chrissie - lola2901



Young Princess Chrysalis has never been outside the hive before, but on an undercover mission to Canterlot, she starts to wonder what she might be missing,

  • ...
 1
 547

Chapter One

I step out of the shadow of the cave and into the light, squinting against the brightness of the sun. They say Celestia can see everything that the sunlight touches. Either they’re wrong, or we’re too far out of her way to bother with. I honestly hope they’re wrong. We are never safe if the Equestrians know where we are.

The air is cooler outside of the tunnels, all though everything here is hot. Grimacing, I wipe my mane from where it sticks to my damp forehead, taking a deep breath.

“My princess?”

I jump slightly, but when I turn it’s only Kade. He steps up beside me, a flash of concern flickering through his sky-toned eyes. “The queen sent me to come with you,” he continues, bowing. “Some of the prisoners kept in The Hollow are dangerous.”

“Right,” I say shaking my head to clear it of thoughts. “Right. Monarch said the patrol is leaving at dusk, so we’d better get going,” I murmur. My stomach twists as the thoughts I’ve been pushing down burble to the surface. She might as well sentence me to death. Everyone knows I’m awful at transforming. I’d sooner be eaten by the tatzel worm than go deep cover in Canterlot.

“You’re going to be fine,” Kade says quietly, his wings beating as he kicks off, flying just above the ground.

Taking a deep breath, I nod, and turn, taking the steep path down. It’s easier than flying-for me, at least. Truth be told, I’m not the best of fliers.

The path down is steep, and the rocks roll away beneath my feet as I pick my way down the path. My hooves quickly become sore-I’m not used to the journey down. Finally the path, if you could even call it that, evens out, and I’m standing on flat ground.

Kade lands next to me, grimacing as he stretches his wings. “Lead the way, my princess,” he says politely, giving me a hesitant look of concern. I know he wants to comfort me more, but I ignore it.

“Right,” I say, echoing myself for the third time. I walk across the short stretch between the foot of the mountain and the crumbling village we call The Hollow.

We walk between the decaying houses, and I glance at the shadowy doorways, each a gaping hole. After a while, I choose a house at random, ducking inside, Kade close behind.

Withered creatures lay against the walls, slumped against the chains holding them back. Hesitantly, I looks at the ponies, swallowing a lump in my throat. There eyes are cold and dark, nearly drained of the love farmed from them day in and out.

Looking in their eyes, I understand why this place is called the hollow.

“Chrissie? Erm, I mean, Princess Chrysalis?” Kade corrects himself, making me jump. I glance at him only a heartbeat before he shifts, disappearing in a flash of green flame. A gray pegasus stands in his place, a brighter stronger copy of one chained to the wall. “Are you ready?”

“Oh, right!” I glance at the ponies chained to the wall, looking between them quickly to avoid meeting their eyes. I settle on a white pegasus with blue hair, struggling as I do my best to match her appearance. “Did I do alright?”

He looks me over, chewing the inside of his lip thoughtfully. “You’re a bit taller, and your eyes are still green. You’re keeping your hat on, then?”

I flush, putting a hoof up to my orange beanie. “I-I can leave it behind, if I need,” I say quickly.

Kade shakes his head, smiling. “No, it’s fine your highness. We better get going,” he says, heading out the door. I turn to follow him, but a raspy voice stops me in my footsteps.

“Face stealer.” Hesitant, I glance back. The pony who’s form I copied was the one who spoke, looking at me uncaringly with those empty eyes. No hope. No joy. “You’ll never be happy, a monster like you,” she rasps. “You’ll never accept yourself and they’ll never accept you.” The mare’s faces twists into a smile, but there’s no real happiness in it. “I look forward to dying. But I doubt you’ll get so lucky as us.”

Wincing, I hurry to turn away, following Kade quickly. She’s just a pony, her words mean nothing. But still, a chill runs down my spine.

“Is mom-I mean, Queen Monarch coming to see us off?” I ask hopefully, desperate for any sort of sign she actually cares.

Kade grimaced, shaking his head. “Sorry your highness. One of the larger hives to the south cut off trade, and she’s been in a debate with their ambassador all morning. I’m sure she would have come if she could.”

“The meeting already ended, didn’t it?” I say dully, biting back a sigh. I should have expected as much. She is shipping me out, after all, why would she care to see me off?”

“Well I’m not allowed to say whether-”

“It’s alright, Kade,” I say, offering him a forced smile. “I should have known she wouldn’t come. What’s Canterlot like, anyway?”

He pauses, lighting up slightly. “I’ve actually never been myself, but my brother Stinger was sent on a mission there once. He says it’s nothing like here. Plants are everywhere, except they aren’t sharp or toxic. They don’t even live in tunnels, they live in massive spiral towers that go way high! There’s color everywhere, and no one’s ever worried about tatzel worms or monsters attacking because the princess has all the power of the sun and the moon and-!” he cuts himself off, flushing when he realizes he got carried away in his eagerness. “That’s what I’ve heard, anyway. It can’t all be true of course, but I can’t wait to see it for myself.”

“I just hope I don’t blow our cover,” I say with a grimace, my coat flickering briefly back to it’s usual black chitin. “I’d take fighting tatzel worms and sunstroke over Tartarus any day.”

Comments ( 1 )

A nice start. More please.

Login or register to comment