• Published 8th Feb 2016
  • 16,755 Views, 222 Comments

Raven - SaintChoc



Anyone who has sought counsel from Princess Celestia has met Raven, her most faithful aide. She has been a veritable second shadow to the princess for as long as the castle staff can remember... longer than they can remember, in fact. Much longer.

  • ...
15
 222
 16,755

Part 2

Raven paced throughout the castle lobby, nervous, restless. The sun had risen, which was certainly a good sign in itself—but it was not the most pressing thing on Raven's mind. She wore a rut in the carpet, praying those doors would open with good news.

Finally, she heard the rich sound of hooves against the drawbridge. Raven turned and stood frozen, her heart beating inordinately fast, her eyes locked on the door.

The great double doors opened, and for a moment Raven could only see the leading procession of guards. Eight guards filed in and flanked the carpet, standing at attention. There was no fanfare—that would have come earlier.

Raven only saw Celestia, and her heart sank; but a second look revealed that Celestia had a wing wrapped around a figure at her side, held close.

Celestia looked at Raven, and Raven saw more life in her eyes than ever before. Celestia unfurled her wing, revealing a blue, timid pony not much larger than Raven herself.

"Luna...!" Raven breathed, her eyes welling up. She ran forward, meeting the pair just inside the entrance as the guards shut the door. Luna's eyes focused, and then widened.

"R-Raven?" Luna spoke quietly. "...H-how?"

Raven hugged her tightly, tears escaping from her eyes. "You look just like when I last saw you." She looked up at Celestia, an uncontrollable grin on her face.

Luna said nothing for a moment. She slowly wrapped a hoof around Raven, hugging her back, her voice trembling. "It is… heartening to know that this is how thou last sawest me." She shut her eyes tight.

Celestia noticed some of the guards looking at Raven, then at each other, confused. She planted a lingering kiss on Luna's forehead, then spoke. "Guards! Come. Let us ensure Luna's quarters are prepared." Raven heard Luna's quiet, happy laughter in response to those words as she broke the hug.

Celestia walked up the stairs with the guards, looking back at Luna. "I'll be just upstairs, Sister." She blinked back yet another flood of tears. "I'll never be far from you again. Remember that." She turned a corner, out of sight.

Luna and Raven smiled at Celestia's disappearing form. "...Thou stayedst with her," Luna said.

"What else was I to do?" Raven replied. "She needed me."