• Published 14th Feb 2016
  • 17,419 Views, 1,800 Comments

Awful Lot of Coffee in Equestria - NorrisThePony



A collection of Celestia, Luna, and Cadance's cynical conversations over coffee.

  • ...
25
 1,800
 17,419

PreviousChapters Next
What Is To Never Be Is To Be And Should Never Be

"This is the salt," Cadance growled, tossing the shaker roughly across the table. "I asked for sugar, you halfwit!"

"Oh! I apologize!" Celestia chuckled, passing the appropriate shaker with a sheepish smile. "I'm awfully distracted this morning, it seems. Good thing you noticed before it ended up in your coffee, Caddy!"

"Good thing for you," Cadance said. "And I thought I told you not to call me that."

Celestia blinked in surprise, but maintained her polite composure. "Right, I'm sorry. You did."

"How many times do I need to repeat myself before you actually get it, Aunt Celestia? Aren't you supposed to be the smart one?"

"Uh..." Luna blinked. "Cadance, she said sorry. Again... is everything alright?"

"Yes," Cadance growled. "I should be asking the same for you two. Why is it necessary for me to have to repeat everything to you blithering fools?"

"You... you just seem to be quite grumpy this morning, Cadance," Luna said. "If there's anything Celly or I can help you with—"

"You can help me by shutting your fester-some trap."

Luna gawked in surprise but complied, her lip quivering a little. Celestia, however, bristled with evident frustration.

"Cadance I get that you're upset, but I can't just let you talk to my sister like that!"

Luna blushed at Celestia's defenisveness, but nodded nonetheless. "Cadance, I'm sure it might help if you talk about whatever is bothering you."

"When was the last time you were sure about anything, you blithering marechild?" Cadance seethed. "No. Trust me. I am fine. The matters which concern me do not concern you nor Aunt Celestia. So be silent."

And thus, there was silence.

Right until a familiar voice rung out.

"Hey girls! Sorry I'm late! You'll never guess what Shining—"

Silence.

"Um..." Cadance blinked in shock at... a mirror image of herself blinking at her in shock from the restraunt booth.

"Who the hell are you?!" The Cadance sitting next to Luna in the restaurant booth barked out, her surprised look vanishing to one of fury.

The still-gawking Cadance facehoofed violently. "Alright, Queen Chrysalis. You're gonna have to try harder than that."

"Father of a braindead nymph..." The first Cadance growled. There was a flare of green magic, and then Luna nearly jumped out her spine as she realized she was sitting directly beside the infamous Queen Chrysalis.

"I have several questions," Luna piped up.

"I imagine we all do," Celestia said, frowning in focus.

Then, the sun princess scooted a little to make way for Cadance, who simply stared at the seat directly before Chrysalis before reluctantly sitting in front of the changeling queen.

"How is life, Princess Cadance?" Chrysalis sneered. "Get locked in any subterranean caverns recently?"

"Depends." Cadance sneered back. "Get your bitchy ass catapulted half across Equestria recently?"

Chrysalis frowned. "Care for a rematch, Princess?"

"Yeah, against all three of us," Celestia retorted. "Good luck. What are you trying to pull, Queen Chrysalis?"

"Surely there's no harm in simply sitting innocently in a coffee shop?"

"There is when you're a multi-nationally recognized fugitive."

"I'm innocent!"

All three princesses rose their eyebrows simultaneously.

“Well, marginally innocent," Chrysalis elaborated. "Like, 20% innocent."

“Uh huh. Conspiracy,” Celestia recounted. “Kidnapping. Stealing magic. Attempted murder. Intrusion into Equestrian soil.”

“Wait wait wait!” Chrysalis cut in sharply. “What the hell was that last one? You made that one up! That’s not a crime!”

"Again, multi-national fugitive. Different rules apply to you."

"Well, point is, I'm not doing any of that stuff now. I'm just here to chat."

"Chat," Cadance repeated.

"Yeah! With no ulterior motives whatsoever! I promise!"

"Then why did you even bother disguising yourself!"

"Oh please. You wouldn't have let me get within a foot of Canterlot if I hadn't. I'm sure that's been made clear to the guard. Speaking of which, how is our husband doing?"

Cadance sputtered. "EXCUSE ME?! Our husband?!"

"Well, come on. In all technicality, I married him first. So really, he's cheating on me by living with you."

Silence.

"She's not wrong," Luna chirped. "And the child situation only complicates things further."

"Wait, child?" Chrysalis cocked her head.

"Yes!" Cadance said triumphantly, happy for some additional thread to leap onto. "I'm a mother now!"

"I'm an aunt?!" Queen Chrysalis cried, her eyes growing wide and a massive smile splitting across her face. "By jove! That changes everything!"

Cadance blinked. "Um..."

"I've always wanted to be an Aunt, but changelings don't do that sort of thing. We're more the 'go-to-war-with-our-brothers-and-sisters-for-dominance' type," Chrysalis chattered. "So? What's her name?!" Why haven't you shown her to me?! You mean to tell me you didn't even invite me to the baby shower?"

Cadance blinked again. "Are... are you actually being serious right now?"

Chrysalis did not seem to hear her. "We can have a family get-together! A family reunion! My 1,232 children can meet yours! We'd be one big, happy, illegitimate family!"

Cadance blinked for a third time.

Then, she looked to Celestia and Luna in desperation.

Luna shrugged. "That honestly sounds like it would be quite a lot of fun. Although I already thought you were an ant, Queen Chrysalis."

Chrysalis glared at Luna, but said nothing.

Celestia blushed as she broke the silence. "I admit I also like the sound of that. Plus the diplomatic repercussions of potential changeling and pony peace."

"Have you two lost it?" Cadance shrilled. "This is Chrysalis we're talking about! She's a changeling!"

"Wow! Racist!" Chrysalis brought a hoof to her chest in obviously-faux offense. "I'm just a poor old mare trying to provide for her swarm of children!"

"Queen Chrysalis. Seriously," Cadance said, facehoofing. "Why the blazes are you here?"

"Initially?" Chrysalis waved a hoof. "To collect child support and alimony payments. Shining Armor owes me..." Chrysalis frowned and materialized a pocket calculator, punching a few buttons. "One-hundred-and-thirty billion bits."

"How do you figure—!"

"Twelve hundred and thirty two little hatchlings. That's how. But you're starting a family of your own? That changes everything!"

Cadance facehoofed. "You can't possibly hope I'm stupid enough to host a family reunion and invite a changeling army to it!"

"Well, sister-in-law..." Chrysalis began, smiling as Cadance cringed. "There's always the monetary alternative I came here for."

"Yeah, right! Like you could possibly prove that in a court of law."

Silence.

Cadance frowned as Celestia sheepishly hid behind a dessert menu.

"Celestia..." Cadance growled. "Tell her she's full of crap! Spew some legal junk at her."

"I... actually don't know if I can," Celestia admitted. "Chrysalis might have some legal footing there."

"You're kidding me."

"Sadly, I'm not."

"What the hell kind of system is that?"

"I'm sorry," Celestia said earnestly. "I guess I didn't factor in zombified-pony-minds and shapeshifting-bugs when I wrote my statutes on divorce law."

"Family get-together it is!" Chrysalis cried triumphantly. "This day is going to be—"

"Finish that sentence," Cadance barked. "... And I swear, I'll shove a can of insecticide down your throat."

Author's Note:

So, you people wanted a Chrysalis chapter.

So I wrote one.

And I might continue the narrative implied in this one as an independent story, depending on whether or not there is interest.

PreviousChapters Next