• Published 14th Feb 2016
  • 17,424 Views, 1,800 Comments

Awful Lot of Coffee in Equestria - NorrisThePony



A collection of Celestia, Luna, and Cadance's cynical conversations over coffee.

  • ...
25
 1,800
 17,424

PreviousChapters Next
This Chapter is Literally About Maple Syrup

"So, why this place?"

One look around the diner, and Cadance's question was not an odd one. The diner was hardly filthy, but nowhere near fitting for three princesses.

"Indeed!" Luna's voice was muffled and bits of toast crumbs fell out of her mouth as she spoke. "Sister dearest, why—of all the places in Canterlot—did you settle on—"

"For goodness sake, Luna, swallow your food!" Celestia barked. "I have my reasons."

Cadance was unconvinced.

"And they are?"

"Good reasons."

"Which are?!"

Celestia sighed and stuffed some potato wedges into her mouth.

"The maple syrup," the solar princess said after a moment.

Cadance and Luna stared.

"I am not joking. For some reason I cannot explain, the syrup in this particular diner is absurdly good."

"The... syrup?" Cadance blinked.

"And the jam," Celestia nodded. "And even the ketchup packets are oddly superior."

Both alicorns continued to stare.

"Just try them," Celestia said, shoveling one of her pancakes onto Cadance's empty plate.

Cadance obeyed, peeling the lid off a syrup packet and swirling the pancake inside the viscous liquid.

Luna assaulted Celestia's plate with a fork and stole a good portion as well.

Then, after eating the syrup, both princesses looked up and stared directly at Celestia, who was wearing a smug grin.

"See?"

"........"

"....Why?" Luna finally said. "They look literally identical! Why are they absurdly delicious?! I do not even like maple syrup!"

Cadance, however, was not as easily convinced. "Auntie... are you telling me you frequent a subpar diner because you have a preference to their syrup?"

"Are you telling me you'd prefer a fancy diner in favor of mediocre syrup?" Celestia returned without delay. "Cadance, when it's 8AM and you haven't gotten any coffee down your throat yet, you couldn't care less about a diner's interior aesthetics. Good food, by comparison, is a godsend."

"But... but... who bases their morning schedule around breakfast food?!"

"I do," Celestia narrowed her eyes. "And Luna does, too."

"I don't!"

"Except with coffee, instead," Celestia added. "And she does not base her morning schedule around coffee, rather, coffee dictates her attitude for the rest of the day."

"That's not..." Luna began, then one gaze at her empty mug and she trailed off. "Eh, it's true. Actually, have either of you seen the waitress? I need a top-off."

"Trust me, Cadance," Celestia said. "It is vitally important. Have you ever tasted gross pancakes before? All plain and goopy? That isn't a taste one can easily get out of their mouth."

"But... but... why don't you just take some of the packets from here and stuff them into your mane or something?"

"Are you suggesting stealing?" Celestia gasped. "Cadance!"

"Seriously," Luna agreed. "That's cold, Cadance."

"I... I don't even want to glorify that with a response," Cadance facehoofed. "You two are insane."

"My dear niece," Celestia said learnedly. "When you get to be as old as Luna and I, you retain certain valuable tidbits of information. And one such tidbit is the importance of condiments. Have you ever eaten a hayburger without ketchup or mustard? Was it any good? I sincerely doubt it. Ketchup is conveniently coloured, for it is the lifeblood of good tasting food. The same applies for jam and syrup. "

Cadance facehoofed again, and reached for the alcohol menu.

She cast a glance at the clock on the wall—twenty after twelve.

"Early enough," she shrugged, and hailed a nearby waitress.

Author's Note:

Based on true events.

PreviousChapters Next