• Published 14th Feb 2016
  • 17,408 Views, 1,800 Comments

Awful Lot of Coffee in Equestria - NorrisThePony



A collection of Celestia, Luna, and Cadance's cynical conversations over coffee.

  • ...
25
 1,800
 17,408

PreviousChapters Next
In A Café, Plenty Of People Can Hear You Scream So Keep Your Voice Down

"Alright, so I'm bringing the beverages," Celestia said. "Cadance, you're on chip duty. Choose wisely—I don't wish to lose my tongue to an assault of Salt and Vinegar like last time."

"Whatever, Auntie. Things would be a lot easier if you didn't have some sort of embargo on cheese-products."

"Twilight is going to be there," Celestia explained. "Blame her picky preferences."

"Can you two refresh my memory," Luna rubbed her temples. "I haven't been paying attention and I feel like it would be cosmically convenient for everypony involved for you to reiterate."

"Scary movie night!" Cadance said gleefully.

"Scary... movie...?" Luna stared blankly. "Like, moving pictures? Sorry, I'm still a little new to this generation."

"Yep, scary movies. You should see your pansy older sister during them."

"I'm not a..." Celestia began, but then sighed and broke off. "Eh. I guess I do get frightened from those films."

"I still find that amazing," Cadance said. "Like, you've faced terrifying beasts without breaking your whole regal princess routine—one of which was literally a nightmare demon, I might add—but ponies in rubber suits on screens have you hiding behind your wings. Or pretending to go to the bathroom every time a character is left alone in a dark room."

"Well, they cut out all the music so that it's just eerie silence, and then something pops up out of nowhere with a loud screech... it's not scary so much as it's terrifyingly irritating."

Cadance rolled her eyes. "Gosh, you're sounding like Twilight now, with her running nitpicky commentary," Cadance said, and then spoke in a poor imitation of the youngest princess: "...'Technically, blood wouldn't squirt like that from that sort of wound,' or 'According to Starswirl's biography, traditional earth pony witch-hunts didn't look anything like this. That's all a movie-industry exaggeration,' or chainsaws wouldn't sound like that cutting through flesh.'"

"...And then she falls asleep," Celestia added, smirking.

"Ah, good ol' Twilight," Cadance breathed. "Too bookish to be scared."

"Then there's you, Cadance," Celestia said. "Just completely stoic the whole time, besides a few little flinches during jump-scares."

"First of all, I'm a mother," Cadance replied, with a smug frown. "So I know what actual horror is. Second of all, after you've seen one crappy scary movie, you've seen every crappy scary movie. Still fun, but I'm well aware it's dumb fun."

Luna simply stared from Cadance to Celestia, looking positively bewildered.

"I'm still confused," she admitted. "Why would somepony willingly frighten themselves in the first place?"

"I dunno, Luna," Cadance grinned devilishly. "Why would somepony willingly torture themselves?"

"Touché." Luna frowned. "But that was from a nightmare-creation created by an extreme amount of dark magic. Why in the name of sanity would you three be afraid of images on a screen?"

"I think it's mostly what Aunt Celly said," Cadance replied. "It's not scary so much as it's the whole 'bait-and-switch-silent-then-suddenly-loud' crap."

"Y'know, if it weren't for the threat of it escaping and destroying Equestria, I'd say we should all share a nightmare every once in awhile," Luna said. "Like a haunted house but more convincing. Then you'd really see what it means to be frightened."

Cadance cocked her head. "That... would actually be awesome. One of those die-and-you-wake-up deals. Honestly, that would be way cooler than a scary movie."

"Makes me wonder what character-archetypes we'd all be," Celestia said. "Assuming we're all magic-less victims and not alicorns, obviously."

"Ooh, that's a good question!" Cadance nodded feverishly. "You're good at this sorta thing, Auntie. What do you think we would be?"

Celestia frowned pensively. "I don't mean to sound rude, but I believe Luna would be the 'I'm gonna go check a sketchy basement with just a flashlight' character."

"Yeah, honestly that sounds about right," Cadance agreed, smirking. "Sorry Luna."

"I'm completely lost," Luna said simply. "But whatever sails your boats."

"What about me, Auntie?" Cadance said.

"Uh..." Celestia pursed her lips and stirred her tea thoughtfully. "You're the friendly, likeable comic relief. You last until the third act and everypony feels bad when you finally die and they hate the villain even more for the climax."

Cadance shrugged. "I'll take it. That leaves Twilight and yourself."

"Twilight is the bookish one who figures out the killer or curse for the audience to know, but is axed off before she can tell the other characters. Myself?" Celestia frowned. "I do not know."

"As much as I hate to say it," Cadance said. "I think you're the most likely candidate for Last Survivor."

"No way!" Luna barked. "I don't even fully understand what you two are talking about and I still disagree!"

"Eh," Cadance sipped her cappuccino. "She's the nice and soft-spoken one who is in the background most of the time but takes center-stage when everypony else starts freaking out. Nopony really expects her to be the last one so naturally, she is. Seems right to me."

"Ironic," Celestia said. "Considering we all agreed I was the least likely to win a magic-duel. Then again, I guess surviving is entirely different from trying to kill your friends in cold blood."

"I'm still lost," Luna said bluntly.

"Well then join us tonight!" Cadance said, flashing Luna a smile. "Bit of dumb, cheesy fun. Although between Twilight's booksmarts and your knowledge of nightmares I feel like the two of you would never shut up."

"Good," Celestia said. "I prefer Twilight's intelligent quips anyways."

"Sure, because she mutes the movie every time she does," Cadance said. "You coward."

Celestia had a sharp denial on her tongue, but she didn't like to lie to her niece. So she looked away instead. When she spoke, her tone was somewhere between indignant and mirthful.

"Just bring the damn chips, Cadance."

Author's Note:

As much as I don't like to admit so, I think I'm the 'I'm gonna go check a sketchy basement with just a flashlight' character.

I'm think I'm gonna try and keep up the 1000 word chapters from now on.

PreviousChapters Next